• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Laserrifle125

VR is coming to the gaming industry. Are you excited or not?

You excited about VR?   29 members have voted

1. 1. Are you excited about VR or not?

• Yes, VR is gonna make games much more immersive.
    • Somewhere in the middle, VR could turn out to be a nice addition to gaming or it could turn out to be a pointless gimmick
    • No, VR is gonna be useless gimmick.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 posts in this topic

So, we've got the Oculus rift from Facebook (which is why I'm avoiding Oculus rift like the plague), Valve's VR program (which could a nice a addition to PC gaming) and Sony's Project Morpheus (Which I'm really interested in). Are you excited about this new VR tech or not? Leave a reply explaining why.

No, I see it the same way as 3D and motion controls.  It's just another FAD that's going to go away.  I don't think it's going to be very practical either, no one is going to want to sit in in front of their console or PC with an intrusive and heavy peripheral on their head for any kind of extended period of time.

I'm more concerned about if the closeness of the screen/visuals can cause sight damage. Plus until they can completely reduce motion sickness so someone can play for a couple hours, its kinda useless.

If they solve those issues and there were games specifically designed to take advantage of VR, then it may be successful if the price is right. I dont want to spend the same amount i get the damn console/pc for.

I just voted yes but should've been in the maybes I think. This is really exciting and I'm of the opinion that gaming has been in need of VR/improved immersion for a looong time now. I'm positive in the future it will be done right and be amazing. Is this too soon to expect so much? Probably... A genuinely 'good' VR experience is probably still some time away but at least there are finally people giving it a try! 

I just voted yes but should've been in the maybes I think. 

The one in the middle is the "maybe" option. 

Well it all depends on how it's done it may sound good but could end badly like the Kinect and Kinect "2.0" or just be forgotten or ignored like the PS2 eye which was the first time controllerless gaming was tried. It all depends on how the hardware and software perform.

I'm more concerned about if the closeness of the screen/visuals can cause sight damage.

this is pretty much why it's not going to take off i think. planting your face close to a TV screen than say... 5 or 6 feet, playing console games is quite bad for your eyes, over time you will damage them and get a poorer quality of vision.

going even further to use a VR headset having the screen effectively on your eyes, i can't see how that would not damage your eyes. no doubt it will cause some people headaches too.

Can't say I'm really pumped. As someone who has hands-on experience with the Oculus Rift, all I can say is that VR is just another gimmick we could do without. It's like the 3D of 2015.

As some have mentioned the visual harm it can do to eyes is a concern, while the concept is cool I feel that for it to succeed a new technology needs to be developed besides a screen in front of your eyes. Not sure what but something needs to be done for vr to become widespread in my opinion.

I'm very interested but I'm not expecting much for the first generation. New technology has a funny way of being less than stellar for first generation iterations, but I think VR has the potential to actually be something great once the products are released, have greater recognition, and eventually get further refined.

3D for example isn't quite a fad. Sure it seemed like a useless gimmick at first, but the 3d feature on a 3DS doesn't really have any downsides to really claim it's totally useless. it IS a neat feature, and you don't have to wear silly glasses or whatever, what's to hate about it.

Also, it's my understanding that the whole get sick/dizzy thing is pretty much the #1 thing that VR developers are trying to solve before it's release.

Yes I'm excited, but my ultimate opinion of the product will depend on the hardware makers implementation of the device and whether or not the devs actually put the time of day into it, we already know it can work but is the industry actually going to bother?

You know I never got this motion sickness everyone is talking about. Feels fine to me.

You know I never got this motion sickness everyone is talking about. Feels fine to me.

I never got to try it but my understanding is that's the thing they are trying to fix. Perhaps your model is just more developed, or the software you used is easier to run. From my understanding the sickness is caused by lag. If you move your head and the 'screen' doesn't move at the exact same time, you start to feel sick...But maybe people just have butter bellies, I don't know. I'm curious myself but don't have access to one qq.

Which have you used? rift? all 3? another one?

I never got to try it but my understanding is that's the thing they are trying to fix. Perhaps your model is just more developed, or the software you used is easier to run. From my understanding the sickness is caused by lag. If you move your head and the 'screen' doesn't move at the exact same time, you start to feel sick...But maybe people just have butter bellies, I don't know. I'm curious myself but don't have access to one qq.

Which have you used? rift? all 3? another one?

I was using the Rift over at a friends house.

I'm more curious to how Microsoft's holo-lens will be. Hopefully as good as the holo-lens minecraft demonstration trailer that was shown a while back.

I'm more curious to how Microsoft's holo-lens will be. Hopefully as good as the holo-lens Minecraft demonstration trailer that was shown a while back.

TBH, I'm not interested in MS's holo-lens, outside of 3D art, I don't see what else I can do with it. VR on the other hand can increase the immersion factor of most games by 10, however, I am worried that VR could cause eye damage.

TBH, I'm not interested in MS's holo-lens, outside of 3D art, I don't see what else I can do with it. VR on the other hand can increase the immersion factor of most games by 10, however, I am worried that VR could cause eye damage.

I have been dreaming up ideas for the holo-lens scene I herd about i.

Assuming its mobile, imagine using it as a HMD and you have some sort of gun prop that the game recognizes, then you go out and shoot your friends. To everyone else you look like a bunch of nerds but your having awesome laser gun fights.

It seems likely that VR will be this generation's motion control(aka this gen's stupid gimmick). Like with motion controls, at least some degree of potential for some interesting gameplay is there, but it will probably be improperly utilized and eventually your VR headsets will be another expensive paperweight to put on the shelf with your Kinect and Virtual Boy.

That being said, I haven't seen what they've come up with so far firsthand, so I may end up changing my assessment at some point. I'm not overly optimistic, though.

I understand people being skeptical about how good they'll be in practice, but I think people are being super silly when they think it's just a dumb gimmick even in theory. Nobody ever said while playing a video game "gee I wish I could move the character by jogging on the spot instead of using a controller". And nobody ever said "I wanna see everything in red and black, and be forced to stand hunched over in one spot while doing it".

But people have wanted games to encompass more of their senses since the dawn of gaming. Bigger screens, surround sound, etc. VR headsets are pretty much as good as you can possibly get in terms of visual 'size' and hearing (unless they just have 2 little speakers in there or something, which is possible).

I understand people being skeptical about how good they'll be in practice, but I think people are being super silly when they think it's just a dumb gimmick even in theory. Nobody ever said while playing a video game "gee I wish I could move the character by jogging on the spot instead of using a controller". And nobody ever said "I wanna see everything in red and black, and be forced to stand hunched over in one spot while doing it".

But people have wanted games to encompass more of their senses since the dawn of gaming. Bigger screens, surround sound, etc. VR headsets are pretty much as good as you can possibly get in terms of visual 'size' and hearing (unless they just have 2 little speakers in there or something, which is possible).

The reason people are sceptical about VR is because it could cause eye damage, nausea, possibly vomiting among other possible issues.   

Make the VR just like .Hack and SAO and I'm sold. 

Oreyn likes this

I think it could be good. I can imagine FPS being pretty crazy with a VR headset.

I certainly don't think it will be very popular until a year or two after it's released. Just like any new hardware you need time to build up a library of games that will suit everyone and only then can you really see how well it is doing. Just depends if developers stick with it or drop it because it didn't get the reception they'd hoped for.

The reason people are sceptical about VR is because it could cause eye damage, nausea, possibly vomiting among other possible issues.   

That would be a potential case in practice. I guarantee you they aren't designing it to do those things, so that isn't what will happen in theory.

That would be a potential case in practice. I guarantee you they aren't designing it to do those things, so that isn't what will happen in theory.

I'm not saying that they were designed to harm the body, I'm not FOX news, I'm just saying that VR MIGHT have some nasty side effects.