• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Kaz32

MGSV Phantom Pain tips and tricks corner. Share your tactics to help become the great Big Boss.

26 posts in this topic

Welcome to the tips and tricks corner of MGSV Phantom Pain, where we all share our strategies of playing this game so that we can become the Big motherfuckin Boss.

Here's a few of my personal tips:

1) If you want to get easy S ranks in missions, always go non lethal. And always reload your checkpoints as soon as you screw up.

The game's ranking system for each story based missions will give the most points for you if you managed to beat it without alerting the base and killing any guards. You can still be sneaky and kill everyone, but most of the time, doing that will only give you the A rank. The tranq pistol is your best friend for this, and your CQC. If there's a bunch of enemies that are close together and you are nearby them, don't use your tranq gun since it'll waste ammo. Just sprint as fast as you can before they alert the guards, and use CQCs on ALL of them at once. And kidnap all of them! Beware that during missions, you must not stand up and sprint if there's an enemy right in front of you. That'll get you detected straight away, so crouch and crawl.

Avoid using the tranq gun on people you want to recruit, you only need to use CQC on them and then fulton them. Use your tranq gun for enemies that you don't want to bring back to your base or if the enemy is at a distance.

So for you that's always detected during the middle of the mission and can't seem to get more than B rank, fear not! You can actually just reload the checkpoint before you got detected by enemies. And enemies that you have marked before you reload the checkpoints will still get marked, so you don't have to use your binoculars to detect enemies again. You still need to use it to scan enemy soldiers for their stats so that you can recruit them to Mother Base though.

2) When in free roam mode, do whatever the hell you want. Blow every anti air radar, enemy radio and power generators that you see.

When not in a main story mission, it is the best to just go crazy on enemy bases. You can kill everyone you see, fulton everyone you see, poop on every enemy that you kill with your horse, up to you! Side missions can be done in anyway you want without needing to worry about S rank like in normal missions.

Free roam is also the best time to just destroy every enemy equipments you can see. Anti air radars, enemy radios, power generator, all that good destructible stuff. Not only is this fun as hell as payback for going stealthy all the time in the main missions, but it will help you on your story missions as well. Enemies will be lesser and can't see very well in the dark since you already destroy their power generator and their radio to call in backup. It can even lead to a very quick S rank since some story missions requires you to blow enemy equipments up, and you already did it in free roam so you won!

3) Always check cardboard boxes delivery points in every major enemy outposts.

The biggest mistake that people will do in this game is not knowing that there is a fast travel system. There are these cardboard boxes delivery platforms that looks like this.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/_hhLOR9r-vEtnCDudzf0SL5OFJYiutbP_haq5fM118PlgnwtJIZvhCkpJUupcqpgJ5SgqPm8yOB4BLM5-YbGjuVEyw5qsvICuzsbTLZwWzVbVTpR9O-fwwLGlF22YQhUpedPKQSh9jzbAfCfUzeKUCwuC05VWFWUx3h0x6bNvQGBV2ND3vcWUdgTBU8WCYx3vc_EJ668odR9hzVKU-Pnp4WmKNkgDaHsuUqfmJGS=w512-h287-nc

You need to get to the sign post and take the paper on it to unlock fast travel for that location. Every enemy base that's not a small guard post has these. So be sure to find this platform on every base you see.

To fast travel, just equip your cardboard box, press the button prompt and go to your chosen destination. Kojima express will deliver you to it straight away!

4) When you run out of money, just replay the story missions. And remember: diamonds are forever.

If you are low on money, or don't have enough money and want to get that sweet2 research for a weapon, then here's an EASY way to earn money.

Replay previous missions. Do this by choosing your missions like normal, and preferably, do the missions that's really short and easy to get an S rank. Like the sniper duel with Quiet. Or any other missions, up to you. Getting S ranks for every mission will grant you 130,000 GMP. So on average, you'll get around 200,000 GMP per missions that you have replayed once again. And the best part about these is you still have your current equipment upgrades, so if you are pissed off at a "destroy a tank" mission before, now you can just fulton that bitch! Easy mission win!

But beware, even though you are replaying these missions, the enemies will get tougher with better equipments. So prepare to scout ahead to see which enemy has them and you're good to go.

Get diamonds. Lots of diamonds. These things respawn whenever you go to back to Mother Base and the chopper. Remember the locations of the L diamonds because those things worth 100,000 GMP. Get them the first time, then go back to your chopper. And then go back to that same location to get another L diamond. Easy money.

5) Fulton everything! If you can.

Enemy soldiers, preferably the ones with high stats, vehicles, mounted machine guns, material containers, bears, goats, sheeps, wolves, birds, TAKE THEM ALL WITH YOU!

6) want to go back to your helicopter? Don't use the iDroid. Just pause the game and pick the option to return!

After escaping from a hotzone after a story mission, or if you just want to get out of the area you are in, no need to call in helicopter to pick you up. Just pause the game and pick return to ACC. Saves you money, and you don't need to wait that long. Doesn't work when you are in Mother Base though. You have to use the iDroid there.

Here are my tips for you peeps. If you have a strategy that you want to share, go ahead! Share it. That way we will all learn more about the game and one step close to become the Big motherfuckin Boss!

Crazycrab and DeadOrb1t like this

Good tips!

Kaz32 likes this

Good tips!

Thanks. Hope this helps you out.

Ah, I forgot to add something. During missions, if you want to make things easier, just fulton a lot of soldiers without being detected, and after that run away from the base until the game autosaves the checkpoint. You'll know if it autosaves because it will tell you about the equipments and soldiers that you have used fulton on. This way if you reload a checkpoint, you will go back to that autosaved checkpoint and the number of enemy soldiers will be reduced. That'll give you an easier time completing missions.

Oh, and don't forget: the cardboard box can be used to screw with guards. It can lead to this funny conversation:

HKs0KSY.jpg

DeadOrb1t likes this

Always send your combat unit out on the missions that result in supplies being stopped to your enemies (such as shields, helmets etc)  makes it much easier when most of the bad guys have crappy equipment.

Kaz32 likes this

Also if your on a FOB mission dont fall off the side (like i did ooops) as it may very well spawn you out of bounds making it so you cant do anything.  I was defending when this happened so not sure if it can happen on the offensive too.

Also if your on a FOB mission dont fall off the side (like i did ooops) as it may very well spawn you out of bounds making it so you cant do anything. I was defending when this happened so not sure if it can happen on the offensive too.

When can I get FOB? I've been playing for 43 hours now and I'm still in level 15. Do you have to reach level 21 or something to build it?

When can I get FOB? I've been playing for 43 hours now and I'm still in level 15. Do you have to reach level 21 or something to build it?

Yes once you start mission 20 something happens and when you complete that you can build FOB's etc.

Yes once you start mission 20 something happens and when you complete that you can build FOB's etc.

Damn. That's quite an odd thing to unlock multiplayer mode after you're really far into the game.

Speaking of that thing, what the hell does MB coins do? Based on me sending soldiers on the online missions, it's just for speeding up the process so they will complete their mission instantly without needing to wait for 1 entire day.

Damn. That's quite an odd thing to unlock multiplayer mode after you're really far into the game.

Speaking of that thing, what the hell does MB coins do? Based on me sending soldiers on the online missions, it's just for speeding up the process so they will complete their mission instantly without needing to wait for 1 entire day.

No idea never bothered using them.  They are mostly for buying extra FOB's after you get the first one for free.  As for the combat missions i never bother doing the online one as it isnt working very well so far and there have been many times when the mission is 20mins or so from finishing then the server goes down (AGAIN) and when it comes back up i find out the mission was cancelled.

That's a pretty interesting accent. Is he from germany?

The funny thing about this video is I already know almost all of those things. Except Quiet, how to reset difficulty, the effects of showering and that lullaby putting people to sleep.

Played the game already?

Wow. HOLY shit. Right now I'm on mission 26, and there's an epidemic going on in my base. If you don't quarantine the people that got the infection, SOO many people will die! 

So what I did is look into the people that got quarantined and see what's the common thing they all had in common. And what I found was freaking brilliant:

They all SPEAK the language KIKONGO, esepcially that damn interpreter of mine! Looks like these viruses are all spreading through people that speaks this language! I didn't know that viruses can be that picky!

So I quarantine EVERY one of my staff who speaks the language. And the number of quarantine drops like a demolished building. Everyone, when your base experiences a virus epidemic, IMMEDIATELY quarantine those who speaks KIKONGO. Get to the Staff Management bar and press "switch display" to show what language everyone of your staff uses. Get those KIKONGO's asses to quarantine!

That's a pretty interesting accent. Is he from germany?

Played the game already?

Don't know, doesn't sound like he does for me, and nope.

nope. 

Kind of a waste to just let it sit there untouched. You rather just give it back to the store and then buy it when there's a discount.

Kind of a waste to just let it sit there untouched. You rather just give it back to the store and then buy it when there's a discount.

Day one Edition Physical Map, not paying for the downloadable extras when they become DLC available for everyone, so nope.

Day one Edition Physical Map, not paying for the downloadable extras when they become DLC available for everyone, so nope.

But those DLC extras are much cheaper in the future!

So right now you already bought the game for, I don't know what canadian currency is like, so US$ 60. It comes with a season pass for downloadable extras so you don't have to pay extra for future dlcs. Sure.

In the future, the game's price drops to $10 -  30, you can just get the dlcs that you want for, I dunno, $5 - 10. Much better if you can get to a discount website and get all dlcs for the game for $10. And even if there's more than one, you won't buy all of them.

So buying now $60, compared to buying it later $20 - 40. Still a lot cheaper than having it wasted. Besides, that physical map can be bought on ebay for $10. Or if a store keeps it for sale.

Sorry2, I'm an accountant. I'm very price councious. 

But those DLC extras are much cheaper in the future!

So right now you already bought the game for, I don't know what canadian currency is like, so US$ 60. It comes with a season pass for downloadable extras so you don't have to pay extra for future dlcs. Sure.

In the future, the game's price drops to $10 -  30, you can just get the dlcs that you want for, I dunno, $5 - 10. Much better if you can get to a discount website and get all dlcs for the game for $10. And even if there's more than one, you won't buy all of them.

So buying now $60, compared to buying it later $20 - 40. Still a lot cheaper than having it wasted. Besides, that physical map can be bought on ebay for $10. Or if a store keeps it for sale.

Sorry2, I'm an accountant. I'm very price councious. 

Day One Edition right on the Game Case, PHYSICAL MAP, NOT PAYING AT ALL for any of said DLC. I wait long enough for the discount, there may be no more Day One versions. Even if I end up not opening it, I can just get the game again when it's going for less than $10 on Steam. By that time I'll have a system that can run it at max settings. No, this is NOT the first time I've done this. No, this will NOT be the last.

You're also talking to a guy who bought Bayonetta 2 at launch, still has it and doesn't have a Wii U yet, YET.

You're also talking to a guy who bought Bayonetta 2 at launch, still has it and doesn't have a Wii U yet, YET.

...... Ok Mr_E_Meatshield, I respect you more than just about anybody else on this forum.  You seem to be right and level headed about pretty much every post you make so I've got to ask........WHY THE FUCK DID YOU DO THAT?

...... Ok Mr_E_Meatshield, I respect you more than just about anybody else on this forum.  You seem to be right and level headed about pretty much every post you make so I've got to ask........WHY THE FUCK DID YOU DO THAT?

I call it a Commitment Buy. I've done so with the 360, PS3 and the PS4, systems that I bought games for before having the system. Only thing I wish is that it was the Collector's Edition version, unfortunately I think it was only available in the UK. Plus, I like Platinum Games, so heck they can have some of my money. Nintendo games also had a habit of becoming sold out and resold for high prices. So it's a way for me to try and get around that as I don't want to go get a used copy for anything. Kinda makes me wish I did this for Metroid Prime Trilogy Collect's Edition even if I didn't have a Wii back then.

And in case someone asks, no, I'm not saying that this is a smart decision on my part. In fact, I would even agree that I'm a pretty bad consumer for doing this. If I ever end up not getting a Wii U, well then it's just another game in my collection.

Well if you know you are making a bad decision, that's up to you.

I found a fantastic secret to this game. For pc version anyway. You can put your own songs in the game, and it'll be exactly like playing a music tape. You can even set your custom song as the music of your helicopter arriving to the battlefield!

Yes, any song you want in your music collection can be played in the game. Like these:

And surprisingly, these songs are PERFECT.

How do you put your own song in the game? Go to your Phantom Pain file folder on Steam, and you'll see a folder that says CustomSoundtrack. Add your songs in the game, and in the main game, you'll be able to play it from the music select on your iDroid bellow music 2.

Have fun sneaking through the game with your favorite songs!

Well if you know you are making a bad decision, that's up to you.

Well, even if I didn't know it, it's still up to me.

Here's one hillarious trick that I found out. One of the mission, actually 2 of the missions in this game are called Code Talker, where you have to extract an old man from this giant house he's in so he can work for you. The worst part about this mission is the Skulls sniper. 

Pretty cool fight on normal difficulty. But in mission 48 where it's used again but with extreme difficulty? 1 HIT FROM THEM AND YOU ARE DEAD. Not only that, but once they see you, they will immediately shoot you, and unless you have superhuman reflex to dodge their bullets, you are instantly dead! They have super sight at all times, and it's extremely difficult to beat them.

BUT. There is one way to bypass them. Really easily, and since they're a boss fight, their battle will not deduct your stealth ranking. So how do you get past them easily you may ask?

Bring a fucking tank.

This is actually the best way to tackle this mission too. Normally what happens in the mission is that after you meet Code Talker, you have to bypass another set of security. But since you bypass the skulls before, they will turn the soldiers into mindless zombies, and you can just run through them without getting an alert that affects your stealth rank. Easy mission win!

If you guys want infinite GMP theres actually a way of getting it besides farming missions which happens to be faster and very easy. To do this, start mission 12. Right in the starting area theres 2 guards, 3 containers (1 fuel, 1 metal, 1 precious metal) and your objective is to get the intel right across from the containers. Well, for you to get infinite GMP you just take out the 2 guards, fulton the containers and grab the intel to hit the checkpoint. Once you hit the checkpoint restart the mission because restarting respawns the containers but, retains the previous resources you got. This means we farm infinite resources and sell them for huge returns.

I havent done the math on the fuel resource and common metal (I think it is) because were not after selling those ones as they are more useful and pay out less but, each container grabs you 7500 resource of each. What were really after here is the precious metal container because each container gives you 500 of it and when you sell thats equal to 500,000 GMP! All while one run cost 30,000 worth of fultoning so... pretty self explanatory.

The only "drawbacks" are that since you have to restart you have to load back in and see the intro with the cast (WTF is up with that? Its annoying to see it every goddamn mission) but, at least you can skip cutscenes. And also, that while you are hoarding infinite resources, you do have to wait until they get processed for you to sell them. So make sure you have your base development team leveled up and related platforms built for faster process times as well as retaining more materials. There are places where you can do the same thing except collecting processed material boxes instead but really, that is much slow, not recommended.

As a side note, keep in mind that whatever you do in the idroid stays there in between restarting and stuff. You could order developments, send your guys on missions and whatnot all while you farm. The idroid does not reset, times dont reset is what im saying.

Kaz32 likes this

If you guys want infinite GMP theres actually a way of getting it besides farming missions which happens to be faster and very easy. To do this, start mission 12. Right in the starting area theres 2 guards, 3 containers (1 fuel, 1 metal, 1 precious metal) and your objective is to get the intel right across from the containers. Well, for you to get infinite GMP you just take out the 2 guards, fulton the containers and grab the intel to hit the checkpoint. Once you hit the checkpoint restart the mission because restarting respawns the containers but, retains the previous resources you got. This means we farm infinite resources and sell them for huge returns.

I havent done the math on the fuel resource and common metal (I think it is) because were not after selling those ones as they are more useful and pay out less but, each container grabs you 7500 resource of each. What were really after here is the precious metal container because each container gives you 500 of it and when you sell thats equal to 500,000 GMP! All while one run cost 30,000 worth of fultoning so... pretty self explanatory.

The only "drawbacks" are that since you have to restart you have to load back in and see the intro with the cast (WTF is up with that? Its annoying to see it every goddamn mission) but, at least you can skip cutscenes. And also, that while you are hoarding infinite resources, you do have to wait until they get processed for you to sell them. So make sure you have your base development team leveled up and related platforms built for faster process times as well as retaining more materials. There are places where you can do the same thing except collecting processed material boxes instead but really, that is much slow, not recommended.

As a side note, keep in mind that whatever you do in the idroid stays there in between restarting and stuff. You could order developments, send your guys on missions and whatnot all while you farm. The idroid does not reset, times dont reset is what im saying.

Aha! The old "respawnabale resources" trick. Thanks!

I got soo many resources with me right now, that if I just go to one of them and max out the resources I sell, I can get 5 million in an instant, and I don't even use that trick. When I need resources, I repeat mission 29 & 30 a lot because those missions has those red containers that's abundant in quantity.

Fuel is the biggest pain in the ass since you require it so much to build your mother base.

Sigh, it's too bad that this game doesn't have this: