• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Oxyorum

Do you even read, bro?

62 posts in this topic

I just wanted to get a consensus of those of us who enjoy reading in addition to gaming it up all day. There has to be at least one of you in the crowd? Probably not, but it doesnt hurt to try.

EDIT: Maaan, that was a long breakfast. Lol.

Genres:

- Sci-fi

- Action

- Mystery

- Mythology/Fantasy

Books:

- Harry Potter series (Who hasn't?)

- Percy Jackson Series

- Heroes of Olympus Series

- Warrior Heir series (Really recommend this one.)

- Hunger Games (haven't gotten to the rest of the series, yet.)

- Seven Realms Series, first book (Forget the name.)

I'm sure I forgot some, but its a good amount of what I've read.

Do you read? What are your favorite genres and books? Discuss.

sci-fi/Horror novels based on Video games.

- S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

- Doom

- Hellgate London

- Darksiders

- Halo

- Metro 2033/2034/Universe

Maybe ill start with Warhammer 40k later.

I adore classics from the 19th century.

Favourite genre would definitely be fantasy, with the Lord of the Rings taking top spot. But I also like Jerome K. Jerome's works. Dude is funny as heck, and even after 150 years the comedy still applies to the 21st century world.

I also like non-fiction a lot, particularly anything that has to do with military or geography. More knowledge is always better :)

Percy The Catfish likes this

I've been getting back into reading since I decided on becoming a novelist.  Before I just collected any I could find from my favorite authors.

Currently reading A Game of Thrones.

I wish I did read.

If I did, I would read Malazan Book of the Fallen.

I don't have a favourite genre but i really love some writers, in particular Poe, Hemingway, Lovecraft and London. Among the non-americans i like Conrad, Boccaccio, Ariosto, Pasolini and Rimbaud. I've still got to make up my mind on more recent writers though.

fantasy, scifi, horror... although my favourite books are different (On the Road, East of Eden, Naked Lunch, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas...) Currently im reading A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire). and im a huge fan of RA Salvatore.

I just began reading some Starcraft books! I am done with the dark Templar collection, i´ll tackle Liberty´s Crusade next.

I read mainly fantasy novels. I love the Temeraire series, and the dragonriders of pern. I also found the requiem series very interesting

I have never stood in line or gone to a midnight sale for a game. I have been to a midnight release for a book. Love reading.

Books -Harry Potter books

Eragon books

Star Trek books

The Last Dragon

DC & Marval books and the list goes on

i enjoy reading i feel its a much more relaxed way to get into a story and it can give details that no other media can and is the best way of describing a scene or event.

i usually try to read at least once a day,

the series that i read are:

-Halo 

-Harry Potter (although its been a while)

-Warhammer 40k

-War z

-Stephen king

etc

I'm reading a wide spectre of genres, ranging from Aristoteles, to Eragon, to Sun Tzu, to Bill Bryson to Osho. At least, as of now. I thoroughly enjoy reading  ^_^

I love medieval like fantasy books. "The Broken Empire" trilogy ("Prince of Thorns", "King of Thorn", "Emperor of Thorns")  is briliant so far and has one of my favorite characters so far, Honourous Jorg Ancrath, a twisted, brutal, and briliant little fuck. I like "The Kingkiller Chronicles" so far. It tells the story of Kvothe, pronounced Quoth. Thats really all I can tell you about him, he is kind of hard to describe. I have read a couple of Sci-fi novels and some old World War novels. I also read some classic stuff such as "The Republic" by Plato from ancient Greece. I read "The Art of War", "The Epic of Gilgamesh" (excuse me for my mispelling), "The Odyesse" (once again, my spelling) and stuff like that. I'm also planning to write a book series. I have it planned out, I just have to start writing, and that is difficult to do in High School.

I love SciFi! I'm currently reading Speaker for the Dead which I realize is a book most people probably read when they're in middle school but I'm really enjoying it! after I finish this series I'm hoping to start on the Divergent series. I also like select nonfiction books with some of my favorites being The Last Lecture and Outliers. 

Sbarro likes this

I've read the Amory Wars books and David Cross' book. but other than that I DONT READ jeez what do you expect...

Reading is fun. I'm reading Helsreach again at the moment. It's a Warhammer40k Space Marine novel about the Black Templar chapter.

Mostly I enjoy fantasy more.

On a side note, does anyone agree that the Eragon series ended poorly? I keep feeling that way, but I can never put it into words.

I never have time to read a full book apart from Derran Brown's book which I am enjoying a lot. I tend to read blogs and articles from my Taptu app on my phone.

Yep, I love reading.

Gernerally I read dark fantasy, sci-fi, or epic fantasy stuff for fun. Or anything that is good really, I'm not to picky when it comes to genres.

Has anyone read Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson?

My reading taste is shall we say... Eclectic. I have enjoyed everything from The Great Gatsby  to Atlas Shrugged, and then I can go all they way to Bioshock: Rapture. My least favorite thing I have ever read was a Sonic fan fiction that some one got me to read on a bet... There are some things a blue hedgehog should never do, and some things that disguise themselves as writing but really are instruments of hell *shudder.* 

I really enjoy a good fiction novel (sci-fi or whatever) and if I actually find a book like that I can devour thousands of pages in a day (I read the entire deathly hollows back when it came out in 2 days I think, and that was with school in the way >>)

Recently though I just can't seem to find any books that really interest and capture my attention, which is sort of sad.

Fantasy:

Hickman (Dragonlance, now whiting for the Shroud of the Avatar book(s?)), Feist (the Serpentwar Saga only so far), Salvatore (most of the Drizzt Do'Urden books, though not the latest few, and his DemonWars saga), Eddings (love the Sparhawk books, liked the Belgarion and the Mallorean series as well as Polgara and Belgarath books, was kind of disappointed with with Dreamers series, especially the end of it)...

Sci-fi:

Dan Abnett, Graham McNeill, Sandy Mitchell,....(lots of 40k books as well as the Horus Heresy series that I have been slowly digesting), John Hemry (the Lost Fleet and Beyond the Frontier),...

Comics:

Quite honestly I think it would be quite a list, but it goes from Star Wars to Commando (Korkeajännitys in these parts) to innumerable manga series. And that's just scratching the surface.

Miscellaneous:

Sun Tsu, Machiavelli,...

There's also a few books on specific subjects like the Samurai and war history that I've read as well. This is just the stuff from the top of my head, so I'm most likely forgetting something.

I most like horror or thrillers. I am a big fan of Edgar Allan Poe and Stephen King.