• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Ghaleon

Any 'new' RTS games that suit my tastes?

12 posts in this topic

I put new in quotes because the newest one I've played that meets this criteria is sins of a solar empire..

Anyway, are there any new RTS games that kinda play more like a TBS game with heavy economics, empire management, town/city/planet/whatever building, research, etc... games that aren't really decided to be won in a 10-20 minute rush...one where a single battle might take minutes...ones less emphasizing on battles and more on empire development? In other words.. kinda.. well.. slow?

Some of my faves include rise of nations, sins of a solar empire, and supreme commander... note I'm aware supreme commander can be one of those 10 minute rush games but that really isn't the only viable strategy and the economic and base management in that game is really pretty deep and rewarding IMO.

Kinda should be obvious at this point but I'd also like it where important game-deciding battles aren't really determined by the person most adept at managing hotkeys and quickslots and shit mid-battle. I can manage a keyboard fine, and a mouse ok, but not great.. so even if I use hotkeys, I typically have to target stuff or select units to buff or something, and I just can't do that as quickly as high end play often demands for faster rts games like starcraft or whatever.

Divinity: Dragon Commander is an empire based strategy where you manage not only various provinces but work with diplomats from various races. Oh, and you get to be a dragon wearing a jetpack. Just keep in mind that the RTS combat is definitely not the game's strongest feature, it's pretty generic in terms of mechanics, but it doesn't really impact the game as a whole. 

Stronghold might be a good series as well. (except for 3 and Legends) The main focus of the game is building a strong castle with a thriving peasant population which is meant to fuel the diverse army and complex siege warfare. Because players need to build a functional economy before considering aggressive actions battles can be fast or slow depending on the skills of the players, or if you want to fight at your own pace Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader have sandbox modes where the player can spawn different events and battles with the F1 menu.

Divinity: Dragon Commander 

Stronghold might be a good series as well. (except for 3 and Legends) 

Along with what he said above, I suggest giving the Age of Empires games a shot.

I tried dragon commander a bit but didn't really find it that enjoyable. Yeah I can see they did a good job at making the campaign elements pretty deep, but the actual meat of the gameplay felt extremely bare bones to me. almost like a free to play flash game. after only a few battles I learned at how you can pretty much win any stage using the same exact strategy, even when victory chances are only like 5% or whatever. Even then, the strategy isn't strategy but more a test to how quickly you can mobilize everyone efficiently...It is actually pretty much the perfect example of what I should NOT play IMO. But thanks anyway, it is different for sure so I appreciate the suggestion.

Haven't really tried stronghold yet, I'll check it out.

Sins of a Solar Empire was a good game (When I owned it I played one campaign for about 12 hours straight) the only one I have heard of that seemed similar was the game Galactic Civilizations 3 but as I have not played it I cannot say if it is to your taste or not.

gal civ is a TBS, completely different genre... not that I'm attempting to discredit it. I generally PREFER TBS games over RTS...I'm asking for RTS games not because I'm looking for more strategy games that I like. but RTS ones specifically because I try to keep my tastes open to multiple genres if possible and TBS doesn't need any help in that department =)

Nope. Isnt that just erd party multiplayer hosting for the game acting normal? I like the game but dont play it often enough to provide any challenge to vets yet.

Ya its a 3rd party client. The community got together when GPG went under to keep the game alive. It has players from all skill levels as well as a ladder ranking system. Additionally, modders have created alot of great content as well as UI mods in order to help people micromanage way better to improve the gaming experience. The one thing that I find that is most interesting are all the tournaments and youtube cast that help promote the game.

This URL is actually a cast from last week over a noob tourny that went on.

here is a cast from Gyle. He is one of the more well known casters.

There is always command & conquer ,it is rts.and it is also free on origin ( Command and Conquer Red Alert 2). The runtime of a game it really depends on how you play it and what game of the series you are playing,plus if you don't like the futuristic look there's command and conquer generals for a more modern-looking game.

Have you heard of Planetary Annihilation? It's similar to Supreme Commander, but larger. It's produced by Uber Entertainment.

There is also Ashes of the Singularity which is also similar to SC. I think it's in or near alpha/beta. It's made published by Stardock, who did SoaSE.