• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Glaice

Microsoft can brick your Xbox One if they want to

26 posts in this topic

Thank you for posting this. This is absolutely ridiculous and disturbing. How can I trust a company able to and willing to completely revoke my rights to play on something I legally purchased. Obviously I'm not doing something to place me in that position but each one of those bricked in this case have ZERO reason to continue with xbox and in fact will and have shared this case through social media. Microsoft has done irreparable damage to their own property. 

frogben998 likes this

I agree this action was iron fisted and over zealous here, but these stories get misread and over publicized. If you use your XBox (Or Playstation or WiiU, there's probably a similar system on their platforms as well, though maybe not as over zealous) for what it's be supposed to be used for, you are in no danger of this happening to you. To say this doesn't hurt the innocent wouldn't be completely true as the shared accounts on this guys console have also been been blocked, but if I was one of those family members/freinds, I would pissed at the the guy who fucked around the console doing thing things they shouldn't be doing with it, not Microsoft themselves.

As somebody who uses his XBox legitly, I'm not concerned about this. 

Crazycrab likes this

Now that's messed up. If u used it for leaks and hacks. Still u bought the console! Feels like u rented it and the will cancel your contact if u fuck up... There goes another 400 bucks console. Shame on u Microsoft!

That's 1 more reason to not buy an xbox 1

While I agree that bricking these consoles is wrong, I think the video takes a little bit of a simplified view of the EULA.

Yes, it was written into the agreement, but that does not mean that it's something that Microsoft will do often.

Just as an example, here's something from reddit's user agreement:

By submitting user content to reddit, you grant us a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, unrestricted, worldwide license to reproduce, prepare derivative works, distribute copies, perform, or publicly display your user content in any medium and for any purpose, including commercial purposes, and to authorize others to do so.

That does not mean reddit are going to start publishing your content everywhere.

By the same token, just because this power is written in the EULA, it does not mean Microsoft are going to start bricking people's consoles at a whim. Microsoft may make stupid decisions sometimes, but they're not that stupid.

On top of this, the video assumes that the testers had no pre-written contract with the testers - this could have also been written in.

People just need to stop being idiots with their console and then there is no risk of it happening.  So whats the problem?

I agree this action was iron fisted and over zealous here, but these stories get misread and over publicized. If you use your XBox (Or Playstation or WiiU, there's probably a similar system on their platforms as well, though maybe not as over zealous) for what it's be supposed to be used for, you are in no danger of this happening to you. To say this doesn't hurt the innocent wouldn't be completely true as the shared accounts on this guys console have also been been blocked, but if I was one of those family members/freinds, I would pissed at the the guy who fucked around the console doing thing things they shouldn't be doing with it, not Microsoft themselves.

As somebody who uses his XBox legitly, I'm not concerned about this. 

People just need to stop being idiots with their console and then there is no risk of it happening.  So whats the problem?

I agree that will almost certainly never happen to the vast majority of XBox One Users, even among those who misbehave a bit but remotely disabling the console!  That is way over zealous!  Why not just ban their accounts from XBox Live?  Many family's use their consoles to watch movies on disc, TV, Netflix and so on, why the hell should they punished?

Wow MIcrosoft, you done fucked it up. Now this is going to tell me that I'm not going to get an Xbox One. Seriously, that is just messed up.

Dont really care as i use my xbox for its intended purposes and dont tamper with it. So theres no risk of it happening. Sounds like general whining by someone who got caught doing something they shouldnt have.

Dont really care as i use my xbox for its intended purposes and dont tamper with it. So theres no risk of it happening. Sounds like general whining by someone who got caught doing something they shouldnt have.

they have a valid arguement that it was heavy handed, but I doubt they'd get anywhere in a court of law.

They broke a contract by leaking the footage.

I'm on the boat that says it depends why. Buying something legally doesn't mean you have your right to abuse it however you like. Just because you bought a telephone doesn't mean you can use the cord to strangle your neighbor, and if you do, alot more will happen than the phone getting taken away form you. Now obviously that example is over the top but I'm just saying the why IS a factor that CAN theoretically justify the ability to brick a system. If someone is using their xbone to try and crack bank accounts or whatever, I completely support bricking that system asap. As for the case in the video, I don't know enough about it yet to judge, I wont just take one video's word for it at this point.

Humorousone likes this

News link

This is just going too far. Or am I too late on this?

As if the Xbox One wasn't already a brick AM I RIGHT???

*canned laughter*

As if the Xbox One wasn't already a brick AM I RIGHT???

*an uncomfortable void of nobody laughing*

Fixed  :P

CQR Myles and Chumbry42 like this

Well I will feel bad for anyone that is also using that same xbox only to find out they are also unable to play on it because of a certain person stupidity. 

Blocking the XBL accounts is understandable.

Suing the guys for violating the NDA is understandable.

Blocking the system so that it can't be played, period? The freaking console and the freaking games were purchased by them! Microsoft already got the money! That's intruding into the property of their consumers.

"Being a good citizen" and having it "not happen to me" is no excuse to approve of such an abusive system based on the "it only targets the bad people" premise.

Over here, we have a saying: "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely". Don't just close your eyes and think evil's gone.

Edited by Puntosmx
Mr_E_Meatshield likes this

This can happen to a Playstation, Wii or any other console that has access to the internet as well if you abusive certain privileges... and it most assuredly is likely completely legal. These companies don't pay millions in legal fees to have something like this fall through the cracks. This isn't really a new thing and is tantamount to much ado about nothing.

This is similar to software you buy digitally I'm assuming. Be careful in assuming you "own" it. Read those licensing agreements xD. They reserve the right to deny you access to that software if they deem you have broken any clauses in those agreements. Same as buying any digital media online. Heck, Steam can do it too on PC and ban you from accessing "your" games if you have violated certain clauses of their agreeements.

This can happen to a Playstation, Wii or any other console that has access to the internet as well if you abusive certain privileges... and it most assuredly is likely completely legal. These companies don't pay millions in legal fees to have something like this fall through the cracks. This isn't really a new thing and is tantamount to much ado about nothing.

This is similar to software you buy digitally I'm assuming. Be careful in assuming you "own" it. Read those licensing agreements xD. They reserve the right to deny you access to that software if they deem you have broken any clauses in those agreements. Same as buying any digital media online. Heck, Steam can do it too on PC and ban you from accessing "your" games if you have violated certain clauses of their agreeements.

Law =/= Justice =/= Fairness.

The (probably true) idea that this is legal doesn't mean we as consumers should shut up and put up.

Just like John Deere and GM claim you don't own your own car, a console maker messing around with your console because they didn't like what you were doing with it runs contrary to consumer rights.

And the only way for that to NOT happen is for the consumers to stand up and protest those anticonsumer policies.

Yes, yes. Their servers are theirs, one has to agree to terms of service to use them and all of that.

But the steel and silicon one keeps at home or takes out for a stroll are the consumer's property. Messing with the way those work because someone got angry at the consumer only serves to show these companies feel entitled to the consumer's money without regard to their rights.

I agree with you. Though I didn't broach the subject of whether or not it was right for them to do so. The fact remain is that they can.

From what I understand, the main issue people are having with this (other than it's the evil Microsoft corporation doing it) is that this sets a precedent for companies and other third parties to affect the property of private citizens. The real issue here wouldn't just be that these parties have the capability, but have protected themselves and their right to use this power behind a legal firewall that likely can't be taken down, if for no other reason than those who would want to simply can't afford the legal fees it would require to take away what is really a HUGELY unfair position of power from these third parties.

The main idea lots of people find so repugnant is that these companies are telling people, "We've put a lot of work into this, and we own the ideas behind it, so, if you buy our product, you can only use it in a way we want you to. If you don't do what we say, we're taking it away from you without reimbursement, and there's nothing you can do about this."

And the response from those who disagree with the worried people (and this is an over-simplification, I'm aware) boils down to, "they made it, and the contract says it, so we have to abide by it. Just do what they say and don't rock the boat."

So, really, the issue at hand is that these companies have the power to create completely tilted and unfair contracts for those buying the products for use in their own homes - contracts that many of the companies can change at any time, thereby making said contracts worthless for the consumer - and the consumer has no real way of making these companies stop. The consumer is, in this case, powerless. Impotent.

And, when the implications of this set in, when people see just how far that can go, it becomes terrifying. In response, some lash out at it. Others defend it, saying these companies have the right to protect their ideas and business. But the fact remains that, in this case and many others, these companies can affect something a private citizen owns, in their own home, and said citizen is powerless to stop it.

So, in the end, the issue isn't that someone's XBone was bricked. The issue is that a binding legal contract should have input from both sides and should not be changeable without consent, at the point of change, from all parties involved. I may be wrong, but I thought that a contract entered into with bad faith - that is, with the intention of either not carrying through agreements or of taking undue advantage of another party physically, mentally, or financially - could not be enforced and could, in fact, be broken by the aggrieved party with no legal repercussions.

Puntosmx likes this

Precedence for digutal hardware and media has already been set. This isn't a new thing. Someone just put it on youtube is all. Hopefully companies rethink the whole idea.

ok i changed my mind ill buy play station 4.But still was this guy with the bricked xbox 1 using it legitly or he was fcking around with is?

Banned testers for leaking content, accounts and suspected accounts present on their Xbox One kits have been banned with a temporarily blocked all of their Xbox One privileges, still usable offline. Another topic on the internet filled with a load of misinformation and drivel. 

These leaks drew a stern rebuke from VMC Consulting, a third-party testing service that helps coordinate these kinds of tests for Microsoft through its Global Beta Test Network. In a letter to testers obtained by Polygon and Kotaku, VMC warned of serious consequences for breaking a non-disclosure agreement associated with the test, including punishment from Microsoft that could render an Xbox One useless.

"To be clear, if a console is suspended from Xbox Live for a violation of the Terms of Use, it can still be used offline," the statement said. "Microsoft enforcement action does not result in a console becoming unusable. Suspensions for both consoles and accounts are determined by looking at a number of factors. To avoid enforcement action including suspension from the service, users should follow the Xbox Live Terms of Use and Code of Conduct.”