• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

JoelMattGarcia

Losing interest in video games

15 posts in this topic

This has been an on-going thing for me since I began my sophomore year in high school last year in September. I have played video games since I was five years old and had an obsession with them up until that point in time. Slowly but surely, I've drifted away from video games, going from playing them all the time, to now watching other people play them instead of playing them myself. I just have no interest in opening up a game and getting lost in them anymore. 

Video games have always distracted me from doing stuff I really wanted to do. I've never been able to figure out a way to put them together and I really don't want to spend the time to do so. Right now, there's a lot of things I want to do in my life and video games just seem to be a distraction right now. I want to have perfect grades in school, I want to go out with my friends, I want this girl to be my girlfriend, among other things. I just feel that I need to take a long break from video games and think about my them and my life. 

That's not to say I dislike video games. I still have a love for them, I just find it hard to want to play or watch them anymore without feeling like I'm forcing myself to do so. This may seem like a petty thing, but video games have been a huge impact on my life. It's hard for me to imagine a life without them, but I can't help but feel I need to get away from them for a long while. 

Have any of you felt this way, where you weren't interested in video games anymore? Any suggestions on what I should do? 

Ixnatifual and frogben998 like this

I am currently dealing with this. In my case its due to the fact that for a month i havent done anything else besides games. What helped me a lot was trying to branch out on other things. People need variety in their lives. They can't just do a thing over and over again no matter how much they love it(yes even video games). For example recently I picked up streaming. Even thought I have close to no viewers, even though I know its gonna be hard as hell to gain some I know that I need to invest my time in something or else I'll go mad.

If variety doesnt work out for you, try to take a break and come back with fresh forces. As i've said im currently more or less dealing with this so if you need advice/someone to talk to add me on steam.

nikiking likes this

I think you have a very healthy attitude. Enjoy games to enjoy them, just because your interest has taken a dip don't feel guilty.

Platina32 likes this

If you limit your game time then qhen you do play, it will be more fun simply because you hadnt played in a while and you'll find a sweet spot where it doesnt take up much time, but is still really enjoyable.

I'd suggest you set a limit like "Only play 1 or 2 hours after dinner and thats it" and then fill the reat of your time with different things like friends, other hobbies, sports, working out, work, etc.

You'll get a lot more done and because you have such a variety of things going, you'll enjoy your limited gaming just as much, if not more so

I have that problem too. i try not to watch other people play, but I have to watch in order to see if the game is actually good. I am just saying.

If you limit your game time then qhen you do play, it will be more fun simply because you hadnt played in a while and you'll find a sweet spot where it doesnt take up much time, but is still really enjoyable.

I'd suggest you set a limit like "Only play 1 or 2 hours after dinner and thats it" and then fill the reat of your time with different things like friends, other hobbies, sports, working out, work, etc.

You'll get a lot more done and because you have such a variety of things going, you'll enjoy your limited gaming just as much, if not more so

This. I rarely play for more than an hour at a time, and it helps fight gaming fatigue.

Don't worry about it. There are many things to do in this world and maybe video games just aren't at the top of the list for you. If you need a recreational hobby there are many options. There's no requirement that it has to be video games. I also agree with Chumbry42. When I was a kid I could sit in front of my computer and game all day. Not anymore.

If you prefer to do other things at the moment, then go do those other things! Nothing wrong with not playing video games if you don't feel like playing video games. Just play them whenever there's a new game coming out that you're really excited about, for example. 

ill give you stupid example but still valid:if you fap all day and a beautiful girl walks around you you wont be impressed.Its the same with video games.
and i dont know how old are you but i have the highest grades in my class right now i go out with my friends and etc and i still have plenty of time for games.

This has been an on-going thing for me since I began my sophomore year in high school last year in September. I have played video games since I was five years old and had an obsession with them up until that point in time. Slowly but surely, I've drifted away from video games, going from playing them all the time, to now watching other people play them instead of playing them myself. I just have no interest in opening up a game and getting lost in them anymore. 

Video games have always distracted me from doing stuff I really wanted to do. I've never been able to figure out a way to put them together and I really don't want to spend the time to do so. Right now, there's a lot of things I want to do in my life and video games just seem to be a distraction right now. I want to have perfect grades in school, I want to go out with my friends, I want this girl to be my girlfriend, among other things. I just feel that I need to take a long break from video games and think about my them and my life. 

That's not to say I dislike video games. I still have a love for them, I just find it hard to want to play or watch them anymore without feeling like I'm forcing myself to do so. This may seem like a petty thing, but video games have been a huge impact on my life. It's hard for me to imagine a life without them, but I can't help but feel I need to get away from them for a long while. 

Have any of you felt this way, where you weren't interested in video games anymore? Any suggestions on what I should do? 

I kinda feel the same way, but honestly I think it's because I've got a 30+ game backlog (damn you Steam sales!).  Add in MMOs, and I sometimes feel I'm only playing a game because I'm forcing myself to play it.  Of course that feeling goes away whenever I play it (except for Torchlight; I just hated that game and is so far the only one I have ever actually forced myself to play).

Of course I also try to limit the hours a day I play a game, usuall 1-2 hours a day before bed (I am going to regret that decision once I start playing the horror games I have queued up).  I guess that helps kinda.

Well it's the summer, It's always dry as hell for gaming.  Which I've never quite understood seeing as this is the time of year when most people have more free time, you'd think the publishers would try to take advantage of that!  But that's another issue, my point is it's common to feel like this sometimes, don't worry about it to much.

nikiking likes this

I've just pretty much lost complete interest. When I was watching the Bethesda E3 conference and saw Fallout 4, for a while, I was hyped to all hell. I was gonna pre-order that shit, play it all day, lose sleep over it, all of that jazz. But after a few days, the hype I felt died down and since I haven't felt like ever picking up Fallout 4, or any game for that matter. Unless it's F2P, in which case I just play it for about 10 minutes then uninstall.

You might just need to take a break from them. Focus on the things you do care about. Video game won't go anywhere and when you decide to play something again it will probably be easy to find something that interests you.

but honestly I think it's because I've got a 30+ game backlog (damn you Steam sales!

I wish I only had 30.

TamaskanLEM likes this

i dont wanna be rude but can you stop with this bullshit.Its summer goddammit and the fact that some of you who are still young and have summer vacation and have nothing to do all day is the reason to be bored.Right now i feel bored even if i stay in my house no matter what i do.So pls go outside a bit and stop looking for trouble just because you are bored.

i dont wanna be rude but can you stop with this bullshit.Its summer goddammit and the fact that some of you who are still young and have summer vacation and have nothing to do all day is the reason to be bored.Right now i feel bored even if i stay in my house no matter what i do.So pls go outside a bit and stop looking for trouble just because you are bored.

When did I say I had nothing else to do? All I said was that I've been losing interest in video games. I'm bored of video games, nothing else.