• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

PhoenixShi

Blade & Soul is finally coming to NA, and Europe, no really, it is

42 posts in this topic

I'm afraid you two are being jumpy and hypersensitive... I was informed that B&S was in fact delayed because ncsoft decided that wildstar was somehow better for western audiences. I didn't pull this out of my arse either, it was in fact a pretty common opinion amongst the game's community last time I was following it more closely. looking here:

http://www.bladeandsouldojo.com/topic/13848-wildstar-has-nothing-to-do-with-the-blade-and-soul-delay/

Notice the 3rd poster down is a very active retired staff member of the BnS western community, if their own staff felt otherwise, I don't think it's unreasonable for other people to have the same feelings. Furthermore, having different development teams would be a great point of evidence under normal circumstances.. but BnS had its own staff before wildstar was announced, and then they just kinda vanished, or at least seemed to..then wildstar became a thing...So it's possible the publisher decided to find new staff for wildstar before finding new staff to replace BnS' staff, THEN get a staff for BnS. This is a hypothetical situation where having different staff does not mean BnS was lower on their list of priorities.

Now I'm not arguing I was correct, I appreciate being corrected on the official statements, though I do think being exasperated at a common mistake that even community staff makes within the span of a single post to be pretty intolerant.

Next... I was not trying to belittle seph's opinion on the founders pack, I was commenting on the value of a founders pack because Azriel mentioned value, I too mentioned value, and I also mentioned deciding if you like the game first. Seph obviously likes the game and wants to support it... I completely agree with supporting games you know you like when they are localized...

Finally Seph, you seem to think I'm picking on you ever since what I assume was what happened in the #GG thread... Id id not beat around the bush in that thread, I called you out directly and openly. If I was picking on you, I wouldn't be doing it all subtle and passive-aggressive like, and I had no intention of doing it. But based on your reaction here, I'm more than willing to bite back if you continue your baseless accusations and attempted dogpiling, private or public. But if you truly want peace, I'm more than willing to continue on as we were.

Anzriel likes this

The only real reason to get founders packs for online games tends to be if the exclusive stuff is really important to you, as the rest will likely be given away at events, and/or cheaper during cash shop sales, and include stuff you likely didn't care about. In this case it'd be titles, social items (which may just be palette swaps of items you can get after release), the name reservations, and three day head start if you're the type that just has to be in the top of the heap as soon as possible. Getting in the closed beta is kinda pointless, as there's pretty much always a wipe after closed betas, and if you want to see what the game is like, you could just try the Chinese release with an English patch for free.

Many have debated why the game was delayed as it was, many also blamed Wildstar for that, although that'd surely just be typical stuff people make up, some may claim to have some "official source," but that tends to be like how every web forum seems to be filled with doctors, and people with a dozen PHDs. Heard that they supposedly stated they were trying to sort things out with latency issues that tend to be a problem for faster games in larger release areas, but we'll likely never know the real reasons, and at this point it doesn't really matter anymore.

I believe they have said the game will differ from other releases in some ways. Played the first Lineage before it was shut down, from what I remember the starter area was made easier than in South Korea, there were some quality of life changes like colour coding mob names to show their difference in level to your own, and we had a Mac version, which didn't exist in South Korea. When it's their own games as it was with Lineage, and B&S, they'd be more free to make changes than in the more typical developer, publisher arrangement.

Toriko likes this

They finally announced the closed beta schedule.  It will be October 30-September 2, November 13-16, November 24-30, December 11-14, and December 18-21.

By the look of things they are might be planning to give us open beta as a christmas present at the earliest.  Oh and you can read the full announcement post and sign up for the beta here.

Looks like a generic Korean MMORPG

plus i don't think the Free2play aspect is gonna be fair

Looks like a generic Korean MMORPG

plus i don't think the Free2play aspect is gonna be fair

It isn't.  It has the same generic questing structure as most MMOs these day, but that's the only thing that makes it like a generic Korean MMORPG.  Aside from the fact that it was made in Korea that is.

The combat is action based, not unlike TERA, but there are fewer classes that are more unique instead of numerous classes that have a lot of similarities between them.  The two most similar classes in Blade and Soul are the Blade Master and the Blade Dancer, but the differences between them are fairly large.  If you ever played a Berserker in TERA, you will feel right at home playing the Destroyer.

Equipment is treated in slightly differently.  You can upgrade your weapon to make it stronger as you can in many MMORPGs, some generic and some not, but you don't get any armor.  Instead you get these weird plates that may or may not have a cultural significance in Korea that increase your stats and give you a set bonus if you use a certain amount of plates in a set, ranging from 2 to all 6 (I think there are only 6 plate slots).  You get clothing instead of armor, but they don't have stats and are really for decoration.  The way they do equipment is not unlike how Skyforge does it, although technically Blade and Soul did it first since it was released first.  In Korea.

Movement is anything but generic.  It's the same run fast, jump high, and glide/slow fall system that Age of Wushu used to flip gravity the bird.  So while it's not unique, it's not generic either.

I can't say anything for the story, but again, the races are a mix of generic and non-generic.  The Jin are regular humans, same thing we get in every MMO ever and can be the blade weidling Blade Master, Bruce Lee impersonating Kung Fu Masters, or the sneaky and stealthy Assassins.  The Yun are a gender locked female only race (par for the course in Korean MMOs) who look almost identical to Jin females and have all the same classes as the Jin but get to be Force Masters instead of Assassins, lightsaber not included sadly.  The Gon are a race of musclebound giants who are easily twice as tall as the Jin and the Yun (yes, even the female Gon will make even the manliest of Jin feel emasculated) and show off more skin than any other race; they can Kung Fu Masters, Force Masters (according to the website which is odd because I don't remember them having that option in the version I played) and the totally not Astaroth from Soul Calibur Destroyers.  Finally the Lyn seem like a generic lolita race at first, complete with animal ears and clothing that ranges from overly frilly to Chris-Hansen-wants-a-word-with-the-guy-who-designed-that, but they somehow manage to escape the same controversy the Elin of TERA got by being the first equal opportunity lolita race and have a male counterpart (and no, the Popori, despite being supposed to be related to the Elin, have more in common with the Chua of Wildstar than the Elin when it comes to design, so they don't count), thus elevating the Lyn from generic to downright unique.  Oh, and they can either be a Force Master, the not Blade Master class  the Blade Dancer, or the Summoner who summons a supah kawaii kitty cat.

So, in conclusion/TL;DR, Blade and Soul is not generic.  Certain aspects of it are, but with the downright oversaturation of MMOs these days it's impossible to not have some generic aspects.

So, in conclusion/TL;DR, Blade and Soul is not generic.  Certain aspects of it are, but with the downright oversaturation of MMOs these days it's impossible to not have some generic aspects.

true, but its those aspects that bothers me.

And the characters are somewhat generic, based upon character creation videos i can say that it has alot in common with other Korean MMOs (that's not a bad thing for some people, but i dislike the style)

(btw why does this game have this Lyn race in the game, they are out of place and are just plain wrong)

Idk, it's certainly not a game for me, but i can understand why people are excited for the game. 

If it is Free2play there is no harm in trying it out, as i could be wrong.

Im hon3etly wondering what are the genetic elements of a korean mmo to begin with. When I hear korean mmo I basically think "mmo with gameplay that isnt stand and hack".

Though combat based ones often have that god awful +8-15 weapon uograde system where you can only upgrade up to a point before you have like a 95% chance of failure and the penalty for failjre is massive like weapon goes back to level 0 or completely perma breaks or something. Guh.

(btw why does this game have this Lyn race in the game, they are out of place and are just plain wrong)

Because it takes place in a pseudo-ancient asian country and there is backstory about them saying that they descended from a mythical beast, just like the Yun descended from another mythical best and the Gon yet another.

They aren't out of place any more than a Pandaren is out of place in WoW or an Aurin in Wildstar.

Im hon3etly wondering what are the genetic elements of a korean mmo to begin with. When I hear korean mmo I basically think "mmo with gameplay that isnt stand and hack".

Though combat based ones often have that god awful +8-15 weapon uograde system where you can only upgrade up to a point before you have like a 95% chance of failure and the penalty for failjre is massive like weapon goes back to level 0 or completely perma breaks or something. Guh.

No, there isn't a chance of failure from what I recall.  But you do need to sacrifice other weapons to upgrade one weapon and in order to upgrade it past a certain level you need to sacrifice a particular weapon.

Honestly the most generic things I found in the game was that the females being oversexualized with high heels, big breasts, and showing off more skin than is necessary.

Weapon and accessory upgrades are done through a feeding/evolution system. The best weapons in the game start out as lower end weapons, are "fed" weaker weapons to gain strength, and then are combined with very specific weapons to evolve in to new weapons. Then the system repeats several more times. The same system is also used for accessories. Armor in this game, just as demon stated, is completely cosmetic. Your stats are obtained from your weapons, accessories, and from 8 pieces of a medallion which is referred by different names in each regional version. The later system encourages you to use the same pieces since they provide set bonuses. You can also +1 the pieces by using crafting materials.

As for the combat in this game it is a soft lock action combat system. The action bars change based the state you are in and/or your opponent's state. For example, you have completely different skills if you are standing, knocked down, or being held in the air by your opponent. This is by far the biggest reason I like this game. The combat feels really fluid and more focused on reacting to your opponent. There are counters and counters for counters. Like an actual martial arts fight.

Calling a game generic based on character creation is hardly fair. I could say that every fighting game is generic based on its character selector using those methods. This is an mmo, the game is much larger than making your character.

Oh and the story is pretty interesting. There are plenty of interesting cutscenes. It will be nice to finally have everything localized so I can experience it without the broken English.

Calling a game generic based on character creation is hardly fair. I could say that every fighting game is generic based on its character selector using those methods. This is an mmo, the game is much larger than making your character.

yeah, i guess you're right

The truth of this is the Elin race in Tera. Bluehole studio's has made so much money on Elin only crap in the store and since almost the entirety of the BHS development team for Tera walked out of the NCSOFT Korean building (with computers under their arms, this part might by an urban myth) why wuldn't NCSoft use that idea for small animal type beings

The truth of this is the Elin race in Tera. Bluehole studio's has made so much money on Elin only crap in the store and since almost the entirety of the BHS development team for Tera walked out of the NCSOFT Korean building (with computers under their arms, this part might by an urban myth) why wuldn't NCSoft use that idea for small animal type beings

But that doesn't account for the fact that there are both male and female Lyn.

From digging around in the stuff and internet articles from sites, originally the concept for Tera was to have the Elin and Popo in the same race selection tab thus male and female animal characters.

I can't stand either and would loose no sleep if Elins, Popo's, Asura, Lyn where removed totally from gaming.

From digging around in the stuff and internet articles from sites, originally the concept for Tera was to have the Elin and Popo in the same race selection tab thus male and female animal characters.

I can't stand either and would loose no sleep if Elins, Popo's, Asura, Lyn where removed totally from gaming.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa!  Elins, Popori, Asura, and Lyn?

One of these is not like the other!  C'mon man, Asura are awesome!  Sure I picked Charr over them, but still, do you really want to compare them to loli races?

Ragnarok Online was a Korean MMORPG and it was a Stand & Hack, so was Lineage 2 from what I remember. Stand, Auto-Attack, Use Skill, Wait for Cooldown, repeat.

Yeah I didn't say there was no such game at all, but...those are pretty old examples, and every modern mmo I know kinda deviate from this... truth be told I kinda think tera/blade and soul deviate from this the LEAST despite tera advertising itself as the first or only action based mmo or something depite the fact that vindictus has way more actioney style combat and came out first.

Not that I think B&S is bad for it, I'm looking forward to playing it. the STYLE of the game is absolutely unique, and not just in a weird pixel whatever kind of way, but a high quality AAA way, AND unique.. very rare this day and age.

On the topic of elin, I never played tera but I know what they are... Frankly it baffles me at how they are so popular. I admit, I'm a freak who actually DOES enjoy playing as a loli from time to time, and I DO enjoy some lolis in games even if I don't play as them... but...skimpy furry lolis? NONONONO GO AWAY.

Fist, things like Vindictus, C9, Dragon Nest, and so on are not MMOs, as generally speaking, there's no massive to their multiplayer. Typically in those at most four people can play together at any time, that's just regular run of the mill multiplayer, and usually their multiplayer is handled by way of a peer to peer connection, rather than everyone playing on dedicated servers. They're basically a lot like if you were to have played Diablo II through Battle.net, or some other multiplayer peer to peer action game with the use of something to help you find people to play with, like say a Borderlands game on Steam. TERA is a MMO, as a great many can actively play together, and you do play on their dedicated servers.

Typically in older MMOs in particular they would be more tab to select, stand, and skill spam type things, with maybe some movement to get away from certain big boss attacks. Played Anarchy Online for a number of years, and in one player question thing someone asked why it's not more of an action game, to which the response was that the technology wasn't there for them to make something like that. That's something that has changed over time, computers are much better, band width is cheaper, and all sorts of other things have come together to allow for something like TERA which has a complete free aiming action game play style in an actual MMO, although still can't be quite as fast paced as non-MMO games can be.

Blade & Soul has something of a soft lock on system, rather than the old tab to lock on system. You can play Guild Wars 2 in a similar manner, so find that a closer commonly known example than TERA which has no lock on system at all. From there as I believe was mentioned different skills can become available depending on the current state of you, or the opponent, such as if you/they are standing, or knocked down. They've started putting out a number of game play related info articles at the official site lately, then there's various other places like a Wiki, and the B&S Dojo you could go to find info on this, or that, or you could just download the Chinese version, and play it.

The wind walking thing, and a number of other aspects were all inspired by the style of many Chinese martial arts movies that have been made for ages. I think B&S for games, at least online games had it first, as that came out in Korea about the time Age of Wushu/Wulin started development, then I think this one game in the works by Perfect World will be using it too, probably others I'm forgetting. After so many basic Tolkien type fantasy games of one type, or another, including some with sci-fi influences, a Chinese martial arts game is something of a breath of fresh air really, and kinda neat.

The cutesy/young characters that often get put into games seem to just be there to help draw in different demographics, so as to widen the potential appeal of the game. I'm reminded of an old video where Joe was trying out TERA with his at that time girlfriend beside him, he's looking at all the hot chicks, with big bouncy boobs, and such in the character creation section, then once he got to the Elin, she got rather interested in playing. It's certainly not limited to the Elin, or Lyn, many games have stuck in cute, and/or young, or at least younger looking characters in their game, even when most others may be more the hot chick, and beefy guy types. Examples would be the female dwarf in Linage II, the two kid character types of base characters in Rusty Hearts, Asura in Guild Wars 2, gnomes in WoW, and so on.