• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

nikiking

best mmo this days

35 members have voted

1. 1. which mmo do you prefer

• World of warcraft (nothing beats the classic)
    • Guild wars 2
    • Wildstar (f2p)
    • The elder scrolls online (since it has no fees its good)
    • Final fantasy a realm reborn
    • Tera
    • Other mmo

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

37 posts in this topic

The one I enjoy the most is The Old Republic because the story makes playing alone a lot better

nikiking and TamaskanLEM like this

Actually i play none of these MMO expect Wildstar in the near future. I prefer FPS MMOs like PS2,Verdun (yes it an MMO but only with 32 players) Ect..)

MMO's are a funny genre. Different people play them for different reasons, and what is better for some people are objectively, not subjectively worse for other people. For example, I love vindictus, its combat model is leaps and bounds better than any of the above listed games. But if you enjoy being in a community and such, it probably wont stack up as high. It's also less enjoyable if you play a game to win and the journey there is meaningless, because chances are you will NEVER be at the very end content in vindictus without cashing... It's certainly possible, but the chances of you FINDING a group that will LET you play with them at the very hardest of endgame raid content without having cash-level gear is next to none... it IS possible though, which is why the game is so good. Skill matters completely, gear is NOT as important, it just is a crutch to imperfect skill, but the game IS hard, and many bosses in it make dark souls look like playing a game with cheatcodes on.

That said, one MMO I'm looking forward to releasing soon is "Tree of savior".

Dungeon fighter online. So much fun

MMO's are a funny genre. Different people play them for different reasons, and what is better for some people are objectively, not subjectively worse for other people. For example, I love vindictus, its combat model is leaps and bounds better than any of the above listed games. But if you enjoy being in a community and such, it probably wont stack up as high. It's also less enjoyable if you play a game to win and the journey there is meaningless, because chances are you will NEVER be at the very end content in vindictus without cashing... It's certainly possible, but the chances of you FINDING a group that will LET you play with them at the very hardest of endgame raid content without having cash-level gear is next to none... it IS possible though, which is why the game is so good. Skill matters completely, gear is NOT as important, it just is a crutch to imperfect skill, but the game IS hard, and many bosses in it make dark souls look like playing a game with cheatcodes on.

That said, one MMO I'm looking forward to releasing soon is "Tree of savior".

i agree with you on the first par mostly cuz i never heard of tree of savior, but to me trying to decide which mmo is best is like trying to decide what genre of music is best or what kind of toppings for pizza is best. For example someone could say WOW is the best because its been the standard for mmos for a long time , but at the same time that exact same reasoning could also be used against it and name another game like GW 2 as the best. 

Imo there isnt a mmo that is 100 % the best but i do feel that most mmos have things to make it shine and stand out 

i agree with you on the first par mostly cuz i never heard of tree of savior, but to me trying to decide which mmo is best is like trying to decide what genre of music is best or what kind of toppings for pizza is best. For example someone could say WOW is the best because its been the standard for mmos for a long time , but at the same time that exact same reasoning could also be used against it and name another game like GW 2 as the best. 

Imo there isnt a mmo that is 100 % the best but i do feel that most mmos have things to make it shine and stand out 

eh? normally when someone says 'but'.. it means 'except that'... but the things you said AFTER your 'but' were still supporting my post, which tried to state that mmo tastes could vary depending on which aspect of an mmo you liked most.

In any case, my 'deeper' point is that I think that it is important to ask what kind of mmo you want when one asks for an mmo... asking what 'mmo' is the best is kinda like asking 'what game should I play'... given no other information, for all you know they could be talking about board games, poker, pen and paper games, video games...they are so effing different! where to start!

Zouledge likes this

The one I enjoy the most is The Old Republic because the story makes playing alone a lot better

This. Too bad i stopped playing because i have no one to play with, stopped at level 43 and i pretty much forgot how to play.

Specially because i joined a few days a go to see how is it going and they completely changed the skill tree, so 200% lost lol.

MMOs aren't a genre, it's just a release format. Any genre of game could be made into a game provided as a service, rather than a product, and many of those could be made into a way that allows for a massive number of people to actively play together, which would make it a MMO. Also stuff like DFO aren't MMOs, just online games, all MMOs are online games, but not all online games are MMOs, as there's no massive, to their multiplayer.

Despite not having played for over a year now, my vote would have to be Guild Wars 2. It's got a ton of content, decent PvP, developers / staff who care, microtransactions that are mostly just cosmetic, good overall community (at least on the Realm that I was on, which is the same one that the AJSA Guild is on), free updates, no subscription service, no content behind paywalls.

The new expansion is coming out and is shaping up pretty nicely.

meh

Wonderful contribution to the discussion.

eh? normally when someone says 'but'.. it means 'except that'... but the things you said AFTER your 'but' were still supporting my post, which tried to state that mmo tastes could vary depending on which aspect of an mmo you liked most.

In any case, my 'deeper' point is that I think that it is important to ask what kind of mmo you want when one asks for an mmo... asking what 'mmo' is the best is kinda like asking 'what game should I play'... given no other information, for all you know they could be talking about board games, poker, pen and paper games, video games...they are so effing different! where to start!

Yeah my bad XD was kinda tired when i typed that messege

Wonderful contribution to the discussion.

I think that was in reply to pheonixShi rather than the op, and I frankly feel that a relatively appropriate response. I mean I know, and I agree that MMOs are not a genre per say, but they kind of act like a genre in the sense that people seem to favor or dislike them as their own seperate format of game like they would specific genres... Even if it is an mmo of a genre they ordinarily would or would not like. For example I love RPG games, always have, but the MMO rpg genre is pretty much not worth considering for me. I'm sick of platformers, but an mmo platformer might interest me. I don't think i'm an unusual case in this regard either. I see many people who are very active in mmos of a genre they normally seem to have no association with.

It's more important to communicate your thoughts to the people listening with words than it is to be technically correct, and I feel that such a correction kind of missed the point completely just to needlessly correct. Not that I'm offended or I think that's wrong per say, it's just 'meh, whatever' =P

Of course, I could be completely wrong as to the motives of the 'meh'.

I think that was in reply to pheonixShi rather than the op

Of course, I could be completely wrong as to the motives of the 'meh'.

Quote button's there for a reason, and is a very useful forum tool to avoid confusion. But you've given the guy an out, and may just say what you said is "His reason" for saying that, IF he even comes back to this thread.

lol noone cares about TESO   :mellow:

Same with Wildstar, that surprises me somehow.

MMOs aren't a genre, it's just a release format. Any genre of game could be made into a game provided as a service, rather than a product, and many of those could be made into a way that allows for a massive number of people to actively play together, which would make it a MMO. Also stuff like DFO aren't MMOs, just online games, all MMOs are online games, but not all online games are MMOs, as there's no massive, to their multiplayer.

Sub-Genres do exist. I also agree with how some "MMO" are missing the Massive part of the acronym.

Sub-Genres do exist.

New genres of games can be made as a result of the inherited differences of a game provided as a service, that may even allow for a massive number of people to play together. Although, that's not the same thing as MMOs/online games themselves being a genre, that on it's own is just a release format.

Guild Wars 2 because for 40$ and no subscription (I'm looking at you WoW, and Archage Premium >->) you get literally everything except for Guilds and Expansion content which you would have to pay for anyway with the other titles.

New genres of games can be made as a result of the inherited differences of a game provided as a service, that may even allow for a massive number of people to play together. Although, that's not the same thing as MMOs/online games themselves being a genre, that on it's own is just a release format.

Think I'm understanding what you're meaning. MMO in itself isn't a genre, but MMORPG is. MMO in that case just describes the type of RPG just like W, J or T would just say Western, Japanese or Tactical. In which case they can be seen as Sub-Genres as they're type of games under the RPG umbrella. Anyway, I think we've strayed away from the topic enough. The thread is after all just about the best MMO, so best game that can be described as an MMO. The title could've been "Best MMO Game These Days" to be more all encompassing if anyone wants to nitpick about it. I personally gave it a pass considering where the thread maker is from, and believe me seeing "Best MMO This Days" really bugs me.

I went back to Final Fantasy XI a couple of weeks ago.

There just are no other mmorpg's currently, that can offer such a unique world to me.

The world is just amazing. Although the areas are divided into levels, they never feel like a typical Quest/leveling hub, like all the others.

But oh boy, do I miss the glory days, 2003-2007.... Still, I enjoy just taking a trip out and replay the cutscenes, hunt some notorious monsters and even finish old quests I never got around to do. I enjoy just being in the game, listening to the music, looking at ths scenery...

And its such an underrated game, considering its older than WoW, yet have been able to keep up its subscribtion model for all theese years, even after A Realm Reborn got out.

For a mmorpg that originally started out as PS2 only, but still runs today, is pretty damn impressive.

Think I'm understanding what you're meaning. MMO in itself isn't a genre, but MMORPG is.

I think you already knew these things but are asking for the benefit of others =P... But in any case, that line is true, but RPG is a genre (as loosly defined as it is these days because its definition is constantly being adjusted/modified/updated/corrupted...truly all of those words, both positive and negative). MMO is merely an adjective to the genre, though MMORPG video games are kind of an unfaithful progression to video game rpgs as videogame rpgs were to pend and paper rpgs...That's a topic on its  own but rather than nitpic people's definition of RPGs THAT much for this thread, let's just say yes, MMO is merely an adjective to RPG in this case.

MMO in that case just describes the type of RPG just like W, J or T would just say Western, Japanese or Tactical. In which case they can be seen as Sub-Genres as they're type of games under the RPG umbrella.

What?! no, not even close! MMOs can potentially have absolutely nothing to do with rpgs in general, it just so happens that the first several MMO games were MMOs to RPGs, and hence MMORPGs, and people associate MMOs with rpgs even though they need not be. They can be an mmo western, an mmo Japanese, or an mmo tactical...incidentally, Korean is actually more significant than Japanese in the world of MMO games. At least, in terms of spreading as far as the west, it's possible that there is more significance of Japanese mmo games that fail to reach western recognition while all the korean ones do, I doubt it though.

Literally, MMO just means massively multiplayer online, which I'm sure everyone already knew, but in gaming, definitions get streched quite a bit. Kind of like how role playing games get warped to countless people into meaning some game featuring hitpoints and experience points. Not saying that definition is correct, but even 'professional' review workers and the like often claim a game is an 'rpg' simply because of the things I mentioned, and nothing else. Take Diablo for example. You never really decide on anything at all, you just run around killing monsters, and your major choices are what spells/abilities you specialize in (and when to use them...and none of them have any use outside of combat).

So uhh. my point is any game can be an MMO, not just an RPG, the way it IS an mmo isn't the game's genre per say, but merely the fact that the game features you being online, potentially seeing and playing with a pretty much unlimited amount of people, and not required to pick and choose which ones or how many... oftentimes you CAN in an mmo, but generally in a true mmo, you are not required to, and if you make no efforts to do such, you'll often unintentionally bump into dozens of other players without even asking to in just a few hours of play.

Anyway, I think we've strayed away from the topic enough.

I like you meat, in fact I'm still waiting on my dakimakura of you (kidding!), but I actually disagree. The original poster made a post of something that is either vague, or osmething communicating a fundamental misunderstanding of what they were really asking for. Arguing over the nature of what they were asking for...is actually on topic IMO, and is in fact productive because it is an effort to better understand what they were attempting to communicate.

MMO in itself isn't a genre, but MMORPG is. MMO in that case just describes the type of RPG just like W, J or T would just say Western, Japanese or Tactical. In which case they can be seen as Sub-Genres as they're type of games under the RPG umbrella.

No, simply putting a game so it's an online service game does not in itself make it different from the game it'd be without that. Look at Diablo III on PC, all they did is insist people play online with always on DRM, but it being an online game isn't making it different in any real way than it'd really have been without that requirement, just look at the console version which lacks the always on DRM.

MMO, and online game in general is just a similar description to single, and X player multiplayer, or what platform the game is played on. Saying something is a multiplayer shooter doesn't really describe the genre, saying it's an arena shooter, or co-op shooter would though, as it does effectively describe the experience. Same with just saying it's an online game, or MMO, sure you now know they are to be played online, and provided as a service, with the MMO part meaning you can actively play with a lot of people, but that's it. Saying something is a PS4 game, or PC game doesn't in itself tell you anything about it, beyond what you play it on, and that's all something being a type online game, tells you, that you play it online as a service, as there are even online single player games.

Back when all there really was for online games of any description was the MMOs Everquet, and Ultima Online, saying something was a MMO would bring up a clear understanding of what you were talking about. Now there are so many online games, of so many types that all it means any more is the manner in which the company behind it decided to release the game, is it a product, or a service, and the number of players that can actively play together, that's about it now.

Anyway, I think we've strayed away from the topic enough. The thread is after all just about the best MMO, so best game that can be described as an MMO.

If one is to discuss a matter, it needs to be defined so people know what they're talking about. The voting list was too short really, and given the large number of even MMOs out there, it'd be a rather long list if they were all on there, even if it was just the more known ones. Although, once I saw people rhyming off stuff that isn't even a MMO, as their favourite MMO, then I figured I'd toss in the difference between MMO, and just an online game, as if this was to list online games on a whole, it'd go from a long list, to a huge one, and be unmanageable. The genre thing was just an aside to lead into the point about how stuff like say DFO, aren't MMOs.

What?! no, not even close! MMOs can potentially have absolutely nothing to do with rpgs in general...

Yes, as a descriptor, MMO can be used on other genres too. If it's used for RPG, then MMORPG is under the RPG umbrella just like MMOFPS is under the shooter umbrella. It applies to anything that is Massive, Multiplayer and Online no matter what the genre.

The original poster made a post of something that is either vague, or osmething communicating a fundamental misunderstanding of what they were really asking for. Arguing over the nature of what they were asking for...is actually on topic IMO, and is in fact productive because it is an effort to better understand what they were attempting to communicate.

If one is to discuss a matter, it needs to be defined so people know what they're talking about. The voting list was too short really, and given the large number of even MMOs out there, it'd be a rather long list if they were all on there, even if it was just the more known ones. Although, once I saw people rhyming off stuff that isn't even a MMO, as their favourite MMO, then I figured I'd toss in the difference between MMO, and just an online game, as if this was to list online games on a whole, it'd go from a long list, to a huge one, and be unmanageable. The genre thing was just an aside to lead into the point about how stuff like say DFO, aren't MMOs.

As the thread maker didn't specify what kind of MMO he meant, it would then stand to reason that he was talking about any and all games that can be considered to be Massive, Multiplayer and Online. Yes, DFO isn't one. 

No quote cuz on phone.

Adsuming they mean any mmo is s good assumption by rule of thumb. However I find many people mistake that all mmos are mmorpgs, combine that with the fact every answer in the poll is an mmorpg, I find it likely (though not definite) that the op is such a person.

Guild Wars 2 kinda lost it's magic with me.  Looking forward to Wildstar now.

No quote cuz on phone.

Adsuming they mean any mmo is s good assumption by rule of thumb. However I find many people mistake that all mmos are mmorpgs, combine that with the fact every answer in the poll is an mmorpg, I find it likely (though not definite) that the op is such a person.

There's a choice for 'Other MMO' with six votes. We don't know if anyone who voted for that had something like Planetside in mind.

Considering how someone thought Dungeon Fighter Online was an MMO it would also mean that not everyone here thinks that anything that's Massive, Multiplayer and Online is a roleplaying game. It's not an RPG by any stretch, not an MMO either.