• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Munty

Anyone still play Dawn of War?

13 posts in this topic

Hi folks, am still finding my feet here and browsing through the various forums looking for mention of games I enjoy/enjoyed and was reminded of this franchise. Warhammer 40k Dawn of War.

These are probably anywhere up to 10 years old now (11 apparently!) but I really enjoyed them as a good take on a recognisable license. Of course they're base building games first and foremost but it always feels good to roll out dreadnoughts and summon Daemons and such so it still feels like a real battle, particularly in the middle of each encounter.

One of the best parts of the first iteration of Dawn of War (1, Dark Crusade, Winter Assault, Soulstorm) was the campaign map which retained a decent tactical overlay to the individual missions.

Now I have no idea how this worked in multiplayer as I only ever played a few skirmishes with a friend of mine where we either walked all over the computer AI or got hammered in minutes. Never quite found the balance! If anyone else out there has these games and fancies revisiting them though I'd love to get back into them (assuming servers still exist that is...) Give me a shout if you want to give it a try or just to voice your opinions on these games.

[i have DoW2 as well which was another great (albeit very different) game. Not sure if there was multiplayer due to the nature of the game but probably?!]

RTSfan16 likes this

There are still people who play on the Steam servers for DoW 1 and 2, but actually finding those players is a bit difficult because there are so few.

Well if you have "retribution" then it shouldnt be all to difficult getting into a game (I have no idea about the older games) but one advice I would give you is to first play against the AI a couple of times seeing since alot of the people that are still playing are pretty skilled in the game by now

I actually only have the main sequel game (DoW2) and neither of the follow-ups to it... I did really like what they did with no.2 but I'd really like to find some people to RTS with. Been a long time since I played any good ones, especially with real people!!!

yes i do !

i play all DoW´s inclouding DoW 2 and retrebution

add me if you want to play :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Yay!!! Would love to but can't find you on Steam! None of the IDs in your info seem to exist although there ARE two Clonetrooper501s on there, neither of them look like they're you (and I'm aware that that isn't what you list your steam ID as anyway!) Might want to check your info and try adding me if you can find me. My profile pic is the same as the one I'm using here to make things easier! We can definitely have a game of this! I'm excited :D 

KianThePersian likes this

So I'm thinking about getting Dawn of War II but i'm wondering if all the DLC for the Retribution expansion is worth it or not? What do you all think?

It's probably pretty cheap now isn't it? It was a while ago I played no.2 but I thoroughly enjoyed the main game and I think the first expansion was good too. Always intended to get the other one too but never did for some reason. I'd suggest you keep an eye out for a 'special edition' or something with all games included. I bet it'll be almost the same price as just buying the main game separately!

Funnily enough I haven't logged in for a while and seeing this topic again makes me realise I've found some DoW players but still not actually played DoW... Must go do so right now!

The primary thing the expansions add is more factions/units :P Retribution adds the imperial guard for instance, so they are pretty much for varieties sake rather than changing gameplay in any form (like what soulstorm did to the original DoW series x-x)

Though I'm in Australia, if you're willing to have a laggy player tag along I'd be up for some DoWII action :P

I own all the games but at the moment I'm between computers so can't play on this, unfortunately.

Soon though. Soon.

On 13/03/2015 at 4:05 PM, Munty said:

Hi folks, am still finding my feet here and browsing through the various forums looking for mention of games I enjoy/enjoyed and was reminded of this franchise. Warhammer 40k Dawn of War.

These are probably anywhere up to 10 years old now (11 apparently!) but I really enjoyed them as a good take on a recognisable license. Of course they're base building games first and foremost but it always feels good to roll out dreadnoughts and summon Daemons and such so it still feels like a real battle, particularly in the middle of each encounter.

One of the best parts of the first iteration of Dawn of War (1, Dark Crusade, Winter Assault, Soulstorm) was the campaign map which retained a decent tactical overlay to the individual missions.

Now I have no idea how this worked in multiplayer as I only ever played a few skirmishes with a friend of mine where we either walked all over the computer AI or got hammered in minutes. Never quite found the balance! If anyone else out there has these games and fancies revisiting them though I'd love to get back into them (assuming servers still exist that is...) Give me a shout if you want to give it a try or just to voice your opinions on these games.