• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

NativeShnit

Favorite Retro Fighting Game?

15 posts in this topic

Found an old gem from my childhood recently, "Def Jam:Fight For New York" for the Xbox original. Love this game. Anyway I'm curious to know what your favorite retro/old fighters are. Maybe try mentioning some not-so-popular/ Sleeper hits other than the usual like: Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct.

GhostCurry likes this

I don't like fighting games, and I read this thread because I was silly and thought beatemup when I read it. But that said, I never heard of defjam at one point, but when I was taking computer programming at college, one of the instructors was talking about how he worked on 'def jam', and I was like, wut game is that, never heard of it, sounds dumb... but then he brought over a copy to demonstrate certain things and I actually found it interesting. I don't really remember why though. IIRC it had a rap/hip-hop/criminal culture vibe to it but that does NOT appeal to me, yet the game DID appeal to me otherwise.

I really don't remember, but to me it looked interesting and fun in a way that made it look like some kind of CROSS between traditional fighting games, and super punch out or something... I can't explain. I really don't remember but yeah, I DO remember it actually looked interesting and fun. but I didn't have an xbox then so never tried it.

I'm primarily a fan of the street fighter series, along with the Art of fighting games and the original viruta fighter, however I have a soft spot for the old pc shareware fighters like Xenophage and one must fall 2097.

Edit: and just remembered this is the console section of the forums, so it's a tad silly to mention pc based shareware games ><

NativeShnit likes this

on PS2:

- Def Jam Fight for NY

- Urban Reign

- Tekken 5

- Fist of the north Star

- MK Shaolin Monks

- DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2

- DBZ Budokai 3

- Soul Calibur 3

- EA Fight Night Round 3

On Dreamcast:

- Dead or Alive 2

NativeShnit likes this

Eternal Champions on the Sega Genesis.

Super Smash Bros. 64. I wasted many hours trying to unlock all the secret characters and to play as Master Hand...

NativeShnit likes this

Budokai Tenkaichi 2-3

Naruto: Ultimate Ninja

MK Armageddon 

I GOT TWO WORDS FOR YA!

"SAMURAI SHODOWN"

Heh... Totally surprised no one else has mentioned this one.

Other favorites include:

-Guilty Gear (Series)

-Soul Calibur (Series)

-Street Fighter (Series)

-Mortal Kombat (Series)

-Marvel vs. Capcom

-Tekken Tag Tournament

-Virtual Fighter

-Bloody Roar

-Ehrgeiz

And the legendary..."BATTLE ARENA TOSHINDEN"

And lastly, a shining jewel many have no clue ever existed, sadly... "Destrega"

The original super smash bros on N64, and budokai tenkaichi 3. Put more hours in those than I probably put into skyrim

GhostCurry likes this

i liked primal rage an clayfighter as well as street fighter  killer instinct an of course mortal kombat

Fighter's Destiny

Fighters_destiny_box.JPG

This was a 3D fighter where the player could create their own match rules based on a point system. Points would be earned with ring outs, successful throws (like most things, could be countered), knockdowns (could be done with bringing the opponent to zero heath or an instant, but slow and potentially easy to counter, attack), counter attacts (very well timed specific attacks, hard as shit, but satisfying to pull off) or specials (Big final moves with difficult button combos. Unlike fatalities or ultra combos, some of these could be performed mid match.)

Me and my brothers played the shit out of this and I think it's highly underrated. The roster of fighters wasn't large but it was varied.

A forgotten gem imo.

I'm not much of a fighting game player but I loved playing the two Bushido Blade games for the Playstation, I'd really like to see another game like those made.

I played bushido blade 2 for awhile but not 1. I did like it, and was one of very few 'fighting' games where I could reliably beat the final boss on a non-wuss difficulty setting. I just wish that certain characters weren't obviously designed to use certain weapons. I mean you could select a character and THEN a weapon, but each character kind of had a favored weapon where they could use fancy combos and moves that nobody else could using that weapon, so the choice variety wasn't as large as the game made it seem unless you intentionally gimped yourself... Game was sexist too since the most op projectile in the game was the kid whose projectile worked on girls only which made them go 'EEEK" defenselessly for awhile =P

Hell, I played everything. Def Jam fight for NY, all the Dragon ball fighters, Soul Calibur, Tekken, and Super Smash Bros. I wasnt really a fan of traditional 2D fighters when I was young. Like em now though.