• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

12 posts in this topic

I will start this post by linking a video to Alphaomegasin:

I think his ideas on this topic are totally valid. We are really seeing so many games that are getting a spitritual successor. I think this could be a way that the fans of certian titles can actually get the games they want, not the games the AAA developers tell them they want. I am worried about the state of so many of my favorite franchises. I honestly believe if companies like Konami are going out of the gaming businiess and more into the gambling market, sell of your IP's to a company who will do something with it, or the original developers should just create a spiritual successor like Mighty NO.9 or yooka-laylee.

I've been saying it for a while, I am so tired of these companies sitting on their IP's. Suikoden, Chrono trigger, Legand of Dragoon, just to name a few. We will never see another addition to these titles, and its a damn shame that we will get 50 more COD's and Suikoden will sit in the closet, never to be seen again.

rairoken16, and DestinyDecade like this

I'm looking forward to Yooka-Laylee since I grew up playing Banjoo Kazooie games, probably one of my favorite games although I never managed to beat the second one. :(

This has been something I want to talk about because with most gaming companies becoming more shitty by the way, there has been a rise of talk regarding spiritual successors. Some examples include Mighty No. 9 (spiritual successor of Mega Man), Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie successor) and Bloodstained (Castlevania successor). But I want to ask everyone this simple question... is Kickstarter and the many different games that would soon come out of it lead into a new generation of gaming?

I want to know cause nowadays most companies especially Japanese ones (fuck Konami up their fucking asses) are switching focus from console to mobile gaming. What do you guys think?

Oh and I also want to add that Jim Fucking Sterling Son did a video relating to Kickstarter and some of the many projects. Here it is.

frogben998 likes this

I am in no way against kickstarter. Me and my friend have a lot of back and forth discussions about kickstarter. My friend was involved in a game company while making a game (Here is the game http://store.steampowered.com/app/244410. He worked there over the summer helping code. Not bad for a high schooler i must say) they funded the money themselves in order to make the game happen and he always seems disgusted when he sees Kickstarters with a ton of money on the goal itself. He mentioned BloodStained recently and went off on a rant about its stretch goals. "1.5 million for an extra boss? I would love if the game were to be expanded into something bigger/longer experience with those 1.5 million dollars, not just to add a new fucking boss." 

He in no way is against Kickstarter but he is mad that some developers raise outrageous amounts of money but don't put a lot of that money into the game they are making. (Again he brings 1.5 million dollars because he really doubts that the developer will put all that money into that game.) 

frogben998 and DiaGuy like this

I am in no way against kickstarter. Me and my friend have a lot of back and forth discussions about kickstarter. My friend was involved in a game company while making a game (Here is the game http://store.steampowered.com/app/244410. He worked there over the summer helping code. Not bad for a high schooler i must say) they funded the money themselves in order to make the game happen and he always seems disgusted when he sees Kickstarters with a ton of money on the goal itself. He mentioned BloodStained recently and went off on a rant about its stretch goals. "1.5 million for an extra boss? I would love if the game were to be expanded into something bigger/longer experience with those 1.5 million dollars, not just to add a new fucking boss." 

He in no way is against Kickstarter but he is mad that some developers raise outrageous amounts of money but don't put a lot of that money into the game they are making. (Again he brings 1.5 million dollars because he really doubts that the developer will put all that money into that game.) 

I respect your opinion on that.

I look forward to Yooka-Laylee as well along with Mighty No. 9 and Bloodstained.

I feel that this is going to be the year or in this case the generation where indie and crowd funded games are going to be bringing gaming up to speed. As for the big publishers, they're going to collapse due to their bad business decisions.

Couldn't of said better.

Similar thread already exists: http://angryjoeshow....ual-successors/

Merged into one

He mentioned BloodStained recently and went off on a rant about its stretch goals. "1.5 million for an extra boss? I would love if the game were to be expanded into something bigger/longer experience with those 1.5 million dollars, not just to add a new fucking boss."

In most cases a terrible idea, making huge promises is what causes developers to lose focus, to add poorly thought out features, or to either lose money trying to implement it or to lose money delaying the game to add things. Giving people too much money can be just as bad as them not having enough. Depending on the project they also shouldn't feel obligated to make the game any different from the promised idea even if they are given a lot of extra money because it increases the chances for things to go wrong or for them to get involved with things they know little about (see most Kickstarter devs regret offering things like shirts as rewards and all the money and time it wasted them).

Bloodstained isn't run like a real Kickstarter though, it's more about marketing. He's already being funded by outside companies paying for the game, he just needed to show that there was enough interest to be given the funding, that's why all the goal was set for was $500,000 and the page is or was full of, "Make us art", "Share with everyone", "Here's all the youtube partners we've gained", "We get this many shares and we reveal more stretch goals." It's a way to get free press and extra money that's not really needed, he just needed the preorders to be given the money from his business partners to make the game. It's why the stretch goals are like that, he is already being given millions+Kickstarter amount, so when he hits 1.5 he's not tripling his goal.

GLXLynx likes this

Merged into one

In most cases a terrible idea, making huge promises is what causes developers to lose focus, to add poorly thought out features, or to either lose money trying to implement it or to lose money delaying the game to add things. Giving people too much money can be just as bad as them not having enough. Depending on the project they also shouldn't feel obligated to make the game any different from the promised idea even if they are given a lot of extra money because it increases the chances for things to go wrong or for them to get involved with things they know little about (see most Kickstarter devs regret offering things like shirts as rewards and all the money and time it wasted them).

Bloodstained isn't run like a real Kickstarter though, it's more about marketing. He's already being funded by outside companies paying for the game, he just needed to show their was enough interest to be given the funding, that's why all the goal was set for was $500,000 and the page is or was full of, "Make us art", "Share with everyone", "Here's all the youtube partners we've gained", "We get this many shares and we reveal more stretch goals." It's a way to get free press and extra money that's not really needed, he just needed the preorders to be given the money from his business partners to make the game.

That is going to have me question some of the kickstarters.

Here's an interesting about the subject.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/19/8624665/big-indie-kickstarters-are-killing-actual-indies

If kickstarter was around 5 years ago and was as huge as it is today it wouldn't surprise me if Capcom pulled the same thing to get Megaman Legends 3 funded.

Here's an interesting about the subject.

http://www.polygon.c...g-actual-indies

Was talking about this a little bit earlier. While Bloodstained might not be run like a normal Kickstarter, it's very unlikely to be taking away from other projects. For every idiot that (would have to have not even read about or watched the video for the Bloodstained Kickstarter where they said almost all the money was from outside support) now thinks that large projects can be done with small budgets you are likely to find other backers who found/became interested in/have renewed interest in Kickstarter and crowd funding sites thanks to projects like this. The whole reason why we started to see more and higher budget video games projects being funded in the first place was thanks to Double Fine and then inXile and Obsidian, besides attracting people to the site and crowdfunding in the first place through their work and media/word of mouth coverage of their work a lot of the larger Kickstarters and people who run them have done a good job of letting people know about smaller Kickstarter projects, often even while their project was ongoing. It's going to take more than people not reading or watching Bloodstained's pitch to ruin Kickstarter for the indie developers. No matter what the average uneducated consumer thinks about how game development works, her game would never have gotten $672,000 or anywhere near it.

Although, needing larger budgets and unforseen expenses is always a possibility, which is often why the bigger projects will want to have their game on early access even after doing a Kickstarter.