• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Ell

New to tabletop gaming

7 posts in this topic

So, i'm new to tabletop gaming and me and my friends, we played Dungeons and Dragons and it was both fun and hard for us, but we had a good laugh at every situation we faced. So it hit me, "i wanna make a tabletop rpg" And i don't know how, and i would like to get some tips from experienced DnD players and game masters. 

I presume you wish to dm/gm for it too?

I cant offer much advice, but I encourage you to start unambitious. Try acting as a gm for a normal game first using a small campaign. Being a dm or gm isnt just a matter of being good or bad at it, but it is also like being the correct shape peg for the same hole. You need to make sure the players you play with enjoy your STLYLE of gm. Dont take it personally if they do not.

In other words, make sure you find a group of players that enjoy your gm style before you work on your own game from scratch, otherwise it will be wasted effort.

I presume you wish to dm/gm for it too?

I cant offer much advice, but I encourage you to start unambitious. Try acting as a gm for a normal game first using a small campaign. Being a dm or gm isnt just a matter of being good or bad at it, but it is also like being the correct shape peg for the same hole. You need to make sure the players you play with enjoy your STLYLE of gm. Dont take it personally if they do not.

In other words, make sure you find a group of players that enjoy your gm style before you work on your own game from scratch, otherwise it will be wasted effort.

Thanks 

Learn about other game systems that might better fit the kind of game that you want to play (Apocalypse World System, Cipher System, Fate System, Burning Wheel, Pendragon, Gumshoe, etc). Watch/read about really good GMs like this discuss how they handle their players, creating the world, NPCs, etc.

Ell likes this

My advice to new GM's are as follows:
- Do not take parties more than 5 player characters if you are new - seriously, my first party was 8 people that were used to GMing using the CthuhluTech system, did not end well - they all kept breaking the game lol.
- Decide on a game that suits you, that you know the rules inside and out or would be interested in learning beforehand.
- Get external help from an experienced GM that you trust implicitly to help build your world
- You don't have to get maps and minitures, but do give them something to hold if you can afford paper and ink.
- The story is about the players, not yourself - they are exploring your world and it is up to you to guide them through the game
- Play a few games first, see what a player character is like
- Practice, Practice, Practice
- Find a place that you won't need to move within approx 3-4 hours each week, that is not noisy, and is willing to work with you for times and dates, even if you have to split costs to do it - your local card gaming store generally has spaces that you can gather and play.
- Get the phone numbers of all that's playing and arrange a time and day.
- Don't do anything too large initally while you get into the flow
- Listen to your players, and don't be afraid of saying "Yes, that will work"
- Don't be restricted to starting at level 1, as a player this will get very boring.
- If a player fails at a task that can kill them, don't be afraid to kill them, but never ask them to give the choice between death and a morally wrong choice - it will always be death.

and finally:
- Don't expect GMing to be easy, you are going to have to come up with scenarios ahead of time and be prepared for anyone that goes on a path different to what you expected, don't be scared to ad-lib a scenario.

If you want to find some tips on GMing/Building your lore I highly recommend having a look at Critical Role and Titan's Grave on Geek and Sundry.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, basically it's me helping a new GM :)

From watching Critical Roll and Titansgrave some of the TLDR tips for GMing were

1. You don't have to go all crazy and make a world. Unless you want to. If you hit a wall check out a premade campaign book and tweak it to your liking.
  2. Let the players know what type of game it is. If its a story driven game or is it a Diablo Dungeon crawling game. Also let them know if you are gonna turn it into a GM VS Players.
  3. Let the players tell the story they want. If anything Guide them to where you want them to go but allow them to have options.
  4. Have Fun. If the players and gm are having fun even if the story falls apart or dumb things happen. I wont matter too much if both parties are just enjoying themselves .