• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

argetlam350

Dark Souls III

255 posts in this topic

Yes indeed, as they say, on pilgrimage.

The fire fades

And the lords have no thrones....

-Atmosphere gives up influence from the past Souls-esque games Miyazaki has worked on. The brief area that shows prison cells screams Tower of Latria from Demon's Souls, while the rest of the game feels a mixture of Dark Souls and Bloodborne's atmosphere.

-Combat seems faster then past Souls games, hopefully not as fast as Bloodborne I feel since we are going back to shield and armor. The speed could also be do to the fact it seems the build could be a light build, hard to say without hands on feel really.

-Armor looks like elite knight armor on the player yet the helmet has a more similar shape to the Flute Helmet from Demon's Souls interestingly. I'm assuming this is going to be the main guy we see in the trailer similar to how for Demon's Souls it was the Flute Set in trailers, Dark Souls a lot of Elite Knight set, and Dark Souls 2 showed off the Faraam Set for most showings. Could represent an NPC like it did in Demon's Souls or Dark Souls or merely is just for show.

-We see a glimpse of a mechanic that TheKnow told us about which is seemingly the ability to create our own bonfires. There is probably more to it then meets the eye but without really any information on it we can only speculate.

-Brief look at the new combat stance system, the swords art system, with a show of weapon moves that seem to be more unique for the weapon the player is using. Still know little on it so we shall have to see it more to fully understand what it shall mean for gameplay. Supposedly the sword art system gives three unique stances for each weapon so it means quite a bit of variety.

-Enemies seen in the trailer seem to range from the typical hollow enemies we have seen in previous games along with some new twisted monstrosities (like that creepy thing in the prison cell that we get a glimpse of). I'm curious with what the giant face thing we see briefly. Is it friend or foe. Does it have a connection to the large enemy that is attacking the player while they are walking across some form of bridge or wall? Is it a boss?

-The next part is mentioning of the bosses or speculation of bosses beginning with the big guy that seems to attack the player while they are trying to traverse some form of bridge or ruins. Perhaps this is a boss, maybe it works similar to the boss fights like the Dragon God from Demon's Souls or Bed of Chaos from Dark Souls? Or it could just be an obstacle in your way. The second boss we get to see is a boss very similar to a Dark Souls boss. It appears to be an armored person, perhaps some form of knight but it fights on all fours with the weapon, a mace, in its mouth. Very similar to Sif. Now Dark Souls 2 how a Sif 2.0 boss that was poorly executed but this guy seems rather interestng because the normal strategy with Sif will not work with this guy. The usual strategy with Sif is to get under him and attack his legs but this boss is so low to the ground you can't get under him and being as fast as it seems it is, staying behind him will be tricky. Going to keep you on your toes. The third boss we see is one we have heard about back at E3. The Dancer of the Frigid Valley and it does have an eerie presence to it for despite being human in appearance mostly, it doesn't move humanly at all.

-Dragon at end of trailer is not the same dragon at beginning of trailer, this is comfirmed from gameplay footage demo at Gamescom.

-Dat music. Damn how I love the music of these games.

Screenshots from trailer:

http://fextralife.com/dark-souls-3-gameplay-trailer-from-gamescom-2015/

SuperiorKunivas likes this

MY FUCKING MONEY, TAKE IT NOW 

ok seriously though this game looks great. For me personally, I like how they brought back the old sound effects of the greatsword hitting the ground.  I didnt like how in dark souls 2 when a greatsword was swung it sounded like a rock hitting the ground.

EDIT: OMG YES OLD BACKSTAB ANIMATION

Arch likes this

Yep. Hopefully gameplay footage will be added tomorrow to the thread. Like I said another site has some people at Gamescom who are getting a chance to play the demo there and are allowed to record it so can't wait to see what the demo is like.

While I wait for the set of vids from another site it seems IGN has gotten the first hands on videos out so I'll share those while I wait. First up 16 minutes of gameplay:

Then a boss fight, The Dancer of the Frigid Valley:

oh man, the hype levels are rising.  I love how the movement looks so fluid.  AND MAH LONGSWORD

Indeed. Though I wish people would stop complaining on how it looks easy, same thing happened with the Dark Souls 2 demo and Bloodborne demo. By now you think people would realize and remember that Fromsoft creates the build people uses in these demos and makes them stronger then what normally you would be in said area of the game.

While I'm waiting for the other gameplay footage, here are some more screenshots and talks about some of the mechanics of the game:

http://fextralife.com/dark-souls-3-new-screenshots-mechanics-roundup/

WeLiVeR likes this

i want to know more about that whole make a bonfire mechanic.  Part of me wishes there is a heavy limit on it while another part says let it happen, it'll bring more casuals for my invading

From what I can tell that unfortunately even with this build at Gamescom, it isn't in the demo for Gamescom so we aren't going to get to see much of it. OR if it is at gamescom we aren't going to see it in the playable demo but hear about it behind closed doors because there is also going to be a behind doors demo so it's probably something different then what is playable on the Gamescom floor.

From what I've been gathering the game is rather fluid and the combat does favor Dark Souls combat but is faster pace, though not nearly as fast as Bloodborne's combat. So what I've gathered is that the engine is basically the same as Bloodborne with similar theme of the game (dark and dreary instead of light like Lordran), the combat is atuned to Dark Souls though it is faster, backstabs look like those of Dark Souls 2 though the timing is more attuned to Dark Souls, and enemy health bars are attuned to Dark Souls 2. Definitely a blend of Souls.

I edited my post above with youtube links to IGN videos because IGN video player is terrible.

oh man, it feels like whenever a new souls game is coming out me and you jump to these forums right away lol.  Although I doubt they will do this I hope they have a beta like they did for dark souls 2 for connection testing.  I know bloodborne had one but it wasnt open like dark souls 2 was

oh man, it feels like whenever a new souls game is coming out me and you jump to these forums right away lol.  Although I doubt they will do this I hope they have a beta like they did for dark souls 2 for connection testing.  I know bloodborne had one but it wasnt open like dark souls 2 was

I'll bet money there will be I just hope they do a better job with choosing people because the whole Bloodborne thing was supposedly based on who had platinumed every game or whatever yet there were plenty of people who never touched a Souls game who got in and didn't even play the demo so I hope they have a better selection process if there is one because Bloodborne's selection process was just bad.

As for Souls news well hey we have to keep everyone inform, if not us then who? XD

you mean, you have to keep us informed.  You beat me to like every news thing that comes up lol.  

Well speaking on news of Dark Souls 3. I have an update on that number under the health and stamina in the tech demo. Apparently the Sword Art System, that new system that gives unique stances to weapons (supposedly three per weapon, that's just rumor), will be limited meaning that we will only get to use the stance for a certain amount of swings. It refills at bonfires seemingly but how many you start with and if it gets leveled up as you progress through the game to provide more chances to use it, we still don't know.

I can honestly say, without a shadow of a doubt, that I am excited for Dark Souls III. :D The visuals are brilliant, the combat looks like ludicrous fun to go alongside the typical Dark Souls Difficulty of "Break your nads with a Hammer" Hard, I say, it actually gets me hyped up, but for once with good reason. :)

Also, these new mechanics look really interesting and could be quite fun too. Also, the speedier looking pace is probably due to a combo of the build and actual gameplay speed adjustments. This is a blend of the Souls games with a bit of Bloodborne thrown in and I like it. :D (Let us hope a certain part of Bloodborne doesn't get in: Boss fights glitching out and using only one or two attacks.)

I can honestly say, without a shadow of a doubt, that I am excited for Dark Souls III. :D The visuals are brilliant, the combat looks like ludicrous fun to go alongside the typical Dark Souls Difficulty of "Break your nads with a Hammer" Hard, I say, it actually gets me hyped up, but for once with good reason. :)

Also, these new mechanics look really interesting and could be quite fun too. Also, the speedier looking pace is probably due to a combo of the build and actual gameplay speed adjustments. This is a blend of the Souls games with a bit of Bloodborne thrown in and I like it. :D (Let us hope a certain part of Bloodborne doesn't get in: Boss fights glitching out and using only one or two attacks.)

I never fought the wet nurse correctly.  Fought her 3 times and she always bugged out and did that same swinging swords move always.  That sucked :(

I never fought the wet nurse correctly.  Fought her 3 times and she always bugged out and did that same swinging swords move always.  That sucked :(

Oh gods, I recall seeing that....that seriously sucked hard. :(

You have to wonder...what causes A.I Issues such as that?

I never really ran into the issue with the bosses doing the same move over and over again. Would of maybe made Ebrietas easy if I could of gotten her to just repeatedly do her head slam move.

Anyways a few more tidbits to talk about. So that Dragon we see in the tech demo, that upper area apparently has some goodies that might help players out.

Rolling seems to actually be locked in the tech demo, could be tied to how powerful they made the build for the demo but so far it seems there is no way to change the roll that we see in the tech demo. Probably will be the same in the full game I imagine like Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 with light roll, medium roll, and heavy roll.

A thing bothering me is people complaining about the bosses we got to see in the trailer. Yes they are humanoid like Dark Souls 2 but I'm not as concerned about them being humanoid in shape as much as the issue with Dark Souls 2 had because despite in shape they don't look like to move humanoid. After all the Dancer of the Frigid Valley with its tall body seems to have an elegant movement to it that is swift and deadly making you want to try and stay either close or far range from her strikes. Then the odd mace weilding Sif 3.0 boss, humanoid in apperance but jumps around like Sif or Rat Authority without the weakness of being able to fight under the boss, and it's not slow like the chalice dungeon boss Watch Dog of the Old Lords meaning you'll have to try and stick to the sides probably as best as possible. Being behind it would be preferable but I imagine Fromsoft knows this and has a devious way for the boss to fight against that.

EDIT:

Some insight on the gameplay-

humanoid bosse??? people call a giant skeleton faced thing that looks like the spider from demons souls a humanoid?  people these days.

Well here is the official Dark Souls III website:

http://www.darksouls3.com/us/

I'm also going to say that I'm betting money on that they will be announcing another shield contest at some point since they did it with Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 so keeping my eyes open for that.

EDIT:

So you know that second boss we saw in the trailer, the Sif 3.0 Knight boss with the mace? Apparently people can fight him in the Gamescom demo BUT no one has figured out how yet or where to go.

EDIT Dos:

The game will have dedicated servers.

EDIT Drei:

So we have info on the location in the tech demo. It is called The Wall of Lodeleth.

EDIT Yon:

VaatiVidya giving some impressions:

Also people have pointed out that apparently none of the weapons and armor had any weight stat on them which could explain why the player is always fast rolling with heavy gear, since it's an early build could mean that the stat hasn't been added yet.

The hype is rising, fast! 

After beating BB 3 times on 3 separate builds, I welcome a slightly slower combat. Hopefully, Dks3 delivers on that.

And that boss with the mace... woo, I can already tell he is going to DESTROY me. Had no trouble with Sif because just stay under him - easy mode; though I did it with a spear once, never again.

That boss on the bridge, if it is a boss, I wonder how it'd be handled. Gimmicky like Dragon God/Bed of Chaos? Personally I could see it like the Old Iron King with his platform swipes/smashes. I have a distinct memory of playing some game at some point that I was on a curved castle wall fighting a massive baddie with mechanics like that..  But he smashes down, you get a second to hit him etc, as the fight goes on he gets faster and faster... Though, we'd have to roll through his arm because he looks too big to roll under it.

Quick, ragey bosses usually tear my ass up though. The number of times I died to Avva in dks2 ... Or Vicar Ameila in BB until I got my quick-stepping perfected.

I hate 'em, least favorite boss style and there were so many in BB, though I'm used to them now but I'd rather them get more creative with boss mechanics. (BSB killed me like 10 times on my first play-through.) Or atleast with the waily bosses, don't give them a one-shot grab to top it off with a Big Ol' Black Death Metal Bow.

Speaking of bows, holy crap the guy rolling around with his bow, looked so nice and fluid. I'd really enjoy being able to play a straight up archer without completely gimping myself! (Did that in dks2, it was not very fun... Played all the way through and never played them again...)

From watching the 16 minute video :

The posterboy armor looks like a mixture of Fluted(helmet), Elite knight (Pauldron), and Alva. Interesting, they picked 3 of the coolest sets in all 3 games to mix together all asymmetrically and sexy. Looks like he is using a Dranleic shield, too? And a shortsword with my favorite animation! (The vertical up swing from the roll attack, or the second r2 in demons' souls.)

But aha! Spear Hollow with the wooden shield from dks1, awesome.

Holy shit though, is it just me or does the greatsword look like an ACTUAL real-life sword? I wonder if they combined the Zwei and normal Greatsword, because that's what the design looks like to me personally. (Simply because when I think about it the Zwei in Demon's was called greatsword I believe? And then it morphed into Tarkus' go-to weapon and the Zwei became it's own. And then in dks2 it evolved even more and turned into the Buster Blade.)

Anyways, do sword arts require quicksilver bullets charges to use? Because from watching the video it certainly seems that way...  

And it seems to two-hand the greatsword you have to use sword arts? I don't know if that was something separate entirely but it sure as hell looked that way.

After watching the Vaatividya I can see that's not the case. That ice knight sounds mean, though.. I wonder if I can get his armor.

Those scimitars looks interesting, look similar to Blades of Mercy. Which was undeniably one of my favorite weapons from BB, until I found the Burial blade, anyways..

And that first boss looks bad-ass! 

Don't mind me I'm rambling~<3

Though I can't help but wonder, Are we actually encountering Dragons this time? They look really similar to the dragons from the Dks1 opening cutscene, I mean, Almost freakin' identical. If so, much love. Getting tired of feeling all triumphant but then finding out that I killed a DRAKE not a dragon.

---

The level designs/atmosphere look great though! Making me want it NOW rather than later... Good levels and good animations..

Buckle up because it's going to be one hell of a ride. Because there's nothing like playing through a fresh souls game for the first time.

--- EDIT!

Here's an Oroboro video Q&A about Combat in Dks3 and some general things:

And how I handle hype : 

I doodle my main OC in the game's Armor! (though I'm going to shade it, just so, so very tired.)dks3_oroi_lineart__by_weliver-d94jzyj.pn

Edited by WeLiVeR

I hope the 3 stance thing is made in mind partially to grant a variety of physical damage types to weapons. For example, giving a stab to the bastard sword, or turning the heavy attack on the claymore intk a slash, that sort of thing.

I also hope they dont favor one element over another so dang mucb like blunt in DS2

I hope the 3 stance thing is made in mind partially to grant a variety of physical damage types to weapons. For example, giving a stab to the bastard sword, or turning the heavy attack on the claymore intk a slash, that sort of thing.

I also hope they dont favor one element over another so dang mucb like blunt in DS2

Well the three stance thing isn't comfirmed, could just be one for each weapon, just rumor and the more I hear it more it sounds like some weapons will have more then one while others will only have one so it seems to depend on the weapon on how many sword art moves it has.

The hype is rising, fast! 

After beating BB 3 times on 3 separate builds, I welcome a slightly slower combat. Hopefully, Dks3 delivers on that.

And that boss with the mace... woo, I can already tell he is going to DESTROY me. Had no trouble with Sif because just stay under him - easy mode; though I did it with a spear once, never again.

That boss on the bridge, if it is a boss, I wonder how it'd be handled. Gimmicky like Dragon God/Bed of Chaos? Personally I could see it like the Old Iron King with his platform swipes/smashes. I have a distinct memory of playing some game at some point that I was on a curved castle wall fighting a massive baddie with mechanics like that..  But he smashes down, you get a second to hit him etc, as the fight goes on he gets faster and faster... Though, we'd have to roll through his arm because he looks too big to roll under it.

Quick, ragey bosses usually tear my ass up though. The number of times I died to Avva in dks2 ... Or Vicar Ameila in BB until I got my quick-stepping perfected.

I hate 'em, least favorite boss style and there were so many in BB, though I'm used to them now but I'd rather them get more creative with boss mechanics. (BSB killed me like 10 times on my first play-through.) Or atleast with the waily bosses, don't give them a one-shot grab to top it off with a Big Ol' Black Death Metal Bow.

Speaking of bows, holy crap the guy rolling around with his bow, looked so nice and fluid. I'd really enjoy being able to play a straight up archer without completely gimping myself! (Did that in dks2, it was not very fun... Played all the way through and never played them again...)

From watching the 16 minute video :

The posterboy armor looks like a mixture of Fluted(helmet), Elite knight (Pauldron), and Alva. Interesting, they picked 3 of the coolest sets in all 3 games to mix together all asymmetrically and sexy. Looks like he is using a Dranleic shield, too? And a shortsword with my favorite animation! (The vertical up swing from the roll attack, or the second r2 in demons' souls.)

But aha! Spear Hollow with the wooden shield from dks1, awesome.

Holy shit though, is it just me or does the greatsword look like an ACTUAL real-life sword? I wonder if they combined the Zwei and normal Greatsword, because that's what the design looks like to me personally. (Simply because when I think about it the Zwei in Demon's was called greatsword I believe? And then it morphed into Tarkus' go-to weapon and the Zwei became it's own. And then in dks2 it evolved even more and turned into the Buster Blade.)

Anyways, do sword arts require quicksilver bullets charges to use? Because from watching the video it certainly seems that way...  

And it seems to two-hand the greatsword you have to use sword arts? I don't know if that was something separate entirely but it sure as hell looked that way.

After watching the Vaatividya I can see that's not the case. That ice knight sounds mean, though.. I wonder if I can get his armor.

Those scimitars looks interesting, look similar to Blades of Mercy. Which was undeniably one of my favorite weapons from BB, until I found the Burial blade, anyways..

And that first boss looks bad-ass! 

Don't mind me I'm rambling~<3

Though I can't help but wonder, Are we actually encountering Dragons this time? They look really similar to the dragons from the Dks1 opening cutscene, I mean, Almost freakin' identical. If so, much love. Getting tired of feeling all triumphant but then finding out that I killed a DRAKE not a dragon.

---

The level designs/atmosphere look great though! Making me want it NOW rather than later... Good levels and good animations..

Buckle up because it's going to be one hell of a ride. Because there's nothing like playing through a fresh souls game for the first time.

--- EDIT!

Here's an Oroboro video Q&A about Combat in Dks3 and some general things:

And how I handle hype : 

I doodle my main OC in the game's Armor! (though I'm going to shade it, just so, so very tired.)dks3_oroi_lineart__by_weliver-d94jzyj.pn

First off nice drawing, I need to get back in the practice of things before attempting to draw anything humanoid without it looking horribly disfigured.

As for Bloodborne bosses I never found BSB to be to challenging really, it's poison is annoying but overall I found it not to be difficult unless you face it in the lower Chalice Dungeons that it is a royal pain especially when the room you fight it in is so small compared to where you fight it in the main game. As for Vicar Amelia I love that fight, my favorite fight in the game really. The boss I would say I hate is the Shadows of Yharnam fight especially on the higher NG+s just really annoying to try and keep them seperated to hit one of them every so often.

The dragons look more attuned to Sinh the Slumbering Dragon to me and not so much the everlasting dragons shown in Dark Souls prologue. Technically still dragons but not the same species as Seath and the brethren he so betrayed.

The controls of the gamescom demo have been revealed. Keep in mind that this probably isn't the finalized controls and could change before release, also to note that this is just approximating the controls for a PS4 controller since the Gamescom demo ran on a PC and used Xbox One controllers:

http://fextralife.com/dark-souls-3-controls-revealed/

WeLiVeR likes this

The game looks incredible and I will spend the money, most likely, to buy it like the others. However, I can't help but feel it is being released WAYYY too soon. Do you guys think it will have the same quality story and depth as the first one? My money right now is no.

The game looks incredible and I will spend the money, most likely, to buy it like the others. However, I can't help but feel it is being released WAYYY too soon. Do you guys think it will have the same quality story and depth as the first one? My money right now is no.

This game has been in development for quite some time, in fact it was in development before Dark Souls 2 was released so pontentially it means it's been in the works since Artorias of the Abyss was done which was when Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne were beginning to be put into development. So that's about a three to four year development cycle (three since right now the release date is supposedly early 2016, four if that date gets pushed into fall, never know if they push back could happen). Basically that means it has had a longer development cycle then even Dark Souls had which had a two year development cycle after the release of Demon's Souls. Is there potential that it won't be as good, yes but since it's not the same team behind it that made Dark Souls 2 I'm not as worried about it and aim that it will be as good.

WeLiVeR likes this

i love that this is becoming a serious

triangle for two handing again? Oh lord Im going to be pushing that button to heal and ill be two handing instead now lol.  WHY BLOODBORNE WHY

WeLiVeR likes this