• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Yeshu

What defines an RPG for you?

What defines an RPG for you?   304 members have voted

1. 1. What defines an RPG for you?

• Character and story development (talking with NPC's, morality choices etc;)
    • Character creation and growth (statistics, chosing skills, leveling up etc;)
    • Both.
    • Something else (comment).

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

112 posts in this topic

I love RPG's with an extensive loot system, deep overly complex character development and long story missions that focus on immersion and attention to detail. Also having a unique world, much like Fallout or Mass Effect, is the cherry on the top.

i Always love customizing my character as deeply as i can, and adding anything creative. Also having an interesting complex story with lots of nuances within the plot and side story.

RolePlay Game

means as soon as they put you in a constant dynamic storyline with a developing character it IS an RPG, just lvling up a character and growing it doesnt makes the game an RPG, MMOFPS or multiplayer shooters are the best proofs around

it MUST have a dynamic story with a situation that you have a role in and that your character affects it, otherwise its no RPG

Mass Effect and Elders Scrolls are 2 of the best RPGs out there except one is medieval-fantasy and the other is sci-fi but they both have the same fundamentals of what an RPG really is

All of the above. I'd also add variable endings (or story line conclusions) and open world environments. The less linear, the better.

Girith likes this

RPGs need character development. They need to make you feel that your character matters and that he is in control of his own actions. In the Elder Scrolls games your character is guided by fate, so your actions don't seem to carry much weight. The morality system also isn't very deep, for example, you can choose not to do a quest, that is about it. Aside from the Daedra quests, but even those are a little shallow in the choice department.

funkymonk likes this

RolePlay Game

means as soon as they put you in a constant dynamic storyline with a developing character it IS an RPG, just lvling up a character and growing it doesnt makes the game an RPG, MMOFPS or multiplayer shooters are the best proofs around

it MUST have a dynamic story with a situation that you have a role in and that your character affects it, otherwise its no RPG

Mass Effect and Elders Scrolls are 2 of the best RPGs out there except one is medieval-fantasy and the other is sci-fi but they both have the same fundamentals of what an RPG really is

As much as i agree with you the term RPG has been so watered down that it means something else to each person. The Elder Scrolls have an extensive character creation system but let's be honest, the main plot was never there big thing, most people just run around doing side quests.

Mass Effect had a big story and character interaction but the character skills, traits etc. (minus Shepards look) boild down to: press upgrade to get better stuff. Especially in number two, where every class had 3 skills that was basically attack, support, status effect.

rairoken16 likes this

As much as i agree with you the term RPG has been so watered down that it means something else to each person. The Elder Scrolls have an extensive character creation system but let's be honest, the main plot was never there big thing, moust people just run around doing sie quests.

Mass Effect had a big story and character interaction but the character skills, traites etc. (minus Shepards look) boild down to: press upgrade to get better stuff. Especialy in number two, where every class had 3 skills that was basicaly atack, support, status effect.

tell me about it

my IRL bestfriend thinks MMORPG = fantasy turn-based like Final Fantasy or whatever, he cant get over the fact an RPG is a singleplayer Role Playing Game and not a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

the point is you dont need to have a big badass story for your game to be an RPG, you just need to have a story affected by the player in real-time

customization is just a plus, i can customize my character in Planetside 2 and ARMA 3 yet those are not RPGs but pure FPS :)

So long as the game mechanics aren't broken I can play just about anything. I'd choose a great story over anything. I'm one of the few I think who liked the Witcher 2 more than Skyrim. The reason being is that the story was so much better in my opinion. 

fr3q3nc likes this

I like one with a good story, but what always keeps me coming back for more the most is when they offer a number of character development options to try out.

Character creation and growth defines an rpg, the fact that character and story development is important, is a different question imo.

For me, it is the oppurtunity to play with your character the way you want. Whether it be dialogue options or what weapons you wanna use. The world having a deep lore is always a plus. Mechanic size, it is important that you would feel empowered when you overcome a challenge. Lately it was done as a ''Epic loot'' style but it can be that you earned something different and so on. 

I guess the short answer is the perfect marriage between story/character growth and Mechanics. Hard to do both as good but it is something to strive for.

Well for the most part I do believe most people see an rpg as any game that allows for leveling. Reason being we have all these sub categories for rpg's. Adventure rpg, point and click rpg, side scrolling rpg... etc, etc. Their all rpg's just different forms with their own qualities both good and bad concerning how the game was designed.  

For me though, a true rpg is the one you get into and its a living breathing world to go at with your finger tips, dagger, sword, staff, whatever the type of rpg is and whatever your character is. I know some like The Wither series for example you play as the main character Geralt, but then you have the others where you get to make your own characters from scratch (sort of in most cases). Some allow you to give your character specific abilities based on the class you choose for them and like for some games even certain abilities based on the deities you have them worship. Heck, I recall one in which they gave you the option to type out your characters biography. Didn't do anything for the in-game, but it was a welcoming touch to have.

Modding, its not really an RPG thing, but I feel mods work best for RPGs. I've spent hundred of hours on modding Fallout3, Dragon Age 1 & 2, Oblivion & SKyrim. Mods re-inject value and interests in games I've done before.

I assume most ppl know of them but I'll give a link to the community where I get my mods : http://nexusmods.com

RPGs need character development. They need to make you feel that your character matters and that he is in control of his own actions. In the Elder Scrolls games your character is guided by fate, so your actions don't seem to carry much weight. The morality system also isn't very deep, for example, you can choose not to do a quest, that is about it. Aside from the Daedra quests, but even those are a little shallow in the choice department.

Agreed, Elder Scrolls series are basically amusement parks. You wanna ride this quest or not? But the thing is that game can still be considered an rpg even though it may be so shallow. I think rpg definition is lacking and can be divided in to sub-genres. Just look at Skyrim and Witcher 2. They are absolutely very different games, in Skyrim you have a blank slate character with complete physical freedom but cannot change how any story goes yet no story goes on without him, in Witcher you got a character with a predetermined backstory and a personality which has limited physical freedom but he(you) can drastically change the way a story goes through the plenty predetermined interactions/actions the developer has made available for you. And we put both these games under the same rpg definition. Why? Because there is skill system, yo. /s

Always loved the idea of crafting systems, being able to create the stuff you use with what you find in the open world or while trading. Extensive skill trees are always nice to, adds a lot of replayability, so you're not just building the same character over and over again.

Most important things for me in RPGs are story, dialogues and charachter development. I totally despise games that have levels and quests and already its stamped as and RPG. For example borderlands. Love the game but in my opinion its just an open world FPS.

Freedom. That's my biggest thing. Freedom in a dynamic setting. Freedom in a dynamic setting following an engaging storyline. A huge aspect is character creation. It's hard for me to be invested in a character I haven't created. I might have been spoiled due to the amount of games that have this option, but in order to be a successful RPG you need that element. Character development is central to the storyline. I feel all games should have this feature, but sadly, very few do. Humans are not cardboard cutouts of stereotypes. You can't give a character a specific trait, and stick with it. You won't get a very relatable character. Open world RPGs are hard to do correctly, but when they are, you won't find a more engaging, immersing, or simply, better game than those.

Story and character are my two big things, as in the SNES and PS1 days, JRPGs were developing nicely as a story telling medium. I think exploration and character growth carried by a narrative framework are what define it as a genre. I think too many games use RPG mechanics these days, as a lazy way to let the player increase their powers as the game chugs along. Not every game needs a leveling system and unlockable abilities. This is just a personal thing, but I tend to think of RPGs as being turned based. I can't help but feel like that most games released as RPGs are just action games with a leveling system. I kind of miss the old school style of JRPGs. They still make them, but for phones and handhelds, neither of which I particularly use.

What it really comes down to for me is making the character your own. Both within the world and within itself. I love the idea of being someone that i could never be IRL, while still carrying over those values (somewhere between Mass Effect and WoW) Into the world and my character itself.

Leveling up is great, but that's just a reward for the time that you put in the game and i see it as a way to experience more content rather than a self gratifying experience.

I love RPG's and always will for the character development. The less linear and the more personality and choice driven the better. I miss games like this and i wish i had a REALLY good new one to play on my PC. :P

Erranruin likes this

The term "RPG" was first coined with those old pen'n'paper DnD-esque games. When we're saying a video game is an "RPG" we're not directly saying that it's a game where you play a dynamic role within the game's universe. All we're saying is that the game is a video version of those pen'n'paper RPGs. So video games can't rightly be considered an RPG unless it has the defining features of a pen'n'paper RPG:

1. Create and/or develop a given character

2. Have some kind of way to make your character stronger. Or some kind of feature that progresses your character in way that you can do things you couldn't do before. But note that this can't be something that doesn't happen throughout the game, like learning your skills progressively in a tutorial level. We're talking stuff like levels, rolling stats or a gear ladder (mostly all 3).

3. Have said character take a dynamic role within the game's story

Personally what I look for in an rpg is a good customization system. Not for looks but class/skills/gear/stat rolling. Sometimes I wanna have high defense and feel invincible, sometimes I wanna be nimble and dodge everything and sometimes I wanna be a glass cannon that spits out crazy damage. It's really great when said game allows for oddball setups that don't fall in any of the classic class categories were grown to be used to. Sadly we don't see much of these lately.