• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

frogben998

Running out of storage on my C:Drive, help!

19 posts in this topic

So I have 2 hard drives, one ssd and one hdd, the HDD one i use to store games and such, and the SSD is used to store other stuff, like the OS, other files, etc.

The SSD is 111 gb, as i'm seeing it on my computer, and it only has about 426 mb left, and i say this because it somehow varies from time to time, the problem is, i don't know what to delete. can anyone help??

you can do a drive cleanup.

go to "my computer" >  right click on C:\  > click on disk cleanup > mark all points and press cleanup (after its done restart).

also delete (if you have a nvidia card) temporary driver installation files.

c:\nvidia (delete the whole displaydriver folder - you dont need it).

maybe u have also other temp files on c stored from recording software or anything like this?

with the tool windirstat you can also look what folders/files  take the most space on your drive.

https://windirstat.info/download.html

Puntosmx likes this

You could just uninstall stuff you arent playing.

You could just uninstall stuff you arent playing.

all the stuff i'm playing is set to a separate hard drive

you can do a drive cleanup.

go to "my computer" >  right click on C:\  > click on disk cleanup > mark all points and press cleanup (after its done restart).

also delete (if you have a nvidia card) temporary driver installation files.

c:\nvidia (delete the whole displaydriver folder - you dont need it).

maybe u have also other temp files on c stored from recording software or anything like this?

with the tool windirstat you can also look what folders/files  take the most space on your drive.

https://windirstat.info/download.html

thanks, while using this, 2 files came up, what is pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys? Can i delete them?

Maybe you can backup your files and do a clean os install? I know its not the same thing and is pretty extreme but it did help me through situation where I do not know what to delete. Backing up your files and reinstalling your os forces you to prioritize the files you need and the ones you don't need.

thanks, while using this, 2 files came up, what is pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys? Can i delete them?

dont touch system files or files inside the windows folder

pagefile and hiberfil is operating system relevant

only operate inside 

C:\programs

C:\programs 86

C:\user

anything else is taboo

frogben998 likes this

Disk Cleanup as mentioned before will do a good job on that, I am not sure if SSD's need defragmentation but if they do trying that as well could not hurt.

Oh lawrd, oh lawrd....defrag a SSD. /faints

For starters I would recommend just getting a bigger SSD; 1TB for under $400! (just a couple years ago they were over $1k and required a PCIe slot).

NEVER, ever Defrag a SSD. Use TRIM / Optimize (Both are supported by Windows 8 or the SSD's manufacturer-supplied software)

DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING. ALWAYS use the Add or Remove Programs function.

If you have Windows 7 (possibly Vista) or later right click on the "My's" (Document, Pictures, Music, Videos, and Downloads) and click the 'Location' tab, from there move them BUT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FOLDER READY TO MOVE THEM TO, or else the contents of each will just be dumped on the root of the drive you're moving to.

Leave the Page File (pagefile.sys) on the C drive (or OS drive) and if you don't use Hibernation you can disable it and have Windows remove the hiberfil.sys file

((http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-dojo/delete-hiberfilsys-by-disabling-windows-hibernate-function/))

Do Not delete any of the Windows Update, Error Reports, Log Files, files found by Disk Cleanup. Seriously, you're just making for a big ass headache should something go wrong down the road.

If you run CCleaner do not run the Clean Reg. Any software that claims it'll speed up the system by "defragmenting" or "cleaning" the Registry is just pushing 'snake oil' bullshit. There are no legitimate benchmarks that prove or even suggest that running a Registry Cleaner does anything.

Also, untick the checkboxes for clearing passwords and cookies if you don't want the frustration of needing to sign into every website after running CCleaner.

And, as always, run CCleaner's 'analyze' first and actually look at what's being deleted, because CCleaner will not move the files to the Recycle Bin. So once it runs that's it..the files it found are gone.

The space available on the system drive can vary depending on the size-limit for System Restore. Windows creates automatic Restore Points for a number of procedures (like updates), and Restore points can take up a large amount of space (15-45 GB or more). 

To access the Restore Point settings (Windows 7 x64), go to Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > System Protection (tab) > Configure (button). A window will open that allows you to change the way System Restore functions. Leave the top section (Restore Settings) alone; the lower section (Disk Space Usage) is the one you want. Use the slider to set the hard-drive space allotment. If your computer has been running well, you can also delete all previous restore points (be sure to go back to the System Protection tab and create a new one immediately, so you have at least one restore point available).

The Hibernation file does not change in size. If you do not use Hibernation, disable the feature in your Windows system settings, and the file should disappear (freeing up some hard drive space).

The Page File is required to run a variety of programs on your computer, and does not fluctuate in size, though frequently only a part of it is utilized. While it is not recommended to turn the Page File off, its size can be reduced if you have plenty of system ram (and ironically, the more system ram you have, the larger the page file, since Windows by default matches the size of the page file to the amount of ram available). 

quickly ran thew the prior post all of them have good advice hears a little list of ways to keep incontrol of storig space

1: be mindfull of what your instaling/saving to your disc (thow thars a lot of space its still finite)

2: run disk cleanup/defrags over week to moth(only run defrag on HDD its pointless to try in a SSD as how they store data is fundamentaly difrent then HDD and as a result dont suffer fragmentation)

3: rutenly go threw and uninstail/delet files you are not using (if i havent opened a game in 3 months I pull it out)

4: seporate data (I have a disck for my os and basic programs and another one for games and persanel files this methoud requiers you to activly change the defult instail locantion of every game to instail but thats easy enough to do if you just keep a eye out during the instail prosses)

illutian likes this

Personally, I have a 128GB SSD (which will show as 111GB on your puter) and a 1TB HDD.

Top tips I can give...

On HDD set up the following folders

Program files

Program files (x86)

Data

--- Documents

--- Downloads

--- Pics....... etc

Then, windows (or prefered OS) takes the SSD

Any games you are currently playing (bearing in mind that these can be huge, especially MMO's are pretty big) take the SSD

set all of you documents, downloads, pictures, etc to go to the relevant folders on the HDD

When you install anything, chose... "Do I need this to have uber fast access time?"  and if that is "no" (which will be for most things) and it asks where to save it, save it to the HDD "Program files" or "Program files (x86)" folders.

If you are running win 8.0 onwards, it is worth "Considering" performing a "Refresh"  Please be careful with this.... You will need to have a disk or partition to do this on a retail machine or DVD of the installer.... It restores ALL programs, so gets rid of prety much everything.... On the upside, it will give you links to download all of the programs again (and decide where you want to put them).... Down side is.... You have to prove that you have access to the programs or have the original software (no P2P or dodgy downloads from your mates unless you know how to get them back in there).

CC CLEANER AND DELETE SYSTEM RESTORE FILES

CC CLEANER AND DELETE SYSTEM RESTORE FILES

Only if you're making daily backups.

...which you all should be doing.

It's worth bearing in mind that windows 81 uses 10% of the drive for system restore points, far too much if you ask me.
If you're keeping all the files you wouldn't want to lose in cloud storage, you can use that extra 10% far more usefully than data redundancy.

I disabled system restore points completely, as I've never had a reason to use them.
Also, if something goes very wrong, I use it as an opportunity to do a complete fresh install. Gaah the performance.

Puntosmx likes this

Uninstall some Steam games that u didn't play and it's not going to be removed on your Library.

I have a 111GB SSD C drive too.. I still have 25 gigs left on mine though. I've had it for a few years too, not sure how old yours is.

In any case, I think the likely cluprit is you have some program files installed on your C:... I imagine you're like me where you always select your HD instead of your SSD but sometimes those dang programs insist on the c-drive. Make sure that's not the case. I think your 'my documents' folder and such also tends to be located via the C: drive... so clean that out if you have any uncompressed videos or wave files that you got while ripping something or whatever. Finally, if you were ever experimenting with various internet browsers before settling with one... sometimes they automatically download onto your C-drive somewhere without asking you, so if you still have those browers installed and unused, and you don't know where they store downloads, boot em up, download something minor, trace the file, and make sure its directory is cleared out.

There are of course the answers listed above, but If you have a stray uncompressed video or audio file sitting in your documents or something, that will be a quick and easy solution.