• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

JoelMattGarcia

My problem with Valve

12 posts in this topic

I once loved Valve. As of recently however, I've decided that I don't care much for them. They're a company that cares only on how much money they can make. They don't care about their community. 

I came to that conclusion based on a few things. For example, Valve has yet to fix it's Greenlight system. They don't care what kind of shady shit happens on Greenlight and they don't care what games get on Steam, despite the increasing pile of shitty products that continue to make their way onto the storefront. Probably because Valve gets a cut of the profit, idk. Instead of focusing on adding meaningful changes to their multiplayer games, they prefer to shit out more and more virtual skins onto those games. Lastly, it took ten years for Valve to decide to add a refund system to their storefront. Since 2005, there had been no proper refund system in place; and no having to go through Valve's trash customer service for the refund doesn't count. That's all I can think of off the top of my head, if anyone can add something to that list, please let me know.

My biggest problem is how people let Valve get away with this kind of stuff, yet if a different company like EA or Ubisoft tried pulling stunts like Valve does, they would get destroyed by people. Why the hell does Valve get a pass? Oh wait, right, Valve is that company that made that Half-Life game, has that one fat guy as head of the company, and has four big sales every year, so yeah they can do no wrong. It's that attitude is has made Valve arrogant enough to do this kind of stuff. Because Valve knows that they can do stuff like that and get away with it, scot-free. Remember that poorly implemented paid mod thing Valve tried to shove down our throats? Yeah, me neither. 

I also think it's ridiculous that when Valve does make actual improvements, it's only when the controversy is too much and they try to save face. And when they do that, people praise the fuck out of them. Again, if any other company tried to do that, they would get destroyed. For a company that gives two shits about the community that made them as big as they are today and only takes action when it's in their benefit, Valve gets a lot of undeserved love. The "Valve can do no wrong" attitude needs to stop. When that happens, Valve will begin to think twice about how they conduct their business. 

Shagger and Blackfox Kitsune like this

This is literally the first time I have said, or even thought this on the AJSA forums. If it were possible to give a post multiple likes, I'd be doing that right now.

Their customer service is a joke and thier quality control is non existent. They don't care if people publish games that are offencive, using stolen properties (or in some other way illegal) or of piss poor quality because "We're an open platform!" and that's apparently a valid exuse to pass the blame to developers and/or pulishers once the community backlash starts but valve don't care because they'be made thier money. A 30% cut in sales, refunds taken out of the developers pocket and not their's and a charge to publish the game in the first place.

Just imagine what would happen is Sony or Microsoft tried to get we away with this shit...

And Lets not forget Valves "Steam Guard" that is so useless players can still get hacked and loose their items for trading or in game items. I've had 2 friends today come to me asking me if I knew anything about how to get missing items back (I don't have a clue so I looked around and found nothing helpful), and ONE go scammed on Steam! someone had hacked his friends account to Steal an in game Item from him for Dota 2. Whats' Valves taken on this "Hard luck, its your fault" I only use steam because a number of games I like now Force me to use it, if it was not for that fact and I have friends on steam I would not even use it at all!

And I am not even going to Start on their hair-brained Idea of Paid mods for games like skyrim, where the mod maker was getting less then 5% for their work and the 80% of that was going to steam with the rest going to the main game owner. it was disgusting! and yet they continue to getaway with all this shit. :angry:

I once loved Valve. As of recently however, I've decided that I don't care much for them. They're a company that cares only on how much money they can make. They don't care about their community. 

I came to that conclusion based on a few things. For example, Valve has yet to fix it's Greenlight system. They don't care what kind of shady shit happens on Greenlight and they don't care what games get on Steam, despite the increasing pile of shitty products that continue to make their way onto the storefront. Probably because Valve gets a cut of the profit, idk. Instead of focusing on adding meaningful changes to their multiplayer games, they prefer to shit out more and more virtual skins onto those games. Lastly, it took ten years for Valve to decide to add a refund system to their storefront. Since 2005, there had been no proper refund system in place; and no having to go through Valve's trash customer service for the refund doesn't count. That's all I can think of off the top of my head, if anyone can add something to that list, please let me know.

My biggest problem is how people let Valve get away with this kind of stuff, yet if a different company like EA or Ubisoft tried pulling stunts like Valve does, they would get destroyed by people. Why the hell does Valve get a pass? Oh wait, right, Valve is that company that made that Half-Life game, has that one fat guy as head of the company, and has four big sales every year, so yeah they can do no wrong. It's that attitude is has made Valve arrogant enough to do this kind of stuff. Because Valve knows that they can do stuff like that and get away with it, scot-free. Remember that poorly implemented paid mod thing Valve tried to shove down our throats? Yeah, me neither. 

I also think it's ridiculous that when Valve does make actual improvements, it's only when the controversy is too much and they try to save face. And when they do that, people praise the fuck out of them. Again, if any other company tried to do that, they would get destroyed. For a company that gives two shits about the community that made them as big as they are today and only takes action when it's in their benefit, Valve gets a lot of undeserved love. The "Valve can do no wrong" attitude needs to stop. When that happens, Valve will begin to think twice about how they conduct their business. 

This is literally the first time I have said, or even thought this on the AJSA forums. If it were possible to give a post multiple likes, I'd be doing that right now.

Their customer service is a joke and thier quality control is non existent. They don't care if people publish games that are offencive, using stolen properties (or in some other way illegal) or of piss poor quality because "We're an open platform!" and that's apparently a valid exuse to pass the blame to developers and/or pulishers once the community backlash starts but valve don't care because they'be made thier money. A 30% cut in sales, refunds taken out of the developers pocket and not their's and a charge to publish the game in the first place.

Just imagine what would happen is Sony or Microsoft tried to get we away with this shit...

Well if Valve bothers y'all that much you can always vote with your wallets, It might actually get something done.

GLXLynx likes this

I agree with all of these points, sadly. I'm not exactly out in the streets singing Valve's praises. 

However, Steam is probably one of the better designed PC gaming stores/launchers. I gotta give valve credit where it's due. Valve used to be a great company, but they're really not anymore. I don't know if they even realize they've fallen to nearly being EA. 

Lots of money tends to do that to game companies, it seems. 

Well if Valve bothers y'all that much you can always vote with your wallets, It might actually get something done.

I doubt two people not giving Valve money will change much, considering the millions they make. I'm suggesting that the community that surrounds Valve changes it's attitude towards the company: don't let them get away with the kind of stuff you wouldn't want other companies doing and stop acting like they can do nothing wrong. I have no problem spending money on Steam, Valve will do what they please whether or not I do. 

Valve does have an easy refund policy in place so those shitty games being green lit no longer can steal money.  Also they are not charging for Mods any longer, that idea was crushed pretty fast.

The problem with the "vote with your wallet" concept this time is that steam holds such a monopoly over the PC marketplace it's almost impossible to avoid using it. That's another element to the scum factor, "We'll do whatever greedy ass shady shit we want because we know you'll buy shit from us anyway."

Valve does have an easy refund policy in place so those shitty games being green lit no longer can steal money.  Also they are not charging for Mods any longer, that idea was crushed pretty fast.

That refund policy took ten years to be implemented. Every other storefront has that by default at the VERY BEGINNING. Even EA's Origin had the refund policy at launch. And just because there is a refund system to refund shit games, that doesn't make the fact that Valve allows those shit games to be on the storefront or on Greenlight any less ridiculous. I didn't say they were still charging for mods, my point was that Valve can try to force shit systems onto their community (such as the poorly planned paid mod system) and if they get too much flak because of it, all they have to do is get rid of the system and everybody forgets it ever happened. If any other company did that, no one would be as forgiving as they are to Valve. 

Their support is a god damn joke.

I Got Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Because i waited a lot to play this game since it got released, however i also bought it for the full price because of the DOTA 2 Stuff, else i would have waited.

I waited until Yesterday to refund the game, because after a lot of attempts to let my friend Irene (the woman who was answering me) know that i did GET the game, but i did NOT GET the DOTA 2 stuff, i had enough.

I think it's clear enough, but apparently not for her:

Hello Seyren,

I see that you've logged in and completed a purchase since submitting your last message to Steam Support. 
If you still need help with this issue, please let us know in a reply to this ticket.
If the issue is resolved, there is no need to reply to this message - your ticket will be closed automatically.

First she says that i completed my purchase, thank you very much.

I will repeat AGAIN.

The issue is not the game, is that the DOTA 2 Items are MISSING.

I have the game already, i'm asking about the DOTA 2 CHOCOBO COURIER and MOGURI WARD I'm supposed to get.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Seyren,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue.
You may also submit bugs and feedback to the Dota 2 Dev Forums, found here:
http://dev.dota2.com/
These forums are regularly read by Dota 2's development team.

I may not be an expert but i believe this kind of stuff is Steam support's job, not the damn Developers.

I believe that is not the place where they can solve my issue, i asked and as i expected, i'm not having any good response since this is Steam's fault, not the developers.

I will repeat again, I'm missing STEAM ITEMS which belong to DOTA 2, from the promotion of the game FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 HD

I'm requesting to OBTAIN THE ITEMS I'M MISSING.

Hello Seyren,

Steam Support cannot add or modify any items in the Steam Economy and cannot return items that have been deleted, crafted or traded.

So apparently now i've deleted, crafted or traded the items when You are unable to do this until September 2nd. Good move.

How am i going to trade it if it's not tradeable until September? What i'm saying is that i did not get it in the first place, i'm asking to obtain them, not to get the because i deleted them or anything.

I'm supposed to get them and i didn't.

And after this message i got ignored she closed the ticket.

I mean, is it THAT HARD TO UNDERSTAND? Maybe i did not explained myself properly but this was disgusting.

I'm going to be honest, this is the first time i've ever used Steam Tickets, but i had like 10 issues with EA's not redeeming or whatever stuff.

The difference is, that everytime i got an issue with EA, i went to the tickets or LIVE CHAT(could you imagine such thing on Steam?, Nah), and all of them got 100% Solved, and they even gave me discounts as an apology (which i never used but they are really appreciated).

I ask for help in reddit, steam community, and obviously they couldn't help me with this, but i asked for alternatives and what they would do, they said Steam Support was the way to go.

Well apparently Refund is the way to go because they do not deserve none after this.

And as you guys said before, you are screwed anyway because where else would you buy this game? Nowhere because you can't, even the SE shop gives you a Steam Key.

"Valve used to be a great company"

Infact, what makes a "company great", in their perspectives it means "the more money, the greater we are, the more power we have". "In our perspectives: A good great company is a company tat provides good content,services, and customer support for its products/platforms it ships or distributes." So saying that they "used" to be a great company is nonsense, sorry to break the flame wall here, but, On of valves digital platform, Steam, is basically the hearth of pc gaming nowadays, now that products come digitally, stomping competitors like EA's origin for example. Steam, is basically Valve's flagship ongoing product, and yes it has poor customer support, but its the best around today in my opinion. But it is what it is now despite the problems. MILIONS of people are using it daily. If it wasn't for these guys maybe we'd have something worse as a digital platform from another company!  So Valve for me, deserves long going credit from me, in paving a way to make pc gaming greater than that it already was. Or atleast, in my opinion.

Now, I do agree valve is kinda droping its "holy status" among gamers as a company who makes games, Rather now, focusing on other things, making them what i'd like to call a Multi-company (Probably there is a faaar better word for it lol) I too am kinda disappointed at valve for milking the shit out of there current ongoing multiplayer games, and for maintaining existing products so poorly, (Except dota 2) as they are doing at this time. Never had any problems with tickets though, I send one when I got hacked, got a response, though my account was still hacked, I emailed them at there noreplay email and got it solved right quick. < (Maybe you guys need to do the same in the future lol)

Honestly, I couldn't care much about valve as they are right now, I don't think they are fucking up right now, nor do it think they are doing great work. I respect them, but I don't praise them either. Honestly, guys, All I want from Valve before they stop being a company that makes games, (as they will find a reason to not continue in the game making market soon enough) is Half-life 3.

and someone told me petitions are pointless. Vote with your wallet? Well Both concepts have their place and use. Problem is Vote with your wallet fails when there is a monopoly in play, which is the case with Steam. Don't get me wrong I HATE having 8 or 9 programs just to run games and talk to people. steam is handy for that, BUT there should be a choice, right now there is NO Choice, its steam or steam.  I go to Game (UK's Game Stop) and its steam Codes, I shop online, its Steam codes. IF I somehow manage to get my mits on a rare CD of a game, Oh wait I can't play it unless I use a Steam code! This Monopoly is getting ridicules and Valve are taking the P!ss with it because they know gamers are forced to use it.