• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Mr_E_Meatshield

Preserving a Game is Considered "Hacking" and is Illegal

20 posts in this topic

Section 1201 is often used by the entertainment industries not to prevent copyright infringement but to control markets and lock out competition. So it’s not surprising that ESA (the trade association for the largest game producers), along with MPAA and RIAA, have written to the Copyright Office to oppose this exemption. They say that modifying games to connect to a new server (or to avoid contacting a server at all) after publisher support ends—letting people continue to play the games they paid for—will destroy the video game industry. They say it would “undermine the fundamental copyright principles on which our copyright laws are based.”

ESA also says that exceptions to Section 1201’s blanket ban will send a message that “hacking—an activity closely associated with piracy in the minds of the marketplace—is lawful.” Imagine the havoc that could result if people believed that “hacking” was ever legal! Of course,  “hacking” is legal in most circumstances. ESA, the spokespeople for a group of software companies, knows this full well. Most of the programmers that create games for Sony, Microsoft, EA, Nintendo, and other ESA members undoubtedly learned their craft by tinkering with existing software. If “hacking,” broadly defined, were actually illegal, there likely would have been no video game industry.

Behind this hyperbole, ESA (along with MPAA and RIAA) seem to be opposing anyone who bypasses game DRM for any reason, no matter how limited or important.

Games abandoned by their producers are one area where Section 1201 is seriously interfering with important, lawful activities—like continuing to play the games you already own. It’s also a serious problem for archives like the Internet Archive, museums like Oakland, California’s Museum of Art and Digital Entertainment, and researchers who study video games as a cultural and historical medium. Thanks to server shutdowns, and legal uncertainty created by Section 1201, their objects of study and preservation may be reduced to the digital equivalent of crumbling papyrus in as little as a year. That’s why an exemption from the Copyright Office is needed.

Complete Article

Shit, time to throw away my collector's editions then. :(

Shit, time to throw away my collector's editions then. :(

That's not what it means. It basically says that freeware sites, websites that let you print cds for older consoles or arcade emulators are considered hacking and is illegal. Really, these kinds of sites are also labeled under piracy and are illegal in that way too. Websites like GoG wouldn't fall under this because they have the right to sell them by the current owner of the ip. The reason people are upset over this is because a lot of publishers who own these ips, like THQ, no longer exist and are not able to release HD or GoG versions of their games. I don't agree that third party server hosts like Gameranger should fall under the effects of 1201, because it is a completely different thing from taking a game and redistributing it without a license.

That is bulldung so obvious that any judge or whatever lawmaker who approves of this needs to be shot.

Games are considered art nowdays, and should be treated as such. Where owners can restore noticeable age, and where it becomes freely available to all after the creators cease to exist (in this case, service)

Mr. Molotov likes this

This pisses me off. I can see Sony trying to destroy PCSX2 now because people can keep playing their old PS2 games on that instead of re-buying them on PSN. 

I suppose this is my reward for collecting singleplayer RPGs all my life... in that this affects me in absolutely no way!

Even so this is some serious corporate bullshit.

Jinzuro likes this

I suppose this is my reward for collecting singleplayer RPGs all my life... in that this affects me in absolutely no way!

Some games are rare, very expensive, ones are made before new gamers time, and the physical copies of games and the systems that play them will wear out/be broken/lost eventually. As this also prevents people interested in game history or development from studying old games it has a negative effect besides people just being able to play them for fun and is bad news for anyone interested in the history and culture of gaming.

Some games are rare, very expensive, ones are made before new gamers time, and the physical copies of games and the systems that play them will wear out/be broken/lost eventually. As this also prevents people interested in game history or development from studying old games it has a negative effect besides people just being able to play them for fun and is bad news for anyone interested in the history and culture of gaming.

And as I said, it's corporate bullshit. I get that even if it doesn't currently affect me, it will eventually if this copyright is allowed to remain in effect.

As Mr. Molotov stated: that same corporate bullshit may spread to things like emulation which would prevent people from enjoying games on older systems they've long forgotten without having to purchase obsolete systems/games.

Mr. Molotov likes this

With this, they could potentially be striking down dead MMOs that were/are being resurrected by their fans, like SWG:

When it died:

Resurrected:

When MxO died:

Resurrected: http://mxoemu.info/

Or Warhammer age of reckoning:

Resurrected: http://www.returnofreckoning.com/index.php

More info -> http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/389244,going-home-again-reviving-a-dead-mmo.aspx

Not in EU it's not.

QFT.

there is so much written into european law that protects people from this kind of abuse.

QFT.

there is so much written into european law that protects people from this kind of abuse.

Yeah, but if some idiot lawmaker in America outlaws it there, and the devs are based in America and can't move to a different country then its basically ruined for everybody. 

Games that the company doesn't have the tights to anymore should be legal to preserve.

Update: Halo 3 PC multiplayer is back up thanks to the efforts of fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61QfaRjv89I

Was Halo Online for PC ever down? I thought it was just Russia Only, but some fans were trying to get it available for everyone.

How the heck else are people going to be able to play their games when stuff like this happens?

Agreed. Big time.

Even so this is some serious corporate bullshit.

Except for, you know, the ones that require you to connect to a server as part of the DRM, even as a single player game. That server goes away and...