• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

nickyzhere

Valve pulls Skyrim Payment

63 posts in this topic

Because it was, and still is, a very unfamiliar landscape. The steam workshop had a great opportunity to represent the people who do create mods properly and to show that it truly is work that is put in. Whether it is a hobby or not, that doesn't change how much stress and time it can take. I have a friend who, as a hobby, knits and crochets. She then goes on to sell the product of her hard work. How is that SO much different? 

No but both sides of the equation (Valve and the gamers) let modders get caught in the crossfire. The people who put their time and work and love into creating this content for a very unappreciative group of people.

EDIT: And I was specifically talking about the modders themselves being the target of threats

Unfamiliar landscape? In what way? Mods have been around since the 80's, from Castle Wolfenstein and Doom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_%28video_gaming%29

https://mediaindustries1.wordpress.com/modmoddermodding/history-of-modding/

Quote from the above link:

Apogee (which published id’s first games), Miller and his “Wolf3D” developers watched astounded as mods “actually helped extend the life of a game by providing free additional content for players to explore.”… “So by the time ‘Doom’ rolled around,” id co-founder Tom Hall says, “we really wanted to enable the user to make their own content, to make that easy as possible. [John] Carmack’s always had the Berkeley-like ‘Information should be free’ mantra.”

And for the record, we did not let modders get 'caught in the crossfire'.  It was valve that came up with this system, they caught the flak and they were the ones that removed the paid mods.

An article on The Escapist, where the writer concludes that paid mods was not a good idea:

https://archive.is/XCZSF

Lets take into consideration that the 80s didn't exactly require a whole lot in terms of modding. Now lets take a look at some of the mods we're seeing today:

There are a crap load of youtube videos that show off such mods, but I chose this one in particular because of that wicked awesome house mod. Like I said, its mind blowing to me. I cannot, in any conceivable way, understand how this is all supposedly free. You said mods are a hobby, not a job, because "if it was, then it would be an indie game, expansion pack or DLC." But a LOT of these could EASILY pass as DLC, though.

What is DLC for a game than mods? There is no real difference, honestly, outside of the content quality and game support. But when these mods are equal to or surpassing the quality of the vanilla game's content, its damn near a crime that the people making them can't sell or market their product.

Likewise, just because something is a hobby doesn't mean it can't become a job. Job is something you do for a living. Hobby is something you do on the side. The point here is allowing the opportunity for modding to BECOME a job for talented people to support themselves with. If the modder is getting 100% of the profit? And they sell their mod for, hell...lets say 1$... A pittance, really. That is until 500,000+ people get it, in which case you just MADE $500,000. THAT IS CRAZY AWESOME! That is "fuck your day job" material, stay home with the wife and kids and enjoy financial security. That is more people getting into modding as a career and eventually leading to even more great opportunities in the future. That is the EVOLUTION OF GAMING. Who benefits from this? Everyone. It creates more jobs in a wrecked economy where hundreds of thousands are struggling to find work, who are injured and can't work, who are running themselves ragged working multiple shit jobs just to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table.

Its not for everyone, obviously. But it DOES grant that opportunity. And with more people being drawn to it, the quality of mods goes up. People would want their mods to be purchased, they would want to create the "next best thing" and that means eventually going hand in hand with Indie Games. Talented modders either becoming Indie Developers or working with them to create better, high polished content. Hell, they might even go from being modders and just assume the title of "Game Designer" depending on how far they take their learning and skills. Which in turn creates MORE competition for the corporations and forces them to actually give a damn about the games they are putting out there Day 1.

Also, did anyone ever consider that the reason Mods are free is because for anyone who tried selling their work, they were either ignored or damned by the gaming community? Food for thought.

Was Steam wrong? Yes.

Are Paid Mods wrong? No.

Jayson's Rage likes this

I'm guessing practically nobody was purchasing the mods.

Makes you wonder how many people bought mods enough for Valve to say that they made $10,000 from it.

Was Steam wrong? Yes.

Are Paid Mods wrong? No.

*mic drop*

Malphisto likes this

I'm really surprised that so many people care about this.

Usually the mods are crap but I understand that if someone puts a lot of time and effort into something he wants to have this effort rewarded.

I don't really think that mods should be free because this is the way it always was. So what?

Maybe if the modders could make a living out of this we would see more quality content.

In the end who cares? How many people out there actually use mods?

I don't really think that mods should be free because this is the way it always was. So what?

This is exactly what's wrong with gamers today. It's why we get so much bullshit DLCs and microtransactions, it's why if we didn't stop this mod price crap we would now be paying for that too.

It's because gamers say, "So what? I will just buy any priced crap a company gives me."

People need to understand that once a company manages to price something and they get people to buy it, they will do it more and more and they will put a price on something else later. People, look at the big picture. Why do you think we get so many bullshit transactions today? It's because we buy it and say "so what."

Why do you think we get games that are only 60% finished and the rest is sold as DLCs? It's because we say "So what?" and buy them.

If people will keep on supporting that, then don't cry later. Today we need to pay for one game 20x over and over because of us, not companies. They give us a shit idea and we buy it and say, "So what?"

Keep on supporting such stuff and soon we will have to pay for a game and Singleplayer and Multiplayer compnents might come as DLCs now too.

How many people out there actually use mods?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3863/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11811/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8655/?

Check out the unique downloads on these. Valve and Bethesda just pissed of a lot of these people enough to say F U.

I remember having fun with a Quake 3 mod that turned it into Dragon Ball Z. According to Steam, I've clocked over 100 hours on Skyrim, that's over a hundred hours just trying to get mods to work properly with each other. Also, some mods fix some issues with the game, like DSfix for Dark Souls, DPfix for Deadly Premonition and that Unofficial Patch for Vampire the Masquerade.

This is exactly what's wrong with gamers today. It's why we get so much bullshit DLCs and microtransactions, it's why if we didn't stop this mod price crap we would now be paying for that too.

It's because gamers say, "So what? I will just buy any priced crap a company gives me."

People need to understand that once a company manages to price something and they get people to buy it, they will do it more and more and they will put a price on something else later. People, look at the big picture. Why do you think we get so many bullshit transactions today? It's because we buy it and say "so what."

Why do you think we get games that are only 60% finished and the rest is sold as DLCs? It's because we say "So what?" and buy them.

If people will keep on supporting that, then don't cry later. Today we need to pay for one game 20x over and over because of us, not companies. They give us a shit idea and we buy it and say, "So what?"

Keep on supporting such stuff and soon we will have to pay for a game and Singleplayer and Multiplayer compnents might come as DLCs now too.

Your basing your entire case on things that corporations have done and are still doing. We already know the companies are greedy and only care about one thing. But that and THIS are two totally different things. You are essentially pitching a defense for something that has no involvement with this subject.

Answer this question: "Are you against modders selling their product for 100% of the profit?"

Ysnar likes this

In the end who cares? How many people out there actually use mods?

That kind of thinking, as the people above said, is one of the reasons that lead the gaming industry to his point, with oversaturation of DLC, monetization of everything, bullshots etc:

iCey1Cv.png

Other reasons include fanboi-ism and infighting between gamers i.e. pc vs console, ps vs xbox vs nintendo, hardcore vs casual etc.  Which kept some of us occupied while companies did this stuff.

Edit: to clarify, I agree with the idea that modders should have the right to sell their mods, but that doesn't mean all modders have to put a price on it if they don't want to, like its been said more times than I can count, they could put the option for downloaders to donate, or ask for nothing in return.

Answer this question: "Are you against modders selling their product for 100% of the profit?"

Actually, this wouldn't be a bad idea but there is more to it:

-Quality of the mod

-Price of the mod

But I personally wouldn't be pissed because if modders got 100% profit, that would be great support for them but 25% is just nah.

And my whole point above was, once a company puts an idea to earn off money and it succeeds, they will keep on milking more and more.

Ysnar likes this

the corporate greed cant stop the voices of the people from being herd together the people can make a difference 

Ysnar likes this