• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

JPWNAGE83

Witcher 3 Combat sucks....

10 posts in this topic

I have played 10 hours at least and it sucked in terms of combat. I must say however the story is great but the combat is lacking as it copies gameplay from AC, DS, and Ark Batman games. This just a post to see how you guys think about it because I had enough of the combat and intend to play Mad Max the game and forget about Witcher 3 due to combat fatigue.

I loved the combat and found it to be superior to the AC combat type games as there wasnt an auto counter and you couldnt parry monster attacks well with the sword. Fighting groups was also much more difficult due to lack of auto counter and you had to be moving frequently to stop enemies from cornering you.

By the way, the game is much more massive than you may realize. Took me over 100 hours and I still had 30+ side missions and contracts/monster hunts to go (that I knew of). Plus there's another 30+ hours of content coming up in the 2 expansions coming up

Laserrifle125 and Psykogrl like this

The problem Chumbry42 is that it combines multiple game mechanics from Arkham games to the signature roll and enemy gang bang from the souls series. While the idea sounds great in context. It creates a fustrating game where Garelt thinks he's inside a Final Fantasy game but everyone piles up on you like Darks Souls on hard you white haired pretty boy Garelt. I find it fustrating that I must play this dancing albino cat who must do the elegant fancy when shot in the face by two arrows then clubed plus...damn drowners eating my chest.

I didnt find it frustrating at all but a decent challenge. I found combat in Arkham to be an absolute cakewalk same as AC games so it was a nice change.

There are also multiple counters to enemies. You can upgrade the trap sign to stop projectiles, you can parry arrows with your sword, you can blast swarming enemies with fire or kinetic force to stop them/push them back, you can apply a shield to stop the damage, you can throw bombs that work like flashbangs, etc.

I found it to be a fast and fluid system that required some strategy and reaction rather than arkham and AC games "keep tapping Y to be nearly invincible" mechanic. Especially since you have limited stamina for your rolls, blocking, and your magic.

The only part of the game I found frustrating was the Archgriffin in Velen because he applied an extremely nasty 20 second bleed on every hit.

Well it's still better than the combat from Witcher 1.

You guys like this form of combat and I do not.  I did indeed use tonics (whatever they are called throwing devices), magic signals, and the OP protection spell.  So I will summarize what happened on normal mode.  First hours of the game is easy and I like the magic thing and the combat is solid.  Five hours into the game the combat is getting annoying with all the stupid food I must buy and oil I must use for the heal potion.  Ten hours into the game I just stopped playing as all enemies by now are just  as strong as pretty boy Garelt and any wrong move I perform is punished with twenty-five percent plus of my health lost.  Last minutes of me playing is that I do not care anymore with the combat trying to be like Dark Souls with Garelt playing like Batman plus Assassins Creed finishers.   

Your posts are giving me a headache OP, seems like combat might not be your only issue. But, heres an idea just for you. If you think the story is great, dial back the combat to the easiest difficulty so that you may just "auto pilot" the fighting sequences and just focus on story, exploring and whatnot.

I do that with the Dragon Age franchise for example, for the most part at least. Just there to enjoy the story if you will, nothing wrong with that.

Psykogrl likes this

Combat reminds me a lot of prince of Persia. Nothing to write home about but not game breaking. Remember that witcher has a small dev team so combat won't be revolutionary.

I never played a Witcher game, and I picked up the controller at my friend's house and went into the thick of combat.  It was not Dark Souls level of difficult or easy as AC.  I don't want to speculate but I imagine the OP is quite young and isn't well versed in gaming yet.

Psykogrl likes this