• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Shagger

I'm at the end of my rope...

27 posts in this topic

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/KxZft6

That's my current build after my recent attempt to repair/upgrade my computer and I'm going to sell the parts if I can't get it working.

When I switch it on it powers up for a second then cuts out. The power supply is perfectly adequate as far as I can tell and all the parts are compatible.

It's probably the stupidest thing I'm doing wrong or I've missed, but if anyone has any idea how to fix this please let me know.

Try checking to make sure everything is plugged in. I had this happen to me and I realized that I forgot to plug in the power cable next to my processor.

Try checking to make sure everything is plugged in. I had this happen to me and I realized that I forgot to plug in the power cable next to my processor.

Checked out the power connections for the CPU, motherboard and GPU and as for as I can tell nothing's wrong. I can't tell for the cpu obviously, but everything else is getting power.

There are typically two that plug in to the motherboard. The one above the CPU is the I be I was mentioning.

I checked than it is connected.

How about your processor fan? It will shutdown immediately to save your CPU from melting

The fan switches on then cuts out like everything else, but the cpu overheating does make sence. Without the cpu everything powered up, but obviously the computer didn't boot.

It sounds like the processor is not being properly cooled. Did you apply thermal grease? If you leave the cpu fan plugged in without the cpu, does it stay on?

I had tried turning the computer on without the cpu and everything, including the cpu, powered up and stayed and I did apply the thermal grease. It is just the standard heat sink and fan that came with the cpu, maybe it's not powerful enough?

I'll have a look at the cpu fan again, make sure it's secured down properly.

Ya I am not a a big... fan :D of the fans that come with the cpu's. I got myself a V8. Looks like an engine sitting in my PC.

Cooler_Master_V8_CPU_cooler_01.jpg

mmmm sexy :D

smuniz83 likes this

That it is. I'll see about getting a beefier tomorrow.

Intel original heatsink should not give any problem. (default CPU clock) Keep it simple and use it for troubleshoot first. If power supply is ok and you are sure you have connect all the necessary power connector here what i will suggest you to try out.

*** Since I see you from UK, the very first thing to check is if your power supply switched to 220/240V!! I live in Canada, all the power supplies are usually default in 110V but once a while I saw some will put in 220V.

Here are the troubleshoot steps

1) Disconnect EVERYTHING except necessary hardware to make the system POST. Install CPU, RAM ONLY on motherboard. (use onboard video instead of videocard)  Disconnect all SATA devices. Disconnect all internal USB cables, disconnect all front panel connectors EXCEPT power switch. Power supply only connect to motherboard (24pin + 8pin ATX12v). DISCONNECT all power plug to SATA device and GPU. Only connect power cable to power supply, only connect monitor and USB keyboard. You system should at least boot into BIOS with minimal stuff connected/installed.

2) If 1 work (boot up with minimal hardware), then reconnect other devices or cable ONE BY ONE to find out which cause the problem.

3) if 1 not work, unscrew the motherboard from the case, put it on your motherboard box and redo 1. (meaning try power up motherboard on the box with only CPU and RAM, motherboard only connect to power supply, monitor and USB keyboard). Sometime motherboard may get "short circuit" with foreign objects contacted under the motherboard. It may be a loose screw or a motherboard holder (hex screw) that position at the wrong location.

4) if 3 not work, check if RAM installed properly or if CPU socket pins had been damaged. Also try only power up the system with just one stick of RAM.

Puntosmx likes this

Unless you're having issues with high temps while playing (overclocking or poor air flow should be pretty much the only cause of this) the heatsink shouldn't be an issue.

I hate to say it, but it's most likely something unplugged or not seated properly that's causing this. 
I spent a day and a half trying to get my PC to get past POST.

Intel original heatsink should not give any problem. (default CPU clock) Keep it simple and use it for troubleshoot first. If power supply is ok and you are sure you have connect all the necessary power connector here what i will suggest you to try out.

*** Since I see you from UK, the very first thing to check is if your power supply switched to 220/240V!! I live in Canada, all the power supplies are usually default in 110V but once a while I saw some will put in 220V.

Here are the troubleshoot steps

1) Disconnect EVERYTHING except necessary hardware to make the system POST. Install CPU, RAM ONLY on motherboard. (use onboard video instead of videocard)  Disconnect all SATA devices. Disconnect all internal USB cables, disconnect all front panel connectors EXCEPT power switch. Power supply only connect to motherboard (24pin + 8pin ATX12v). DISCONNECT all power plug to SATA device and GPU. Only connect power cable to power supply, only connect monitor and USB keyboard. You system should at least boot into BIOS with minimal stuff connected/installed.

2) If 1 work (boot up with minimal hardware), then reconnect other devices or cable ONE BY ONE to find out which cause the problem.

3) if 1 not work, unscrew the motherboard from the case, put it on your motherboard box and redo 1. (meaning try power up motherboard on the box with only CPU and RAM, motherboard only connect to power supply, monitor and USB keyboard). Sometime motherboard may get "short circuit" with foreign objects contacted under the motherboard. It may be a loose screw or a motherboard holder (hex screw) that position at the wrong location.

4) if 3 not work, check if RAM installed properly or if CPU socket pins had been damaged. Also try only power up the system with just one stick of RAM.

I've tried all of that and it's still doing the same thing. it looks like maybe a couple of the socket pins have been bent.

I've tried all of that and it's still doing the same thing. it looks like maybe a couple of the socket pins have been bent.

Ouch.

Be as careful as possible if you're fixing it.

You're going to want to damage the outside of the pins as little as possibly while bending them back into place.

I'm giving a rest for now. Worst case scenario if I can't fix the chip socket, get another (FUCKING) new motherboard.

I have heard of that happening if:

a) there is a bad power connection somewhere (forced into the wrong kind of plug etc. though this does not appear to be the case)

B) Memory being seated in wrong spots (I am just listing things as they come to mind for computers in general not with your build)

c) Perhaps an odd connection for the front of the PC (I fucked it up my first time)

d) I have even had the switch on the back of the power supply not switched on and did not realize it til my co-workers at the time were laughing at me.

All I can personally think of though I am not a computer whiz by any stretch of the imagination, I hope I was at least somewhat helpful.

Best bet is if you have any parts under warranty still I would do that though it is a hassle (believe me been there especially with Asus). I remember I had problem where my pc wasn't turning on at all, no fans spin or lights turned on except the motherboard light was on that it was getting power. Even checked the PSU pins with a multimeter and was getting good readings. I RMAd my motherboard thinking it wasn't distributing power but that wasn't it. My cpu, nope that was good. Lastly I RMAd the psu even though it was the only thing I had checked that seemed good but it was actually the PSU that was faulty. Point being that even though I had checked for good readings on all the pins the PSU was faulty. Don't know if this helps but just throwing it out there.

I think the processor or heat sink might be faulty, maybe a pin was damaged. That is the only thing that I can think of if it powered on and stayed on without the cpu, but shuts off immediately with it. As the others have said I would try a new heatsink/fan, and if that does not fix it; then I would try a different processor. If this doesn't work it might be an issue between the connection of the mobo and cpu.

Thing is...you can't bend any pins on modern CPUs, because the 'pin design' has been abandoned in favor of "nubs" on the CPU and divots on the mobo.. This started with at least the first gen i3,i5,i7 chipsets. I can't speak for AMD, but I can't seem them keeping pins.

Take your mobo out of the case and set it on a cardboard surface. If it works then:

1 ) You are extremely fucking lucky because

2 ) You had a short likely caused by the case and a bad mounting post position or the mounting hole wasn't made right

((seriously, if it does work you should sacrifice a goat or something...usually mobo shorts mean the mobo, at the very least, gets fried.))

Thing is...you can't bend any pins on modern CPUs, because the 'pin design' has been abandoned in favor of "nubs" on the CPU and divots on the mobo.. This started with at least the first gen i3,i5,i7 chipsets. I can't speak for AMD, but I can't seem them keeping pins.

I recall pins on my FX 6300 and on my A10 7850.

So, I guess they're still using the old pin mechanism.

Those archaic AMD elders ;)

lol, wonder if Intel patented the 'nub' design.

OK, an update.

The PC is booting up and it works, but all is still not well.

My GPU and my second hard drive are not being detected. The HDD I'm not overly concerned about, but I can't figure what's gone wrong the the GPU. It powers up (By that I means the fans work) and I cannot find any fault with the connection (Though willing to check again). It's the same GPU and power supply combo I had before. This new set up uses more power, but not that much more, but I'm not ruling that out as a possibility. Could I have it in the wrong slot?. On this motherboard (MSI Z97 Gaming 7) the second PCI slot is the first one available for this GPU (A HIS R9 290) and according to what I've researched, it is the slot I should be using. I have installed the drivers from the disk.

Any ideas on that or the HDD?

EDIT: I actually am now starting to suspect the PSU. I'm gonna try getting another one unless somebody else has another idea?

When you say it's not detecting your GPU..

Does it display properly through the graphics card?

hello Shag

read everything

went here: http://support.asus.com/PowerSupply.aspx?SLanguage=en

put in all your hardware as accurate as possible. the GPU is not listed so i put the latest R9 card on that list, and...

even with a GPU that is lower in power reqs than yours from the PC part picker link you put up on the original post, the minimum PSU you need is 700 watts.

11025219_10153646817043765_7554267480833

quite simply, a 600 w PSU is not going to cut it. i even knew this when looking at your parts, soon as i saw 600watts i knew exactly what the austek calculator was going to tell me, it's not enough.

i would recommend also always to have a PSU that's a higher wattage than what you need, incase you add or upgrade anything in the future and avoid any complications. if you add more fans into that case that already has 2 stock fans, you're going to need some more power. adding a beefier CPU heatsink and fan will also need a little more power, so i recommend you get an 800 watt PSU and everything should work fine.

as for the GPU and HDD not showing up, problem is simply PSU. im surprised you even have a picture on your monitor. the last time i encountered this problem the PC powered on but i never got the monitor to show any image at all. only when i put in the correct PSU did i get a picture.

Puntosmx likes this