• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

That Smith

Need help getting a PC

7 posts in this topic

I would just like preface this by saying that right now I have an Xbox One and am looking for a system that I can use to play games like The Witcher 3 with better graphics, draw distance, frame rate, etc. Also please don't beat me up too badly as I have very minimal PC knowledge.

Recently I have been looking at the Alienware Alpha with the I7, this seems perfect for what I want at its price range. All I am looking to do is get just a PC, hook it up to my TV monitor primarily for gaming, but be able to upgrade it and use a keyboard and mouse for other stuff. My main question is: could I get an Alpha or a system like it that would be able to run The Witcher 3 or games like it (MGSV, The Division) maybe with a few upgrades, good enough to make it worth replacing my Xbox, or am I going the wrong direction?

Also, I live in NH so if anyone knows a good place up here to look at PC's or someone who could build me one at a reasonable price I am willing to go that route. Thank you all for any help.

You could probably get the same specs that the Alienware Alpha has but much cheeper. Otherwhise you can directly buy it, it would handle fine those game just turn down some settings and you are set to go.

BTW: I just did a pc research for the past weeks so my knowledge has gone way better but still not perfect.

Do you know if I could modify the alpha to run games on higher settings, maybe not like ultra but I just want a better experience then what current consoles can offer. I'm wondering if something like the Alienware could be upgraded so that you could get better graphics and performance than an Xbox One without going totally crazy on the price.

I believe that you can replace some, but not all parts. I found the Gamestop video below. Apparently the GPU is soldered to the motherboard. The hard drive, and CPU can be replaced however. Do you want to have the PC pre-built, or are you not opposed to building it yourself? If you decide to go the DIY route, you'll find many people willing to give advice in this forum. I would suggest using PC Part Picker just for comparison for starters so you can look at hardware performance specs and prices from various vendors at the same time.

The Witcher 3 is can be a VERY graphically intensive game. This of course depends on the individual settings as resolution you would like to run the game on. I have a Kotaku story below with more info. For instance, I use a GTX 780 TI and an i7 3.5 CPU. Most of my settings are around medium/high, but I needed to make custom setting changes for the game to run smoothly and I still experience frame rate drops every so often. The Alpha uses a Geforce GTX 860M. This is more of a laptop/mobile GPU. Not quite as capable as its desktop oriented brothers, but can still run current games at reasonable graphical settings at good frame rates. 

This is just  a guess, but I'd expect the Alpha to run The Witcher 3 on low/medium (Console equivalent from what I've heard) settings but you could take the time to customize the settings for better performance. I would continue to look more into this. 

PC Part Picker:

https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Nvidia's Geforce GPU info center:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware

More on replacing the Alpha's parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaARnTp6ds0

Kotaku reference:

http://kotaku.com/the-witcher-3-benchmarked-the-new-crysis-1706485415

Thank you very much, that's what I was wondering, I'd like to get a setup that will preform better than my Xbox and it seems like The Witcher and other upcoming games will be very demanding. I just like the alpha because I can set it up next to my tv like a console and it seems fairly simple to upgrade. I would consider building one on my own but definitely need help as I've never done it and have no idea what parts to get for what I want at the price I'd like to pay. I'm not stuck on the alpha either, I know there are other setups like it from different companies so if anyone can say if one is better or if I can upgrade the alpha enough to run a game like The Witcher on higher settings let me know. Thanks again.

Revision here, if I'm just planning on gaming, no video editing or anything of the sort would I need an I7 core or would the I5 work?

Revision here, if I'm just planning on gaming, no video editing or anything of the sort would I need an I7 core or would the I5 work?

An I5 would be perfect , an 4690k is an exemple!

I plan to get either I5 or I7 for my new computer as i want to get in livestreaming and mess around with rendering stuff.

btw my internet allow me to do 1080p! (See my speed in my signature!)