• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

nickyzhere

Being a gamer and the assumptions it brings

9 posts in this topic

So I was on YouTube earlier watching what felt like anything that was suggested to me, and eventually I came across a video Boogie2988 did about gaming and how people tell him it made him fat. I went into this video thinking that it would just be a simple video about how video gaming isn't bad for your health (if you don't overdo it, that's common sense) but how it helped him, and how he believes it saved his life. This is an amazing video in my opinion and I wish that more people could see this.

baronrouker, Dane2hip48, and 4 others like this

So I was on YouTube earlier watching what felt like anything that was suggested to me, and eventually I came across a video Boogie2988 did about gaming and how people tell him it made him fat. I went into this video thinking that it would just be a simple video about how video gaming isn't bad for your health (if you don't overdo it, that's common sense) but how it helped him, and how he believes it saved his life. This is an amazing video in my opinion and I wish that more people could see this.

He also did a video where he said he wanted to commit suicide but when he got into MMORPGs and other RPG games, it made him not think of problems and he became this other person online who nobody knew was this fat guy. He got reputation, he was respected and so on and it helped him. This video is quite similar. I love these kinds of videos, thanks for sharing!

Personally I wouldn't say gaming saved my life but it helped me in many situations where otherwise sometimes I felt like I would just fail and had 0 motivation for anything, but gaming always made me feel better. It did help me go through a few dark times.

It's sadly something that older generations or people who just can't and don't want to understand gaming, will never understand. For them it will always be either a waste of time or something only fat/boring people do. Or they think it's addiction which really pisses me off. And sitting in front of a TV whole fucking day is OK? Nobody complains about that. Besides it's not addiction, it's a hobby.

It's one of the reasons throughout my high school I didn't ever want to talk too openly about how much I game. I had this feeling most of people there would think I'm crazy, since all of them were the party type of people...they went out every Friday and Saturday and got drunk while I would spend those days gaming. I got myself a pretty shady reputation in high school. I never talked about my hobbies or how I spent my weekends openly, everyone was like "What do you ever do Apex?" I would just have a certain way of avoiding the question. I wasn't shy or embarrased but it was just fun lol

Oh well...

By the way, the video I was talking about:

frogben998 and Eiousx like this

Allot of people say that playing games is a waste of time. They're right, that's why it's a past time you morons. Nobody's gonna cure cancer or figure out how to harness the power of nuclear fusion buy building model planes or plying golf are they? Yet video games games to be treated differently in this regard.

Ixnatifual and Laserrifle125 like this

Everyone makes assumptions, it's human nature and most of us are humans (I 'assume' Joe has some kind of god like status!  :)).

It's just a shame that some people are happy to make those assumptions negative ones; my take is an assumption is a belief formed without knowing the full facts/truth. Why would anyone want to automatically believe something negative about someone?

Many say I can be 'blissfully ignorant' at times and I have no idea why some people like train spotting or collecting stamps, but if it brings them joy, makes them a happier person and doesn't hurt anyone then who am I to judge; I prefer a happier world :D

well il ltell you something when i was younger i was extremely shy.And when i discovered guild wars and aion i learned how to talk to ppl.There is no such thing in school that learns you how to talk to ppl.And this days i have alot of good friends and i can make new friends and contacts much quicker

Gaming can actually be energy consuming when it comes to competitive gaming. Some people don't seem to understand modern games and it may result in negative prejudices towards gamers.

well il ltell you something when i was younger i was extremely shy.And when i discovered guild wars and aion i learned how to talk to ppl.There is no such thing in school that learns you how to talk to ppl.And this days i have alot of good friends and i can make new friends and contacts much quicker

I have a similar tale.. I don't think it was me being shy though. Just a combination of me being too polite to risk interrupting people, being an introvert, and naturally being a man of few words (yes I realize I'm long-winded as fuu when I type, that's another story).

But while I was main tank for my guild in world of warcraft, I also acted as a raid leader a fairly large number of itmes as well, and...well, you kinda get used to speaking up with confidence to other people really effing fast in that situation =P