• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shepardssn7

Gw2 is it dying?

91 posts in this topic

I personally love gw2 as a game its inovative,well excecuted and just epic overall,everything fits in perfectly and the whole thing is oozing briliance.But i have a theory...a grim one and any replies would be greatly apreaceated.(sorry for any spelling mistakes , am trying ). Is the guild wars payment model slowly killing the game? Is there any reason for someone that finished guild wars to revisit it? Do veterans belong there or is gw2 to accesible and a casual fest where skill is not required to a great extent and "noobs" cannot be distinguished from veterans..Does a person have any motive to play gw2 if there is no subscription holding him back...Am just saying that this payment model in combination  with the realy original , dont get me wrong, gameplay that  after a certain period of time gets repetitive, is slowly grinding down the gw2 comunity.  Again this topic is meant to cause no harm for the game Gw2 , its just my twisted point of view and if so i would realy like for someone to illuminate me on this matter . thank you all. Long live The angry army,Long live Joe and to all my brothers out there Live long and die well. Hail!

This is how MMOs work. They shoot up in players, then people start to leave. Then they reach a steady amount of players. Every time a WOW expansion comes out they shoot up in subscirptions then once people finish it they start leaving. People say "oh its dying" but then they are at a steady subscriber amount, repeat. 

Chivalric Death likes this

True, you get bored after a time. That happenes with most games but I still like the WvW so I still play it every now and then for fun :)

Anyone playing on Gunnars hold here? If not where were you guys playing before it died out in this community? (if it now did die)

Last I logged into Guild Wars 2, which was yesterday, my server was like a ghost town.  I ran all around Lion's Arch and only ran into 4 other players.  Could be how late I logged in which was around 3 or 4 am in the morning or just my server Devona's Rest.  

Hmm... well here on EU servers it's alwasy very bussy (seafarers rest) teq is always in overflow.

People are still playing the original Guild Wars, 9 years after it came out, and it has the same payment model as GW2. Although there's not as many playing after GW2 came out.

Biggest hurdle GW2 has is not being merged servers like the original, and not allowing people to play on more than 1 server. It hurts the server populations bad, because not many are willing to pay to change server to one that's actually alive. Even WoW has zones merged across multiple servers now to fix the population problem.

I only just started playing a few days ago, but I made the mistake of picking a "medium" server, which is basically dead. It's so dead I don't even know if the chat works, because there's never anyone talking. It ruins the experience when there's noone else around, ever. I find the XP gain is simply not high enough to tackle the level of the mobs in the zones - I assume it's because I have to do everything alone and don't get the "assist" bonus from groups. Too many group events with elits and champions, and with noone else around, they're impossible to tackle, making it impossible to get any XP at all... and doing the same lower events over and over again 50 times get boring really fast. They get boring already after the 2nd or 3rd time.

To fix the game:

They need to fix the population problems if the game is going to survive - merge servers like everyone else. Or just share the zones across the servers like the old game (and how WoW does it), and like other games do it. The guesting system isn't enough when it's limited how often you can guest another server.

They desperately need to put in a guild finder. A game called Guild Wars that has NO system in place for people to find a guild.... just blows my mind.

It really lacks a questline that takes you through the zones (the personal story fails miserably at it, especially since it's instanced), and where the events are, and gives you the proper amount of xp so you can level up to actually take on the mobs in more than the first 10% of the zones. The complete freedom is all good and well, but I already have zones where there are "heart" events I cannot find, and have no clue how to find despite running criss-cross all over the place. The event system is all good and find, but just like Rift, it sucks when there's noone around, and when there's nothing else to do, it just becomes boring and annoying.

shepardssn7 and Contra Mundi like this

Guild Wars 2 is not even close to death.Game is vary populated depending on which server u play.Thing about Gw2 servers is that they are separated in to groups where some of them focus just on PVE and some of PVP.I play on EU and Desolation server is always on vary high,i go there to do trains cause there are lots of people doing PVE starting from early morning but my main sever is Piken Square and its PVP focused,we are vary good in PVP.LA is always in overflow,dungeons and fractials for PVE are easy to find with dungeon finder,WvW is almost always on 20+ min queue cause of overflow.Game not dying at all and Anet said that keeps growing more and more...u just need right server to pick up

Ysnar, Treeps and shepardssn7 like this

People are still playing the original Guild Wars, 9 years after it came out, and it has the same payment model as GW2. Although there's not as many playing after GW2 came out.

Biggest hurdle GW2 has is not being merged servers like the original, and not allowing people to play on more than 1 server. It hurts the server populations bad, because not many are willing to pay to change server to one that's actually alive. Even WoW has zones merged across multiple servers now to fix the population problem.

I only just started playing a few days ago, but I made the mistake of picking a "medium" server, which is basically dead. It's so dead I don't even know if the chat works, because there's never anyone talking. It ruins the experience when there's noone else around, ever. I find the XP gain is simply not high enough to tackle the level of the mobs in the zones - I assume it's because I have to do everything alone and don't get the "assist" bonus from groups. Too many group events with elits and champions, and with noone else around, they're impossible to tackle, making it impossible to get any XP at all... and doing the same lower events over and over again 50 times get boring really fast. They get boring already after the 2nd or 3rd time.

To fix the game:

They need to fix the population problems if the game is going to survive - merge servers like everyone else. Or just share the zones across the servers like the old game (and how WoW does it), and like other games do it. The guesting system isn't enough when it's limited how often you can guest another server.

They desperately need to put in a guild finder. A game called Guild Wars that has NO system in place for people to find a guild.... just blows my mind.

It really lacks a questline that takes you through the zones (the personal story fails miserably at it, especially since it's instanced), and where the events are, and gives you the proper amount of xp so you can level up to actually take on the mobs in more than the first 10% of the zones. The complete freedom is all good and well, but I already have zones where there are "heart" events I cannot find, and have no clue how to find despite running criss-cross all over the place. The event system is all good and find, but just like Rift, it sucks when there's noone around, and when there's nothing else to do, it just becomes boring and annoying.

Players can visit servers :)

To fix the game:

1, pay to change server sux indeed but "very high" is not the best option. I play on a high server and I'm very happy with it. Why you may ask then, Owh I will tell you, it becasue when you want to play WvW it will take an forever to join it. On a high server it happens sometimes that all WvW places are full and once an stay so for about 30-45 minutes before you can enter. I can just imagen how it is on a very high server when all WvW server are full. But if you are just for PvE a "very high" server is the place for you.

2 About the guilds there is a system that some people can invite to the guild. And that could be for not getting to many inactive players to the guild you kick all the time. You want to have an active guild with budies to play with. If you see someone with a guild tag and you want to join the guild you simply just ask him. If he doesn't have the permission to invite people he'll tell you who's the leader is or any member online who can invite. And then you'll just ask him and voila. But sure it would be easier with a guild system to search and see the leaders/members of the guild and just ask them to join.

3 If there's any heart you can't find you might want to talk with some scouts in that area they'll tell you where they are. And about the other stuff like visitas, POIs and skill points. You can see them on the map from the start so there's no problem there.

4 About the guesting system. You can guest on 2 servers every 24th hour. And when you log out n in you'll come back the the first one but then you just have to choose the server you were guesting on and join it. You can do that how many times as you want as long as it's not another server than the 2 you have chosen for the day. Transfer for free would be better in this case but it would screw up the WvW system. Make player transfer t the best server in WvW at the moment.

It really lacks a questline that takes you through the zones (the personal story fails miserably at it, especially since it's instanced),  

They made it instanced becouse everyone has a different story. It ain't possible to do all players personal story's in 1 zone. It would end up very weird lol, and even more unrealistic.

Dragonbrand is alive and kicking

I love this game I just played it to death so am stepping away from it for a while.

Personally I like the payment model, as I did with guild wars 1, pay for the game then its yours, no monthly sub, and only pay for extra things (like character slots) if your really need them, i'd rather not see GW2 go free to play but at least at the moment with this method we are spared the annoyance of vast amounts of gold spammers (bane of the mmo universe methinks)

Best part in gw2 - lvling. When u done - it's a bit of exploration, achivments and dungeons. Wanna more? Go new hero and do it once more (and mabe u run into stuff what u miss on 1st hero, like i did).
  At another point  - u have WwW and few days it's pretty good fights. Later - it's pretty much owning by most powerful server. But it depands... But u can play few days for a weak and have alot of fun (IF u in TS of your server and hear all commander and scouts talking. It's just awesome to be part of it :P)
  And endless stuff - PvP. To be awesome u need alot of skill and good team. Sometimes there are tournaments for real money (not alot like in Dota or LoL, but they have it).

And if u think what Anet not getting good chunk of money from gem-shop...U just wrong. All the time they add some stuff (mini-pets,skins,tools and else).

Well am just saying the whole game feels like a ghost town, i was just thinking that maybe GW2 becomes like that because of its payment model people dont play to get there moneys worth..Its kind of sad when you log in and play and never come across a nice big event boss that you cant defeat because more often than not there is noone there to help you ...

Well am just saying the whole game feels like a ghost town, i was just thinking that maybe GW2 becomes like that because of its payment model people dont play to get there moneys worth..Its kind of sad when you log in and play and never come across a nice big event boss that you cant defeat because more often than not there is noone there to help you ...

No one wants to pay to play anymore. With how expensive other games have gotten ($60-90 for a game ring a bell?) I don't blame them. The time for pay to play is gone.

Still many developers of new upcoming mmos prefer the subscription fee payment model over the one-time-pay (wildstar,everquest), in other words gw2 dint have the inpact in the MMO scene we were all hoping for, no more subscription fees..

Still many developers of new upcoming mmos prefer the subscription fee payment model over the one-time-pay (wildstar,everquest), in other words gw2 dint have the inpact in the MMO scene we were all hoping for, no more subscription fees..

It's better business for them to have pay-to-play. They make a lot more money back very fast that way. It costs a ton of money to make a MMO (SWTOR was about $200 million, though some might have been licensing), and a lot to run the servers. MMO players are a fickle bunch and tend to jump ship as soon as the next MMO pops up, or when they run into one gamebreaking bug.

Almost every subscription game that has come out the past 3-4 years have ended up either closing down or go free. There's just not enough people willing to pay to retain the model unless it's a really good game and you really get something extra out of being a subscriber.

It's better business for them to have pay-to-play. They make a lot more money back very fast that way. It costs a ton of money to make a MMO (SWTOR was about $200 million, though some might have been licensing), and a lot to run the servers. MMO players are a fickle bunch and tend to jump ship as soon as the next MMO pops up, or when they run into one gamebreaking bug.

Almost every subscription game that has come out the past 3-4 years have ended up either closing down or go free. There's just not enough people willing to pay to retain the model unless it's a really good game and you really get something extra out of being a subscriber.

You have a good point there.

Wounder what will happen with The Elder Scrolls Online when it comes out ^^

Stil

Still friend after all these years and all these insidences you previously mentioned , developers are maintaining that payment model. I beleve all gamers were counting on guild wars succes to put an end to such things but turns oyt that that very payment model we all hate is the most viable one both in terms of income and in terms of maintaining the fun base ( up to a certain extent, since as you said MMO fans are ready to change games so easily).

For me,THe game is really great,but there is one single thing that I think it is the reason why most people get bored with GW2 very fast compare to others big games like World of Warcraft.

It is about the Dungeons, although they have many paths and variety,but they are all lack of rewards. Most of the inside-dungeons loots are unsatisfied ,not like in WoW when you killed a boss, you will have chances to get epic loots. Also although they have many Dungeons,but the token rewards for them are nearly the same. If you compare the gear from CoF to AC, the main stats are nearly the same (only a super little different) so what is the point to run a 1 hour dungeon if you can get the nearly same reward in the 15' dungeon? Not to be mention that they only have 5 man Dugeons,no big one like a whole Guild can do or something:)

The event are also fun though,but again, it's all about the rewards. Most of the Reward you can only earns skins, achievements, collectibles but has no big different to determine a hardcore player to a casual one.

So I think thats the main reason why we get bored faster on GW than others:)

ViperX007 likes this

The dungeons are rewarding. Each time you do AC, you'll earn more than 2 gold for each path you do. Plus, even if you already have all your exotic gear, you can use the tokens you earn from each path to buy equipment and then recycle them for ectos / dark matter (which can only be gained by recycling exotic gear). Plus, with the new Magic Find system, I often found rare equipment during runs, with an occasional exotic item. And I only have 90% magic find. If I used magic find infusion or food, I could probably find even more stuff. But I agree that the drop rate could be better. Trying to camp the world bosses is a good way to find loot too. Each time you beat one, it gives you automatically a rare item.

Well my experience with the dungeons has been somewhat problematic...If they are not all like lvl 80 were doomed, i cant even tell if am doing good or my teammates are doing good..Maye its just me,propably in fact :P

Try guesting to some of the other servers. Jade Quarry is always full with tons of people running the events. I just wish I had the time to play. And friends to play with.

I heard it's pretty much crap compared to GW1. The only thing fun is the PVP modes. 

Any truth to this?