• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Laserrifle125

I'm considering buying a 3DS

30 posts in this topic

The 3DS has some pretty good games from what I hear, I'm looking for a good portable and I'm not interested in the vita, so I'm considering to buy one. 

fridgeracer likes this

When I had a 3DS, the only games that really interested me were the ports of the old N64 games like Zelda: OOT and Starfox 64, so didn't get much use out of it, but that's just me. I'll probably take a look at what's on offer, but I doubt I'll consider it again.

Still, you think it's worth taking the plunge after hearing better advice than mine then best of luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

When I had a 3DS, the only games that really interested me were the ports of the old N64 games like Zelda: OOT and Starfox 64, so didn't get much use out of it, but that's just me. I'll probably take a look at what's on offer, but I doubt I'll consider it again.

Still, you think it's worth taking the plunge after hearing better advice than mine then best of luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Actually, the reason I'm considering buying a 3DS is metroid.

i got a new 3ds recently and ive plowed over close to 100 hours into it in just 2 weeks of owning it.

get one and dont look back. you will seriously love it.

as for metroid, the only games you can play are the NES, Game Boy virtual console metroid games. the SNES virtual console metroid games, and the GBA virtual console metroid games are only available via the wii U.

if those were the ones you were thinking about, id suggest you buy a wii U if that was the sole purpose of your wishing to get a 3DS, otherwise if you want to game in general on the 3DS... minus metroid unless its a gameboy or NES game, then it's well worth the purchase.

if you are interested in xenoblade chronicles, that's out where you are in the US on 10 april and you guys are getting the special edition that has the xenoblade artwork engraved onto the new 3DS XL and also comes with the game in the box. us european bunch don't have that edition coming to us, so if that game also interests you, you could just wait 8 days and snap that one up.

i do hope however that a lack of metroid on 3DS wont sway you away from the sheer awesome experience there is to be had with a 3DS. it's literally impossible to put this damn thing down. im playing on this console now more than anything else. it's so great. you will love it.

i would also recommend a wii U anyway because if you want the creme de la creme metroid experience you have access to Metroid Prime Trilogy on the nintendo e shop and those games can be played with a nunchuck and wii remote plus and a sensor bar which are all compatible with the wii U.

Prime Trilogy for the wii physical copies you will find are only available pre owned, are rare, and are close to $100 or even more where ever you look. on the e shop the same trilogy is being offered for i think... $25 or somewhere around that figure.

i hope this post helped you in your decision making process. as much as i respect other people's opinions, and as much as he is not "wrong" on what he said (shagger), he is neither "correct" - his personal experience with the 3DS just didn't suit him and that's fine of course.

if you do get one, please feel free to add me as a friend. my 3DS friend code is under my avatar on the left <<<<

if you want some game recommendations, please feel free to make a new thread asking just that, or send me a PM and i will give you some good options based on what kind of games you inevitably would tell me you are interested in i.e. genres and so on.

ok that's enough talking from me. done. i think this post is now complete. i got to order the chineese food wife is yelling at me for taking so long.

"SHUT UP BITCH IM TRYING TO HELP A FRIEND FROM AMERICA" lol...

Laserrifle125 likes this

oh shit.... i totally forgot... it's not a 3DS game, it's a DS game, but works fine on the 3DS and is well ahead of it's time...

Metroid Prime Hunters. That's the only DS / 3DS Metroid game that is highly similar to Metroid Prime Trilogy on the wii U. well worth the purchase.

11082563_10153698116793765_5330948555414

Laserrifle125 likes this

I own a 3DS and have been pretty happy with it despite there being very few virtual console games available there are still some good games for it. I am a big Pokemon fan and like to play competitively over PGL so I would highly recommend Pokemon ORAS. I would also recommend Smash Bros 4 if you don't own a Wii U. I have heard Persona Q is also very good and there is also a very good Donkey Kong Country game for 3DS. Besides that there were plenty of good DS games worth checking out. So yeah I think a 3DS is a good product and this is definitely the time to buy as prices have gone way down recently.

If it has enough games that interest you personally, then go right for it.

If it has enough games that interest you personally, then go right for it.

Do you have an addiction to posting on every Nintendo thread even if you have nothing to add?

To answer the question at hand:

There are several great titles I am currently enjoying Smash Bros, Story of Seasons (Think Harvest Moon), Luigi Mansion Dark Moon, New Super Mario Bros 2, and Animal Crossing.  

Also like previously stated the 3DS also plays DS games which opens up the library even more.

Do you have an addiction to posting on every Nintendo thread even if you have nothing to add?

He's thinking of getting a 3DS, I said that if there are any games he's interested in, that he should. Considering he's thinking of getting one, then he must already know whether or not it has games that he wants to play. If has enough of said games to warrant the purchase of one, then she should.

What I gave is sound advice for anyone looking into getting any new system, not just the 3DS.

I own a 3DS and have been pretty happy with it despite there being very few virtual console games available there are still some good games for it. I am a big Pokemon fan and like to play competitively over PGL so I would highly recommend Pokemon ORAS. 

TBH, I'm not interested in Pokemon, it's metroid and smash bros. that make me interested in the 3DS, I'm also considering giving xenoblade a shot after I buy a 3DS.

TBH, I'm not interested in Pokemon, it's metroid and smash bros. that make me interested in the 3DS, I'm also considering giving xenoblade a shot after I buy a 3DS.

Metroid and Smash are good reasons to get a 3DS. If you don't plan on getting a Wii U, it's the only way to play the latest version of Smash after all. Apart from Xenoblade, the system's also got other JRPG's like Fire Emblem and Bravely Default. The latter is getting a sequel too.

No... he has an interest in being positive and supportive...unlike you.

IMO I too got a 3DS a few months ago, and I adore the @%#@% out of it. That said, like any console, please make sure there are at least a few games you absolutely know you want to have, or at least try first. I'd suggest some but you didn't really mention what you were looking for at all in your op.

Shagger and Mr_E_Meatshield like this

He's thinking of getting a 3DS, I said that if there are any games he's interested in, that he should. Considering he's thinking of getting one, then he must already know whether or not it has games that he wants to play. If has enough of said games to warrant the purchase of one, then she should.

What I gave is sound advice for anyone looking into getting any new system, not just the 3DS.

That is not advice its common sense and adds nothing to the conversation.  You could suggest a few games for him to look at to help with his decision but since you don't have a 3DS this may be a post you didn't need to contribute to.

Given the op doesn't mention their own personal tastes or desires, citing common sense, when so many lack it (not saying the op DOES, but they don't prove they have it in this thread so far)...is common sense.

Please stop trying to shoehorn your hatemongering towards productive members in various threads because of your stubborn perception that all who question your points must be trolls.

I'd suggest some but you didn't really mention what you were looking for at all in your op.

An RPG would be good and I wouldn't mind a few platformers (as long as their not the super meat boy type of platformer). 

An RPG would be good and I wouldn't mind a few platformers (as long as their not the super meat boy type of platformer). 

I don't play platformers often anymore, and I've never played a shantae game yet, but my understanding is that shantae is basically a must-try for anyone interested in them...Even if you don't like it, it's worth trying one of em when you know there are 3 for 3ds IMO.

As for RPG, I personally love the etrian odyssey series, and there are 2 for the 3rds, and there is another one coming out really soon, but it's not your typical rpg. But again, worth trying because if you like it, there are many more like it, and you'll occupy yourself for quite some time!

xenoblade chronicles 3D (out in US 10 april)

fire emblem awakening

donkey kong country returns 3D

new super mario bros 2

That is not advice its common sense and adds nothing to the conversation.  You could suggest a few games for him to look at to help with his decision but since you don't have a 3DS this may be a post you didn't need to contribute to.

Oh would you look at that:

Metroid and Smash are good reasons to get a 3DS. If you don't plan on getting a Wii U, it's the only way to play the latest version of Smash after all. Apart from Xenoblade, the system's also got other JRPG's like Fire Emblem and Bravely Default. The latter is getting a sequel too.

Suggested games when he mentioned games that he was looking already looking at.

Which is more than I could say when you said this in the Starfox thread:

They had a Nintendo Direct video yesterday full of awesome new trailers, DLC announcements, and wonderful Amiibo announcements.

It had nothing to do with that thread since as I already said there, the Direct on that day had no mention of Starfox at all. But instead of disrespectfully confronting you like you're doing here, I explained why it had nothing to do with that topic.

You're derailing the thread now by the way.

So to bring it back:

Did you see that new trailer for the new Fire Emblem games?

Been reading that this one might go the Pokemon route and release as two separate games, one for each faction, not that it's a bad thing.

I was also going to suggest that Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, but I think that one's a Wii U title.

With the announcement of the NX and the games that have been announced for the 3DS, I'm seriously considering shifting my priority to getting a DS now.

Also don't know how I almost forgot about Persona Q:

Laserrifle125 likes this

I wouldn't mind a few platformers (as long as their not the super meat boy type of platformer). 

You can also probably look into the Shantae series. I don't know if the Kickstarted one is out yet, but the DS should probably have the original and Risky's Revenge. Don't know if the latter is the same as Steam which has the Director's Cut though, don't really know the difference of the two either.

Also, something to look forward to:

Clearly inspired by Metroid (If Varia Games wasn't a dead give away yet), and coming out on the Wii U, PC and 3DS. Full disclosure, I'm a backer.

For platformers, many people have suggested Shovel Knight to be an awesome retro-style platformer, and it's not expensive.

For RPGs, I'd suggest the Fire Emblem series.
A friend insists on me getting Monster Hunter 4, but although I liked the graphical complexity (specially for a handheld), I didn't like the control scheme. There's a free playable demo on the Nintendo store, and Capcom has been releasing FREE DLC for it.
I don't count the Pokémon franchise as RPG, but it's officially one, so those are must-reccomend games too.
One of the greatest RPG releases in 2014, Bravely Default was named frequently as good last year.
I tend to regard Legend of Zelda as platformer with RPG elements, but it fits the genre. A Link Between Worlds was also considered as one of the best from last year, and both N64 remakes are playable in the 3ds.
I've heard Shin Megami Tensei a lot. I think its reccomend-worthy.

=^_^=

What are the chances that they'd announce some sort of New 3DS bundle around E3? Something that isn't a collector's edition like the Majora's Mask and Monster Hunter 4 ones, but one that's going to be mass produced.

I think I bought mine 3 years ago and since then there's been great games coming out. Currently playing Monster Hunter 4, Super Smash Bros,; I do plan on getting Xenoblade but unfortunately it wont run on my old 3DS. Aside from the great first party and third party games there are also several indie games that are worth playing on the 3DS such as Shovel Knight, Steam World Dig, Citizens of Earth, etc.

You should get one, a lot of great games are on it. If you end up getting one you should check out these games, which I recommended in another thread.

Zero Escape Virtues Last Reward

Ghost Recon Shadow Wars

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Shin Megami Tensei 4

Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies

Devil Summoner Soul Hackers

Tales of the Abyss

Devil Survivor Overclocked

Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker

Persona Q

Fire Emblem Awakening

You can also probably look into the Shantae series. I don't know if the Kickstarted one is out yet, but the DS should probably have the original and Risky's Revenge.

They released a third one on the 3DS recently, the one I mentioned above. The Kickstarted one is still being worked on.

ravensep likes this

Ehhh I think Phoenix Wright Dual Destiny is a bit far off deep into the Ace Attorney series to start from. Story driven games like that should be played in chronological order due to their emotional value..It is a sort of visual novel/choose your own adventure game after all. If you decided to play Phoenix Wright OP I would suggest you start from Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney, they have it on IOS..its a bit buggy though. I played the first version of it and it was great!