• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Otaku World Order

The only file on the PC retail version of The Phantom Pain is a Steam installer

21 posts in this topic

Want to get MGS V on PC but don't want to wait on downloads? Buy the retail disc right?

WRONG!

MGS V's retail version comes with a disc that only has a single 8mb file.... An installer for Steam.

Seriously....

Oh, Konami... Why you so KonamI?

This time, Konami has managed to give a huge “fuck you” to any PC gamer who has an unstable connection or incredibly low Internet allowance. It has done that by making sure the only thing on the retail version of The Phantom Pain is an installer for the Steam client. The entire disc only has 8MB of data on it.

For most people, this won’t be a big problem. You can just pop in the on-disc key and download the game no problem. For plenty of people though (particularly those in Australia), a 28GB download could take days to install, or it could take up all of their monthly internet allowance.

The disc may as well be a coaster with “fuck you, download Steam” written on it for all the good it’ll do some people.

SOURCES: http://www.destructoid.com/the-only-file-on-the-pc-retail-version-of-the-phantom-pain-is-a-steam-installer-308547.phtml

https://twitter.com/graphure/status/637981198229368836

Damn it, you beat me to it!

This is really2 dumb on Konami's part. Might as well have the game be only downloadble on Steam. If this isn't refundable in stores or get fixed so the next DVD batches have the full game, you bet your ass there's going to be a riot.

Thankfully for me, I never install games using disks anymore. Now I download all of them. Or just ask one of the store owners in my nearby mall to extract the game to my portable hard drive. And it only cost me $5 at most and $2 at least. Much2 cheaper that way. Games on physical copies in Indonesia are fucking insanely overpriced, especially now since most games are like 25 - 50 GB HUGE, all because they charge based on each 5 GB for $10, or if you want to buy it at a store that has rude as fuck employees, $4 per 5 GB. Wolfenstein the New Order and GTAV here, basically any games nowadays that have 50GB install requirement have 11 - 12 DVDs. You rather just buy the game on Steam and download them!

Gar-bage. 

This is not okay. Fuck anyone who doesn't have a consistent internet connection but still wants to play games, right?

nikiking likes this

Gar-bage. 

This is not okay. Fuck anyone who doesn't have a consistent internet connection but still wants to play games, right?

They'll need internet to install it. But can probably / hopefully play offline.

Yes, but installing it. That's the problem. You're not buying the game. You're buying a free installer to download the game.

Here is why this is bullshit.

Back in 2011-2012 I was in Iraq and Kuwait. I had a badass Gaming Laptop (ASUS Republic of Gamers branded), so playing games was no issue. However, as much as I used steam, even then, I would make sure to buy games physically and have them shipped as that was faster than buying the game digitally and letting it download. Yes, it was that slow.

This is one small example of how this is 100% unfriendly to the consumer.

But then again. To quote Jim Sterling "Konami is Konami, and Konami is the worst" also #FucKonami

Not everybody has fast internet or wants to have to download a game which is why they buy physical copies of disk. The thing about multiple disk is people have done the practice in the past with some games coming with over 7 install disk. Seeing how Konami is basically already up shit creek with no paddle with the bs they pulled that everybody has already heard #fuckkonami was already something now this makes it even worse especially with an industry that is already seems like it is trying to tell pc gamers to go fuck themselfs

I think I'm gonna compose a song called "Fuck Konami".

This is a dumb move by Konami, don't get me wrong, but are they the only ones to blame? I've been saying it for ages, steam will do anything to rob people of the choice to use any other buying service on PC. I smell thier hand in this as well.

This actually made me pop in my Human Revolution CD into my laptop and see what was inside as I recall that it just installed through Steam from the CD. Lo and behold:

84m4obn.jpg

YQflox1.jpg

Not excusing what Konami did with this, but pointing out that they're not the only ones doing it and that this isn't a new thing.

Madfinnishgamer38 likes this

The thing about multiple disk is people have done the practice in the past with some games coming with over 7 install disk.

That's another thing! If the reason why they don't like distributing on disk is because DVD'S are to small them why not use Bluray? Then it would only take 1 or 2 disks, How about that!

That's another thing! If the reason why they don't like distributing on disk is because DVD'S are to small them why not use Bluray? Then it would only take 1 or 2 disks, How about that!

Because Blu Ray drives are not common place on most PCs

Its not hard or edpensive to have multiple dvds anyway. A dvd would cost them pennies, and games like ut2k4 had like 4-6 discs iirc.

Not excusing what Konami did with this, but pointing out that they're not the only ones doing it and that this isn't a new thing.

I second this.

This is begging for another #fuckkonami Jim Sterling rant.

Please tell me Joe is going to rip them a new asshole for this..

... Words fail me so here's a picture2916710-8659224113-CzQJ8.jpg

Makes me sad that people think kojima is like 99% of konami. Where is the love for castlevania, contra, gradius, etc?

Funny thing, I just started downloading form steam and the the base game is only 20GB.   What the fuck?

Funny thing, I just started downloading form steam and the the base game is only 20GB.   What the fuck?

Probably installs that then lets you play a certain amount while it downloads the rest.

That seems to be the way it works nowadays.

This actually made me pop in my Human Revolution CD into my laptop and see what was inside as I recall that it just installed through Steam from the CD. Lo and behold:

84m4obn.jpg

YQflox1.jpg

That's different. It has the steam installer, but it also has the game files. What we are talking about is ONLY having the steam installer. Modern Warfare 3 did the same thing as you showed in the screenshots. Forced install of steam, but still has game files. What Konami is doing is COMPLETELY different.