• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

24 posts in this topic

Hi guys  :ph34r: 

In here i will list some general tips to stream related things (this means stuff that in MY opinion is good),

i will also give a description to WHY i believe its a good advice.

so let´s start with the list:

(not in any specific order)

1. Always talk! if u have no viewers while streaming? say what you are thinking!

(people watch streamers for the gameplay AND commenting, if they just want the gameplay, they will just play the game on their own)

2. Have a face cam while streaming

(It helps the viewer to relate to your stream. And have a facecam there, will show your reactions to the game and add value to your stream)

3. Make highlights and don´t make them to long

(You can get new followers even when you are offline, the first thing they check will be your highlights. But DON`T make them to long, personally i try to make them under 3 min, i don´t want them to feel like they are wasting their time watching to long clips)

4. Personalize your stream profile by adding text and artwork, but don´t overdo it with text. keep it simple.

(That will tell people a bit more about you and your stream, and i feel TOO much text will make it feel to much of a hassle to read)

5. Have VOD´s ON! 

(If you are applying for a team/twitch partnership, they/we NEED to see your previous stream to be able to determine if you are a good fit for the team/partnership)

6. Use Ankhbot as your bot.

(Its simply the best bot i´v used out there, its free, and does everything Moobot/Nightboot and Deepbot does combined... and its free!)

7. Make a schedule that show your follower when you stream!

(This gives your follower something of a general idea of when you stream, it don´t have to be an EXACT schedule, but give them some kind of indication of when you usually stream)

8. Make a twitter account and use it!

(Announce your next stream and events, reply to followers who have question. That way your followers will have more information, and you will engage them more)

9. DON`T start streaming with to high expectations.

(if you start streaming to get donations and become partnered, you starting for the wrong reasons. Getting followers will usually take time, a lot of people will celebrate their 100th follower 1 year after starting to stream, getting famous on twitch over a week never happens)

10. If you play games WITH your viewers and use Skype, set up a PROXY server.

(Some people target random streamers to DDOS, and getting your IP adress from Skype is super easy, setting up proxy will help you in protecting your IP adress)

11. Have one game you play regularly if you are a diversity streamer.

(This helps new streamer to build a follower base that can expect more of that one game they really enjoy)

12. Try to get in contact with other streamers to do co-streams.

(this will increase your exposure and u might get followers who would never have seen you otherwise)

13. Don´t let trolls and other disrespectful viewers get to you.

(It´s the internet after all, EVERYONE will be up against trolls and immature viewers who will threat to DDOS you every once and again. Just insta ban them and show them that you don´t care, they are LOOKING for a reaction, don´t give them one)

14. Play game YOU enjoy!

(When you play a game you hate viewers WILL notice that you aren´t as engaging as you usually are etc, play a game that you have fun playing! it will show in the way you act and respond to the game, and you will have a happier time streaming)

15. When modding a viewer take one that have been in there for some time, and make a Skype group for your mods!

(People will always jump in and ask to be a mod just for the sake of having that shield. make sure you add people YOU would like from the beginning. And have that Skype group so you can talk to your mods when you arent streaming, and THEY can talk to each other WHILE you are streaming. some information you don´t want your viewers to see, Skype will make sure that only the people you/the mods want, will see that information)

Thanks for reading! and i hope this will help some new aspiring streamers, as i said before, these are MY suggestions, and this is stuff that have worked for me. I will be updating this post as time goes on!

and as always! if you have any questions don´t hesitate to ask me! 

Edited by Ravenfist

All great tips. 

Tip #4 is a good one. I tend to be very verbose, so that's something I need to work on. :) 

All great tips. 

Tip #4 is a good one. I tend to be very verbose, so that's something I need to work on. :)

Glad you liked em =) don´t be afraid to put in YOUR tips here in the chat aswell =) afterall, we´re here to help eachother =)

number 6. What is ankbot and 2. My internet speed is 10.0 MBPS, upload speed 9.8 mbps, tcp ping 3.0m/s, icmp ping 1.2m/sec 0&packet loss and I have a wired internet connection via ADSl and a D-link router that does not support 100 mbps internet speeds.can I stream via twitch  on my xbox one with an elgato hd say to a fine and stable quality at 720p because I have to contact my internet service provider to change to internet fibre connection and change my router to one that supports 100 mbps in order to be able to stream fine at 1080p?

1. Ankhbot is a bot for streamers where u make commands for chat etc (we have a description on ankhbot in the tips/guide section)

2. I belive that would be enough to stream that yes. i stream in 720p with an upload speed of 10mb. 

ok thanks ravenfist. I'll just ordered my elgato hd. I want to join the stream team but the issue is that I use a laptop for my internet needs and my laptop is in the same room as my xbox one and my stationary computer is not so I cant stream from the stationary with its webcam and my internet connection is wired. Is there any way when I stream on twitch from my xbox, if i can use my laptops webcam to livestream. Reason i am asking this is because i only have one pare of ethernet cable connected to my xbox and I can only connect one device to the internet at all times, not both?

I honestly dont know, not that i know of, i would recommend you to search on google for the answer.

I honestly dont know, not that i know of, i would recommend you to search on google for the answer.

i'll try but it wont be easy finding an answer.

I would say another tip would be to just enjoy the game you're streaming! I've seen too many streamers play a game that they hate, hoping it would get them more viewers and followers. Enjoy the game, and people WILL come and stick around for you. :) 

Ravenfist likes this

I would say another tip would be to just enjoy the game you're streaming! I've seen too many streamers play a game that they hate, hoping it would get them more viewers and followers. Enjoy the game, and people WILL come and stick around for you. :)

Good one, ill add it to the list =)

Another tip:  I also watch my past broadcasts (granted, not the entirety of them, because I stream for 5+ hours every broadcast). I watch say about 20 minutes, skip ahead to another part and watch another 20 minutes...and just watch myself. What did I do that I liked? What would I do differently? I take note of that and am constantly evaluating myself so that way I can improve upon my stream quality and content. :)

Ravenfist likes this

http://angryjoeshow.com/ajsa/topic/29968-getting-started-with-ankhbot/

This thread gives a bit of a tutorial on how to get started with Ankhbot. Also, it's just a fabulous free tool that the creator has just awesomely developed and given to the whole of the Twitch community to use. It is downloaded onto your computer as opposed to say Nightbot and Moobot, which you have to have a browser to use. 

This thread gives a bit of a tutorial on how to get started with Ankhbot. Also, it's just a fabulous free tool that the creator has just awesomely developed and given to the whole of the Twitch community to use. It is downloaded onto your computer as opposed to say Nightbot and Moobot, which you have to have a browser to use. 

i tried to watch but it is 25 minutes over. I may watch it later, I'l also edit my twitch no block certain curse words and what not.Ankbot may be a bit to technical for me to implement, especially  since you having to create another twitch account.

Ankhbot itself also has a guide and documentation. That helped me out quite a bit when I was first starting to use it. :) 

i tried to watch but it is 25 minutes over. I may watch it later, I'l also edit my twitch no block certain curse words and what not.Ankbot may be a bit to technical for me to implement, especially  since you having to create another twitch account.

He is having issues with the video being too long.

Anhkbot is a great tool that I believe every streamer should be using and yes it can be a little daunting at first glance. I would recommend just easing yourself in to it. Start off by creating a new twitch account that will be the name of your new bot. After that all you will need to do is get the API setup for the program to work with your account and the bot account. You can also setup a google account so that it backs up your settings (highly recommended).

That should get you setup and running. Depending on what you want the bot to do will be what you need to work on next. It will take some time to get everything just how you want it. Hell, I know I am always playing around with settings and adding new stuff for it to handle.

I think we need to get some shorter guides together for the newcomers. We need 1 short guide on getting them setup and then several other small guides to talk about each feature and how to set it up.

--Typing this at work... shhhh :D

He is having issues with the video being too long.

Anhkbot is a great tool that I believe every streamer should be using and yes it can be a little daunting at first glance. I would recommend just easing yourself in to it. Start off by creating a new twitch account that will be the name of your new bot. After that all you will need to do is get the API setup for the program to work with your account and the bot account. You can also setup a google account so that it backs up your settings (highly recommended).

That should get you setup and running. Depending on what you want the bot to do will be what you need to work on next. It will take some time to get everything just how you want it. Hell, I know I am always playing around with settings and adding new stuff for it to handle.

I think we need to get some shorter guides together for the newcomers. We need 1 short guide on getting them setup and then several other small guides to talk about each feature and how to set it up.

--Typing this at work... shhhh :D

I have a gmail account, would that work to back up my settings?

Google and GMail are connected, so yes, that would work. :) 

Been using OBS to try to Stream, and no matter what server I choose for Twitch, I get a bunch of dropped frames. There's also this Hook Conflict that I can't identify. I don't seem to be running anything that would create the hook conflict. I even turned off shadowplay and the Steam Overlay, and don't have any of the other programs that the log analysis says may cause the conflict.

My speed is also 10Mbps up, and streaming at 720p.

I also stream in 720p, have 10 up, and stream at a 2200 bitrate. I had the exact same problem with OBS:  no matter what server I used I'd get tons of dropped frames. And I'd get hook conflicts as well (dunno if I still get them, but they haven't caused streaming problems for me if that is the case). A lot of it has to do with your ISP...mine was Mediacom, and they provided me with this shitty modem that made my 10 up go down to .40, at times. I had to buy my own modem and router (separate modem and router; the combo modem/router always gave me streaming problems). Voila. No more dropped frames. I even get higher than my up speed at times.

I don't know if that will help you, but that's what helped me. :)

RuneX likes this

I also stream in 720p, have 10 up, and stream at a 2200 bitrate. I had the exact same problem with OBS:  no matter what server I used I'd get tons of dropped frames. And I'd get hook conflicts as well (dunno if I still get them, but they haven't caused streaming problems for me if that is the case). A lot of it has to do with your ISP...mine was Mediacom, and they provided me with this shitty modem that made my 10 up go down to .40, at times. I had to buy my own modem and router (separate modem and router; the combo modem/router always gave me streaming problems). Voila. No more dropped frames. I even get higher than my up speed at times.

I don't know if that will help you, but that's what helped me. :)

Unfortunately for me the ISP isn't the case. I'm getting the speeds I'm supposed to be getting according to speedtest. Even if I weren't, the modem they gave me, is the only one approved to get the optimal speed of the service I'm getting. Think it's also the only modem approved in Ontario for this speed too.

I'm also trying alternative software like Elgato's Game Capture HD 3.0. I lowered the bitrate for it to 14.0, changed the encoding quality to the lowest, and so on. I get messages like "Can't render 60 FPS" and "Low Bandwidth".

Hmm. 

That is so weird. 

I wish I could be of more help...I'm sorry. :(