• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

nikiking

lets talk about the bullsh*t around digital copies

22 posts in this topic

so heres what do you guys remember back in the day when you just had to install a pc game put i cd key and bam you can play.No online activation bullshit and no bulshit like digital markets for activating games.I have to say i miss this days.To be hones are we owning our pc games at all? What will happen with steam if they close or if your account gets banned ill tell you what YOU ARE FCKED IN THE *SS cuz all your games are gone.So tell me is that fair??I dont want to admit it but i think that consoles will turn out to better than pc cuz when you buy a physical copy for ps4 or 3 or xbox one you put the damn disc inside and play and thats all.Ofc you can get digital copy if you are stupid but this way you own the right to play the game not the game itself.But when it comes to PC gaming no matter if its physical or digital its the same shit different day and i have to say im sick of it.Some ppl just dont realise that the old way was way better than the digital bullshit and etc.Idk what you guys think but this is my thoughts and i would like to talk about this here so what do you think?

Ixnatifual likes this

Technically speaking, we do not own the games we purchase, the original owners are only providing you a licence to play their games, and that includes physical copies. It is shitty, but it is something we all have to go through, and if we lose said licences, well, that is a risk we are all going to have to take........shamefully.

1st what is gog and 2 nd dont forget the fact that console version dont inlcude cd keys and online market activasions(if you dont buy it digital)

Physical PC games came with a CD key so it would make pirating the game trickier (even though pirates have always found a way around that), but console games never needed them due to the fact that console games are harder to pirate due to different hardware (without other hardware or a little tinkering), still doesn't mean you own the game, just the licence to use it.

All plublishers/developers have Terms & Conditions in place, informing you of a Software Licence Agreement, thus allowing you to play their game if you agree to them.

Here is one example for you to look at ---> Rockstar Games End User Licence Agreement

The funny thing about T&C's is the fact that barely anybody looks over them, which leads to complaints about them not "owning the games" they buy or something of the like. I have always found this to be amusing. :lol:

i think you know what my point is.If you owned the game it means that you can make copies of it and sell it but still console games are "easier to use" you just put the disc and play without steam without origin.

I completely understand your complaint, but that is just the way it is.

Well, frankly, nobody reads the Terms and Conditions because it's likely to take them longer to read it(and then figure out precisely what everything means)than it will take them to beat the game(especially nowadays with games clocking in under 8 hours, if they even have a singleplayer component). It's a similar situation to law. There's just so much to go through that the vast majority of people just don't bother and just go about their business.

BTW, if you have your games downloaded to your computer if/when Steam goes down for whatever reason, you'll still have the games and be able to play them, save for any online component that runs through Steam. This may not be practical for those with 500-something games or with limited hard drive space, but for most it's doable.

baronrouker likes this

i know i repeat myself but isnt the console situation better at least for this?I am pc gamer from years but the fact that console versions are without activations is a big + at least for me.I am even thinking about buying xbox one.

1st what is gog

GOG or Good Old Games is a website/online game store run by the developers of the Witcher, CD Projekt Red. GOG works in some way like Steam in which you buy your games through there website, but that's it, there is no platform you need to log in to play your games and there is no need to be connected to your internet to start your games, because you download the games directly to your PC. It's a DRM free alternative to Steam, there are not as many games as Steam, but their library keeps growing and they will launch a Steam-like program called GOG Galaxy in the near future.

Ixnatifual likes this

i know i repeat myself but isnt the console situation better at least for this?I am pc gamer from years but the fact that console versions are without activations is a big + at least for me.I am even thinking about buying xbox one.

Xbox one safe?

http://angryjoeshow.com/ajsa/topic/28635-microsoft-can-brick-your-xbox-one-if-they-want-to/

There's a difference between having your console bricked for mis-use and being denied buyers rights for games you buy of steam legitimatly.

dont forget the fact that console version dont inlcude cd keys and online market activasions(if you dont buy it digital)

Physical Copies of multiplayer only games like MAG, or even games that require to log-in to servers like that NBA 2k14 game are still equally unusable when the servers get shutdown.

Even if the game has both single player and multiplayer components, once the servers are gone, the multiplayer feature for consoles are gone.

You also seem to forget that at one time, some console games had Online Passes that you needed to even play online.

Honestly I don't mind DRM, as long as it's done the way Steam does it. The amazingly low prices I end up paying for most games simply makes me not care if I were to lose my library of games. Then again, I'm simply not one to replay games... pretty much ever. Once I'm done with it, I really don't care if I lose access to it, but that's just me. If you are the type that goes back to play old games, then consider GoG.com.

Honestly, I'm confused at how your post didn't cause larger disagreement in general by now.

so heres what do you guys remember back in the day when you just had to install a pc game put i cd key and bam you can play.No online activation bullshit and no bulshit like digital markets for activating games.I have to say i miss this days.

Yeah, I miss the days when DRM wasn't a thing too. But you're blaming the wrong thing. Digital markets are not the cause of this, and I don't mean gog.. even steam isn't responsible for this. Heck, many of the games I have on steam, I can play with my modem not even plugged in. DRM has nothing to do with digital markets, it just so happened that its occurance became more and more common as digital markets did as well

To be hones are we owning our pc games at all? What will happen with steam if they close or if your account gets banned ill tell you what YOU ARE FCKED IN THE *SS cuz all your games are gone.So tell me is that fair??

No... if steam shuts down, your games will still be installed on your HD, and the ones without DRM will still be playable. All you have to do is open up the folder your game is installed in, and double-click on the exe without launching steam, and presto... Now, I'm aware that most mainstream games that are on steam that people always talk about have DRM, and this would not work, but it wasn't steam's decision to say THOSE games would have drm or not, unless it was valve itself that made them or something.

I dont want to admit it but i think that consoles will turn out to better than pc cuz when you buy a physical copy for ps4 or 3 or xbox one you put the damn disc inside and play and thats all

Actually, some console games have DRM too these days. And microsoft tried to make the xbone always online, remember? Sure they changed their mind, but I don't think we can safely assume we will never see DRM getting its dirty clutches into our consoles more and more as time progresses. Sometimes it doesn't even have to be drm. Just monday, I was at an assisted living home keeping a guy there company as he plays games, which I do every monday. In any case, he has a ps3, and I've seen him play some relatively new games on there.. CoD: AW, and battlefield hard line. But just this last monday he tried to play resistance 3, which I'm pretty sure is quite a bit older. But no, it wouldn't let him play because he NEEDED a system update.. the system was new enough to handle BF hardline but not resistance 3? What if the PSN went down and could no longer supply updates? I don't think that will happen anytime soon but it's the same thing as "what if steam dies" etc.

And as for being banned and shit... don't be banned, simple. If steam was in the habit of wrongfully banning people I could understand, but I don't think that's the case, if it were people would be shouting over rooftops.

.Ofc you can get digital copy if you are stupid

What the fuck? There's no polite, intelligent way to respond to such a dumbass comment...note I called your comment dumbass, not you personally.

You do realize you can play digital copies on consoles even if the network dies right? I mean, provided said game doesn't have DRM. You just wont be able to install them again. But I've owned some digital copies on my ps3 for several years now, and I've NEVER had the need to reinstall a game once. You may say you'd have to if you're one of those people who buy hundreds of games digitally or whatever, and sure. But it's easily possible to be a dedicated consumer who doesn't need to have countless games that they likely never bother playing. Plus if you're REALLY concerned with that, you can like... you know.. BACK UP YOUR SOFTWARE. how hard would it be to stick a thumbstick in the usb port and transfer the files? 

but this way you own the right to play the game not the game itself.But when it comes to PC gaming no matter if its physical or digital its the same shit different day and i have to say im sick of it.

Yet another person who completely ignores the entire pc gaming market if it isn't super mainstream, and argues against it. I have over a hundred digital games on my pc that I can play with my modem not plugge dinto the wall, and I DONT mean old ones. Ironically enough, some of my old games on CD I CANT play on my pc because they just aren't compatible with my 64bit cpu or whatever, and I'll have to buy it off gog games to get it running.

Some ppl just dont realise that the old way was way better than the digital bullshit and etc

If you mean DRM, and you seem to think digital automatically means DRM, *EVERYONE* realizes that the 'old way' was better. If they didn't, Microsoft wouldn't have had to eat their feet and backpeddle when they tried to DRM the xbone. There are like posts here every damn day where people damn DRM one way or another. The only thing about your post that other people haven't communicated is your misunderstanding that buying things digitally has anything to do with it.

.Idk what you guys think but this is my thoughts and i would like to talk about this here so what do you think?

I thought I should respond to you in a stern, but not unacceptable manner after you decided you should insult likely half the userbase here and call them stupid for not having your point of view in advance.

Legolas_Katarn likes this

Physical copies of Diablo 3 and Deus Ex Human Revolution just unlock the digital copies on both Blizzard's Digital store and Steam respectively.

I bought Dark Souls: Prepare to Die from Steam and only play it in Steam's Offline mode.

Not all Steam games have DRM. You can also get DRM free copies of games on GOG and Humble Bundle's store, as well as some other online stores.

I dont want to admit it but i think that consoles will turn out to better than pc cuz when you buy a physical copy for ps4 or 3 or xbox one you put the damn disc inside and play and thats all

but the fact that console versions are without activations is a big + at least for me

Companies frequently shut down the servers for their games, preventing them from being played online on consoles. Money has to be paid for the online service. Some games had online passes. DLC for games can be lost if their store or online service was to be shut down. Physical copies of games, as well as the consoles themselves, will also deteriorate over time.

I don't know what you mean by activation, you only have the one service on a console.

Ofc you can get digital copy if you are stupid

Insulting a large portion of our community is a good way for you to get quickly removed from the community, don't do it again.

The PS3, Vita, PS4, 360, and One give out multiple free digital games every month, most likely almost every console owning members of this community has digital copies of games.

Some ppl just dont realise that the old way was way better than the digital bullshit and etc

Having to enter the correct things to get passed DRM requiring you to have the box/directions/case artwork/etc, entering CD Codes when installing games, having the possiblity of disks being lost, stolen, or damaged, having a house full of physical copies of games, paying significantly more money for games, having to try to find ways of getting older games to work properly (now some places like GOG are very good at doing that for you), losing all save data anytime something happened to my computer before cloud saves, developers not being able to make games due to being unable to produce and market physical copies. Better isn't exactly how I would describe it.

Puntosmx likes this

1st what is gog and 2 nd dont forget the fact that console version dont inlcude cd keys and online market activasions(if you dont buy it digital)

GOG stands for good old games, they sell 100% DRM free games, no key and your free to install and store as many copies as you desire, they just launched GOG Galaxy which serves much the same purpose as Steam minus the DRM.

Ixnatifual and Puntosmx like this

Not all Steam games have DRM. You can also get DRM free copies of games on GOG and Humble Bundle's store, as well as some other online stores.

Companies frequently shut down the servers for their games, preventing them from being played online on consoles. Money has to be paid for the online service. Some games had online passes. DLC for games can be lost if their store or online service was to be shut down. Physical copies of games, as well as the consoles themselves, will also deteriorate over time.

I don't know what you mean by activation, you only have the one service on a console.

Insulting a large portion of our community is a good way for you to get quickly removed from the community, don't do it again.

The PS3, Vita, PS4, 360, and One give out multiple free digital games every month, most likely almost every console owning members of this community has digital copies of games.

Having to enter the correct things to get passed DRM requiring you to have the box/directions/case artwork/etc, entering CD Codes when installing games, having the possiblity of disks being lost, stolen, or damaged, having a house full of physical copies of games, paying significantly more money for games, having to try to find ways of getting older games to work properly (now some places like GOG are very good at doing that for you), losing all save data anytime something happened to my computer before cloud saves, developers not being able to make games due to being unable to produce and market physical copies. Better isn't exactly how I would describe it.

what do you mean that games and consoles will deteriorate over time.do you mean that consoles will break over time(like anything else) or that the discs will damage.And what will you advice me when you know my point and problem buy a console or update my pc?

what do you mean that games and consoles will deteriorate over time.do you mean that consoles will break over time(like anything else) or that the discs will damage.And what will you advice me when you know my point and problem buy a console or update my pc?

Poorly manufactured and poorly maintained discs can suffer from disc rot which can damage the data stored in the disc. Look at some old Sega CD or Dreamcast discs; see little white holes through the disc when holding it up against light? That is disc rot and those white holes represent lost data in the game. Here is an article/blog post about disc rot;

http://www.rfgeneration.com/news/disc-rot/An-important-note-to-Video-Game-Sellers-and-Buyers-1337.php

Legolas_Katarn likes this

Poorly manufactured and poorly maintained discs can suffer from disc rot which can damage the data stored in the disc. Look at some old Sega CD or Dreamcast discs; see little white holes through the disc when holding it up against light? That is disc rot and those white holes represent lost data in the game. Here is an article/blog post about disc rot;

http://www.rfgeneration.com/news/disc-rot/An-important-note-to-Video-Game-Sellers-and-Buyers-1337.php

ty i understanded your point but when you think about it is there something eternal?