• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DestinyDecade

It's inevitable. SEGA's leaving the console game market

16 posts in this topic

http://virtuafighter.com/threads/sega-exits-console-video-game-market.19888/

How do I feel about this? As someone who grew up playing SEGA games when I was younger, it's heartbreaking but at the same time I had no idea that this would happen.

Since 2001, SEGA became a software company providing games for many consoles through the 6th to 8th gen of consoles. Some were good while others were so-so.

But after the failure of Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (despite the success of Alien: Isolation), it was inevitable that this decision had to be made.

To be honest, SEGA got what's coming because they hardly promote their games other than Sonic games and you guys know that some of their Sonic games now aren't that good. They don't promote their other games and how can a game sell well if a company like SEGA doesn't promote it. That is dumb in my humble opinion. Really dumb.

Now they're focusing their efforts on PC and mobile games.

And speaking of Sonic, I hear from a source that Sonic will still come to consoles: http://www.4gamer.net/games/286/G028690/20150219001/ (in japanese, needs translation)

But even I ain't sure. Only time will tell so hope to hear your thoughts.

i personally feel sega should sell themselves to be a subsidiary company of nintendo.

this way they would be able to continue making their games for the console markets, both home console and handhelds i.e. the wii U and the 3DS but exclusively.

this already happened somewhat with bayonetta 2, they didn't have the funding to make the game happen so it became a nintendo exclusive, they were paid by nintendo for that exclusivity and the funding for that game was backed up and it happened.

the same thing needs to happen for all their games in my opinion. someone needs to step up and offer them a deal, it would be a shame to see sega go completely under.

they also need to stop publishing games. for example sega published alien isolation but had nothing to do with development. essentially it isnt their game, they just published it. just like battlefield is not EAs game, it's DICEs, but EA owns the copyright, sega owns alien's copyright and so on. they need to make and develop their own games, and have nintendo publish it for them, just like bayonetta 2.

Glaice, Mexiguy and Arch like this

but if sega go with Nintendo they would be stuck with weaker hardware and would probably never see pc games from them which is unfair considering sonic games on pc have had a good track record compared to consoles and we just got valkyria chronicles back in November and it would be a shame if nintendo came in and screwed pc gamers over

but if sega go with Nintendo they would be stuck with weaker hardware and would probably never see pc games from them which is unfair considering sonic games on pc have had a good track record compared to consoles and we just got valkyria chronicles back in November and it would be a shame if nintendo came in and screwed pc gamers over

What would you suggest?

What would you suggest?

sega should stick to pc gaming because

1.how would franchises like football manger and total war work on consoles?

2.the mod support has kept games like sonic generations alive e.g the unleashed project (recreation of sonic unleashed on pc)

or Nintendo could just abandon the console market and make games for the pc then i might support them buying sega 

What would you suggest?

From a business/money's point of view, focus on mobile garbage. People eat that shit up. 

The article you posted is very, very tl;dr interview with the producer of a freemium mobile sonic game btw, it has nothing to do with consoles as far as I can see.

I don't feel like reading the whole thing, let alone translating it, so I'll just translate the title and the first paragraph

An interview with "Sonic Runners" producer Takashi Iizuka. Sonic first smartphone-exclusive game developed by Sonic Team is real.  Will we see all of the series' characters be available in the future?

"Sonic Runners" (iOS, Android), is a smartphone-exclusive action game scheduled for release by Sega Networks on the spring of 2015, and will be the first game in the Sonic series to have a free gameplay + in-game item purchases f2p model.

Oh, how low the mighty have fallen.

RIP in peace Sonic Team 1990-2015

Talk about weaker consoles...

Mobiles are infinitely weaker than PCs.

sega games like bayonetta 1 and 2 are absolutely stunning on the wii U. what weaker hardware?

aside from that they pretty much have 1 mascot... sonic, and sonic games certainly don't need the power of an xbox one or PS4 or PC to run well at all.

it would be a shame but im sorry if any PC gamer loves sega enough, and has a gaming PC, then they can afford a £150 wii U to play potential future sega games. the entire console costs less than lasts years graphics cards.

I still am pissed at sega for PSO2 west.

sega games like bayonetta 1 and 2 are absolutely stunning on the wii U. what weaker hardware?

aside from that they pretty much have 1 mascot... sonic, and sonic games certainly don't need the power of an xbox one or PS4 or PC to run well at all.

it would be a shame but im sorry if any PC gamer loves sega enough, and has a gaming PC, then they can afford a £150 wii U to play potential future sega games. the entire console costs less than lasts years graphics cards.

but why should i get a console for future sonic games when steam is a popular platform than the wii u?

sonic games haven been good on the wii u but on steam they have been very positive

SEGA should become a developer owned by Nintendo (like said before on this thread.)

Only Nintendo have most creative control on SEGA games so maybe we can get a good Sonic game.

fridgeracer likes this

but why should i get a console for future sonic games when steam is a popular platform than the wii u?

sonic games haven been good on the wii u but on steam they have been very positive

because as said in this thread, someone needs to own sega in order for them to be able to continue making their games. it's impossible for sega to keep making games on steam because they have no money... where is the money coming from to actually make the games on steam in the 1st place?

that's the problem, they've dug themselves so far into a hole that they have no money to actually make anything anymore.

they do have however excellent intellectual properties and developer talent. they just have no money or much faith in a broad range of consumers who are normally skeptical about their games when they release.

that's why a company like nintendo, that already entirely funded them to be able to publish Platinum's Bayonetta 1 and 2 on the wii U, should step in and acquire sega as a subsidiary company, not a studio.

as a subsidiary company they end up like rockstar games, which is a sub of Take 2 Interactive. Rockstar 100% makes and decides what happens on GTA games, they are owned by another company but they are also incorporated, meaning their games final say and direction lands with them.

sega would in this case fall into the same category. they get to make whatever games they and their owners both think will be worthwhile and great for gamers, but the only catch is to keep it exclusive to nintendo's platforms.

steam isn't a console platform company like nintendo, sony, or microsoft. vavle isnt going to buy sega so that sega games only go onto steam, they simply dont do that, its not that kind of company.

sega coming from a console background should STAY in a console background.

yes, they exited consoles and went onto publish games and develop them, but if they are to remain on the console market, which is the best place for them, then the only contender to snap them up and make it happen is nintendo. not sony, not microsoft, nintendo.

they already have a perfect business relationship with them. why throw the company's legacy down the drain with bullshit mobile games and underperforming sales on steam. the majority of PC gamers don't care about sega developed games like sonic. they wouldnt make money on there as much as they would on a console that has highly similar games to theirs, and has a playerbase that already likes those kind of games and actively buys them.

i understand that YOU like sega / sonic games on steam, but you're one of a minority - most other PC gamers arent even remotely interested in a sonic game on PC, they're interested in other games, like mobas, FPS, online gaming, rpgs, strategy games and and so on, or console ports of storydriven FPS games i.e. skyrim.

"sega coming from a console background should STAY in a console background."

yeah because clearly sega have never been successful on the pc and valkyria cronicles was a failure on steam compared to the platystation right?

"the majority of PC gamers don't care about sega developed games like sonic. they wouldnt make money on there as much as they would on a console that has highly similar games to theirs, and has a player base that already likes those kind of games and actively buys them."

what about the mod support sonic generations is getting by the community you would never get that on a nintendo 

and what if sega decide to make re work on valkyria chronisles 2 & 3 and they were japanese exclusive because of Nintendo region policy which would basicly screw over people outside of japan just like fatal frame 4&5 not sega game but a great example