• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Ancient

Windows 10 - Upgrade or nah?

22 posts in this topic

Today, i received a little icon on the lower right corner of my screen (Very similar to win8.1 logo) Asking me if i wanted to upgrade to Windows 10. The little window says, that all my programs apart from daemon tools, will work correctly. It also says my system can take it. (According to the little feature in the prompt window) Okay fine, that's good. But, the real question is, will i be able to play my games?

Concerns:

Surely the performance boost and stuff is excellent! (They told me there's a performance boost) But, personally, my main focus is playing games, that's what i do for fun when i have no money, my favorite pass time. My system is AMD based, i went over to there site, to find anything related to Windows10. Only thing i Found was this: http://www.amd.com/en-us/solutions/software-partners/microsoft/windows Personally my GPU will not receive the Direct X 12 bonus, because its a 6 year old card ( Which seems to support dx11 lol). But what matters is that my CPU works correctly. This page says it will work.

But i am still not sure if i should do it, i mean. windows 8.1 wasn't that too my liking, people said it was not all that better from win7. As i see it, they promise waaay too much with windows10. Is it actually better than windows 8.1 or even win7??

One of my other main concerns is "System lock", Will i be able too install another OS if i wish too? I read an article about it: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2901262/microsoft-tightens-windows-10s-secure-boot-screws-where-does-that-leave-linux.html Currently all i know is Intel machines are able to "toggle" off or on the "Secure boot" option. Kinda scared about that.

Windows 10 appears to be in its early stage, with surely a lot of bugs floating around, But it looks like it will increase performance (Or so they told me) Its free for win7(64Bit???)/8.1 users. And the UI kinda looks cool? With the search bar back and stuff. And my semi old system will be able to run it perfectly according to them. But i rather not have a "preview" version. Microsoft said they'd be pushing windows 10 early 2015 to win7/8 users, but, is it already that far? or are they still pushing the preview version?

So, i am in doubt. Because of all these things mentioned above. Should i upgrade to win10?  Will you upgrade from your old system once you get prompted to do so? And why/why not would you (not) upgrade? do you think it will "promote" gaming? (Old & new games).

Today, i received a little icon on the lower right corner of my screen (Very similar to win8.1 logo) Asking me if i wanted to upgrade to Windows 10. The little window says, that all my programs apart from daemon tools, will work correctly. It also says my system can take it. (According to the little feature in the prompt window) Okay fine, that's good. But, the real question is, will i be able to play my games?

Concerns:

Surely the performance boost and stuff is excellent! (They told me there's a performance boost) But, personally, my main focus is playing games, that's what i do for fun when i have no money, my favorite pass time. My system is AMD based, i went over to there site, to find anything related to Windows10. Only thing i Found was this: http://www.amd.com/en-us/solutions/software-partners/microsoft/windows Personally my GPU will not receive the Direct X 12 bonus, because its a 6 year old card ( Which seems to support dx11 lol). But what matters is that my CPU works correctly. This page says it will work.

But i am still not sure if i should do it, i mean. windows 8.1 wasn't that too my liking, people said it was not all that better from win7. As i see it, they promise waaay too much with windows10. Is it actually better than windows 8.1 or even win7??

One of my other main concerns is "System lock", Will i be able too install another OS if i wish too? I read an article about it: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2901262/microsoft-tightens-windows-10s-secure-boot-screws-where-does-that-leave-linux.html Currently all i know is Intel machines are able to "toggle" off or on the "Secure boot" option. Kinda scared about that.

Windows 10 appears to be in its early stage, with surely a lot of bugs floating around, But it looks like it will increase performance (Or so they told me) Its free for win7(64Bit???)/8.1 users. And the UI kinda looks cool? With the search bar back and stuff. And my semi old system will be able to run it perfectly according to them. But i rather not have a "preview" version. Microsoft said they'd be pushing windows 10 early 2015 to win7/8 users, but, is it already that far? or are they still pushing the preview version?

So, i am in doubt. Because of all these things mentioned above. Should i upgrade to win10?  Will you upgrade from your old system once you get prompted to do so? And why/why not would you (not) upgrade? do you think it will "promote" gaming? (Old & new games).

I've been waiting for Windows 10 and I would say just observe those who have downloaded it to get their reaction of issues they may have with the system. Its what I tend to do. Have to the end of the year to download it for free so there is no need to rush getting it. Just sick back and study it as it takes its first steps out into the wild from captivity. See if it survives.

I can definitely understand your hesitations, so let me address them because I definitely say upgrade.

I'll start with the some of the specs of my rig (since it is quite old and a bit dated)
Processor: AMD A8-3870 (x64) 3.00 GHz
Graphics: Onboard Radeon HD 6550D
RAM: 24GB
HDD: 1) 3 TB 2) 2 TB
I built this in 2012 so it has some years of use and heavy use at that (I compose music and edit videos as well as stream games from my PC and PS4).
And, for the icing on the cake, I have installed Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 3, as it is compatible.
With all of this out there, lemme begin on Windows 10

Should you upgrade? In one word: Yes. In two words: Fuck yes
Windows 8.1 was a major misstep and I think Microsoft has heavily recognized such. Now, yes, Windows 10 is still in its "Technical Preview" which is business language for "Open Beta", so updates are still rolling out and there are possibilities of bugs. There is a way to lower your chance of having these bugs though, because if you go into your options for Windows Update there is an option to "Choose how Preview Builds are installed". You have "Fast" and "Slow", Fast meaning you'll get items sooner, but there is a chance of bugs being present, and slow meaning you'll get more reliable builds with less of a chance for bugs, but you may not get some new feature that they may roll out until later.

The first issue I encountered was not a huge one. My mouse (A Logitech mouse with customizable options via their software) has a few issues with its program, and I had to find an older version of the software to be able to customize my extra buttons, but before I did that, all the features available on a standard mouse were available.

The second issue was more of a personal option. The search bar gives you the option to either show on the task bar, show on the task bar only when the start menu, or only be opened as an application. This I love, but my issue was with search itself. I heavily dislike that, before changing any settings, search doesn't just search your computer, but also searches the web via Bing.  After quite a bit of digging into options and Googling (Fuck off Bing), I figured out how to disable this and most standard users would never find the options without help, as you have to go into the Group Policy Editor (Windows key + R and type in gpedit.msc) and change the settings from there. However, the use of Cortana is somewhat entertaining and can be useful if you practically always have a mic attached to your PC.

Now for the major positives.

It is absolutely gorgeous. Rather than that obnoxious Start Screen that Windows 8 and 8.1 had, the Start Menu is back! And it brings the best parts of the Start Screen with it. Customizable tiles. Here's a quick screenshot of mine for an example (Large image in spoiler tags because I use dual screens)

Spd5vMV.png

If you have more icons than this or larger icons (You can see most of them are sized as "Small" whereas the folder shortcut is a "Medium") and it goes past what fits there, you can scroll on that frame on the right or you can open the Start Menu larger by using the icon on the top right corner and is will look like such:

dWvmKvb.png

Also, you can see from those two screenshots that you can group these icons and name the groups for better organization.

The Task View:

xsKWAbn.png

Ohmygod I love this. Say that you're going back and forth in between goofing off and working. This is a great way to separate the two. You can customize each desktop with different backgrounds (Which I did not do for this example) and if you choose a program that is open in a different desktop in the taskbar, it will take you to the desktop that is is open in.

fA1ZKNp.png

xTsJ4uh.png

VpPMzlD.png

Oeu1fI1.png

Notifications:

Another thing taken from Windows 8/8.1 and improved upon.

5M5JYRM.png

Not just notifications, but some simpler settings are shown in this same window as well, if you click on one of them on the bottom right.

Those are just some of the things I love about Windows 10, but tl;dr, yesyesyesyes GET IT

Jinzuro likes this

Whoops. That WAS gonna be a short post. Then my finger slipped.

Whoops. That WAS gonna be a short post. Then my finger slipped.

No issues there. When it comes to something new I want as much info as I can get to process and I definitely appreciate it coming from someone who is using the OS. When you upgraded did you have to reinstall anything?

Ancient likes this

Well, when I installed it on my desktop, I did a fresh install, so I did have to reinstall everything, but on my Surface Pro 3 I didn't have to reinstall a single thing, and I had quite a bit of stuff on there.

Well, when I installed it on my desktop, I did a fresh install, so I did have to reinstall everything, but on my Surface Pro 3 I didn't have to reinstall a single thing, and I had quite a bit of stuff on there.

When I get around to it I'll see about trying it for the desktop.

just saw the icon on my pc as well. I want it but I think I'll wait a week or two and just see if anything major happens then I'll get it. It does look good though

This operating system scares me. Their privacy policy is crazy. They have literally all of your data.

“Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.”

“If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of]it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you]enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spell check features.”

This operating system is a key logger virus basically.

Microsoft is also putting special hardware into the computers to prevent you from using Linux.

People were scared about the Kinetic spying on them but when it comes to windows 10 no one is complaining...

Puntosmx likes this

This operating system scares me. Their privacy policy is crazy. They have literally all of your data.

“Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.”

“If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of]it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you]enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spell check features.”

Microsoft is also putting special hardware into the computers to prevent you from using Linux.

People were scared about the Kinetic spying on them but when it comes to windows 10 no one is complaining...

Linux though x-x

Wow... Where is all this written at?

Found it. It seems this is for the technical preview portion of it. However I'm not going to be pleased if its still in the finished version of it.

Wow... Where is all this written at?

Found it. It seems this is for the technical preview portion of it. However I'm not going to be pleased if its still in the finished version of it.

I can not find the release version anywhere so until that time I will assume that is the official one.

Yeah, the full release is not out yet, and I understand this being in the Technical preview. However, if it is in the full release, THEN there is a problem.

First of all, you have some time.
Win 10 has been on beta previews for a while, and although this build is meant to be more stable than the previous ones, it may still have some issues.
I'd suggest you (and anyone) to wait a couple months at least.

Regarding privacy issues, Win10 is certainly cause to worry.
Microsoft will log every little thing you do with the OS, so you'd better make certain you don't care about them knowing your PC's darkest secrets.
On the other hand, Facebook owns whatever you post there, and Siri and the Android personal assistants are just as meddlesome and eavesdropping as Cortana, so we shouldn't be so unfamiliar with the feeling of Big Brother's breath on our necks.....

Regarding performance, Win10 is meant to take the best of 7 and 8.1 and mesh them into a new, upgraded versio 8.2-- err-- 10. Yes, yes, 10. 8.2 codename was rebranded..... sorry for the slip......
Now, seriously, one of the earlier Win10 releases self-identified as 8.2 in some benchmark tests, so it should be compatible with virtually everything that works on 8.1.

PS: Don't know who is enabling OEMs, but if your hardware is locked to use only "trusted OSs", it is either an option switchable at the BIOS/UEFI or hidden by the PC's manufacturer. It having Win10 installed or not doesn't have much to do with such low-level coding.

Edited by Puntosmx

I can not find the release version anywhere so until that time I will assume that is the official one.

I got this from the Q&A section. Being that people are already using the technical, this must be the date

What are the basic facts of the Windows 10 upgrade?

Microsoft is making Windows 10 available as free upgrade for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 devices. It will be available starting July 29, 2015; people can reserve their free upgrade today.

You only have until July 29, 2016 to take advantage of this offer. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

everyone should upgrade to windows 10 in around 6 months.

a new OS needs some time until it is bugfree. you also need to wait until there are optimized drivers for windows 10 available.

btw. you can upgrade for free to windows 10 within the first year after release if you use actually windows 7/8.1.

Upgrading in the first year after release will be cost-free and this is likely to remain the case too – you’ll only be hit with a fee if you miss this one year window

Okay...for starters.

Microsoft isn't trying to stop you from dual booting. They lightened their restrictions on COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS by allowing them the right to lock 'Secure Boot' as enabled. --As far as I'm aware, Secure Boot has always prevented you from sideloading another OS; it's suppose to...

((http://www.pcworld.com/article/2901262/microsoft-tightens-windows-10s-secure-boot-screws-where-does-that-leave-linux.html))

In short, stay the fuck away from Dell, HP, Lenovo, ASUS, or any other "pre-built system" makers that use specialized hardware. -- This means companies that take an ASUS mobo that you can buy on Newegg and a few other components. Assemble, and slap their logo on it are not going to be a problem.

Secondly, Windows 10 supposedly offers even better performance than Windows 8/8.1 (which had better performance than Windows 7). Dove-tailing that, most software that worked on Windows 7 and on Windows 8 will work just fine without any updates on Windows 10.

Lastly, Microsoft, Apple, Google, Blackberry has never pushed a preview version onto anyone. It may be just as buggy as one, but it will always be the "release copy" that is burned onto every physical media...well, until it's Windows 10 w/ SP1 :P

Okay...for starters.

Microsoft isn't trying to stop you from dual booting. They lightened their restrictions on COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS by allowing them the right to lock 'Secure Boot' as enabled. --As far as I'm aware, Secure Boot has always prevented you from sideloading another OS; it's suppose to...

((http://www.pcworld.com/article/2901262/microsoft-tightens-windows-10s-secure-boot-screws-where-does-that-leave-linux.html))

In short, stay the fuck away from Dell, HP, Lenovo, ASUS, or any other "pre-built system" makers that use specialized hardware. -- This means companies that take an ASUS mobo that you can buy on Newegg and a few other components. Assemble, and slap their logo on it are not going to be a problem.

Secondly, Windows 10 supposedly offers even better performance than Windows 8/8.1 (which had better performance than Windows 7). Dove-tailing that, most software that worked on Windows 7 and on Windows 8 will work just fine without any updates on Windows 10.

Lastly, Microsoft, Apple, Google, Blackberry has never pushed a preview version onto anyone. It may be just as buggy as one, but it will always be the "release copy" that is burned onto every physical media...well, until it's Windows 10 w/ SP1 :P

ASUS too? bummer.

(You sounded a bit hostile the way you wrote your replay lol) :P

I did? :o

But I'm a teddy bear :>

...I've yet to direct hostilities towards AJSA members. But for some reason it sometimes comes off as such :(

---

I say ASUS, because of their Laptop line. And us being Gamers, we'd probably look into ASUS's ROG laptops because they're the only 'non-Prebuilt Desktop Systems company' that came to mind. But I would also add MSI and any other "Gaming Laptop" maker.

....At least until people can scope them out and see if the BIOS settings for Secure Boot are locked down.

just yes. 

@ illutian: Must be your scary looking Avatar; should get a cute one like mine. :P

I intend to upgrade, but do find the amount of details they will have access to worrying. I can understand Facebook; as you are using their facility - one of many on offer(like using a courier, you have to accept their process). But nowadays Microsoft are pretty much the standard worldwide and with that much power comes responsibility (see what I did there :rolleyes:) or at least a responsibility for authorities (Government?) to ensure your privacy remains your business. I suppose there is an issue of when a company becomes so big they shouldn't be allowed to do this kind of thing as so many are tied into it, but I'm not about to try and state when that is (except in this case lol). 

illutian likes this

If you have a spare PC to use, I would recommend to use widows 10 and upgrade to that one. Test it out for a while and see how you like it. It should be noted that directx 12 will not be brought to windows 7 and I think that's how they're going to get people on board. I do think the paranoia is justified that windows 10 might start snooping into your data but Microsoft has been cahoots with the DoJ and the department of defense for some time now so this isn't really new. 

And if the data collection within the OS is true, I am sure there will be a lot of backlash. Someone is going to find out if something's fishy running in the background.