• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

jouley9

Batman: Arkham Knight

92 posts in this topic

You see, that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about.  They could have just made a table that assesses the quality of the port on PC and that's a good thing, but as usual they had to make it into an unnecessary insulting jibe.  This bullshit has to stop.

Which is why I posted the revised version.

Im not sure but I heard that people had to modify an ini file in order to get above 30 fps yet I am getting above that without doing so. I simply launched the game, turned everything up to the max in the graphics settings, did a test to make sure my pc could handle it, and then started playing it. I have yet to have a single issue. Yes I lose a few frames when alot is going on but thats pretty much every game.

Totalbiscuit has encountered problems with the game, and he even shows footage from another youtuber who had really bad lag in the batmobile sections (at around 14:07):

He points out that having an SSD helps... jusr curious, Seph do you have an SSD?

Yes I have an SSD but the game is installed on one of my HDDs. Ive seen the video. I am not saying people are not having issues. I am saying that I am having absolutely no issues.

Ysnar likes this

Because the PC port was a failure of a port, the PCMR came up with a rating system for new releases/ports:

h5M38jz.jpg

Holy... this works. It works to the fullest.

Ysnar likes this

1409aeab60b4f012c31a7cc0ebaa929a.png

This is both painful and entertaining!  ^_^ 

#superiorPS4masterrace!

#superiorPS4masterrace!

Let's not start this please, joke or not.

I want this game just to see how my pc runs it qq.

https://www youtubearrow-10x10.png.com/watch?v=j30PKp_Wub0

Edit, this pic really sums up the situation with Arkham Knight and PCarrow-10x10.png gamers:

VFT0oLc.jpg

Apparently, they blew up big time with the Batman game, and now they're doing something because of the massive refunds. I got to ask, is Worth a Buy worth watching? I mean, the review he did on Warhammer 40000 Storm of Vengeance did leave me with a sour taste =<

While this might have been made by PCarrow-10x10.png 'nazis'... look on the other side of this and why it was made.

In the release of Arkham Knight, console users, specifically PS4 playersarrow-10x10.png, had almost no problems with the game (maybe Xbox one as wellarrow-10x10.png idk).  That's all fine and dandy and I'm happy for them, but then why port the game to PCarrow-10x10.png if its so bad?

I'm sure that some of these PC 'nazis' also have consoles... and if the game was a console exclusive, they would've got it on their consoles instead.  But since it was marketed to the PC as well, some went and got that version because they want the best graphics/resolution/x/y/z.  But it was so sub-par with lags/crashes etc, it doesn't look like its worth the money.

With something like this ratingarrow-10x10.png system, and Steam curators like this, PC gamers can check to see if the port is worth buying.

EDIT: Here's a revision of the criteria that isn't as inflammatory as the last one:

vp3xjgs.png

So, if I like PC more than consoles because of the chance to make incredible total overhaul mods...Im a PC 'Nazi' D=? 

We're already skating on the edge of close to lock cuz off topic, but no, of course not. a pc nazi would be someone who enjoys throwing inflammatory words like 'peasant' while talking about consoles. Normally extreme examples are obvious jokes, but there really are some people who feel like they are somehow of superior taste and character for refusing to play on consoles ever.

Ysnar likes this

Well, I bought it on PS4 and there isn't much to complain about. Only one case of audio lag in a cut-scene and for some reason after changing Batmans costume, I am unable to use the default story suit. The suit that is worn out and damaged throughout the campaign. 

So, if I like PC more than consoles because of the chance to make incredible total overhaul mods...Im a PC 'Nazi' D=? 

Yes because Polygon said so.

Ysnar likes this

We're already skating on the edge of close to lock cuz off topic, but no, of course not. a pc nazi would be someone who enjoys throwing inflammatory words like 'peasant' while talking about consoles. Normally extreme examples are obvious jokes, but there really are some people who feel like they are somehow of superior taste and character for refusing to play on consoles ever.

I usually just prefer PC for online games, but games that are mainly single player go on my PS4. Frankly, i don't see why anyone in their right mind would buy a game like this for PC when they knew well enough beforehand that it was clearly made for consoles, only to be ported to PC. I never put much faith in ported games until i've seen some proof of quality which Arkham Knight obviously did not provide. Hardcore PC fans always pay the price for stuff like this and i don't understand why they keep falling for it. Sure it usually gets fixed sooner or later, but then why would you still pre-order it?

No, there's no problem with preferring PC over consoles, but there is a massive problem with insulting everyone who owns a console just because they don't worship PC.   

Crazycrab likes this

Some are speculating that the preview video of the PC gameplay from Arkham Knight has been sped up to give the illusion that it runs at 60 fps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE1D_l2JNes

And outsourcing a PC port to a 3rd party with an 8 week deadline is not how you do a PC port... no wonder it was plagued with problems.

Apparently, they blew up big time with the Batman game, and now they're doing something because of the massive refunds. I got to ask, is Worth a Buy worth watching? I mean, the review he did on Warhammer 40000 Storm of Vengeance did leave me with a sour taste =<

The guy who makes the videos, Mack, is primarily a PC gamer (only reviews PC games) and was a long time WoW player.  He's really into PvP, especially open world PvP... so it has some effect when he reviews MMOs.  For example, he bashed ESO and GW2 for having open world PvP in separate instances/maps from the game world.  He prefers to use racing wheels for his sims and gives a lot of points to games that have good immersion.  And holy crap does he despise PC games that force you to play with a controller.

He doesn't hesitate to mercilessly bash a game if he doesn't like it... he did piss off a bunch of people for his review of The Witcher 3. 

All in all, his reviews are informative and his LP's are hilarious... especially when the game sucks.

This is his story:

No, there's no problem with proffering PC over consoles, but there is a massive problem with insulting everyone who owns a console just because they don't worship PC.   

Not everybody of the PCMR is like that, respect is the utmost thing taught over at /r/pcmasterrace but you're bound to have some stragglers who dodge this rule and be jerks.

I'm not surprised Nvidia is caught up in this too, pulling the sped-up crap with the video..

Ysnar likes this

Do all PC Gamers who reads that people don't like the PCMR immediately think that they mean "EVERYONE AND ANYONE WHO PLAYS ON PC"?

Not everybody of the PCMR is like that, respect is the utmost thing taught over at /r/pcmasterrace but you're bound to have some stragglers who dodge this rule and be jerks.

Personally I think that if a PC player actually respects non-PC gamers, and not be jerks to anyone at all, they're not part of the PCMR. When I see PCMR being used, it's usually to put down anyone who isn't playing on PC. The times that it isn't is just when someone just randomly says it. Yes not everyone who uses the term means it, unfortunately the ones that do are the loudest assholes there are.

In all honesty, as someone who was bullied from Grade School through to my last year of High School, the "it's all a joke" stinks of being teased by bullies, and when you call them out on it or try to stand up for yourself they say "Why you mad? We're just foolin' around with ya?" A way for them to put down and look down on anyone who isn't on PC, and get away with it because "They didn't mean it". I don't think I've seen anyone who uses PCMR to be a jerk to others be policed by PCMR members who respect others. In fact, whenever some non-PC player tries to stand up to a PCMR being an asshole, other PCMR join in and put said non-PC player down. I think this is why that some PC only gamers distance themselves from the PCMR altogether. Myself being an all around gamer, don't use the PCMR either, even when I also enjoy gaming on PC. 

Also, respect other gamers, but make jokes about them being peasants? Gee wonder why the term PCMR breeds such animosity between consoles and PC players. Heck, that new PCMR made Rating system even has "Peasantry" as the lowest rating. The term they commonly use to make fun of other players is their lowest rating. You expect people to shake the whole PCMR thing is bad? Not gonna be easy when these things happen. Even more so when people see that the good the PCMR do can actually be achieved without the PCMR label ... just like the rating system they made, or that "Project Ascension" (this alternative could've been made even without the PCMR).

I feel like "PC Mustard Race" doesn't hit the mark and is too weak of a joke compared to how the PCMR makes fun of others. But "PC Master Racists"? Now there's a joke that gets to the point of how some of them act. They go "Peasant", then get answered "Master Racist", and it's an equal exchange. Plus it correctly sums up those who take the PCMR term and mentality perfectly.

Also, sorry for straying off-topic again.

Some are speculating that the preview video of the PC gameplay from Arkham Knight has been sped up to give the illusion that it runs at 60 fps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE1D_l2JNes

Guess the question is how many people bought an nVidia card because of their nVidia works video for Arkham Knight? I prefer nVidia and all and will hardly ever consider ATI, but this is shitty.

Anyway, having trouble hearing what he means since the music is louder than the goons in the video in question:

Not saying it isn't the case, just that I personally have difficulty hearing the sped up voices over the music. But that's probably nVidia trying to cover it up.

Ysnar and Laserrifle125 like this

Guess the question is how many people bought an nVidia card because of their nVidia works video for Arkham Knight? I prefer nVidia and all and will hardly ever consider ATI, but this is shitty.

One of the reasons as to why nvidia is under suspicion is because it has done some dick moves recently:

NeUmBEY.jpg

After the shit they did, I'm sticking with AMD GPUs because they tend to be cheaper (more bang per buck)... and just simply avoid game devs/publishers that favor one GPU brand over another.

If Crysis 2 had that, then how could it have started with Project Cars? Also, if I recall, Tomb Raider also had that TressFX that messed with AMD/ATI cards.

Why do the PCMR have to make up endless conspiracy theories where they blame GPU manufacturers, developers, publishers and even the console brands for their ports not working properly at launch? Why is it impossible to accept that vast variations in user hardware and software set ups makes the modern PC a bitch to develop for? Even if it's true these problems have been caused by dev's being bias to one GPU/CPU brand over another for whatever reason, this problem exists because of that varied hardware, so this is still an issue with the PC as a platform. This element of PC Gaming brings its benefits, but it had it has it's drawbacks.

Difficult hardware set ups caused the same problem for the Atari Jaguar and PS3 in it's early years and people consider those consoles to blame for their issues, so why can't people see this as a problem with the PC as a gaming platform? That would mean admitting the PC has a weakness (It actually has several), but every gaming platform does, so what's the big deal?

I'm sorry so many people have had issues, but everyone needs to calm down. It was wrong, as it always is, for the publisher and steam (another thing that never gets any criticism when stuff like this happens for some reason, do they even have quality control?) for allowing the game to come out in that state, but this no reason to lash out at things that have nothing to do with it. The game will get patched before long and it will work fine. It's a single player game, so it's not like there's any reason to rush back into it before the community dies out or anything.

Why do the PCMR have to make up endless conspiracy theories where they blame GPU manufacturers, developers, publishers and even the console brands for their ports not working properly at launch? Why is it impossible to accept that vast variations in user hardware and software set ups makes the modern PC a bitch to develop for? Even if it's true these problems have been caused by dev's being bias to one GPU/CPU brand over another for whatever reason, this problem exists because of that varied hardware, so this is still an issue with the PC as a platform. This element of PC Gaming brings its benefits, but it had it has it's drawbacks.

Difficult hardware set ups caused the same problem for the Atari Jaguar and PS3 in it's early years and people consider those consoles to blame for their issues, so why can't people see this as a problem with the PC as a gaming platform? That would mean admitting the PC has a weakness (It actually has several), but every gaming platform does, so what's the big deal?

I'm sorry so many people have had issues, but everyone needs to calm down. It was wrong, as it always is, for the publisher and steam (another thing that never gets any criticism when stuff like this happens for some reason, do they even have quality control?) for allowing the game to come out in that state, but this no reason to lash out at things that have nothing to do with it. The game will get patched before long and it will work fine. It's a single player game, so it's not like there's any reason to rush back into it before the community dies out or anything.

Though I get what you're saying, it doesn't explain the missing options like High and Ultra textures and 30FPS lock. Don't think consoles or varied hardware had anything to do with some of these issues. If it were just crashing and unoptimized, then the varied hardware is probably it, but missing options and 30FPS lock are something different.

My take on GPU Brand specific options, it's a type of exclusivity. It's like Nintendo and Sega back in the day, both had the same game, but one system had features that the other didn't, like Mortal Kombat and the Blood Code. It's not like they can make it so that the game will not be playable on the competitor's GPU, since consumers will have their heads for it. They opt for this instead, and is a way to get people to buy their brand of GPU. Difference being of course that these options are messing with machines that have competition's cards, and that's the crap that has to stop. Though wouldn't it make sense for ATI owners to not turn on nVidia specific options like TressFX and such? Or was it messing with performance even with them off?

Just to point out how bad the PC port turned out... Iron Galaxy, the third party that worked on the port, have removed any mention of Arkham Knight from their projects page:

http://irongalaxystudios.com/

In terms of GPU exclusivity, its a free market I agree... but at the same time, given the PCs flexibility, it would be nice if they gave us the option to opt in/out of the GPU-specific features (like the TressFX, HairWorks, GameWorks etc).

Update: On steam, Rocksteady has outlined a checklist of optimizations/fixes for the PC version:

Rocksteady is leading our team of developers and partners as we work on the PC performance issues that players have been encountering. The work is significant and while we are making good progress on improving performance, it will take some time to ensure that we get the right fixes in place.

Below is the list of the key areas where we are dedicating our resources to improve the experience for our loyal fans:

• Support for frame rates above 30FPS in the graphics settings menu
  • Fix for low resolution texture bug
  • Improve overall performance and framerate hitches
  • Add more options to the graphics settings menu
  • Improvements to hard drive streaming and hitches
  • Address full screen rendering bug on gaming laptops
  • Improvements to system memory and VRAM usage
  • NVIDIA SLI bug fixes
  • Enabling AMD Crossfire
  • NVIDIA and AMD updated drivers

While we work on improving performance, we will also continue to make interim patches available to address issues for those still playing the game on PC. The first patch is being released now and the updates include:

• Fixed a crash that was happening for some users when exiting the game
  • Fixed a bug which disabled rain effects and ambient occlusion. We are actively looking into fixing other bugs to improve this further
  • Corrected an issue that was causing Steam to re-download the game when verifying the integrity of the game cache through the Steam client
  • Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash when turning off Motion Blur in BmSystemSettings.ini. A future patch will enable this in the graphics settings menu

We would like to thank our fans for their patience and invaluable feedback. We will continue to monitor and listen for any additional issues.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/208650/announcements/detail/145587678178226617

Maybe it would've been better if they did all that before releasing the game...

Update: On steam, Rocksteady has outlined a checklist of optimizations/fixes for the PC version:

Rocksteady is leading our team of developers and partners as we work on the PC performance issues that players have been encountering. The work is significant and while we are making good progress on improving performance, it will take some time to ensure that we get the right fixes in place.

Below is the list of the key areas where we are dedicating our resources to improve the experience for our loyal fans:

• Support for frame rates above 30FPS in the graphics settings menu
  • Fix for low resolution texture bug
  • Improve overall performance and framerate hitches
  • Add more options to the graphics settings menu
  • Improvements to hard drive streaming and hitches
  • Address full screen rendering bug on gaming laptops
  • Improvements to system memory and VRAM usage
  • NVIDIA SLI bug fixes
  • Enabling AMD Crossfire
  • NVIDIA and AMD updated drivers

While we work on improving performance, we will also continue to make interim patches available to address issues for those still playing the game on PC. The first patch is being released now and the updates include:

• Fixed a crash that was happening for some users when exiting the game
  • Fixed a bug which disabled rain effects and ambient occlusion. We are actively looking into fixing other bugs to improve this further
  • Corrected an issue that was causing Steam to re-download the game when verifying the integrity of the game cache through the Steam client
  • Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash when turning off Motion Blur in BmSystemSettings.ini. A future patch will enable this in the graphics settings menu

We would like to thank our fans for their patience and invaluable feedback. We will continue to monitor and listen for any additional issues.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/208650/announcements/detail/145587678178226617

Maybe it would've been better if they did all that before releasing the game...

Agree'd, but it's a start.

Ysnar likes this

it would be nice if they gave us the option to opt in/out of the GPU-specific features (like the TressFX, HairWorks, GameWorks etc).

What's the difference between that and not turning those options on? Dunno about Hairworks for Witcher, but TressFX for Tomb Raider and GameWorks for Arkham Knight can be toggled on and off.

Also just occurred to me that if the game was pulled off of Steam, does that mean all the negative user reviews go away and when they come back with the fixed version it's a clean slate as far as those go?

Agree'd, but it's a start.

Indeed... I will watch the developments and see how the game is improved.  It wouldn't be so useful to bash the devs/publisher for only what they have done... but what they will do next (i.e. how to salvage the situation, support the game in the short/medium/long term, compromises for customers etc).

What's the difference between that and not turning those options on? Dunno about Hairworks for Witcher, but TressFX for Tomb Raider and GameWorks for Arkham Knight can be toggled on and off.

Also just occurred to me that if the game was pulled off of Steam, does that mean all the negative user reviews go away and when they come back with the fixed version it's a clean slate as far as those go?

I was thinking, if they provided an option to toggle Hairworks or gameworks on and off, it could help those who aren't using the "recommended" GPU for the game i.e. Arkham Knight or Project Cars on an AMD card for instance.

If they fixed the game well enough, I'm sure a good bunch of people would update their reviews.  If they just erased the bad reviews without giving a chance for people to update them, then that would be troubling indeed.