• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Alexander452

The worst thing(s) about hunting achievements

12 posts in this topic

I love to hunt for achievements, it's always exciting to get that notification,that tells you earned an acievement for something you did ingame. 

however i've had multiple games where some of the achievements could not be obtained for some odd reason. 

for example

The achievement is broken and cannot be obtained no matter how many times you try

The achievement requires you to do something in the game, that is disabled or have been entirely removed from the game (saints row 3 and 4 for example)

The achievement could only be obtained in a short time span and cannot be obtained again (most of valves multiplayer games)

The multiplayer for an older game is completely dead and there is no way to obtain the multiplayer achievements (too many to even list)

This is of course really frustrating when you're trying to get the game 100% complete of achievements and you simply can't because of some 

Or am i the only one who becomes frustrated when i encounter a "broken" achievement that i can't obtain when i had decided to complete a game 100% for achievements?

A multiplayer achievement that requires years of gameplay. Looking at you MW2.

Many achievements in games are skill-based or require lots of grinding, such as PD2. Those kinds of achievements aren't worth the time and dedication needed in order to achieve them.

couldn't developer simply make everyone who doesn't have the achievements that cant be obtained anymore earned by default when they load up the game

couldn't developer simply make everyone who doesn't have the achievements that cant be obtained anymore earned by default when they load up the game

too much work for the devs, in "too much", i mean that they have to put any work fixing it

I'm curious, which achievements can't be earned in Saints Row 3 and 4 anymore?

The achievements that require you to upload your character to the community

I usually don't go achievement hunting.  Usually I just play the game, explore, and enjoy, and achievements don't factor too much into that formula.  Sometimes there are exceptions, like getting the achievement for getting all of the collectibles in Tomb Raider.  I try to get that achievement, because I try to get all of the collectibles.  Or getting the achievement for all of those extra scenes you could easily miss in Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons; I don't mind hunting for those achievements because it's a short game where if you miss one all you have to do is just play through the short chapter it was a part of.

But achievements for grinding my way through multiplayer or beating the game on super-ultimate-one-hit-KO difficulty in under five hours with no deaths?  Fuggedaboutit.

Honestly, the achievements that annoy me the most are the ones in multiplayer team games that require me to do things that are not helpful to the team. Can't think of any specific ones right now, but they exist. 

I got really mad when i was trying to get 100% on TF2 back then, and they did pop up some achievements like, upload a video and get 100.000 views when the first saxxy awards (i think that was the name, i don't know honestly) and i was like, are you serious?

After that i don't really hunt achievements very often unless they have like 50-60 and they are mostly singleplayer or easily 

Also any kind of achievement that is part of an event that requires you to be in a specific time and place else you are not getting it ever again.

They would have to be able to and allowed to do that (for consoles they also have to go through more to get Microsoft or Sony to have a patch released), it would kind of make earning them in the first place pointless, and it would be kind of a strange thing to do. Collecting all of them is just something some people do, the point of achievements/trophies is that you actually did the thing to earn them. If I just got a win 10 games in a row achievement for the online portion of an old EA Sports game that wouldn't be something I actually earned.

Maybe not that because at that point achievement isnt being earned but, just replacing the broken achievements with earnable ones seems reasonable, however...

too much work for the devs, in "too much", i mean that they have to put any work fixing it

For the most part this.

What about physical world fuck ups OP? I remember very vividly when I was trying to get the Mile High Club achievement in COD 4 which you might remember its a hard one, the first time I made it through, I was about to jump out of the plane and the damn power went out! I was so mad OMG. Then this other time I was getting the Firefight vidmaster achievement to survive and beat the 4 rounds or whatever and my GF at the time comes into the room and decides to be cute and turns off my 360 during the 4th round. My God, she deserved a good slap I thought but, I just went along with it because why wouldnt I? I caught a lot of flak for that one though because Recon was all the rage in those days and I basically ruined it for everyone.

I used to be an achievement whore at first but, these days, while I do glance at achievements from time to time I dont care enough to get them let alone get them all. For example, I really like Dragon Age and have completed both DAO and DA2 but, I have not bothered to beat DAI in last difficulty or get misc achievements because meh. Just meh, best way I can explain it. My friend and I used to be in hot competition to see who would get 100,000 score first and I guess were still are but, yeah neither of us have won and its been almost a decade.... Im currently sitting at 85,000 points.