• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

24 posts in this topic

Look, I'm only a 19 year old gamer who is just about to finish High School and head to College afterwords. Being a cynical prick to every game announcement, is not something I want to be as I age with this industry.

Star Wars: Battlefront is one such game I can't get excited about because of it. Sure the fact that DICE (Battlefield) is developing gives it a lot of potential to be great; DICE and EA's track record over these last couple of years deflates any type of hype I had for the title. I just can't shake the fact that Battlefront is just going to be both a BF4 re-skin and a DLC cash cow. I don't want to believe any of it, but I just can't; and when you count the fact that it will have NO Space Battles, No Clone Wars Era, and only 4 planets on launch, makes the entire thing sound more like DICE trying to make a movie tie-in instead of a normal Battlefront game. We haven't seen any gameplay yet and there is already a Digital Deluxe pre-order available? Seriously EA, fuck off with that shit...

This also affects my anticipation for both Rainbow 6: Siege and The Division. The concepts for both these games are fantastic and have a huge amount of potential. However, just like with DICE and EA, Ubisoft's track record completely destroys my hype for it. Everything from Assassin's Creed Unity's broken launch to the Watch Dogs fiasco just lead to Ubisoft dropping the ball again with both titles.

I seriously don't want to feel like this with any of these games. I should be hyped up about every announcement for each of these games, but with this routine the gaming industry has been following, I just can't get excited anymore.

Ixnatifual likes this

I can't blame you for not being exited, as you said before, the fact that SW Battlefront 3 is not gonna have space battle, a clone wars era and only has 4 planets makes me feel EA just wants cash-in on Battlefront and kill-off  DICE. 

It's not your fault. 2014 has had a lot of people loose trust in the gaming industry. The start of this year has been 50/50 or atleast so and so. So far. I'm 20 something (vagueness right :P) and I have a very cynical view on everything I see. 3-4 years back is when every E3 I see, including this upcoming one, I have a cup of salt ready. It's not your fault or mine. The industry is bringing it on themselves. Honestly it might be a bit of a good thing because you may overhype a game for yourself and it will fall flat for your expectations and ruin the experience a little bit.

I used to get excited, then I became cynical, now I have so many games from sales and bundles that it doesn't really matter to me if games turn out good or bad. If something is good I just have another game to add to the many I need to play and if it's bad I probably found multiple other good games to take its place.

AverageSpacePope and Ysnar like this

If something is good I just have another game to add to the many I need to play and if it's bad I probably found multiple other good games to take its place.

This is one of the benefits of having a large gaming industry, if a dev screws up with a game, there will be other devs/companies clamoring to make games and take their place.

Yeah last few years, well 2013/2014 have just annihilated a lot of trust for a lot of gamers. Me included i was pretty hopeful and supportive on forums of games in the past, but my cynicism is pretty much in full bloom right now and has been for a while. I either dont trust or dont believe what most devs or publishers say anymore, its mostly a case or reading between the lines and hoping whats promised will happen.

Ive said in the past but its still true i follow ppl like Joe and TB now and have done since around the Rome 2 fiasco as they`ve been pretty honest and enlightening on companies and products, and so have there fan bases, like you guys, all have good opinions facts or views on stuff (even if they collide every now and then).

Trust your cynical nature it`ll serve you well as you get older.

aust202 likes this

When i bought Gothic 3 on launch i've lost pretty much all the trust i had in devs.

Looks like we're not the only cynical gamers:

"The data also revealed that the UK is the No.1 territory across Europe for pre-orders (23 per cent of gamers say they pre-ordered a title in the last year), but it is also seeing the sharpest decline."

"Declines in pre-orders are occurring across Europe, the survey showed. For UK, France, Germany and Spain combined, 12 per cent of gamers (10.3m) have either stopped or reduced the number of titles they have pre-ordered."

https://archive.is/Uh6mI

And an accompanying opinion piece:

"Over the past 12 months, there have been several examples of games that just didn’t live up to their expectations; games that launched full of bugs, and online games that couldn’t actually connect online.  We can recall at least four games released in October that had their prices cleaved in half less than a month later."

"Day one customers are almost treated as testers these days, used to iron out the bugs – except they have to pay over the odds for the privilege."

The author then asks the ultimate question: "Is this really worth that extra piece of DLC or that shiny limited edition case?"

He then concludes: "In other words, gamers are not excited enough to pre-order."

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/opinion-pre-order-why-bother/0148451

This was also Jim's video of the week

Another example of why cynicism is present among gamers... results in opinions like this:

Another example of why cynicism is present among gamers... results in opinions like this:

ugh, that guy...

Legolas_Katarn likes this

I don't think it is being cynical as much as realizing that the game industry is full of lies and deceit. EA is already on shaky ground on alot of peoples books and I myself have actually adopted a no preorders policy on most games the only real acceptation recently has been gta 5 for pc. But yeah R6 Seige looks like a wanna be Counter Strike and seems like it is not even a R6 game from what has been shown. 

Also, 8chan has a similar level of cynicism, if not worse:

hKMNIiN.png

If most consumers have an attitude like this about the gaming industry (combined with what's happening with steam mods, kickstarter well being poisoned, early access debacles with devs running with the money, broken promises/releases, DLC/DRM issues)... there are fears that the gaming crash is not in the indeterminate future, its imminent.

Looks like we're not the only cynical gamers:

"The data also revealed that the UK is the No.1 territory across Europe for pre-orders (23 per cent of gamers say they pre-ordered a title in the last year), but it is also seeing the sharpest decline."

"Declines in pre-orders are occurring across Europe, the survey showed. For UK, France, Germany and Spain combined, 12 per cent of gamers (10.3m) have either stopped or reduced the number of titles they have pre-ordered."

https://archive.is/Uh6mI

And an accompanying opinion piece:

"Over the past 12 months, there have been several examples of games that just didn’t live up to their expectations; games that launched full of bugs, and online games that couldn’t actually connect online.  We can recall at least four games released in October that had their prices cleaved in half less than a month later."

"Day one customers are almost treated as testers these days, used to iron out the bugs – except they have to pay over the odds for the privilege."

The author then asks the ultimate question: "Is this really worth that extra piece of DLC or that shiny limited edition case?"

He then concludes: "In other words, gamers are not excited enough to pre-order."

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/opinion-pre-order-why-bother/0148451

For me, 2014 was the worst year for gaming. I disliked almost every game that came out. I think I bought around 4 or 5 triple A games that entire year, all at discount price. Compared to 2010, were I bought around 15 triple A games (at least 8 being at full price), I'm definitely one of those gamers that stopped pre-ordering.

Recently, I personally decided to stop getting too excited for games. I'll still allow myself to get somewhat excited when watching gameplay trailers, but I'm no longer going to get super hyped. Simply put, I'm no longer letting myself get annoyed every time a game doesn't meet my expectations.

aust202 and Ysnar like this

For me, 2014 was the worst year for gaming. I disliked almost every game that came out. I think I bought around 4 or 5 triple A games that entire year, all at discount price. Compared to 2010, were I bought around 15 triple A games (at least 8 being at full price), I'm definitely one of those gamers that stopped pre-ordering.

Recently, I personally decided to stop getting too excited for games. I'll still allow myself to get somewhat excited when watching gameplay trailers, but I'm no longer going to get super hyped. Simply put, I'm no longer letting myself get annoyed every time a game doesn't meet my expectations.

2014 was definitely a black hole for gaming... it was mired with bad games, PR debacles and controversy.  The consequences are still visible to this day and imo, I feel that 2015 will be an extension fo 2014's problems, because now, gamers of all kinds are feeling the effects of bad/anti-consumer practices, hardcore/casuals, console/PC and PS/Xbox/Nintendo are all affected.

As a regular visitor of the PCMR subreddit, I can say that the tone is slightly changing... it used to be about praising gaben, showing off great builds and memes about consoles and peasantry.  But since the paid mod controversy/modgate, PCMR has become more vigilant and their complaints are mirroring those they used to mock/feature in memes:

iCey1Cv.png

This pretty much sums up the situation for PC and console gamers alike:

esRzHmk.jpg

Thanks Ysnar. That last picture really made me laugh  :lol:.

Ysnar likes this

Thanks Ysnar. That last picture really made me laugh  :lol:.

Its funny, but true, thanks to all the things that happened in 2014... I'm just happy to be a gamer.  It just so happens that I play games on PC a lot.

This really made my day though... the PCMR subreddit was ironically visited by r/atheism due to the collective rejection of their former diety gaben

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/341zuy/pc_master_race_hello_from_ratheism/

:-/

PCMR have learnt their lesson... while they used to mock console gamers for being fanboys/worshippers of their favored console, they were unwitting gaben fanboys... until now.  The take-home message for the PCMR after this debacle is:nBVdOIn.jpg

Which is pretty much what most gamers are concluding at the moment. No more fanboy-ism/loyalty, we get nothing out of it... so we owe the companies nothing... if they have a good product, then it will sell well, if not, then they lose, not us.

They're becoming more vigilant as well:

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/343arv/psa_we_havent_won_yet/

Boogie nails the cause of cynicism really well:

I can't blame you for not being exited, as you said before, the fact that SW Battlefront 3 is not gonna have space battle, a clone wars era and only has 4 planets makes me feel EA just wants cash-in on Battlefront and kill-off  DICE. 

I don't think they wanna kill-off DICE. Battlefield alone brings them too much income. We're all hating on SW: Battlefront but we should admit one thing. We're all gonna buy it. They know exactly how to get us. I remember that, when the game got teased, they told us something about ground-to-orbit-battle or something like that. So basically from ground to space. That would've been awesome.

I haven't preordered a game in years. I pre ordered rome 2 and was stung so bad by it that it mad me cry....

Even before that I can't remember a game that I preordered. Now I wait at least 3 or 4 weeks and the inevitable 2 or 3 patches will will be needed before I buy. 

I'm happy enough to pick up games cheap from humble bundle and steam sales from time to time. Plenty to keep me busy. 

I haven't preordered a game in years. I pre ordered rome 2 and was stung so bad by it that it mad me cry....

Well time for you to pre-order then. Don't be a selfish gamer!!! YOU ARE ALL SO GREEDY!!!

You're just being patient.  What's wrong with that?  ^_^

In the end you will not only save money but really enjoy the games that you do find worthwhile.  A lesson I wished I learned when I was 19.

sooo many years ago