• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Alexander452

What's better in horror games? First or Third person?

15 posts in this topic

This subject has annoyed me alot.

What's perspective is better for a horror game ?

Personally i like First person horror games better, as it gives you better immersion and the scares are more close up than in Third person games which has you behind the character at all times. (if you exclude fixed camera angles)

And the Third person games that i have played were more "intense" than scary (For example RE 1 and RE4), not saying that they were bad, but not scary at all. 

But what are your favourite perspective?

First person games cause when you get into them you begin to imagine your the character and most likely will scream when something jumps out at you in game or irl.

I don't have a favorite personally but I believe each are right in their own aspect. It depends on what function your game is meant to support more and how well it show cases it in that atmosphere.

Alexander452 likes this

Actually going to say 3rd person - the reason being that in the old days of Survival Horror, (Resident Evil, Silent Hill and even Dino Crisis) part of the challeng and the fear was that combat was kind of clunky and difficult- in most 1st person games they now default to standard shooter controls. Even Alien Isolation (whcih I really liked) had this.

That's just my preference though and not to say that I can't play or don'f find 1st person games scary. 

I think it depends. For example third person was very well executed in Dead Space games but in some it's just bad and first person is better.

I think it comes down to how well they develop their game. I feel that a first person can be better if they can get you immersed in the environment and it also gives you a limited view allowing for things to sneak up on you. There hasn't been a really good example lately. I am hoping the new silent hill can bring us back to the glory days of survival horror.

to me, an fps is an fps. whether it's horror, comedy, action, online multiplayer game like COD, whatever... it's still an FPS. and FPS games are so god damn boring to me... played them for over a decade of my life. for me personally, a horror game is best like the old resident evils or 3rd person.

the absolute best example is the resident evil HD remake. that's the best kind of horror game, where every scene is a still image and the only things that move are you and something that's going to kill you. running down corridors where nothing is moving but you and there is still silence is the scariest thing because you just dont know if something will happen or not... a horror game excels in bringing the player suspense and making them nervous. these kind of camera angles work brilliantly in that way.

1st person, you just cant capture the same atmosphere like that. you rely on making your environments dark to blind the player's constant running around swinging the camera left and right in 1st person, and of course over the top jump scares. but once you die in these 1st person modern horror games, you start right back at the checkpoint. that's bad.

part of the horror in playing a horror game is the fear of dying in the game, because you have to start all over from your last save and that could have been hours before. the fear of losing that progress adds to the suspense.

to me, an fps is an fps. whether it's horror, comedy, action, online multiplayer game like COD, whatever... it's still an FPS. and FPS games are so god damn boring to me... played them for over a decade of my life. for me personally, a horror game is best like the old resident evils or 3rd person.

the absolute best example is the resident evil HD remake. that's the best kind of horror game, where every scene is a still image and the only things that move are you and something that's going to kill you. running down corridors where nothing is moving but you and there is still silence is the scariest thing because you just dont know if something will happen or not... a horror game excels in bringing the player suspense and making them nervous. these kind of camera angles work brilliantly in that way.

1st person, you just cant capture the same atmosphere like that. you rely on making your environments dark to blind the player's constant running around swinging the camera left and right in 1st person, and of course over the top jump scares. but once you die in these 1st person modern horror games, you start right back at the checkpoint. that's bad.

part of the horror in playing a horror game is the fear of dying in the game, because you have to start all over from your last save and that could have been hours before. the fear of losing that progress adds to the suspense.

So first person is bad because "you rely on making your environments dark to blind the player's constant running around swinging the camera left and right" and third person is good because " there is still silence is the scariest thing because you just dont know if something will happen or not". I fail to see how that is much different. You also said the same thing with the checkpoints, and labeled it as a bad in first person but good in third person. :(

A good suvival horror game is one that messes with your mind. One that not only gives you a reason to fear something but also the fact that you have to face it to move on. The only real example I can give recently was the silent hill playable trailer. THAT ladies and gents, is survival horror. If they can make the whole game like that... I will be extremely excited but also very terrified to play it.

Dane2hip48 likes this

i like first person cause like you said it feels like i'm there. third person is okay but not as scary as first person 

This is a tough one. As seph said, first person is a more immersive, realistic perspective, but it leaves the door open to cheep jump scares and scripted events. In third person is more difficult to get right, but because of that it forces more creative thinking.

As fringe said, the old school Resident Evil games did this very well.

Ultimatly, the key to a great horror game for me is atmosphere. That can be achieved regardless of perspective.

Alexander452 and fridgeracer like this

Also there are things that you can do in 3rd personn you cant do in 1st - like in Dead Space where you have little nasty bug things crawl on you and you have to shake them off. Or like eternal Darkness where one of the insanity effects is you start losing limbs one by one.

Of course there are things that only work in first person. I would argue Alien Isolation's "I dun been stabbed with alien tail death" would not work half as well in 3rd person. 

Dane2hip48 and Alexander452 like this

I used to think first person is the better solution for horror games because of Amnesia: TDD, now that I'm reading this topic I would say you should be able to swap between first and third person.

I like first person better. I think it its more immersive and scarier that you don't always know what is surrounding you like in real life. these games are often made to make you feel defenseless so that's why i prefer first person