• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Legolas_Katarn

Until Dawn

9 posts in this topic

I read a few reviews on the game and see a lot of praise for the gameplay and environment design and performances. The only real negatives I've seen are uninteresting characters with boring cliche dialogue and an overuse of jump scares in certain areas.

Has anyone played it yet, or are you planning to?

I've played through it and the characters are your basic teen horror movie characters and they're quite annoying at times. The only memorable character is Dr. Hill; his performance is phenomenal. The story is pretty average and nothing too unexpected, however I was shocked by maybe one or two moments in the game. As for the gameplay, it's an awful lot of repetitive QTE, but being able to make so many choices to effect the story in so many different ways makes this game worth the buy. So my opinion, don't skip this game. Wait for the price to dip a bit and then pick it up.

I plan on getting this at some point but maybe either preowned or on sale.

If you like old slasher films it seems like it is something to check out but from what i have heard it is nowhere close to being worth $60 dollars in value.

Been live streaming this game and have to say that while the game could have used more time to build up to the horror events, it is a great horror game. The acting initially comes off as awkward but quickly gets better after the first 30 to 45 minutes.

I would have liked a run button versus a fast walk because at times it clashes with the characters need to protect someone. Looks odd when you hear screaming and you are walking with intent versus running.

This is a game made by fans of many different horror movies. We were able to notice multiple influences and all were done with great skill. 

Is it mean't to be campy, yes, but that is apart of its appeal. 

HeroEightyTwo likes this

I think I'm just going to watch the Matt and Pat from the Super Best Friends Zaibatsu play this one. Looked at Joe stream this thing. The time said he streamed it for ten hours, don't know if he played it for the whole duration, but I stopped at four hours twenty minutes, and will continue watching tomorrow. So far, like Joe said, it was pretty boring and full of jump scares. The game does seem to do a good job of telling you what the cause and effect of events are though.

I just purchased it yesterday and played it for about 4 hours. So far I've liked it because it's a great representation of old slasher horror films (back to the roots) with a small touch of paranormal events. The characters are dim-witted just as they would be back then, graphics are up there with The Order 1886, facial expressions are wonderful, dialogue is poor at times, feels as if it's scripted. Character development could use some working on. The whole unnecessary jump scares that I've seen people go on about, I don't really see the issue. I thought back then (80s & 90s) the whole idea was to build up tension with the music and then have you expecting that the killer(s) going to make a move and then BAM a squirrel lands on your head. The storytelling I can't give you in depths understanding because I haven't fully understood everything as yet. Though that being the case, they've got me intrigued as to finding out who the killer is. That is what keeps me going and having me want to take advantage of its replayability  In my opinion from someone who only played about 4 hours they're doing a wonderful job with this game.

Note: If you do buy the game, get a nice headset and play it in the dark with the door closed ;D

The whole unnecessary jump scares that I've seen people go on about, I don't really see the issue. I thought back then (80s & 90s) the whole idea was to build up tension with the music and then have you expecting that the killer(s) going to make a move and then BAM a squirrel lands on your head.

Even when paying homage you could aim to improve things or to do things well. There are examples of good jump scares in film but if a game or movie is doing it constantly and doing it poorly which is what I've heard this game tends to do then it's not doing a good job. You don't want to pay homage to the negative aspects of things by intentionally doing something just as poorly and doing it over and over again. The same with some of the examples of dialogue mentioned in some of the reviews I've seen, there's a pretty big difference between funny intentional bad lines in a good B movie, compared to something like an Eli Roth film or straight to DVD horror/slasher film about some unlikable idiots getting killed while on their way to party. That becomes even more of a problem in a video game where you are controlling the characters and where you are supposed to want to (and encouraged to for gameplay/story reasons) keep characters alive.

Forced myself to finish it. I say forced because by the end I was, in no way, enjoying myself. Short version 3/10. Do. Not. Buy.