• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Jitterdoomer

Steam Machines, would you buy it?

Steam Machines   27 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy it?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

26 posts in this topic

For me personally, of course not. I build my own PCs, and barring some sort of catastrophe, I'll keep doing rolling upgrades on my current system without ever needing an entirely new setup. However, I would totally recommend this to my less tech savvy friends who still want to play PC games, after we get a little more info, of course.

Compared to the "gaming" options offered by chains like Dell/Alienware, HP, and whatever other companies are still around, these prices seem far less inflated. Obviously we need more details though. I noticed a lot of those Steam machines liked to list the price range as being something like "starting at $500," then the planned hardware specs would say something like "up to GTX980." Listing minimum price option along with the max tech option? Not cool, fuck that.

I'm also curious to see how easy it is to strip out the SteamOS and throw regular Windows on it. That's going to be a big factor, because like someone said in the previous topic, Linux is ass for games.

I'm avoiding them like the plague. Why? Because:

1) I already own 2 consoles (a PS4 and a PS3), the last thing I need is a console/PC hybrid. 

2) I already own a PC, so buying one is pointless for me, it would just gather dust.

3) I hate the controller. Gaben, fire the idiot who thought it was a good idea to put 2 D-pads and only one analogue stick on the controller.

I'm avoiding them like the plague. Why? Because:

1) I already own 2 consoles (a PS4 and a PS3), the last thing I need is a console/PC hybrid. 

2) I already own a PC, so buying one is pointless for me, it would just gather dust.

3) I hate the controller. Gaben, fire the idiot who thought it was a good idea to put 2 D-pads and only one analogue stick on the controller.

Good points for an individual who already has consoles and a pc. Though the controller you can use the xbox controller as far as I know with the steam machine.

I already have a Steam Machine. :P

lolno, I already have this little thing that lets me play steam games on a tv with controllers. It's called a laptop.

no. why?

steam OS is linux.

i refuse to buy a console that gives me access to a small fraction of the steam games that work on linux. and i refuse to believe valve has enough influence to demand every game that goes onto steam must also have a linux / steam OS compatible version.

that and... PC exclusive games normally need a keyboard and mouse for the best experience, not a controller, and sitting on the couch slouching over on to a coffee table getting wrist strain with the keyboard and mouse is not my idea of fun.

not a chance. They look great and I can see the appeal to some people who don't know how to build a pc but I don't need one in the living room. I have a ps3 and never play the thing. Just use it as a media server thing to watch films and stuff on.

Also it's a headache trying to figure out what one to buy if I had to get one. They should just had 2 or 3. cheapest to a casual indie machine and media, a good gaming machine and then an all out run anything machine. 

Already have a custom PC, will keep custom building PCs in the future. No need

For me to buy it then it would have to have some special features and be damn cheap simply because if I try to fit much more random stuff in my house then I would have to start sleeping while standing up

I thought everyone was hyper wbout it, now nobody cares. What happened?

I thought everyone was hyper wbout it, now nobody cares. What happened?

Its mixed. Those who already have a pc won't see any appeal in it for obvious reasons. I see the appeal in regards to console owners who may want to get into pc gaming.

On another note you don't have to use the Steam OS to play the games, you can use windows.

Its mixed. Those who already have a pc won't see any appeal in it for obvious reasons. I see the appeal in regards to console owners who may want to get into pc gaming.

On another note you don't have to use the Steam OS to play the games, you can use windows.

but the whole selling point of a steam machine was a simple to use steam OS that works with all your games.

whats the point in getting a steam machine to use steam OS, the comfortable easy to use living room PC experience to end up just using windows? it effectively just becomes an overpriced prebuilt gaming PC. you might aswell just buy an alienware prebuilt gaming PC, or laptop, and plug it into the TV with HDMI and use a wireless controller.

Sure. I'd buy just to mess with it. I have a ton of games on steam that works with controllers so I'm fine in that department. It have to be priced around $300-450 otherwise it missed it's point entirely. 

but the whole selling point of a steam machine was a simple to use steam OS that works with all your games.

whats the point in getting a steam machine to use steam OS, the comfortable easy to use living room PC experience to end up just using windows? it effectively just becomes an overpriced prebuilt gaming PC. you might aswell just buy an alienware prebuilt gaming PC, or laptop, and plug it into the TV with HDMI and use a wireless controller.

And that's exactly why it risks flopping before even getting off the ground.

The idea is great, but there are already things that do that perfectly, and more. So they need to come up with some very good extras

The point is the target audience. For people that build their own pc's not much is going to be seen as this being a good idea, but for people who have consoles and wouldn't wish to think of getting into building a pc are more likely to take this up. As far as the steam OS goes, the minimum amount of games it has isn't going to be that way for ever. It will continue to increase and allow more and more over time. Like with anything new its going to have its issues. Same as games that just release and have to be updated later. People complain about it but still purchase them.

As far as buying the pre-built pc, the other point is the size. This is meant to be something a person can put in their living room and in that regards many people don't want a hulking pc in that domain of the house and in other cases for console players it works more for them to hook up to their tv. As far as a laptop goes it would cost more then the steam machine for the price of the power when playing, depending on what level of a gpu the individual wants and it also has the problem of not being able to be upgraded in the future gpu wise. With a steam machine you can upgrade the gpu when the current one starts to slog behind. Now along with the steam OS you can use a wireless xbox 360 controller with it or a wired one.

Though I should say after my recent discovery about windows 10.... that in itself I feel will hurt the market for the steam machine more. If they were bringing it as a bridge between console and pc players then its only going to be in regards to Playstation and Nintendo. Windows 10 is going to have it so people on xbox one will be able to play with individuals who have windows 10. Which of course that will depend on if people on Windows 7 and 8 are going to take up that free upgrade offer for the first year of its release. And for those who have just that one issue with Windows 8, Windows 10 does have the start menu interface you can switch to.

Aside from all that I would say the way of negative points on the steam machine are what are more swaying it to fail then anything else. When I look at something new I think about the negative points and the positive points. Whats bad about it? Can that be worked around? Who is this being made for? You have to really think on the other side of things of who these types of new technologies will benefit and not just from the personal perspective of how it wouldn't benefit you.

The biggest problem I have with "steam machines" is that I can't understand just who the hell they are trying to sell them to.

What would make sense to me is if they were marketed to fill the gap between a console and a PC, a decent GTX 660-780 model for around $600-$800 then I would understand but their not.  A good one is the same price as a pre-built Alienware gaming rig and the few that do fit in that price range aren't even a match for a $400 console so I just cannot see the point.

I would never pay $1000 for a console that's delivers no better performance than my PS4 nor would I spend $2000 on a Alienware Alpha when I could get a PC just as good if not better for the same price.  I like the idea but the marketing and pricing just doesn't add up for either market.  

Laserrifle125 likes this

Yeah I get that. But nobody else seemed to earlier on. Everyone was acting like the sky was falling from the awsome. And im talking about these forums.

As a console gamer, these steam do not appeal to me at all because they lack a console's biggest benefits. Sure there's the plug n' play convenience, but the cost of the hardware is still significantly higher and without the benefits of a disk based platform. Just like PC, you can't swap, lend, sell and trade in used games like you can with a console.

As a PC gamer, they still don't appeal as they lack the same level of multifunctional applications, have less choice of games and don't do anything that a PC can't. There's alot of games on PC that aren't compatible with a controller, so that's also a reson to use a desk with steam machines as trying to use a mouse and keyboard without one is complete pain, so what's the point on using a tv and couch?. The lifespan is limited because you can't upgrade them as easily as a normal PC.

Ultimately, they retain the problems of both with the benefits of neither.

Laserrifle125 likes this

Yeah I get that. But nobody else seemed to earlier on. Everyone was acting like the sky was falling from the awsome. And im talking about these forums.

I feel the reason for that is because everyone is looking at it from their own stand point of why "they" wouldn't want a steam machine. For them the idea is ludicrous and there is no point in its existence so they are looking at all the negative aspects of the creation rather then the positive it can be for other individuals. Besides... how can no one who builds a pc not see how much messing around one can do with it is beyond me.

I intend to get one, make a few altercations and give it to my friend who doesn't own a pc and only plays on consoles.

As a console gamer, these steam do not appeal to me at all because they lack a console's biggest benefits. Sure there's the plug n' play convenience, but the cost of the hardware is still significantly higher and without the benefits of a disk based platform. Just like PC, you can't swap, lend, sell and trade in used games like you can with a console.

As a PC gamer, they still don't appeal as they lack the same level of multifunctional applications, have less choice of games and don't do anything that a PC can't. There's alot of games on PC that aren't compatible with a controller, so that's also a reson to use a desk with steam machines as trying to use a mouse and keyboard without one is complete pain, so what's the point on using a tv and couch?. The lifespan is limited because you can't upgrade them as easily as a normal PC.

Ultimately, they retain the problems of both with the benefits of neither.

Yes and no. The cost of getting the machine is balanced by what you can get afterwards. PC gets far better sales on games then one does on consoles with better convenience of accessibility. You can download instead of going to the store or having to wait for a certain time for a store to open to go get the game you want. You can't sell the games you get, that is true, but most who sell their games are often turning it in for value to place towards something else they wish to get. For that I again go back to the sales that exist on steam. Most certainly one isn't always getting the newest titles, but also previous titles that have released that pull interest. And you can share your games with others as far as I recall: http://www.maximumpc.com/how_share_steam_games_2014 So in this there is just no selling or swapping, but in such a case as that you can certainly play games that others have.

-And as I mentioned before if you have PC already then certainly this isn't something for that individual unless they are the type that care about aesthetics or live with their parents still who don't want them hooking up that big hulking pc to their tv in the living room to play. Your fine naturally if your doing it with a laptop.

-Functionality application wise depends on if your going to stick with the Steam OS or use Windows on it.  Also the amount of games that you need a keyboard and mouse for vs the amount of games that use the controller....more games with the use of a controller available. You'll find strategy games are the more likely of the ones that don't have support for it and in some cases there are strategy games that do have support for controllers.

-Aside from that a person using a wireless keyboard and mouse shouldn't have much of an issue with this especially since that little table is 9 times out 10 always conveniently present in front of that couch for you to set them on.

-As far as being able to upgrade them easily, that primarily comes down to which version Steam Machine you are getting your hands on for that since there are different versions and from a few I've seen the parts are easily accessible, more so then pc because of the weight difference and the amount of work you have to place shifting it around.

There are plenty of benefits to be had, but a person has to think outside the box which is what PC gamers have been doing for years. If we don't like something, we find away around it because we're bad ass like that. If its tech, we can make it work.

PS- Multi-quoted but for some reason it only posted the first.

I already own a PC so i don't need one. Also if I wanted a Living Room system...I'd build one.

No, but I'll probably install SteamOS on my next computer. Why? Because fuck Microsoft, that's why.