• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

DestinyDecade

EA Does it Again; SimCity Company Maxis Shut Down

25 posts in this topic

http://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-simcity-developer-maxis-1689454903

Yep. EA does it again. Worst company ever now decides to shut down a company that gave us a really interesting franchise but to be fair, after the disaster that was Sim City in 2013 plus the meddling that occurred during Spore, it was inevitable.

But yes, it's a sad day indeed. Long live Maxis. :(

you do realize this was also the company that brought us the sim franchise

have some respect, its a tragedy seeing the shit dev time and resources the newest sim city got and the road maxis went down.

RIP to my childhood, RIP to that mall sim, and more specifically

RIP MAXIS

Expected it, since it is EA

Do they even have any companies left ?

anubist800 likes this

Although i feel sad about closing another game studio, but their Simcity 5 fail is really an epic fail. Specially when compare similar games like Banished - an indie game that only developed by ONE (yes a single guy, Luke Hodorowicz) which look and play a lot better than Simcity 5 + a lot less problem.

you do realize this was also the company that brought us the sim franchise

have some respect, its a tragedy seeing the shit dev time and resources the newest sim city got and the road maxis went down.

RIP to my childhood, RIP to that mall sim, and more specifically

RIP MAXIS

I do respect MAXIS for giving us Sim City. Hell I remember playing SIM City on the SNES and I also remember other games like the PC version, SimTown, etc. and the Sims.

It is a tragedy. A freaking tragedy.

Another dead developer joins the pile of discarded studios on EA's corpse pile..

Once again I provide a quote from my twitter.

"Thank you EA for once again killing other Dev cause of your dumbassary."

Once again I provide a quote from my twitter.

"Thank you EA for once again killing other Dev cause of your dumbassary."

(nod) Agreed.

Look at what they did for the last decade and you will feel less sad.

As much as I loved the Maxis of old, this is very true. I have a feeling it's one of those situations where the talented people saw the writing on the wall and bailed years back.

If a dev aint bringing home the bacon you cant blame EA for getting rid.  The last sim city had aload of problems and so did the last sims i would have shut them down too.

Given EA's long history with this, it makes me wonder why these studios when offererd a hand shake from EA, they don't do this;

sparta-kick-o.gif

Given EA's long history with this, it makes me wonder why these studios when offererd a hand shake from EA, they don't do this;

sparta-kick-o.gif

Because without EA those same studios would be nowhere (which they are now but they only have themselves to blame)

Publishers buy devs to give them a chance and up until recently Maxis was doing great so EA kept them.  But once a dev starts losing a publishers money with bad returns ofcourse the publisher will send them packing.  Its business and keeping a money sink up and running is just bad business.

EA only publish the games and give a timeframe (to which the dev agree's on) anything to do with a games bad performance is the sole responsibility of the developer.  Ppl need to stop blaming EA for other ppl's fuck ups.

EA only publish the games and give a timeframe (to which the dev agree's on) anything to do with a games bad performance is the sole responsibility of the developer. Ppl need to stop blaming EA for other ppl's fuck ups.

Hahaha, oh wow. Yeah, EA only controls the budget and the time table, the two most important factors for creating a game, they shouldn't be held responsible when the devs are forced to cut corners to make deadlines. It's not like they're intentionally undercutting budgets and determining release dates based on holiday sales figures, with little to no regard for the quality of the product.

You know all those dozen or so studio that built up a great reputation, then got bought by EA, and then tanked on quality before being shut down? It was totally the devs fault, EA had nothing to do with it. If anything, EA is the victim here because they keep getting a bum deal on these studios they buy. Poor EA, let's start up a kickstarter or an indiegogo to give them more money so they don't feel bad after closing down the studios they gutted.

Shagger and Mr_E_Meatshield like this

Not to mention big publishers like ea and activision have an obsession towards making everything always online. I mean look at when activision bought blizzard, and they were all like we wont hange anything, and then diablo one of the most modable games there are suddenly turns into an unmodable always online cant pause even if single player fiasco with a effing cash shop.

Publishers dont screw with the games my ass.

First, Jim Sterling is not the prophet but our friend in our community Alexander452 who IS the real prophet ! IS real name is the CURSED PROPHET and behold is next illumination because ......the next STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT will be a PIECE OF SHIT !       For you Alex ! XD

But seriously, like i said in a topic like this one, if bioware go to the same fate has Maxis, my shackles from EA will be finally broken. I will become a free man. :)

First, Jim Sterling is not the prophet but our friend in our community Alexander452 who IS the real prophet ! IS real name is the CURSED PROPHET and behold is next illumination because ......the next STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT will be a PIECE OF SHIT !       For you Alex ! XD

But seriously, like i said in a topic like this one, if bioware go to the same fate has Maxis, my shackles from EA will be finally broken. I will become a free man. :)

BIOWare should just leave EA. It can handle themselves on their own.

Hmm i don't know. I mean it's not like i know they numbers on they sells. If they going so well why they don't break up with them right now ?

Not to be off topic, but what happen to games like Age of Empires :Age of the kings. The were RTS Simulation like games, with role play

in mind. But now games seem to just go back to being plainly childish. Even Halo seems to be orbiting child like tendencies for an M

rated game, such as hand holding mechanics like hit box assistant hit magnetism....   I just mis it when games were more complex or

just simply challenging and had depth to them...

Not to be off topic, but what happen to games like Age of Empires :Age of the kings. The were RTS Simulation like games, with role play

in mind. But now games seem to just go back to being plainly childish. Even Halo seems to be orbiting child like tendencies for an M

rated game, such as hand holding mechanics like hit box assistant hit magnetism....   I just mis it when games were more complex or

just simply challenging and had depth to them...

What happen was M$ starting pull all resource away from PC gaming into their XBox department. That is why we got almost no advancement in DirectX (stuck at DX9 for a long time and DX10/11 not really pull away from DX9 because they don't have much enhancement over DX9) for the last 10+ years, the closure of the Ensemble Studio (maker of Age of Empire, owned by M$). Sh!tty Game for Windows Live support that also lead to their demise. MS is one of the main reason why PC games had been mainly are ports from the console version. MS are 100% deserve to lost their PC games digital distribution to Steam (Origin, Uplay..), media file digital distritbuion to iTune. I always think MS (the biggest software company in the planet Earth) should be embrassed for their Windows users need to go to a game developer (Valve) for buying game online and need to go to a computer hardware manufacturer (Apple) for buying music/movie/TV contents. It is a fxxking shame.

BTW, if you want to play some high quality RTS. I recommand the Wargame: Red Dragon.

http://store.steampo...com/app/251060/