• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Laserrifle125

Nintendo copyright claims Joe's Mario party 10 video.

155 posts in this topic

I was looking in our Lord commander's twitter feed and I found out that Nintendo copyright claimed his mario party 10 video. He said and I quote: " I hope @NintendoAmerica enjoyed the free ad revenue and coverage I generated for em. It will be my last Nintendo video."

I swear to god, when it come to internet, Nintendo is stuck in the 90's.

AlShareef114 likes this

Frankly, I was suprised it was up this long. Nintendo is run by dinosaurs with no clue how the modern world works. If they don't want a YouTube content creator with 2 million subs to promote their stuff without cost to them it's their loss. Fucking idiots.

I love nintendo games, but I hate their PR department.
Seriously, who hired these people?

What really? Darn it, I kinda liked that video, made the game look like fun.

I doubt if he'll even stream Nintendo anymore, and I honestly don't blame him. Nintendo has an opportunity to regain public favor right now, since the Xbox One and PS4 are just running in place at the moment. Unfortunately for everyone involved, Nintendo doesn't seem to realize this, and that's why we see BS practices like this. They definitely seem to be behind on the times in more than just system specs.

I've seen some say that Nintendo does this because it's a Japanese company and the culture in Japan is so different. It's just very weird because Sony isn't like this considering they're also a Japanese company.

Anywho, I'm pretty much like everyone else on this thread: I love their stuff, but the way they handle some things is just ridiculous. Let's take Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii for example: In the US, gamestop was given exclusivity to the games and they instantly decided to cash on it by putting new copies of the game on sale as used at 80 bucks just to get more money. What does Nintendo do? They put the Shulk amiibo as gamestop exclusive. Like.. really?

But yeah, I'm not going to buy any amiibos since I don't really think they're worth it at all, but I'm still going to buy games on the consoles. Why? Because most of the games I've played on the 3DS at least have been awesome. And as funny as it might sound, I don't even own a single Mario game on my Nintendo consoles since I think they're pretty boring all in all.

Laserrifle125 likes this

I really do feel Joe should've known better. Nintendo is extremely anti-youtube/streaming. They wanted to pull smash out of evo after the players raised 100k for breast cancer research to put the game in and only let the game in after media backlash. No one should be doing Nintendo content after Nintendo put out the partnership scam.

Some companies only see others making money off there product. They dont understand that this small ad revenue social media personalities make off streaming there stuff gives there product far more "weight" with some people than any advert they could themselves put out.

For us here we know if we like a product we may get it. We know if we dont like it we most likely never will. Theres usually buggar all that companies can do about this. However when+ you add ppl like Total Biscuit or Joe who:

1 make us aware of products we didnt know existed = chance we will buy it which is better than no chance

2 make us intreagued enough to buy something we may not have otherwise (at least at full price, which is better for companies than us buying it bundled later on for pennies)

3 makes us cringe so much at how bad it is we get it just to see for ourselves and buy it for the s4its and giggles factor.

They just dont grasp the money they actually make off youtubers and there like. All they see is "that random no one is making money off us, how dare they lets shut them down" which is an obsolete way of looking at the world. Since that wont change any time soon i hope fewer and fewer ppl put any of this companies material online, its just such a dick thing to do. 

Just hope Joe knows we feel for him. All that money he should have made, to live off gone. Its just wrong. he loses a few valuable bucks, but imagine how much they made off him, not just in Ad revenue, thats painful, but the amount of money ppl buying the game off joes attention to the game... thats the worst insult for me at least.

Nintendo has an opportunity to regain public favor right now, since the Xbox One and PS4 are just running in place at the moment. Unfortunately for everyone involved, Nintendo doesn't seem to realize this, and that's why we see BS practices like this. They definitely seem to be behind on the times in more than just system specs.

i got nothing against you, but it's this kind of mentality all around the internet that makes me cringe. nintendo doesn't need to regain public favor because it never lost it.

out of all the gamers around the world, about 60 million of them play on consoles. 10 million or so of those people, play on a wii U. i can't see how that's a "catastrophic failure", the PS4 only has double that. 20 million people considering the population of planet earth and the population of Japan (hardcore gamers) is around 300 million, 20 million worldwide is also quite pathetic and nothing to boast about.

the only people yelling "nintendo are dinosaurs and have no clue and are dead and are going to leave the console market and bla bla bla"... are the very people who don't have any nintendo consoles and / or never intended to get them anyway. effectively they are just fanboys of the other consoles and the PC, preaching the usual internet hatred and war mongering across the internet.

meanwhile... everyone playing on a nintendo console is not on reddit... facebook, twitter... or youtube arguing with these people. they simply do not care. they are on their consoles, enjoying themselves. to finalise this post... despite all this, nintendo has more cash flow and assets than sony and microsoft studios put together. if anyone ever had an undisputed future in the gaming industry and is almost guaranteed to still be selling us games and consoles in 20 or even 30 years from now... it's nintendo. period. not sony. not microsoft.

I do appreciate Nintendo in the past and in some vaguely recent times about creating some great video games, as they have made some of my most loved gaming franchises, and they can keep making amazing games.

However, I'm currently against their practices here. This is messed up, since people should be able to both experience the joy of playing Nintendo games AND enjoy watching others happily play them. Ethically wrong to the brink and it seems to be defended by SOME hardcore Nintendo fans on various sites such as Reddit.

I just hope this is something that may be fixed in the future.

Not so long ago I was thinking about buying a Wii U when the next Zelda came out but thats not gonna happen. Nintendo is run by dinosaurs that don't get they can more money not doing this stupid shit. I also can't trust that ANY of the praise the Wii U gets is legit because the few media outlets that cover their content have no choice but to be in their pocket, and of course fanboys will defend them no matter what they do.

I heard of something else recently to, there was a totally not profit fanmade HD remaster of the first level of Mario 64 hosted via a website and Nintendo being the brilliant PR advocates that they are decided put a copyright claim against it and got it took down. At the moment there is no way to purchase or play that product that directly generates revenue for Nintendo and this kind of project is free promotion for tnier brand, SO WHAT WAS THE POINT IN PUTTING A COPYRIGHT CLAIM AGAINST IT?

i got nothing against you, but it's this kind of mentality all around the internet that makes me cringe. nintendo doesn't need to regain public favor because it never lost it.

out of all the gamers around the world, about 60 million of them play on consoles. 10 million or so of those people, play on a wii U. i can't see how that's a "catastrophic failure", the PS4 only has double that. 20 million people considering the population of planet earth and the population of Japan (hardcore gamers) is around 300 million, 20 million worldwide is also quite pathetic and nothing to boast about.

the only people yelling "nintendo are dinosaurs and have no clue and are dead and are going to leave the console market and bla bla bla"... are the very people who don't have any nintendo consoles and / or never intended to get them anyway. effectively they are just fanboys of the other consoles and the PC, preaching the usual internet hatred and war mongering across the internet.

meanwhile... everyone playing on a nintendo console is not on reddit... facebook, twitter... or youtube arguing with these people. they simply do not care. they are on their consoles, enjoying themselves. to finalise this post... despite all this, nintendo has more cash flow and assets than sony and microsoft studios put together. if anyone ever had an undisputed future in the gaming industry and is almost guaranteed to still be selling us games and consoles in 20 or even 30 years from now... it's nintendo. period. not sony. not microsoft.

Now this is kind of fanboy fueled loonisy that I'm sick of hearing about. The Wii U has had 12 more months on the market and has generated half the revenue of its competitors, that is a failure and the reason for that failure is lack of promotion. Their not getting promotion because they refuse to embrace the latest and most effective business model for doing so which is of course content creators on YouTube and Twitch like Joe.

Why did they just annouce a new console and release yet another version of the 3DS? It's because the Wii U is hemorrhaging and they need to keep interest in the profitable 3DS alive long enough to get NX (or whatever it is) released. Not that it will matter that much because if they still stick to the same outdated strategy it's just gonna fail again.

I don't really feel bad for Angry Joe this time.... because this is not the first time Joe got f**k by Nintendo. He already knew how Nintendo operate LONG before this video. And he still SUPPORT this sh!tty company by buying their hardware, games, accessories and making video for them...

There is an old saying that everyone know "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me". (and for Joe, definitely more than twice)

BTW, here is the "correct" way to do Nintendo video on youtube...

https://r.ncp.nintendo.net/guide/

Yea, it is kind of sh!tty, but you either "TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT"! There is no point to rant or get angry about it because you KNOW you are not doing the way Nintendo want you to do. It is like there is a restaurant that require(force) you to wear neck tie to dine. If you don't like to wear tie, then dine somewhere else and never come back.

BTW, I am 100% not siding with Nintendo. I hate this company. I owned nothing made/sell by Nintendo. This is how I support a company that I hate.

PhoenixShi likes this

They may have been ahead of time in 1983, but why they're still stuck on 31 December of that same year is beyond me. They release licensed stuff (almost?) exclusively for their own consoles that have sales lower than PCs, Xbox #s or Playstation #s, and it's mostly recycling the same old arcade-y thing (from my standpoint, at least). Why?

BTW, I am 100% not siding with Nintendo. I hate this company. I owned nothing made/sell by Nintendo. This is how I support a company that I hate.

edited: because swearing is not nice, even if it's general swearing (which it was) and not directed at the quoted post. plus, im on anti depressants, i shouldnt be swearing. i dont even know why i did... im also suffering from insomnia. feel free to read a suicidal maniac's post. cheers guys!

--------

you say you hate them, but prove here that you have no grounds to hate them. if you never owned anything they ever made, then why would you hate them? why would you even care?

i hate EA because i bought games they fucked me over with in the past. same goes for ubisoft. same goes for activision.

but i dont hate square enix for producing supposedly lackluster recent final fantasy games. i never played those games. the experience i had with the last FF game i played (12) was a great one.... so why should i just jump on the hate bandwagon because everyone else is?

it's also kind of like saying, you hate German cars because quite often they charge over the top for basic things as extras, like electric windows and leather seats. if you owned a german car... and this annoyed you, then you would have grounds to hate them. but if you never owned one of these cars... why would you "hate" them because of how they annoy OTHER people?

a lot of people basically say they hate nintendo just like you did, but a LOT of these people just like you, are irrelevant because they never owned a nintendo console or game. on the basis that you never owned or played a nintendo game or console, i think i am correct in saying that you have no idea what you are talking about.

oh and please do not take this post as an aggression towards you. i just used your post as an example of the underlying issue with the Internet and Nintendo nowadays. Nintendo has a different way of doing things when it comes to JUST youtube content, and there IS a process to upload a video without getting flagged.

it just means you dont get 100% of the ad revenue. if a youtuber wants to please their audience they wont be complaining about the 40% cut going to nintendo from the ad revenue, but my guess is Joe wants every cent of his video's ad revenue, even if his fanbase wants to see youtube nintendo videos from him.. he's just too proud and uptight to follow nintendo's youtube program to actually get the video live and taking his 60%.

people can whine all they want. nintendo doesnt care. nintendo players dont care either.

end of the day there IS a process to upload a nintendo video successfully... if you dont follow it... tough shit. if you dont like the 40% cut, tough. if you want to rant... tough. does everyone get this now?

if everyone is still going to complain and complain about this when there is a blatant upload process in place that allows for 60% of the revenue without any strikes or flags, then i give up, there's no making sense out of these kind of people.

the content and views, and likes, and dislikes, and comments, and vibrant channel with nintendo videos is worth more than a lousy 40% of ad revenue going to the company that made the game for you to review and play and share in the first place.

I was fortunate enough to catch the live stream when Joe broadcasted the Mario Party 10 gameplay. I was on the edge about wanting to get Mario Party 10 until I saw Joe's live stream and his gameplay. I didn't see anyone I trusted review or show gameplay up until that point. I picked up the Mario Party 10 Amiibo Bundle yesterday and I have not owned a Mario Party title since the N64/GameCube era. I can say catching Joe's live stream was a big influence. The price for the bundle was good and as an amiibo collector I couldn't pass up the Mario figure as well.

It is unfortunate that we will not be seeing any future content from Joe on Nintendo games.

edited down for the wall of text, apologies.

Edit: always seems after midnight i do walls of text.. meh. Must be a full moon.

....................................................................................................................................................

Hey there, i think you have a point well made on Joe about Nintendo giving permission in a way there happy with, lets face it, if Joe did 2 or 3 videos (maybe of lesser quality or a lets play series) then yeah the drop in revenue would be take able i guess and yeah its a one of video so not that much loss but a strike is a strike. What i feel an issue is, is say Joe forgets to add some appropriate quotes on his video tag (the rights belong to stuff.. ) on 1 or 2 of these, his YouTube is shutdown. :/ if flagged as YouTube`s 3 strike rule is beyond hardline (imo) = pretty much fks him over. And thats with Joe following Nintendo`s rule but forgetting maybe once or twice to add it to the program or miss a rule down the line somewhere.

Thats not a fair practice program for me it is basically saying do as we say and we will take 40%, dont and your accounts toast.

Now yeah your point on its there property is valid 100% and thats unarguable.

Now heres my real problem with there program:

Q.If I registered a channel, will all of the videos in that channel be included in the Nintendo Creators Program?

A.Yes, all videos in the channel will be included in the program. Please keep this in mind if your channel contains videos that do not include Nintendo intellectual property.  

In order to not forget to give the right wording or give Nintendo the heads up on a video (lets face it we are human and it will happen) you have to blanket give 30% of your whole AD revenue to Nintendo for the lifetime of your account until the contract is rescinded...     This is where the company loses all respect, in order to make sure you never fall foul of them, give them a load of your money, for life. Just to be safe..   Should Joe have done the program for video 60% .. maybe yeah his choice/fault for not. Should Nintendo have maybe realized hes got the ability to sell there games as proven above .. yeah. Should they maybe have contacted Joe and said look everyone else showing our property has to agree to this or we will take down your video and get you a strike.. absolutely. Thats what PR dept`s are for, not upsetting potential financial markets.    

Now alot of my work is freelance or based on some form of program with gaming companies, its a struggle sometimes as i might put a ton of work into a project and its canned and i get nothing. I know how hard it hits you to not earn for something youve done. Hense why im more prone to Joes side on this, But you did put it very well, if a company has rules about stuff, be it NDAs or how to show there product and how to do it so they wont take action against you which im literally on the fence about on this matter. As long as they do it right and you do to, all good. Some one messes up at least talk about it, rectify it.. not straight up poke them in the {blank}.    

What some people find hard to deal with is, its just a video, so he lost out on some money, so what, it wasnt even his content. Problem is, Joe and the like, make a living of this, every video he puts out contributes to his livelihood, we wanna see more of him? then he needs to eat and pay bills.. so he releases videos, of varying content, lets play vlog review .. w/e he feels like, where it gets annoying, is when he puts a video up chances are people will buy the content of it, so he is earning that company money, why should he earn them money and give them a cut of his too?   Sure Nintendo has a program so they can say, but you can do it our way or not monetize (Spelling?) it. then he wouldnt make it and they wouldnt get more sales so they lose out.. its a terrible business plan. one way they seem evil, the other there stupid.   Again this is all my opinion and im not so much pointing out your view, just you happen to have a point in some way i just needed to put a counter of sorts out there just cos i have to deal with program`s i dont wanna but have to regularly, also sorry to hear about the Anti depressants. Im on them too but for migraines, hope your ok on them i know they mess with you (13 years of exp :( ).

Mr_E_Meatshield likes this

I was able to catch his video before the Copyright Claim came against his video. Youtube lost it's way when they established the Copyright ID system in the first place. It unfairly can claim videos and it obviously doesn't know Fair Use laws which protect reviwers, bloggers, and journalists alike. Also there was a lot of false claims from companies that didn't really the right to that content. Nintendo does have the right to claim videos but they do it in a dickish way. Obviously they don't want their content montized by others even though that could give them more sales and profit in the long run.

Obviously Angry Joe makes money from his videos and Nintendo doesn't want him to make a dime off of their content. I don't support that kind of claim on Angry Joe's videos. Let's say Angry Joe used something I made or created, and he wants to display it, show it off, or even review it. I would as the creator be happy for that. Now if he took it as his own however than there would be a problem. But, Joe doesn't do that and in all honesty Nintendo needs revalutate themselves and figure out do they want free publicity? Even if the people on youtube makes a few cents from the video. Nintendo will get its money from sales and definitely can make more than claiming videos off of youtube.

If I used a clip from Angry Joe and gave credit to him and told my subscribers to check him out. I doubt he would have a problem with that because he understands like I do "Fair Use" and that it'd be good both of us. Now I'm just using that as an example I'm not really video creator I watch videos hahaha. But, Nintendo doesn't know that and they're stuck in old ways that need to change. Hopefully Nintendo will change but I don't see them changing anytime soon.

Hopefully Joe won't get to discouraged by this I hope one day he can create a video with Nintendo Content.

Except even if Joe were to sign-up for Nintendo's Creator Program, he won't be able to put up footage for the Wii U Smash Brothers, Mario Party 10 as they're not included in the White List, Bayonetta 2 isn't on there either. We don't know how often they'll update this list either.

Let's be real here, the Creator's Program not only cuts into Content Creator's cut, but is also a way for Nintendo to control what these people are allowed to make. It's not just about whether one is affected or not, it's also about a company saying what is and isn't acceptable for creators. Even if one thinks that Nintendo doesn't need the publicity, free advertisement only ends up to help them, and they don't lose anything at all from it. The Creator's Program is a complete joke, and is basically Nintendo giving Content Creators the finger and ramming it up where the sun doesn't shine.

TB's two cents about the matter on why the Creator's Program is an absolutely terrible idea:

Note that he also clearly states that the Creator's Program doesn't affect him since he only does PC related videos, but he still dislikes this.

Before you say Nintendo is allowed to do whatever they want about people making money out of their games, TB's got that covered too as he said in the above video:

Now before anyone says "Youtube isn't a real job, because you don't pay taxes", let the Nostalgia Chick shed some light on that:

Also, one of Joe's recent tweets:

AngryJoeArmyAvatar01_bigger.jpgJoe Vargas ‏@AngryJoeShow  1h1 hour ago

What exactly is a "Real Job"? *Checks to see if hes getting paid in monopoly money* ...SONOFABITCH! YOU TROLLS ARE RIGHT!!! THANK YOU!!!

Also, there's such a thing called empathy in people understanding why others dislike something because of various reasons, and sympathizing with them. It's similar to people not liking Microsoft for their initial plan with the X1's always online policies even if they weren't going to be affected by it. These people are basically seeing a company giving some people the finger, disliking it, and then siding with the affected group. It is why even though I'm unaffected by the copyright issue for Youtube, can understand why it's a completely terrible thing for companies to do. Also why I can totally understand why there are people who would boycott Nintendo products over something like this. I believe Total Biscuit is boycotting Sega games for because of a similar issue.

PhoenixShi, Puntosmx and Vulpsi like this

I just watched pre-recorded and live streams of mario party 10 on twitch,   wtf?!    they're not taken down!   is twitch shutting down or banning users or deleting pre-recorded content for copyright b.s. for SHARING?!     No!!   

Nintendo's marketing is what I blame here.  They've managed to screw up so many things in terms of marketing it is beyond ridiculous.  They can't even name their Consoles and handhelds decently.  The only thing I can't complain about marketing wise is their Nintendo Direct, which works reasonably well.

I understand perfectly where Joe is coming from, I myself invested almost 120 hours on one 3DS game alone before this mess started, with the specific intention to do a review on it.  This system is why I've switched to doing written reviews on Nintendo games.

Nintendo's marketing is what I blame here.  They've managed to screw up so many things in terms of marketing it is beyond ridiculous.  They can't even name their Consoles and handhelds decently.  The only thing I can't complain about marketing wise is their Nintendo Direct, which works reasonably well.

I understand perfectly where Joe is coming from, I myself invested almost 120 hours on one 3DS game alone before this mess started, with the specific intention to do a review on it.  This system is why I've switched to doing written reviews on Nintendo games.

A review should be covered under fair use, and if they go after that I doubt you wouldn't get much support. Would actually love to see them go after a big Youtuber's review of a Nintendo game just to see how big the backlash would be.

Despite me saying these things in this thread, I'm still interested in a 3DS.

DestinyDecade likes this

Nintendo is a good company but their policies are retarded... Especially the ones that are against Youtuber's who want to promote or show off their products. Yes they do have a right to claim videos but as Joe said it's a dickish move by them. I don't think they need to claim videos especially since people aren't claiming the game as their own. Obviously that's what Copyright is about so no one steals something you made or created to claim as their own. But, Nintendo is just going about it he wrong way in my opinion.

The ad share revenue thing Nintendo has is kind of bullshit just saying. Most companies don't have that kind of thing and welcome people showing off their games. By all rights Joe has every right to every cent he makes off of his videos. Even if he's sharing other peoples works under fair use... Reviewers should be protected by that law and Nintendo doesn't understand that. He's not stealing your content and you obviously need every penny right?

I agree Mr_E_Meatshield it should be classified as Fair Use.

DestinyDecade likes this

A review should be covered under fair use, and if they go after that I doubt you wouldn't get much support. Would actually love to see them go after a big Youtuber's review of a Nintendo game just to see how big the backlash would be.

Despite me saying these things in this thread, I'm still interested in a 3DS.

I believe I may not have been clear the first time, I am not defending what Nintendo has done here, far from it.  All I was saying was that their marketing team is probably responsible due to their clear history of utter incompetence.

Case in point, their latest handheld is the New 3DS (literally the name is New 3DS, I am not making this up) which will come complete with it's own exclusive titles.

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/consoles/nintendo-new-3ds-xl-black/119890