• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Jitterdoomer

We hate Modern Gaming in general.

53 posts in this topic

about programmers/marketing, it was always like that. E.T. being a popular example. marketing dude "make E.T. the game.. you got 2 weeks". programmer "sigh..." Don't think ET is some freak occurrence/exception... contrary to popular belief, it is NOT the worst game IMO.. it's just it was really high on the bad list, and the thing that made it "worst" was that it had too many damn effing copies/investments made, and...yeah. When the Atari was the current gen system, and people had ET...nobody really cried it was the worst game ever, nobody. Not saying the game was good, just trying to emphasize that there were THAT many poor games, ET just stood out due to mass production. It's kinda like assassins creed unity. poor quality in many areas, total flop, massive budget, etc. But you can't objectively say it's a worse game than...I forgot the name...that zombie shooting game that jim sterling got a hate-video for giving a bad review for.

as for the tutorial/ told how to play thing. Honestly it blows my mind how dumb gamers seem these days. I love the guy, he CAN be a good gamer, I mean ghouls and ghosts really IS an accomplishment to beat, but so many times I just facedesk when I watch the angry videogame nerd play a game. One really bad example is metal combat (battleclash 2), the game has a tutorial you're FORCED to play, that tells you you must charge your gun and then fire in order to do any respectable damage to a mech, and that rapid shots are only good for shooting down bullets, but the dude SLAMMED the game because he never charged his shots, and used rapid shots ont he mech, then complained it takes too long.ugh. It drove me even more crazy when he did a couple charged shots by accident, and he STILL didn't figure it out.

sometimes he plays other games too where he completely fails to recognize an absolutely fundamental aspect of the game required to play properly, and I mean those old systems only needed 2-4 buttons... how complicated can it be to figure it out? god. Even his new video with ninja turtles 3, they beat up each other in mode A using the throw move.. but you can't throw each other, so it's wasted...but then they proceed to NOT use the thow move EVER on the enemies you CAN throw, and complain that they wish there were more moves, and good ones like the previous turtles game... aGSJKLASGKJASLKGHASLKGJ

He's not an exception either...so many people are this derp. Hell, even FPS fans...I see them running around, shoot at someone, leave ONE bullet in the clip, and fail to use the fucking reload button afterwards while they are not in combat.

So yeah. the whole hand-holding told how to play stuff is annoying, and it often makes things tedious for me, but I understand and respect its purpose.

I agree. The bad games don't usually come from devs, but from the marketing team!

"Make me a Call of Duty!"

"But this is Resident E-"

"I don't care! Make it a Call of Duty!"

And resident evil happened.

I'm sick of those who refuse to remove the rose coloured glasses and admit that old-school gaming had it's problems, sure modern gaming has a lot of issues, but it does have many positives.

HeroEightyTwo likes this

But due to the pressure these days games are being released way to soon and getting fixed after launch because it wasn't tested of seen by the testers.

The same can be said in the older days, especially for the Atari, NES, and PC. A lot of games were rushed out and there was constant shovelware.

but so many times I just facedesk when I watch the angry videogame nerd play a game.

I'm always confused when I see people treat him as a serious critic or a reviewer of video games. Film and making videos are more his passion. If people watch him in other videos he's really not that knowledgeable about video games, and game concepts that are common to most of us aren't to him. You can see him fail to get past or understand usually pretty obvious mechanics, ask what shoulder buttons are on one of his N64 videos while he's playing with Mike, etc. He's just making comedic videos usually for the only real time of video games that he's familiar with, the NES-SNES era.

So yeah. the whole hand-holding told how to play stuff is annoying, and it often makes things tedious for me, but I understand and respect its purpose.

As someone who frequently plays new games, indie games, alt games, and old games on multiple consoles and the PC, it's really not even that different now then it used to be. Western RPGs have changed more from there being more hand holding, that's obvious from looking at things like Fallout 3, Skyrim, and Dragon Age (of course now we have Divinity OS, Wasteland 2, Pillars, Tides of Numenera, and other games from smaller companies so even that's not really an issue right now) and FPS games have (those also have games that play more like the old ones, or ones that are far more complex than they used to be) but most genres really haven't changed all that much. It's not like I put in a modern day platformer and am being constantly reminded to keep heading to the right after I complete a 10 minute tutorial about how to jump.

Laserrifle125 likes this

Old consoles running a solid 60fps? That is such bs lol ocarina of time on the n64 ran at 18fps and there is no way anything earlier could have come close to it. I doubt the ps could have handled it either.

Mortal Kombat X related.

So 10 seconds of him saying the online is region locked and over six minutes of him whining about nothing and making an ass of himself? This guy has over 7,000 subscribers? This is the kind of video that leads to people making fun of youtubers.

Old consoles running a solid 60fps? That is such bs lol ocarina of time on the n64 ran at 18fps and there is no way anything earlier could have come close to it. I doubt the ps could have handled it either.

Not something I knew anything about, but I did assume that was also bullshit, in addition to just being an obviously terrible comparison.

Gran Turismo 4 (PS2) runs at 1080i at 60fps also DMC 1 (JNSTC) and even F-Zero GX for the Gamecube runs at 60fps

But honestly though, am I the only one who hates broken hard/megaman hard nintendo games?

I will put my little part on this argument, and I only have a thing to say about old FPS vs Modern FPS: Bring me the difficulty back, and the large variety of enemies. If they keep producing their COD's or BF's, I'll just stick to my Doom's and Quake's. Now that I said it, back to Painkiller! 

With things like Halo's Legendary mode, I thought the difficulty never left this modern age.

With things like Halo's Legendary mode, I thought the difficulty never left this modern age.

Same goes with the Ninja Gaiden games (recent ones) and the Souls games.

Stuff people usually point back to as being hard often ended up being the rather unforgiving, memorize everything, do it perfectly, and if you mess up, you may end up needing to start the game over from the beginning as you'd lose all the power-ups you accumulated, and needed type deal. There's still some stuff like that, often toting the tag "retro" like a badge of honour, but better difficult games from before, and now tend to be more, get used to the game, play well, keep at it, and you'll manage. There's still many newer games, of various genres that would be more difficult, but with so many more games being released these days, you need to look harder to find them.

There's also games that let you adjust how difficult the game will be beyond just difficulty settings, by say how you equip your character. What's annoying is when people gripe how easy the game is, but when you suggest they don't over-equip their chars so that they're grossly OP, they just look at you like you grew a second head or something.

Stuff people usually point back to as being hard often ended up being the rather unforgiving, memorize everything, do it perfectly, and if you mess up, you may end up needing to start the game over from the beginning as you'd lose all the power-ups you accumulated, and needed type deal. There's still some stuff like that, often toting the tag "retro" like a badge of honour, but better difficult games from before, and now tend to be more, get used to the game, play well, keep at it, and you'll manage. There's still many newer games, of various genres that would be more difficult, but with so many more games being released these days, you need to look harder to find them.

There's also games that let you adjust how difficult the game will be beyond just difficulty settings, but say how you equip your character. What's annoying is when people gripe how easy the game is, but when you suggest they don't over-equip their chars so that they're grossly OP, they just look at you like you grew a second head or something.

I can understand that. If we have to handicap ourselves to get a decent challenge then those moments that put us in those situations failed us.

Also for that bs old school way of difficulty..

20121218000936!ZombiU_Box_Art_(Final).jp

This game have a mode where you don't spawn as a different character. Once you die then it's all over. Back to the very beginning.

pBQiceo.gif

Good thing this existed amirite:

dRVJqi9.jpg

All of it... all of it is true. I hate how modern gaming is nowadays. I really do.

Don't get me started on mmorpg's

>Pré WOW: Rich worlds of adventure and discovery where you interacted with other players constantly.

>post WOW: Shallow Geargrinds of instanced raid after instanced raid with minimum communication.

When will someone competent start making mmo's again?

I'm sad to see younger generations dosen't want at least looking to the games we have in the ninety. We have so badass classic has well good stories. Hell even some franchises see they born in this decade and new generations don't want to look at them only because they are to ugly ? Damn. I even got difficulties to push my cousin of 15 years at least just to try 2 minutes of the first Mario bros on nes just for the history lessons.  

About those old console peripherals:

Multiple Iterations of the same machine: Game Boy Line

I see a lot of people talk about map location and "hand holding". I just want to put my two cents here:

I for some reason cant really grasp the whole environment in a 3d game, Maybe it is because I haven't played alot of 3d games.

For example when I was playing the beginning of Mass Effect 1 I had to go to the map and either put markers or see where my character is MULTIPLE TIMES because I just couldn't tell where the paths were and I stepped over poor Jenkin's corpse X_X; I know looking at the map it had pretty much a linear one path, but still. That is just me though.

Edit : Same thing with Jade empire though I think that was easier.

Don't get me started on mmorpg's

>Pré WOW: Rich worlds of adventure and discovery where you interacted with other players constantly.

>post WOW: Shallow Geargrinds of instanced raid after instanced raid with minimum communication.

When will someone competent start making mmo's again?

Strange since I have the exact opposite opinion.

Pre-wow: was the gear grind since skill couldnt save you from getting hit by enemies and bosses. You NEEDED gear to survive INEVITABLE and conetant damage, and gear to heal faster than the damage. And you needed everyonr to be geared to beat raids... Post wow: you can theoretically beat or even solo bosses beyond your recommended gear level thru skillful play.

I see a lot of people talk about map location and "hand holding". I just want to put my two cents here:

I for some reason cant really grasp the whole environment in a 3d game, Maybe it is because I haven't played alot of 3d games.

For example when I was playing the beginning of Mass Effect 1 I had to go to the map and either put markers or see where my character is MULTIPLE TIMES because I just couldn't tell where the paths were and I stepped over poor Jenkin's corpse X_X; I know looking at the map it had pretty much a linear one path, but still. That is just me though.

Edit : Same thing with Jade empire though I think that was easier.

Map markers on their own isn't hand holding, they're just map markers. Hand holding is when they just spell everything you are to do while playing out for you, so you don't have to really even think for yourself. It's just one step from the game playing itself when hand holding gets too extreme. A helpful, and intuitive UI, with a useful tutorial, and beneficial tool tips are good things, and can include things like map markers.

----------------------------------------------------------

Strange since I have the exact opposite opinion.

Pre-wow: was the gear grind since skill couldnt save you from getting hit by enemies and bosses. You NEEDED gear to survive INEVITABLE and conetant damage, and gear to heal faster than the damage. And you needed everyonr to be geared to beat raids... Post wow: you can theoretically beat or even solo bosses beyond your recommended gear level thru skillful play.

Most old MMOs were tab targeting type things, or slower action games, so gear really could be king. Fast paced action MMOs where skill has more impact is a newer thing, as the quality of the related technology has improved so much over the years. All WoW really did for MMOs, or online games in general was get the huge casual crowd into them, so that they became a big business, rather than the niche hardcore grinder thing they were before.

Also a number of the things people call MMOs, aren't MMOs, just online games, all MMOs are online games, but not all online games are MMOs. Most of the more action online games, aren't MMOs, there are some, like TERA, but many aren't, as only a handful of people can actively play together at the same time, thereby taking the massive, out of the multiplayer.

I know. I wasnt saying wow caused that change. Just that the games after are more often better than the ones before for yhe reason i mentioned

The best thing to do is just not buy the games.

at some point the companies will need to listen to us and actually make good games

The best thing to do is just not buy the games.

at some point the companies will need to listen to us and actually make good games

Not really, if people don't buy the games, but companies don't know why, they're just going to be more likely to make more of the considered cash cow games instead of the games you want. Structured complaints so companies know what the problem is can have a greater impact than silently doing nothing, hoping someone will make the thing you want.

Alexander452 likes this