• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

fridgeracer

PS4 or mini ITX gaming PC?

PS4 or mini ITX gaming PC?   13 members have voted

1. 1. PS4 or mini ITX gaming PC?

• PS4
    • mini ITX gaming PC

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 posts in this topic

yo...

i want to play video games on the couch, im sick and done with being at a desk with a monitor and i dont care about keyboard and mouse games like RTS or mobas and what not.

what's the most ideal solution?

- on one hand, the PS4 is cheap as chips compared to a decent mini ITX gaming PC, all the games are almost 100% guaranteed to work, and it's a streamlined console that i need to do nothing with except plug it in and turn it on. simple. i also have a vita, so i could benefit from remote play features and cross platform purchases that could work on the PS4 and the vita with the same game purchase.

- on the other hand, the PC will be more value for money in terms of the hardware, more functional and useful than just a gaming machine, and will provide a superior experience in terms of graphical quality and FPS performance, and loading times. however, quite often some games on steam will not work, or contain enough bugs and errors to piss me off (this now is not really a problem as we now have steam refunds).

i would still need a wireless keyboard and mouse to navigate specific parts of steam big picture, like when you load up skyrim, the launcher still wants you to CLICK on the start game button, despite being on big picture with just a wireless xbox controller. so there's those sort of things that will require the extra peripherals.

unless i use a 3rd party custom made program called steamlauncher.exe, to create a steam windows account that auto logs in to steam big picture as the computer starts up, making it LIKE a console start up, then i would still have to piss about with logging in with my password, using keyboard and mouse, dicking around with the windows UI scale to ensure i can actually see what im doing on the TV... so all in all, there's benefits, but there's also a lot of hassle.

a steam machine would be ideal i guess, but that's steam OS, which is linux, and i dont believe in gaming + linux, there's simply never going to be a skyrim for steam OS, which means i will never buy into it. so im stuck with a windows machine for the time being.

so what's the ideal solution? just get a PS4 and have the majority of games on a decent platform that will be here probably until 2018 and not axed for support by sony until 2020 and just be done with it, or go with an ITX gaming PC and all the peripherals and going through all the setup process just to get access to steam sales of which have almost no games im ever interested in and a steady FPS and better graphics?

take your pick. thanks.

Laserrifle125 likes this

I prefer a PS4 for single player games, but when it comes to online gaming...

PPanWZP.png

ichig1vsnarut0 likes this

Go for a PS4 because you're clearly leaning towards it way more than a PC.

but the best games that are not indies on the PS4, are remasters! i would prefer a platform that has lots of indie games that arent too expensive but focuses on new games... all i keep seeing for PS4 is remasters left right and center.

With the PC, you have the freedom to upgrade any and all components whenever you want to... if you buy the PS4, you will be stuck with those specs until you throw away the console and buy the PS5 when it comes around. 

And regarding exclusives, this is a list of exclusives released in 2013 (GTA 5 is on PC now fyi):

Gamesof2013-noscale.jpg

I'm not bashing consoles... but a number of years ago, buying one before was a wise decision:

2573905-5875144589-900x9.png

Console vs PC in a nutshell:

25_02.jpg

The amount of customization is easily understated... I mean, you can build a PC in a machine ammo case:

iC5gIzsOsrPX.840x0.Vdef9Kkm.jpg

A train:

train.jpg

... or even an old console:

casemods12.jpg

n64_pc.jpg

The decision is yours.

I would say just go with a PC. You can still play PCs from a sofa too just get one of those controllers and relax back if that's what's bothering you. You can play any game with a controller unless it's a MOBA or RTS.

As Ysnar said, the exclusives for the consoles aren't anything special. I really see no reason to get a console unless you can't afford to maintain a PC, you are simply a fan of consoles OR really want some PS4 exclusive.

Ysnar likes this

hey guys,

here is a link to all my hardware minus the case, on PC partpicker UK:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/pvGyrH

i would appreciate a recommendation on what case to get. from the comments made here i find it simply most cost effective and viable to just enhance my gaming pc experience by moving it to the living room behind the tv. i will just add a wireless xbox controller and cheap wireless kb and mouse myself.

but the case i have is boring as fuck and sucks, the front USB ports are worn out, and the front audio jack on the case doesnt work.

so recommend me from the choose a case list, by selecting microATX mini tower, with the compatibility filter enabled. what's the best one to go for? i want something that comes with as many pre installed case fans as possible since im not water cooling or using any other additional case fans, i just want something small, great, with fans included in the box. price wise... bahh i dont care, just so long as the case is great.

thanks.

One word: Alienware Alpha. You can take this bad boy everywhere like your friend's house or in the hotel if you have an HDMI cable with you and an XBOX controller.

hey guys,

here is a link to all my hardware minus the case, on PC partpicker UK:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/pvGyrH

i would appreciate a recommendation on what case to get. from the comments made here i find it simply most cost effective and viable to just enhance my gaming pc experience by moving it to the living room behind the tv. i will just add a wireless xbox controller and cheap wireless kb and mouse myself.

but the case i have is boring as fuck and sucks, the front USB ports are worn out, and the front audio jack on the case doesnt work.

so recommend me from the choose a case list, by selecting microATX mini tower, with the compatibility filter enabled. what's the best one to go for? i want something that comes with as many pre installed case fans as possible since im not water cooling or using any other additional case fans, i just want something small, great, with fans included in the box. price wise... bahh i dont care, just so long as the case is great.

thanks.

Thanks for the specs list.  How portable do you want the PC to be? Do you want it small enough to have its own bag or will it always be in the living room?

If you want an easy case to accommodate parts of all sizes, try the Cooler Master HAF XB, it has very easy access and a removable motherboard tray... building your system would be a breeze:

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/lan-box/haf-xb/

I have this case and imo its wonderful

The other case I have is the Silverstone SG09, its VERY portable, has its own bag, but is a bitch to build... it took me 6 hours with help:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=345

The bag:

silverstone_sugo_pack1.jpg

For portable systems, you have a lot of choice, here's a couple of examples:

Since you wanted airflow -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139044&ignorebbr=1

This one's rather popular -> http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/prodigy

If you want more feedback regarding the build and case, I suggest you post the parts list here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc

The people over there are very knowledgeable and helpful, they'd be glad to give you feedback.  But make sure you specify your budget and intended use.

Alienware

While I do agree that some of their cases are good looking (and I love the idea of customizing the case)... but pre-built systems are usually overpriced and in most cases you could build a significantly better PC with the same price.

ichig1vsnarut0 and fridgeracer like this

One word: Alienware Alpha. You can take this bad boy everywhere like your friend's house or in the hotel if you have an HDMI cable with you and an XBOX controller.

i would love one but its so expensive. the hardware inside it is quite inferior to the hardware i already have.

the only way i would consider one is if i were able to buy the lowest priced version and upgrade the cpu myself with the core i5 i have, but i dont even know what motherboard they use inside it and therefore dont even know what the socket it, has to be LGA1150 / haswell.

im also guessing theres only space for 1 hard drive. i cant stand a PC without an ssd so i would have to take out the drive it comes with and put in my ssd, but its only small at 120gb, and mainly used for windows and small programs i need instant access to. i have no other internal drive to install any games to.

using an external drive for the games is for me unacceptable. it has to have either a large internal ssd, or 2 drives internally and theres no way i can afford a larger internal ssd for the alpha. so this option is a no go. unless you can prove otherwise.

Thanks for the specs list and everything else i deleted to make this shorter

thanks for the help.

well according to the partpicker list, the silverstone case does not even show up with the compatibility filter checked, so that's already a no simply because something is incompatible space-wize with the hardware in my list.

the coolermaster case on the other hand, does show up on the list with the compatibility filter checked on, so it's going to fit all my hardware in the list i provided.

it's on amazon.co.uk for around £75. worth it? good price? shall i go for this? how large is it? is it still small-ish, portable so long as i find some kind of bag to store it in?

i live in UK and around my area there are quite a few robberies, so i tend to take all my tablets, vitas, 3DS with me in a bag anytime i leave the house. taking this with me in the car in the boot / trunk wont be a problem so long as its not too big and i can find a bag for it.

tell me what you think im ready to buy, maybe...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-HAF-EVO-Chassis/dp/B00F4ISP0K/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433695438&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Cooler+Master+HAF+XB+%28Black%29+ATX+Desktop+Case

heres the quickest answer   buy a ps4 if you want to play a game right away /connect wit friends or people or what you will/ you dont want to spend alot/your friends have it     --------------------____________ buy a pc if you want pc stuff  but it sounds to me like you want a console so buy a ps4 

thanks for the help.

well according to the partpicker list, the silverstone case does not even show up with the compatibility filter checked, so that's already a no simply because something is incompatible space-wize with the hardware in my list.

the coolermaster case on the other hand, does show up on the list with the compatibility filter checked on, so it's going to fit all my hardware in the list i provided.

it's on amazon.co.uk for around £75. worth it? good price? shall i go for this? how large is it? is it still small-ish, portable so long as i find some kind of bag to store it in?

i live in UK and around my area there are quite a few robberies, so i tend to take all my tablets, vitas, 3DS with me in a bag anytime i leave the house. taking this with me in the car in the boot / trunk wont be a problem so long as its not too big and i can find a bag for it.

tell me what you think im ready to buy, maybe...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-HAF-EVO-Chassis/dp/B00F4ISP0K/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433695438&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Cooler+Master+HAF+XB+%28Black%29+ATX+Desktop+Case

For the HAF XB, it has 2 sturdy handles so you can easily carry it.  It wont fit in a bag and its a little heavy with all the components, but you could put it in the backseat of the car.

Here's a couple of videos to help you get a sense of its shape:

The great thing about this is that if you decide to go SLI (or triple SLI), you won't have a problem... and as far as I know, this case even accomodates water cooling if you want to OC.

Puntosmx likes this

For the HAF XB, it has 2 sturdy handles so you can easily carry it. It wont fit in a bag and its a little heavy with all the components, but you could put it in the backseat of the car.

Here's a couple of videos to help you get a sense of its shape:

The great thing about this is that if you decide to go SLI (or triple SLI), you won't have a problem... and as far as I know, this case even accomodates water cooling if you want to OC.

As for this form factor being portable, was this thing heavier compared to Alienware alpha which was lighter as a Slim PS3 or an Original Wii?

As for this form factor being portable, was this thing heavier compared to Alienware alpha which was lighter as a Slim PS3 or an Original Wii?

Its about 2-2.5 PS3s in weight.  But the trade-off is that:

- You have a removable motherboard tray, so you can assemble most of it outside the case, and then put all of it inside once you're done.

- The huge amount of space would accomodate almost all GPUs and CPU coolers.

- It has space for a few more fans... or water cooling.

I have taken it on a couple of road trips with no problems.  But the SG09, it weighs about 1.5-2 PS3s, the bag really helps and I've taken it with me on a flight a couple of times... also without problems.

Puntosmx likes this