• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Jitterdoomer

We hate Modern Gaming in general.

53 posts in this topic

While people love to complain about all the hand holding, and what not in games these days, when it's not there, people used to modern gaming complain constantly, or just don't know how to handle it.

Spoiler, they suck at old NES games.

While people love to complain about all the hand holding, and what not in games these days, when it's not there, people used to modern gaming complain constantly, or just don't know how to handle it.

Spoiler, they suck.

Also thanks to being connected to the internet, bugs and other things that are broken in-game are able to be fixed through patches. Not everything in modern gaming is terrible. Unfortunately some people just refuse to look at or believe there's a bright side.

One thing is that gaming is moving towards being more of a service industry, rather than a product based industry as it was before. From what I remember, when the NES came out (I'm old, deal with it), I'm not sure the Internet was even a thing yet, or if it was, it certainly hadn't caught on yet, then early on download speeds were painfully slow. With things as they are now, companies have more to worry about when it comes to pirating, and the like of games provided as a product. Providing games as a service, and more service related features in games as a product like patches only accessible with an authorized, and registered game give them more security.

DeadOrb1t likes this

Also thanks to being connected to the internet, bugs and other things that are broken in-game are able to be fixed through patches.

yeah but in the older days without internet and / or poor internet with the older generation consoles we didn't need to worry because 99% of the time when you bought a video game... it worked, period. no ifs and buts about it... games just worked.

today's gaming industry deliberately abuses the internet by releasing games too quickly or poorly and then uses patches and updates as the excuse, and it's not like you even have a legal leg to stand on because the broken games we now buy all come with an end user licence which you must accept before playing the broken game, which will detail inside it that the game "could" not work at all, and that means they legally can actually keep releasing shit and broken games and just fix them later when it's convenient for them, leaving people like me wondering why i even bother.

FugitiveSum likes this

yeah but in the older days without internet and / or poor internet with the older generation consoles we didn't need to worry because 99% of the time when you bought a video game... it worked, period. no ifs and buts about it... games just worked.

Some of the games that AVGN made videos of seem to say otherwise.

Modern gaming also has unofficial patches from third parties in case the developers themselves can't be bothered to make them.

All I'm saying is gaming back then was nice, but it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows either.

Then Bloodbourne happened.

And every one who was raised in the tutorial generation sniffed and cried in the corner of their basements... For it was reckless and showed no mercy for the weak.

last generation was best at being efficient .

this generation is best at delivering a connected and flowing experience

Some of the games that AVGN made videos of seem to say otherwise.

Modern gaming also has unofficial patches from third parties in case the developers themselves can't be bothered to make them.

All I'm saying is gaming back then was nice, but it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows either.

Agree with you there, but things like unofficial patches can be a hassle. Not to mention that's just a pc thing. Taking that into account, a huge charm consoles had going for it was that it was basically hassle-free. Now looking at xbone's installation requirements and the WiiU's Day-one console patch, that's slowly going away.

That shit is so staged as hell it's fake.

That video, and related, may, or may not have been staged. Although when seeing people griping about how clueless they are about what to do, since the game didn't handhold them through it as often as I have seen happen, it's not that unbelievable.

Dane2hip48 likes this

You guys need to take off the rose tintee sunglasses.

The nes was one of the least stable consoles ever in NA. The s3ga genesis' controller buttons die out for no reason. Games had slowdown ALL THE TIME. Music and sound would frquently cut off or lose channels during gameplay.

Last... There were no console indie games. Because game devs didnt get nearly the same level of support, they couldnt afford mass production, and there were none of those so-called bad hard drives for easy distribution

Mr_E_Meatshield likes this

... Unfortunately some people just refuse to look at or believe there's a bright side.

True...but it's sooooo easy when those positive points are far outweighed by the negative.

You guys need to take off the rose tintee sunglasses.

I'd say making games more user friendly is a good thing, of course anything can be taken too far. The way things were made before, were based on how things were before, everything is different now, as technology has changes so much since then, and continues to do so. We have considerably more choice now due to the increased degree of accessibility to the required technology, game development at the same time can be considerably more difficult due to increased complexity in game design options, PC gaming being the big thing it is now makes things more difficult when combined with the prior point due to how many PC configuration options there are, and so on. To me, things/games aren't necessarily better, or worse now, compare to before, just different.

Considering my earliest experience with gaming involved me basically running really fast and rescuing woodland creatures while also trying to avoid spike traps, robots, and what have you while also collecting enough rings to get all the extra lives I could find so I wouldn't have to restart from the beginning after losing all my continues from that damn submarine -gasp-

I think it's safe to say that classic gaming held a difficulty far higher than that of even the hardest settings in most modern videogames. In the old days there were no tutorials, no handholding, just you being thrust into a game not knowing what to do or where to go until you figured it all out... or cheated by reading the manual >->

Granted, I don't hate modern gaming but it's certainly far less difficult than past games were, even in the same franchises. Like for instance in Skyrim where fetch quests give you the exact location of the item it wants you to find so as to avoid that pesky challenge of "looking around".

wQnKJlY.jpg

I suppose in order of those problems I would say

So what and in the past we had to manage memory card space or write down and save passwords (that is if you had a game that would even allow you to manage your memory card space on the N64)

No one who knows anything about older consoles would say that they were all durable and reliable (US NES causing more wear on cartridges, cartridge games needing to be cleaned to work, PS2 disk read errors from parts that would easily break, some versions of the PS2 not being able to play certain games, PS2 problems playing DVDs, Sega CD, CD-i, Virtual Boy, Jaguar, terrible controllers or ones that will easily stop working for the Genesis, Jaguar, CD-i, and N64)

Multiple versions of the same console? Like the different US and Japanese version of the NES, three different versions of the Genesis with different versions of the add on Sega CD and 32X, multiple RAAM upgrades for the Saturn needed to play certain games, expansion pack for the N64 needed to play certain games, different versions of the GBA, DS (needed to play certain games), PS1, PS2, and PSP. The only current device I can even think of that has different specs that prevent it from playing certain games is the 3DS, but the same can be said for the DS.

The Kinect is no longer required and trying to pretend there are more useless accessories in modern gaming just for the Kinect obviously don't remember any of the accessories for older consoles.

Yes, the good old days of taking my NES online without needing an account. An account was required for the Xbox and PS2 and if you lived in an area that had online connections for the older system you usually had to pay for that service as well.

Updates adding features to my console sounds like a good thing.

As an adult with friends all over the world, a lot more people should be able to take advantage of that than those who want couch co-op. Even as a kid that would have made things easier.

Horrible arguments, as always, from someone wearing rose colored sunglasses and going out of their way to ignore the positives of modern gaming.

(I'm old, deal with it)

Intelligence comes with age.

But in the old days they took more time to finish a game due to the lack of internet there was no pressure. Sure games where easier to make I guess. But due to the pressure these days games are being released way to soon and getting fixed after launch because it wasn't tested of seen by the testers.

I love the progress the programmers made in the years. I don't like the marketing behind it. Programmers can scream that a game isn't ready, if marketing says to release it.... Well.... Money...

Only half the points on the original post are actually accurate.

Even older consoles had storage management (Limited space on save cards)

There are still only 2 versions of the same console in that pic. Playstation and Xbox. There's two different generations which aren't the same as their predecessors anymore than a NES / SNES.

Online play requires an account / subscription. That's an entirely new feature that wasn't available to the old consoles so you can't say they did it better. No one is forcing you to buy an online multiplayer game.

Points I do agree with. More local multiplayer would be nice and maybe games are a bit too linear. While I have noticed some games tell you what to do every step of the way games are far more complicated than they used to be so a degree of assistance is sometimes needed in the beginning.

about programmers/marketing, it was always like that. E.T. being a popular example. marketing dude "make E.T. the game.. you got 2 weeks". programmer "sigh..." Don't think ET is some freak occurrence/exception... contrary to popular belief, it is NOT the worst game IMO.. it's just it was really high on the bad list, and the thing that made it "worst" was that it had too many damn effing copies/investments made, and...yeah. When the Atari was the current gen system, and people had ET...nobody really cried it was the worst game ever, nobody. Not saying the game was good, just trying to emphasize that there were THAT many poor games, ET just stood out due to mass production. It's kinda like assassins creed unity. poor quality in many areas, total flop, massive budget, etc. But you can't objectively say it's a worse game than...I forgot the name...that zombie shooting game that jim sterling got a hate-video for giving a bad review for.

as for the tutorial/ told how to play thing. Honestly it blows my mind how dumb gamers seem these days. I love the guy, he CAN be a good gamer, I mean ghouls and ghosts really IS an accomplishment to beat, but so many times I just facedesk when I watch the angry videogame nerd play a game. One really bad example is metal combat (battleclash 2), the game has a tutorial you're FORCED to play, that tells you you must charge your gun and then fire in order to do any respectable damage to a mech, and that rapid shots are only good for shooting down bullets, but the dude SLAMMED the game because he never charged his shots, and used rapid shots ont he mech, then complained it takes too long.ugh. It drove me even more crazy when he did a couple charged shots by accident, and he STILL didn't figure it out.

sometimes he plays other games too where he completely fails to recognize an absolutely fundamental aspect of the game required to play properly, and I mean those old systems only needed 2-4 buttons... how complicated can it be to figure it out? god. Even his new video with ninja turtles 3, they beat up each other in mode A using the throw move.. but you can't throw each other, so it's wasted...but then they proceed to NOT use the thow move EVER on the enemies you CAN throw, and complain that they wish there were more moves, and good ones like the previous turtles game... aGSJKLASGKJASLKGHASLKGJ

He's not an exception either...so many people are this derp. Hell, even FPS fans...I see them running around, shoot at someone, leave ONE bullet in the clip, and fail to use the fucking reload button afterwards while they are not in combat.

So yeah. the whole hand-holding told how to play stuff is annoying, and it often makes things tedious for me, but I understand and respect its purpose.