• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Recon_avwf

A little bit of my thoughts on Game length.

11 posts in this topic

So probably the most discussed topic on games is game length, many games a praised or complained on based on this one factor e.g. The Order: 1886 criticized for being to short, Alien: Isolation criticized for being to long why is that you ask? Let me throw my theory at you.

For starters your personal life has a bit to do with it such as families and jobs. If you have both off these you're probably got less time to yourself so you are looking for a shorter experience, where as a jobless and/or famliyless will probably looking for longer time with games due to less money and more personal time. But what else factors in?

Like most factors it completely depends on the situation presented such as in The order's case it had no multiplayer or replayability so not only was it short it didn't have a fun to time ratio, on the other hand Portal 2 was praised for being short mainly because of the style of the gameplay and it knew when to stop while it was ahead. Alien was criticized as being to long and it think that was because of the style of game that it was, the more time you have with the Alien the less intimidating it became as you learned its behaviour and patterns, where as Witcher 3 is currently being praised for its long life due to is being an open world game with much to experience and discover. 

I guess the point I was getting at was does length matter as much as most of us believe or is it really a trivial thing to worry about in a game. What about you guys does it matter to you as much or are  you more about graphics and gameplay? Also if you have a different theory i'd like to here it. :)

Kj-Boone likes this

1. Game lenght matters but nobody will play a boring game. Make the game either have a interesting world, story or gameplay and make it long. Some games are better when they are longer and some are not.

2. Game lenght shouldn't be compared or made to suit those that have less time to play. If it's a long game and they dont have much time to play, they will finish it over time, it really is no big deal. And it won't spoil anything if they are having fun. If people don't have much time to play, then they just need to wait until they do. I don't think other gamers and companies care about that.

3. Game lenght also depends on the type of game. FPS are usually shorter and people expect RPG, open-world games and games with stories to be a bit longer and have more content.

4. The Order was just...I don't know. It's not a good example to set for a proper game lenght. What was it? 4 hours or something? I think MINIMUM you are supposed to have for such games is at least 15 hours, for a FPS or 3rd person shooter. Anything under that is lazy, unless the game has an outstanding multiplayer.

rairoken16 likes this

Yeah The Order wasn't a good game but we can't take it's length as the fault Resident Evil 1 was only about 2 hours per Character but what made it more special was the fact it reward each completion with new weapons and modes that made replayability more likely, even so you could say maybe 9 or 10 hours out of Resident evil 1 tops when you really think about it.

In my opinion, it all depends on the genre, and it also all depends on the player. Games like The Order: 1886 amd other shorter titles are the perfect length for those who enjoy playing games, but have less time to themselves because of things like full time jobs and/or family/kids to look after, it is a great feeling getting to see the entirety of a game, from start to finish all in a bite sized package, but say with a game like Dragon Age or even The Witcher 3, these are the types of game that somebody in this position would love to play, but may never finish because of the grand scope and length. These type of games are for those who have disposable time.

For me, I have a busy life, but I do also have time to myself every now and then, so I am a little in between, and for me, game length is not entirely a big deal to me. If the game is short or I am not entirely sure what to expect, like The Order, I just rent it, but if it is a game like Witcher 3 (or Dragon Age: Inquisition, Bloodborne, GTA V, etc...), I buy them (digitally), because I know that I can take my time (if I have the time) and just lose countless hours as I delve deeper into these worlds/stories.

I think for a full priced game there is an expectation of it providing you with a minimum number of hours of entertainment. Games can be short and entertaining but I would expect them to be cheaper than the average.

I didn't play the order but form what I heard it was set up for a sequel which is just bad business when you haven't provided enough of a story in the original to tempt people into learning more. Better would have been to provide a complete story in The Order and provide side stories through DLC if you really wanted to milk more money from it. IMO.

I prefer a game to be longer because:

1. I feel like im getting my money's worth. Games aren't cheap :)

2. You can provide more depth to characters and story. My favourite genre is RPG and they need a good story to be playable.

3. Gaming is my primary form of entertainment so for me I like to get stuck in for hours on end.

On the flip side.

1. Filling out a game to make it longer is just wrong and makes it boring.

2. There are so many games I want to play. I just don't have time for them all :)

Tomb raider was 5-6 hours of time for me but it was fun so i still felt i made my moneys worth especially when i go back and play it sometimes. but then again i remember XCOM: Enemy Within which gave me endless hours of  fun more so in a way i think its more about the fun to time ratio the more of the fun you have in ths 5 hours the more happy you are going to be with your purchase. That being said if there is a game that you enjoy more and its longer as well i think that is the games that you'd focus on more.

Laserrifle125, Apex Spartan and like this

I personally believe that all games should be long. For me a long game is a positive thing done. But in all honesty the game needs to be long and fun if it isn't fun then the length wouldn't matter at all what so ever. I think long games are better but I much rather play a game that's short and fun then a game that's super boring but long. This is one huge reason why I loved TES Skyrim because its long and also fun as hell.

I personally believe that all games should be long. For me a long game is a positive thing done. But in all honesty the game needs to be long and fun if it isn't fun then the length wouldn't matter at all what so ever. I think long games are better but I much rather play a game that's short and fun then a game that's super boring but long. This is one huge reason why I loved TES Skyrim because its long and also fun as hell.

Skyrim's main questline was not that long but it's side quests could keep you busy for a whole damn year. Felt like there was an infinite number of side quests.

Laserrifle125 likes this

Essentially Skyrims main story isn't that long but it also depends as if you count the civil war and dlc story line as main story dues to the tie to you being the dragonborn nonetheless still not paticulary long, but it is all the extra stuff that gives the game long life.

Game length does AND does not matter. It would matter a lot less if the $60 baseline we have for games well.... wasn't a baseline. Games like The Order should come at a lower price. If it was $30... Hell, even $40, I would have considered it. But Along with length you have to consider replay value. That's why Wolfenstein is a PERFECT example of how to do it right. Not only is it a good length, but it is HELLA replayable.

and Laserrifle125 like this

I too think that longer is better, but certainly doesn't make or break a game. I understand some people have less free time, but I don't magically enjoy a game only after completing it, I don't even get a spike of enjoyment after completing it... the end is just another part as important as everything else. So saving my game, taking the time to playing it slowly but surely is just as fun as being able to complete it in a reasonable amount of itme.

Of course having a game seem long and that it drags on sounds bad but that image really only gets applied if you aren't having fun with the game anymore regardless of if it was long or short. You wouldn't magically enjoy the game the way it plays just because it's short. You may argue that sometimes they are fun for awhile, but they repeat the same thing over and over for too long and it gets boring. Again, the problem there lies not in the length itself, but in that it doesn't offer anything new, or that what it does have isn't something that is very repeat-friendly.

The only time I really think game length can be a problem is a roguelike style game where 'hardcore' mode is always on. For example, a roguelike that can take around 30 hours to complete. I think these games are great (Tales of Maj'eyal, Sword of the stars: the pit) but their length does make starting a new game for them more of a careful consideration, and makes me start new games less often. The reason being is that I don't want to start it, have to stop after like 12 hours or something (over the weekend or something, not in one sitting! lol), be unable to play again until the next weekend, and kinda forget where I left off, resulting in me potentially dying and invalidating the last 12 hours. I mean dying happens and it doesn't invalidate progress, but when you die for something that wasn't really a mistake on your part, or a learning experience, I feel it kinda DOES invalidate.

For that reason roguelikes are pretty much the only kind of game (or anything where you must play hardcore type modes) where I think they shouldn't grow too long.