• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

fridgeracer

GTA 5 PC apparently cannot be played offline without internet.

27 posts in this topic

so yeah, reading negative steam reviews of the game, on the negative section.

people either cannot launch the game, get fps glitches, the usual crap you get with a game's first launch. normal. not really a problem.. will get fixed.

but what i find completely unacceptable and imoral is that after ALL THIS TIME... ALL THESE DELAYS... it is "apparently" known to the guys posting on the negative section, that the game's offline / single player experience is completely and 100% inaccessible unless you are connected online and have a rockstar social club account.

even when the game released on the PS3 and xbox 360, no internet connection was required at all to play offline. no social club was needed either, just options there for you, and yet the same single player experience on the officially purchased GTA 5 for PC will NOT work without being connected online.

well, that's it, fucking great. if that really is the case and these guys are not just overlooking something in the options, then i will continue sticking to nintendo hardware and games. im so fucking done with single player games on PC demanding you be connected online. fuck that.

if im ever going to play this game... guess what version i will be playing? the one that doesnt force you to play connected and the one that doesnt force you to create a bloatware and useless account... and yeah you guessed it, the illegal one. fuck it... i might even buy the game, but if i did, i would still play a pirate copy, because at least that one WORKS offline like it should.

fuck the mainstream gaming industry. yeah i dont care... i'll take the youtube hating and dinosaur old fashioned run and underdog company any day over the other bunch of assholes running the industry because at least when i buy a video game from them i dont get fist fucked up my arse.

good day.

Glaice likes this

That's just stupid, pirates will bypass that little issue in like a day or two probably... if they haven't already...I'm tempted to go and look now lol =P.

But yeah, it's like diablo 3 again.

Self fulfilling prophecy that is the war on piracy.

Game Dev Puts DRM to fight Piracy.

Game Launches and Online Only DRM is in Place

People who bought the game can't get around DRM

Pirates find a way around DRM

More people pirate the game

Game Dev upset that people pirate the game

Rinse and Repeat

Sadly, even with the intention of expressing dislike for the DRM, playing the pirated version will always send the message that DRM is needed. Best thing to do is not to buy it, not to pirate it, and not to play it at all.

TamaskanLEM likes this

Self fulfilling prophecy that is the war on piracy.

Game Dev Puts DRM to fight Piracy.

Game Launches and Online Only DRM is in Place

People who bought the game can't get around DRM

Pirates find a way around DRM

More people pirate the game

Game Dev upset that people pirate the game

Rinse and Repeat

Sadly, even with the intention of expressing dislike for the DRM, playing the pirated version will always send the message that DRM is needed. Best thing to do is not to buy it, not to pirate it, and not to play it at all.

I've noticed you say this a docedahedrillion times this past month, but I have to ask, what makes you think devs can tell the difference between someone playing a pirated copy and never bought the real thing, and someone who didn't buy it, and didn't play it at all? I don't think we all have spyware installed on our computers that relays information to rockstar saying "this person is playing a pirated copy of your game! currently has 26 hours played". Or do you think they simply look at the number of downloads on pirate sites? Even that doesn't seem very practical since I'm pretty sure the majority of pirate downloads are in fact just fake files and viruses...and I don't think developers manually check to see which are legit, and which aren't, and then count the number downloaded for those files only.

Basically, I don't think there is any message to send better than simple complaints. You may argue that complaints aren't working, because they still do DRM, but nobody said anything about them listening to the facts. If people didn't play the games at all, they simply wouldn't make the game at all.

I've noticed you say this a docedahedrillion times this past month, but I have to ask, what makes you think devs can tell the difference between someone playing a pirated copy and never bought the real thing, and someone who didn't buy it, and didn't play it at all? I don't think we all have spyware installed on our computers that relays information to rockstar saying "this person is playing a pirated copy of your game! currently has 26 hours played". Or do you think they simply look at the number of downloads on pirate sites? Even that doesn't seem very practical since I'm pretty sure the majority of pirate downloads are in fact just fake files and viruses...and I don't think developers manually check to see which are legit, and which aren't, and then count the number downloaded for those files only.

Basically, I don't think there is any message to send better than simple complaints. You may argue that complaints aren't working, because they still do DRM, but nobody said anything about them listening to the facts. If people didn't play the games at all, they simply wouldn't make the game at all.

To me, the message that people didn't buy the game is much louder than people pirating the game. If people don't buy the game, it's either because they don't want it, it's a bad product, or for personal reasons. Pirating a game says "We want to play your game, but don't want to pay for it." There's of course the "We want your game, but don't want to deal with any BS that you put on it." Developers seem to always think the former about pirates, and hardly (if ever) the latter.

Developers will most likely not care about the motives when someone pirates their product, only that it was pirated. Hence their idea that DRM such as this is necessary. One could argue that they wouldn't care about the motives of people not buying the product either, but it won't (hopefully) lead to thinking that the games need Always Online DRM like pirating the game would.

Now as for the question of knowing who pirated versus who didn't buy it, I personally don't know. However I feel that it would be wrong to assume that they'd think that everyone who didn't buy the game pirated it too. I am of course not a developer, and have no idea how they can find this out or even if they have a way to differentiate it at all. Now I also understand the argument that they could look at the amount of people who pirated the game against the number of copies sold and they'd think that it's the amount that they could've sold as well. But that will just make them think of even more ideas on how to combat piracy.

So wait, you have to be connected to the internet and that's it? Does the system work? Is anyone not able to play because Rockstar's system was down? Have their been any issues at all, other than people saying "I don't like this, it's theoretically bad!"

It's 2015, and I don't think it's outrageous to expect a gaming enthusiast to have a constant internet connection.

I'm pretty shocked that the guy who basically said every PC gamer is a pirate and GTAV PC will be lose money because of it, is now pitching a fit and saying he wants to pirate the game. You realize you are 100% of the problem, right? Look up the Steam stats, there are 189,000 people are playing the game right now this second, with a peak of 300,000 earlier today. That's not even total sales, that's just the number of people in-game at one time. And since those stats are from Steam itself, you know its 100% legit sales, no illicit copies. You need to get off your damn high horse and reexamine your perception of who is the actual problem here.

So wait, you have to be connected to the internet and that's it? Does the system work? Is anyone not able to play because Rockstar's system was down? Have their been any issues at all, other than people saying "I don't like this, it's theoretically bad!"

It's 2015, and I don't think it's outrageous to expect a gaming enthusiast to have a constant internet connection.

Really dude? I don't have a reliable connection. You want to know why? Because the only ISPs in my area are either unreliable assholes, fuck-all expensive or completely nonexistent. You wanna know one of the major things I'm tired of? People like you assuming everybody has the same opportunities as them, and further assuming that if they don't then they don't even matter. That is not only bullshit, its completely fucking stupid and it needs to stop.

I think I failed to communicate my point. Given that they have no means to count how many people didnt buy the game due to disinterest, and how many due to piracy... There is no "message" between the two, because they do not have the means to "hear" the volume levels of the two... Unless there is no single pirated copy at all for them to find evidence of. Which is not only excessively unlikely, but not even something a pirate can control.

Really dude? I don't have a reliable connection. You want to know why? Because the only ISPs in my area are either unreliable assholes, fuck-all expensive or completely nonexistent. You wanna know one of the major things I'm tired of? People like you assuming everybody has the same opportunities as them, and further assuming that if they don't then they don't even matter. That is not only bullshit, its completely fucking stupid and it needs to stop.

He's not talking about how people shouldn't be complaining about it though, but how Fridge who said this:

end of the day lets face it... it's a 99% guarantee rockstar will make a complete loss on this game for the PC because on day 1, torrent sites are going to go mental with plenty of pirated copies up for download.

the PC gamers that want to play it online without a community of friends who use stuff like hamachi will probably be the most likely to buy the game. im also confident that the majority of PC gamers who only want to play it offline by themselves will most definetely be pirating it, very few would pay for the game in comparison.

by this time i honestly cannot see why rockstar even bothered. i would have respected the company if they had turned around 6 months after the game's release on PS3 / 360 and just said "there will not be a GTA 5 for PC, ever".

but now it is coming... only to be ripped apart and stolen by millions, further ensuring rockstar games has no faith in selling PC games. this is probably why red dead redemption will forever remain a console game.

Is now saying that he's going to pirate the game to play it. He's contributing to the problem of piracy himself.

Although I do understand where you're coming from as he did also say this:

But his main point was Fridge contributing to piracy of GTA V. Though I guess we should've seen that coming considering he said this too:

nahh, couldn't care less about it or rockstar now.

this is a game that released in 2013, and was neglected from PC gamers for a very long time... and even after it was finally scheduled for release, they delayed it yet again.

enough is enough. im done waiting for a 1.5 year old game just to be released on the PC. rockstar give a very clear message, "fuck the PC", well here's my message, "fuck you rockstar".

Gives the impression that he wouldn't have bought it anyway.

---

I think I failed to communicate my point. Given that they have no means to count how many people didnt buy the game due to disinterest, and how many due to piracy... There is no "message" between the two, because they do not have the means to "hear" the volume levels of the two... Unless there is no single pirated copy at all for them to find evidence of. Which is not only excessively unlikely, but not even something a pirate can control.

I suppose they would do some sort of research (I don't know how) of who didn't buy it and why. Be it some sort of poll on their own forums, looking on Twitter on who's making a stink about the game and so on (Then again who would actually admit to pirating the game on something like that). But yes, even then it would still be difficult if not impossible to differentiate who pirated it against who simply didn't buy it. But at least they would get some sort of idea that this type of DRM is the wrong move. In the end, pirating will only keep the developer thinking that they need DRM.

However it's strange that GTAV's Online Only DRM isn't causing as much of a stink like Simcity or Diablo 3's. Is it because that it works better compared to those? If so, then people aren't that much against DRM perse, just that they're against ones that aren't smoothed out at launch.

Once again Rockstar treats us PC gamers like crap while console gamers get a free pass on GTA 5..

If your internet is decent enough to download the 65 GB game (maybe the torrent is smaller, idk), it's decent enough to let you sign in to Rockstar's Social Club thing so you can play legit. There's no excuse for piracy.

don't have the game. Played a little bit on the PS4 at my friends house but i found it boring. It's not the GTA like in the old days. There are games out there which are better in some areas than GTA.

I have no reason to buy or even pirate it. For me this game is just Hype, then the PC gamers in general were treated like a inferior customer and then they buffed the game with all layers of DRM and always online + 1,5 year delay. This was a clear message from Rockstar that they don't like PC gamers so I won't support them either. Anyone who support this treatment  and continues to support them just likes to be abused.

but who am i kidding? Most PC gamers wanted and supported it that way since Half-Life 2 and the STEAM acceptance, that opened the way to Origin, Uplay, Battlenet, Rockstar social Club, GfWl...and still praising Gabe newell as the Lord.

but who am i kidding? Most PC gamers wanted and supported it that way since Half-Life 2 and the STEAM acceptance, that opened the way to Origin, Uplay, Battlenet, Rockstar social Club, GfWl...and still praising Gabe newell as the Lord.

Yeah, if PC Gamers are really against Always Online DRM altogether, then they wouldn't be ok with Steam and stuff. Seeing that they are just tells me that they're only against the ones that keep the games from working properly.

Ironically, people use piracy to combat DRM...

If your internet is decent enough to download the 65 GB game (maybe the torrent is smaller, idk), it's decent enough to let you sign in to Rockstar's Social Club thing so you can play legit. There's no excuse for piracy.

It isn't an excuse for piracy. Your line about "how it isn't outrageous to expect a gamer in 2015 to have a constant internet connection" was what set me off. I was having a bad day, and I'm sorry for acting like a dick. I'm not going to explain my actual stance on piracy as it will probably get me banned,

this anti nintendo youtube shit is getting as old as the flames on microsoft for xbox one scew ups, or sony for lackluster video games on the PS4. it's now under the same bandwagon of "internet crybaby horseshit". it seems no gamer in existence is happy with their hobby. more effort gets put into complaining about EVERYTHING, than actually playing games.

im done. this is a very stressful and toxic place. gone are the days of a chilled out and friendly forum.

So when people were complaining about Nintendo's policies you said this. But now you're complaining about something Rockstar did and praising Nintendo so it's ok.

Thanks for contributing to what you called a very stressful and toxic place.

Crazycrab likes this

I have no reason to buy or even pirate it. For me this game is just Hype, then the PC gamers in general were treated like a inferior customer and then they buffed the game with all layers of DRM and always online + 1,5 year delay. This was a clear message from Rockstar that they don't like PC gamers so I won't support them either. Anyone who support this treatment  and continues to support them just likes to be abused.

The thing about GTA V on PC is that it actually isn't just a standard port. It was rebuilt to give PC gamers the optimal experience. Everything other than the "always online" thing about GTA V shows how much love they really did hace for the PC version. 

Honestly, I have nothing against always online. I kinda prefer it over other forms of DRM.

So when people were complaining about Nintendo's policies you said this. But now you're complaining about something Rockstar did and praising Nintendo so it's ok.

Thanks for contributing to what you called a very stressful and toxic place.

you're not going to be very popular around here, or with me specifically, if all you are going to do is troll other threads to pull out posts of what people said in entirely different topics and contexts and then stick it in here just to forcefully prove you are right above everyone else.

i can do the same to be honest, you pulled the same thing in the nintendo forums and pissed off quinsdaddy11 so much you made him see the whole of AJSA as unwelcoming and he left because of you alone.

it's also a well documented fact that i am on anti depressants and it's clearly displayed on my profile and i mentioned it around these forums a few times which you clearly read, but you chose to ignore that in this instance and achieve nothing but pissing me off, adding you back to the ignore list, and pretty much adding to the unwelcoming side of this community.

i got no time for forum warriors. it's not my fault you got some physical problem that house bounds you, but that doesn't give you the excuse to be rude and dictatorial in the way you express yourself in any forum.

you really need to work on your manners. what you did here is downright rude and i've had enough of it, you seem to be doing it a lot.

i didn't like you at first, but i thought we started getting along here just fine, making jokes and what not... and now you decide to do this? what did i ever do to you? good day sir.

Beatmaster A.C. likes this

you're not going to be very popular around here, or with me specifically, if all you are going to do is troll other threads to pull out posts of what people said in entirely different topics and contexts and then stick it in here just to forcefully prove you are right above everyone else.

i can do the same to be honest, you pulled the same thing in the nintendo forums and pissed off quinsdaddy11 so much you made him see the whole of AJSA as unwelcoming and he left because of you alone.

it's also a well documented fact that i am on anti depressants and it's clearly displayed on my profile and i mentioned it around these forums a few times which you clearly read, but you chose to ignore that in this instance and achieve nothing but pissing me off, adding you back to the ignore list, and pretty much adding to the unwelcoming side of this community.

i got no time for forum warriors. it's not my fault you got some physical problem that house bounds you, but that doesn't give you the excuse to be rude and dictatorial in the way you express yourself in any forum.

you really need to work on your manners. what you did here is downright rude and i've had enough of it, you seem to be doing it a lot.

i didn't like you at first, but i thought we started getting along here just fine, making jokes and what not... and now you decide to do this? what did i ever do to you? good day sir.

You were quite the hypocrite is what you did. That Quinn guy was also being a Jerk to anyone who he thought was Anti Nintendo, instead of just debating his points to the point that he just attacked anyone who disagreed with him as everyone in this thread pointed out. But no, it was everyone else's toxic behavior. In reality, Quinn's attitude was the toxic one, but you don't see that because he's on Nintendo's side.

You also pretty much insulted everyone on the forums who helped you as this post points out. But hey, you're not reading this as you already put me in that ignore list. Because hey, apparently I'm trolling instead of not letting you get away with your hypocrisy.

Fact: You wanted people to stop complaining and return to just playing games.

Fact: You don't do that yourself as evidenced here.

Laserrifle125 likes this

While I still stand by my previous posts. And while I think fridge's opinion here has biased elements, it is still a valuable post in informing us about always online and such. I prefer calling people out when I think it is appropriate, and this time I dont really think it is such.

While I still stand by my previous posts. And while I think fridge's opinion here has biased elements, it is still a valuable post in informing us about always online and such. I prefer calling people out when I think it is appropriate, and this time I dont really think it is such.

Point out that it's got an Always Online DRM, sure. Be reasonably upset about it, fair enough. Rage about it, and say you're going to pirate it? Don't think so.

I'd just like to point out that "always online" is a bit misleading. I just did some tests, because I'm the type of forum warrior who likes to back up my arguments with facts, and you only need to be online to start the game. Once you're signed into Steam and the Rockstar Social Club, you can safely yank the ethernet cord and continue playing.

While I see that doesn't address any of fridge's issues with the system, it may be useful information for people whose connection is unreliable, rather than nonexistent.

Well that's good. Hopefully the whole need to log in will be removed in a later patch...as in before rockstar stops hosting their login servers.