• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sargefan19

How do you value your games

14 posts in this topic

Recently the "developer" Digital Homicide did a skype conversation with Jim Sterling which can be found here http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/07/special-podcast-jim-sterling-and-digital-homicide-hash-it-out/ ontop of bashing youtubers such as Jim,  Angry Joe, and alot of others in somewhat dumb arguements he went on to make the classic gametime=value argument. Ontop of that arguement he proceeded to try to make a claim that the counter arguement only can be met by AAA devs. Does anybody else follow that mindset on a games value is completely dependent on how long you play it for? I for one am for the value of a game depends on it's overall quality because I rather spend my 99 cents on a game that i actually find fun and get some entertainment value from than 99 cents to play a game that is absolute trash and is a torture to sit through

If I enjoy a game, I play it plenty. If I don't, then I don't play it.

Such as, you can hand me the longest game that has thousands of hours of content but isn't fun then I won't play it.

If I get a game that lasts a handful of hours but love it, then it's going to leave much more an impression and be treasured for it.

There's a fine line between game hours being good or bad. If a game is long but just drags on, it isn't as good as something short and highly valued.

An example, Enemy Territory Quake Wars. I hated that game. I've played maybe a 3rd (?) of how much there is total and hated it. Highly repetitive, dull in terms of gameplay and appearance, and AI worse than those fans in the stadium background of an old racing game.

Then look at Star Wars Republic Commando. Short game, but one of my old favorites. A full generation older if I'm not mistaken. Easily better in every way I can think of.

That's all I can think of at the moment anyway. Not sure if I helped the conversation or not.

That's bull shit. Some of the best games I played might only be an hour or two long and I loved them. I have also played games that are few hours long and thought, meh. I'd never play that again. It's always quality over quantity. 

Its a mixed bag. There is no set formula on what makes a good game. The gameplay in telltale sucks yet the story is amazing. The game is then remembered as amazing. In the end it depends on the game as a whole.

The value of a game is the maximum amount the customer is willing to pay for it regardless of quality or quantity. I personally value games on their quality.

The amount of hours put into a game does not equal the amount of enjoyment. Look at any MMO or RPG and you see this massive grind for "the good stuff". Or the point where the game is suppose to get good.

Developers/publishers are getting hung up on how much time a player needs to be invested versus the quality of that time. Hearing it has over 200 hours of stuff means little when they are simple fetch quests without any substance.

Something is valuable if you were able to get enjoyment out of the gameplay or story or if you were able to appreciate the meaning behind the work. How long something takes to finish is a poor way to determine how enjoyable or memorable the experience of playing through something was. Too many developers, especially ones trying to make more open worlds like Dragon Age 3, take too much time creating tedious content for the sole reason of being able to say that their game is long and it ends up hurting the games gameplay, story, world, etc.

Caius likes this

Single-player only games I should never buy at full $60 price. The story doesn't degrade over time, so I should wait till the game goes to $40 or less. For games that are well-rounded and have a good experience in single-player and multiplayer, I can justify paying full price $60, because multiplayer does degrade over time, so you'll want the game sooner than later, usually way before a price drop too.

Well seeing as new games are around $90 after tax here in canada, I am extremely picky about how I value my games. Ideally, i'd like to get an hour of quality fun/entertainment for every $4 i spend on the game. This usually occurs in games with sizeable multiplayer although i find games like witcher 3 and dragon age inquisition were definitely worth the asking price

Both time and quality are important, but I would definitely put quality or quantity. In my opinion the quality of a game makes up about 72% of it's value with the remaining 28% going to length. If you want to see that quality beats quantity just play Ride To Hell Retribution (never thought I would say that in my life) that game is about 30 hours long however if anything that only makes it worse. As Angry Joe said it is a legal means of torture due to it's length.

Legend of Zelda: Windwaker is one of my favorite games of all time, but before i realized that, i sold it to a friend of a friend for the usual "used" price, and i regretted it some time after that. Then i bought the game again a few years later on E-bay after an auction that eventually built up to $130 (for a game that was at the time 7 years old). If i'd known there was gonna be an HD remake for the Wii U, i could've spared myself a load of money. XD

tl;dr: A genuinly good game is priceless to me, especially if nostalgic value is involved. For example, I reckon i'd pay any price for the FF7 remake. I don't even know if the remake is gonna be any good, but i'd still pay any price.

game has value when it has good mix between quality and quantity.Lets take the order 1886 its a great game but when you think about that its only 4 hours long it gets boring rly fast.But when you take games like TES skyrim and oblivion they are rly epic and interesting and also have alot of content and you can easy get into it.

Frankly, if I were to go through every game I've played and assign the value I got out of it versus what I paid for it, the trend would be heavily slanted towards the gaming industry having taken me for a ride.