• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
God Revan

Tips & Help Thread: Bloodborne

40 posts in this topic

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I got a prayer from the vileblood hunter what is it for?

Tips for Pthumerian Descendant - chalice dungeon boss

So I spent waaaaay too much time beating my head against this boss, so I figured maybe I can help others get past him (since youtube didn't help me for shit). FYI, this is the 3rd boss for the depth 2 Pthumeria chalice dungeon, or he can show up in the depth 2 root dungeon with different stats (he was way easier to kill in my root dungeon).

First off, the basics. He can dash like a player character, and imo the best time to parry is when he dashes forward. If you get too close, he has a very quick swipe attack, and if you get too far, he will throw his weapon which is very difficult to dodge completely. He's got a ton of slash attacks he uses at midrange, and I'm not going to list them all, but I will mention I had moderate success parrying the one where he runs at you. At 50% health, he moves to phase 2 where he splits his weapon in two and becomes more aggressive. He picks up a relatively safe jumping attack you can dodge underneath if you dodge towards him, and a 8(!) slash combo attack that's a bitch to keep dodging.

So for the strategy I used, I had to use the pistol. I believe it's slightly faster than the blunderbuss, meaning you don't need inhuman reaction timing (I literally couldn't get a single parry with the shotgun). For the point I was at, level 40ish, doing a visceral attack took off about a 4th of the bosses life. The key is to get him as close to 50% health as possible, then do a parry into visceral. Then the absolute most important part, when he backs off to split his weapon at the start of phase 2, sprint behind him for a charged attack into backstab. Maybe I'm a scrub and this is a personal limitation, but I could not handle him in phase 2, so the less time he spends there, the better. If you manage to parry him at like 60% health, then get the backstab, he'll probably die right away, although in my specific case two parries brought him right to 50%, my backstab got him to about 20%, and I finished the fight with throwing knives.

For specifics on how to parry, I'm sorry to say I had to scrub it up and just spam pistol shots at him. Basically just hang around at mid distance (not too far or he throws his weapon) and take a shot as soon as he does something. The absolute best is when he dashes forward, you can score an easy parry. Attack parries are more difficult to pull off, but you should take a shot anyway because you can usually at least stagger him and stop the attack (of note, if you shoot him during the weapon throw attack, it teleports back to his hand, rather than passing through you on the way back for extra hits). And this is all in phase 1, because I also never pulled off a parry in phase 2.

Alternate strategy for phase 1: if you can't parry, you can also do relatively safe damage by dodging into his attacks instead of away. Dodging past him seems to end his combo, and you can usually get one or two slashes before he dashes away. Just be careful, he might pivot and still clip you with a swipe.

Like I said before, you can score an easy backstab when he moves to phase 2, but you have to be quick. Basically as soon as he hits <50% health, stay as close to him as possible. He normally backdashes then transforms, but I have seen him take a swipe at me first before backing off.

Alternate strategy for phase 2: if you don't get the backstab, or don't want to spam consumables at him, I feel your options are severely limited. Beware of that super combo, he covers crazy ground with his lunging slashes, and it goes on forever. I was never able to dodge behind safely anymore, except for one attack. New to phase 2 is a high jump attack that will break your target lock, but if you dodge forward, he'll land behind you and you can get in a slash or two.

Overall, a terrible boss fight that wasn't fun at all, imo.

Is this the Great Ihyll Chalice Version? I have additional tips

The first phase can be easily parried (I used blunderbuss), just wait for him to dash and in front of you then shoot even if it's not yet to slash. He's so fast on the Great Chalice version you need to preempt him. On the second phase (Great Chalice one which is nearly impossible to parry due to speed, the normal ones can be easily parried to death though) just keep him circling on the pillar wait for him to combo then poke him with your weapon on the other side (I use Ludwig's R2 attack)

Abhorrent Beast Tips (AKA my favorite boss)

Weapon:

On great chalice use fast weapon like the one hand version of Ludwigs or Saw Cleaver (not the transformed one)

Pattern:

Run into him, he will we slash from his right claws, just dash front and left (around 20 degrees) then attack. After that he will slash from his left claw, dash right then attack after that dash backward. Just repeat this step to win, also perfectly time you dash/dodge when he is about to slash/attack

If anyone here is willing to write up a list on how to deal with the Chalice Bosses, go ahead and I'll post it in the main Post.

I have a question, does raising ones Insight also increases the difficulty of a Boss?

Yes Insight does apparently make the bosses change there tactics and difficulty, how though I still do not know much on.

Yes Insight does apparently make the bosses change there tactics and difficulty, how though I still do not know much on.

Thank you. What other cool tips you got under your sleeve?

Thank you. What other cool tips you got under your sleeve?

For Defiled Chalice Dungeons, many think you need to kill the boss as fast as possible. I find this to be a very, very, very poor choice due to the fact you have half health and these dungeons rank 4. You should actually stay about mid range from the bosses in these dungeons and aim for their weakest point which usually is there head. For example I got Amygdala for one defiled dungeon. Don't go for any of his arm attacks, wait for his head to come close to the ground. Basically my point is Defiled Dungeon bosses shouldn't be rushed, they are about patience.

If people need visual help. Check out Epicnamebro on youtube.

Goes over guide/tips and lore. Plus the guy helped write the dark souls 2 and bloodborne guide so he has some ideal.

Page Updated with further boss details[sorry >.<] and other miscellaneous things.

One thing I recently learned that as long as you wear the Vileblood Covenant rune, NPC hunters will drop blood dregs so if you are having trouble with the multiplayer as an invader, then kill some NPCs for those dregs. This is useful becauase we are still looking into what the Ring of Betrothal does and supposedly she has new dialogue at twenty blood dregs. You won't be able to get twenty blood dregs in one playthrough but you can get more then ten. Also you get a gesture from the queen if you turn in at least one blood dreg.

One thing I recently learned that as long as you wear the Vileblood Covenant rune, NPC hunters will drop blood dregs so if you are having trouble with the multiplayer as an invader, then kill some NPCs for those dregs. This is useful becauase we are still looking into what the Ring of Betrothal does and supposedly she has new dialogue at twenty blood dregs. You won't be able to get twenty blood dregs in one playthrough but you can get more then ten. Also you get a gesture from the queen if you turn in at least one blood dreg.

I'm still fairly early into the chalice dungeons (currently trying to finish up depth 3 stuff for Pthumeru and Hintertomb) but I've had a few root dungeons with NPC hunters in them.

I'm still fairly early into the chalice dungeons (currently trying to finish up depth 3 stuff for Pthumeru and Hintertomb) but I've had a few root dungeons with NPC hunters in them.

I have yet to test NPCs in Chalice Dungeons so no idea if they would work but I would assume they could work as well.

I have yet to test NPCs in Chalice Dungeons so no idea if they would work but I would assume they could work as well.

Let me know if they do so I can add it to the list.