• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

nickyzhere

Valve pulls Skyrim Payment

63 posts in this topic

So I just got this in my inbox: https://www.change.org/p/valve-remove-the-paid-content-of-the-steam-workshop/u/10645665! Hell yeah! The power of the people working together is an awesome thing!

Edit: Official announcement from Valve: http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365253244218 

Valve is pretty much straight up saying that they messed up and that they will give refunds to everyone that purchased mods.

tehbroots and AlShareef114 like this

YAY!!!!! I can use steam workshop again!!!! I have no problem with giving people the option to donate to modders for their work but forcing people to pay for a mod that is based on the work of a game developer isn't right. 

It's unfortunate that Steam didn't even try to implement this system well, good they removed it now before it created an unchecked mess like their early access and greenlight systems.

Let's get back to PC Gaming!

We're going to remove the payment feature from the Skyrim workshop. For anyone who spent money on a mod, we'll be refunding you the complete amount. We talked to the team at Bethesda and they agree. 

We've done this because it's clear we didn't understand exactly what we were doing. We've been shipping many features over the years aimed at allowing community creators to receive a share of the rewards, and in the past, they've been received well. It's obvious now that this case is different. 

To help you understand why we thought this was a good idea, our main goals were to allow mod makers the opportunity to work on their mods full time if they wanted to, and to encourage developers to provide better support to their mod communities. We thought this would result in better mods for everyone, both free & paid. We wanted more great mods becoming great products, like Dota, Counter-strike, DayZ, and Killing Floor, and we wanted that to happen organically for any mod maker who wanted to take a shot at it. 

But we underestimated the differences between our previously successful revenue sharing models, and the addition of paid mods to Skyrim's workshop. We understand our own game's communities pretty well, but stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating. We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here. 

Now that you've backed a dump truck of feedback onto our inboxes, we'll be chewing through that, but if you have any further thoughts let us know.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365253244218

Alden is a Valve Employee 

DemonsColt and tehbroots like this

I approve of this.

Damion I merged Nick's thread with yours, didn't think it would knock the first post of the thread I wanted the other merged into down.

I like everyone else do think people should be paid for the work they perform, with that said some prices were simply outrageous for certain mods. I do think that it could have been implemented better, a pity that Valve didn't think it through.

That's the end of that then. Unless they're doing this to bring a more refined version later.

Kinda like testing the waters, right? I could see that.

Personally, I think this has the potential of being something great for the gaming community on the whole. However, it was poorly executed. I like the prospect of there being MORE open opportunities for anyone and everyone with the drive and skill to make a career for themselves related to gaming. The kind of stuff Joe does is one such example of that. Then you have the Indie Games as another option. Modding I could see easily becoming another one such career path for people, or for those who want some extra income doing what they love to break up the monotony of their jobs.

Most of the time, the industry seems so impossible to break into to get in on it. These kinds of non-corporate type of options, however, offer that kind of chance that is seen as a godsend by many.

I'm all for this. But it needs to be refined and the community needs to have more involvement in how this system is implemented. A company can't just up and decide to do this on their own without first getting testing and feedback from the customers who would be using/most effected by it.

I like everyone else do think people should be paid for the work they perform, with that said some prices were simply outrageous for certain mods. I do think that it could have been implemented better, a pity that Valve didn't think it through.

Yeah, it was never going to start well when you combine the entitlement of the average gamer in not wanting to pay people for their work with Steams terrible implementation of new systems like this and poor descriptions of how everything will work.

This is what happens people vote with their wallets, when companies don't get money and get bad press, that's when they do what the people want.

woah...I didn't think they would yield so quickly, I'm guessing practically nobody was purchasing the mods.

Honestly, this makes me unhappy. I like the thought of encouraging people who create quality content to get paid for such work. I feel like it was not implemented properly, and that was the problem. With better policing of content (which, let's be real, Valve doesn't want to do any actual fucking work. That'd be ludicrous) and a better cut to the creators themselves, this would have been a great system. I'm sad to see this so quickly removed rather than cleaned up.

This is great news!  They have averted a PR disaster from panning out.  Good job Valve.

But, this should serve a lesson to all of us (hardcore/casual, console AND PC gamers), not to give so much trust to one platform, developer or publisher, as they can permanently turn to the dark side... even our lord and savior gaben.  Remember, a company isn't out to get your approval and love, they're out to get your money.

I dunno. I don't like this at all. I was happy to hear about the system when it first went up, until I saw what a mess it was. With a better approval process and actual support from Valve (rather then a "hey, here's a thing, you kiddos have fun and don't you dare ask for our help"), and giving creators more than a measly 25% of the profits (and only after earning $100, meaning you have to make sales of $400 before you see a cent) and  this could have the best thing to be added to Steam since... Steam.

Malphisto likes this

Bethesda blog post explaining why they think selling mods is a good idea, with the update today:

http://www.bethblog.com/2015/04/27/why-were-trying-paid-skyrim-mods-on-steam/

I dunno. I don't like this at all. I was happy to hear about the system when it first went up, until I saw what a mess it was. With a better approval process and actual support from Valve (rather then a "hey, here's a thing, you kiddos have fun and don't you dare ask for our help"), and giving creators more than a measly 25% of the profits (and only after earning $100, meaning you have to make sales of $400 before you see a cent) and  this could have the best thing to be added to Steam since... Steam.

What are your thoughts on a voluntary donation system? Instead of forcing everyone to pay up just to have the chance of trying a mod?

Bethesda blog post explaining why they think selling mods is a good idea, with the update today:

http://www.bethblog.com/2015/04/27/why-were-trying-paid-skyrim-mods-on-steam/

What are your thoughts on a voluntary donation system? Instead of forcing everyone to pay up just to have the chance of trying a mod?

I'd like to see at least that much. And maybe a special consideration for the larger overhaul projects. I dunno, I would just like to see the people creating this content to see something in return. (I'm not pretending I'm a marketing/financial genius. lol) I'm just sad to see it go away without even so much as a supported donation towards the creator or something like that.

I would have liked to have seen some actual intellect and organizational skills being used. You know, something that demonstrates that the people at Valve have the actual critical thinking required to take an idea and making it take tangible form.

Example.

Standardization for Mod Quality. Each Mod should fit into a category. Weapons, Armor or just anything relating to cosmetic appearance would be given an actual classification as "Skins" while actual new equipment would be tagged as "Items." (Terms are just for the purpose of the example, not saying that should be the literal words used, of course) Simpler mods would be free, there for the sole purpose of modders showcasing their work and allowing anyone to download and enjoy free of charge. Meanwhile, the much LARGER type of mods that offer up actual story or new areas, even houses for example (just because I've seen some real good ones out there) would in fact be monetized for players to purchase. Also, 100% of the profits earned from the mods SHOULD go to the content creators, not anyone else. If Steam or whoever MUST cash in on this, it should be a serious reverse in mentality where the modder gets like, say, 80% of the profits and 20% goes to whoever as their "cut of the pie" so to speak.

The price for mods could be up for debate, but ultimately I think it should be decided by the content's creator. The price should also, in that sense, be capable of being adjusted by them as well. A well known, respected modder putting out high quality downloads that are being monetized should be able to set a fair price and not expect people giving them grief over it. But in the event said paid mod is getting bad reviews or just isn't that well received by people, they can go in and change the price and set it lower. Likewise, Steam would honor a full refund policy for paid mods if customers are unhappy with them. Likewise, in addition to this Steam would offer Mod Support for game updates. Or, perhaps another way to take it is if you already paid for a mod, you are "entitled" to have FREE patches by the modder to ensure their content remains functional. This would be part of the modder's ToS agreement for submitting monetized mods. (Again, I never used mods so I don't know who would be more responsible with ensuring things continue working on that end, the game devs or the modders themselves)

Donations would be common sense to have from the get go, why they aren't on there now is beyond me. People should always have the option to support artists that they enjoy, which I would actually define modding as a form of artwork in and of itself.

If modders want to make the big content downloads free as well, that COULD be an option included...but I don't think it should just because you run the risk of people throwing their arms up and hating on the modders that DO want to try making something more out of their talents than just a mere hobby. Not all of them are going to magically get approached by a big name company with a job offer, that's like absolute best case scenario which is damn near in the realm of a miracle happening.

But yeah, and all that I seriously just came up with on the spot in like, what...10 minutes? The guys sitting over at Valve getting the nice paychecks couldn't devise these ideas on their own?

Jayson's Rage likes this

Very well said. Too bad Valve doesn't actually care about HOW they make money. Just that they do.

11071924_1046051498757139_69131468535407

Ysnar likes this

NOOOO!!! Curse you players!!! We would have made so much profit with this. Now we at Corporate have to ruin Star Wars: Battlefront even more!!! MUHAHAHAHA!!!

Do NOT go back to the way you were with Bethesda, Steam and Gaben, they have shattered our trust and it will take some time to recover from this disaster. This includes any of you who may have put up a negative review of Skyrim during the weekend considering changing it back to positive, don't. Remain strong, remain cynical and vigilant as the paid mods debacle is not gone from Steam completely, it still infests TF2 and CS:GO like a festering wound.

We must continue to voice our concerns on the games we love for which this system might be implemented in the future (IE Space Engineers supports this crap) so we can continue to push back anti-consumer business decisions.

Also, opinion poll here, from /r/pcmasterrace/ on the entire debacle.

Ysnar likes this

Do NOT go back to the way you were with Bethesda, Steam and Gaben, they have shattered our trust and it will take some time to recover from this disaster. This includes any of you who may have put up a negative review of Skyrim during the weekend considering changing it back to positive, don't. Remain strong, remain cynical and vigilant as the paid mods debacle is not gone from Steam completely, it still infests TF2  and CS:GO like a festering wound.

We must continue to voice our concerns on the games we love for which this system might be implemented in the future (IE Space Engineers supports this crap) so we can continue to push back anti-consumer business decisions.

A good bunch of PCMR subreddit users agree with you:

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/343arv/psa_we_havent_won_yet/

Boogie on the subject:

This includes any of you who may have put up a negative review of Skyrim during the weekend considering changing it back to positive, don't.

Wait. Negative reviews on Skyrim? Like the main vanilla game? Why should you start giving a negative review on the main vanilla game because of mods? That's one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. The main game is still fine and your problem with paying for mods is solved.

Laserrifle125 likes this