• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaz32

Mad Max game first impression. Sleeping Dogs + Twisted Metal + Just Cause + Mad Max. Freaking awesome.

7 posts in this topic

Here's my first impression on Mad Max after playing it for 2 straight hours.

Mad_Max_2015_video_game_cover_art.jpg

Before I start, I want to say that this game potrays Max better than in Fury Road. Why? Simple:

1) He has authentic Australian accent,

2) He uses his sawed off shotgun MORE times here than in that movie.

3) He's an actual main character instead of a supporting character!

Fury Road is still a fantastic movie regardless.

This game is not a sequel or a prequel to any of the Mad Max movie, well except the first movie, and it takes place in an alternate continuity of the recent Fury Road movie. One day, Max is scavenging through the wasteland by killing marauders he found, all while driving his iconic Interceptor, or "Black on Black" as he calls it here, and armed with his sawed off shotgun. OH YEAH!!

Unfortunately, those bandits got reinforcements, and they all kick his ass. The leader of those bandits in this game is Scrotus, who is the son of the bad guy in Fury Road, Immortan Joe. He has this pretty cool chainsaw on a stick that's like in Dead Rising 2. Difference is there's only 1 chainsaw and it looks METAL AS FUCK!!! 

He took Max's car, again, his clothes and NOOOO! NOT HIS SHOTGUN! So Max and him got into a bit of a battle, which ends on Max CHAINSAWING SCROTUS' HEAD! And miraculously, Scrotus survived that. Damn.

Just look at the intro right here. 

After that cool intro, Max and that dog who got kicked by Scrotus wander around the canyon, and they both meets this guy Chumbucket. This guy is a genius mechanic, and he wants to help Max gets his revenge on Scrotus and his gangs for taking everything away from him since he saw a vision of Max as the saviour of the wasteland. So to prepare for his payback, Chumbucket wants Max to help him create the ultimate car: the Magnum Opus. And that's where the game begins, with Max armed with this..... weirdass looking shotgun that looks more like a silenced pistol.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=510404379

This game is a mix of all the things I mentioned in the title. Sleeping Dogs + Twisted Metal + Just Cause  + Mad Max. And it all mixes together pretty damn well!

The driving in this game is like Twisted Metal and Sleeping Dogs. If you have played Sleeping Dogs, or hell, Wheelman before, you'll be familiar with this game's ramming and slamming mechanic. You can ram an enemy's car when they are directly to the left or right of you. Like this:

You can't jump and highjack an enemy car though.

And it's like Twisted Metal since there's plenty of vehicular carnage and destruction. Just like the movies! As you complete different missions in this game, you will receive upgrade blueprints for your Magnum Opus car. 

_1429833701.jpg

It looks nowhere as cool as this at the start. It looks more like a hunk of wires with wheels and steering wheel. Cool part about this car is that if it's broken or damaged, you can get Chumbucket to fix it for you. He's always inside the car to take care of it and assist you. The car also runs on fuel, and you have to fill your car fuel if you run out of gas. Sounds like a pain, but no worry, I played this game for 1 hour, and my fuel is only slightly reduced so thankfully you don't have to refuel the car that often. Good thing you can keep fuel cannisters on the car's trunk so you can refill it quick.

You can upgrade your car AT ANY TIME as long as you have enough spare parts, like better armor, better speed, nitrous boosts and a HARPOON GUN.

This harpoon gun can be used for SO MANY THINGS. Want to destroy enemy sniper tower? Just harpoon that shit and use your car to bring it down. Want to kill an enemy driver? Harpoon his ass. Want to open a stronghold door? Harpoon that thing. And there's plenty more things that this beast can do as you level it up. You can highjack other cars which lets you disguise yourself as a member of which gang owns that particular car, and if you don't have your car with you, you can use a flare gun to call Chumbucket to bring you your Magnum Opus car.

Oh yeah, if you think you can only destroy another car if you are on a car, there's this trick you can do.

OWNED!

On foot combat is almost like Sleeping Dogs too. Here though instead of regenerating health, you have a health bar that can only be filled if you either find dog food, yes I'm serious, dog food, or water that you can get from water supplies scattered around the wasteland. You counter attack an enemy when there's a button prompt on their head, you do combos on to enemies which can include light or heavy attacks, steal enemy weapons to use against them, and you can enter RAGE mode once your rage meter has been filled up, which lets you do cool wrestling stuff like a German Suplex, a dropkick, a clothesline from HELL and a ground takedown. Difference here is you can pick up enemy knifes, and you can keep the knife in your inventory, which will one hit kill normal enemies or heavily damage giant enemies. If you are familiar with Batman Arkham's and Shadow of Mordor's combat, you'll be right at home here. You can level up Max's gear and ability if you have the parts and you have the leveling up points for it. Some of the abilities are obtained by visiting this wasteland mage Griffa.

468px-Griffa.jpg

You'll see his icon on the map which looks like this

plainicon.com-45250-256px.png

Only the color is swapped and his head is more like a cone.

Unlike Sleeping Dogs though, ammo for your shotgun is VERY limited. Like, you're only allowed to carry 3 bullets max. That's at the early level of the game though, once you get upgrades, you'll be able to carry more. The game compensates for this by making the shotgun a one hit kill to enemies, and of course, CARS. If you aim at their fuel tanks. Boss kinds of vehicles takes more than 1 bullet.

The game also has these air balloon things that acts like the tower from Assassin's Creed.

madmax-balloon.jpg

Just ride on it, get to the sky, and once you get REALLY high, you use your bunoculars to scout the map for enemy activities which will be marked on the map. The air balloon location will later become fast travel points. Unfortunately, riding these things is pretty damn slow, I wish this section can be done a lot faster. 

The one odd thing about this game is the controls, for PC anyway. To climb up a cliff, you don't press spacebar which is usually the jumping button. Noooo, spacebar is for combat roll. Instead you press E to climb something, and picking up objects and open doors. CTRL is used for this TINY jump. Like, a seriously tiny jump that you use to get to another cliff. You can't climb using it, which is odd. Why not have both climb and jump the same??

To enter a car, you don't press E, instead you press R. And when you use your shotgun on foot, it's not like a typical third person shooter. It's more like RE4 where you stand still and aim at an enemy. You can just quickfire an enemy if you want, kind of like that old game Nightmare Creatures. Pretty odd controls, but once you get used to it, you'll be fine.

This game is also GIGANTIC. SOOO many stuff to do. Invading strongholds, looking for air balloons to scout the map, taking down banners to lower enemy morales, convoy destroying missions, or just looking for scrap metals to use for my car I'm 2 hours in, and I only completed 5% of the entire map, and all that time is spent on the starting map on the bottom right of the map. Can't find the map but you'll see what I mean once you played it. It's like Farcry 4 kind of huge. Not as huge as Witcher 3, but it's still pretty damn big.

I can safely say that this game is freaking awesome. Definitely a great movie licensed game and a great Mad Max game too. I say if you like the Batman Arkham Series, Shadow of Mordor or Sleeping Dogs and you're the kind of person that wants to travel in a giant area and EXPLORE everything, this game is for you. I'm going to play some more of this game while I wait for Phantom Pain to download!

DoctorEvil and Eiousx like this

this is like the first movie licenses game that is good

IGN's review of the game: 

this is like the first movie licenses game that is good

If you mean the first movie licensed game in 2015 that's good, then yeah! Hell yeah!

If you mean the first movie licensed game in 2015 that's good, then yeah! Hell yeah!

What I mean is that movie licensed games in general have been improving since 2014.

What I mean is that movie licensed games in general have been improving since 2014.

I know2. I'm talking to the other guy.

just came to me, what about the deadpool game that joe reviewed?

That only got 6 since the gameplay is bland, but Deadpool is awesome.