• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Raspharus

What do you think of gamers that play only MOBA games?

31 posts in this topic

If you find the title confusing, yes there are actually a lot of players who play exclusively only mobas, or one moba. What determined me to open this topic was the fact that today I was talking to one of my friends today, which apparently plays Dota 2 exclusively. He told me that he recently upgraded his system, and that he had some cash left enough for a game that is. So i recommended him the witcher 3 which could be a pretty good purchase considering the free dlc and upcoming expansion. But he dismissed it so easily saying that single player games are shit. After that he told me that dota 2 is the only game that he plays and the only game that deserves playing.

After a more or less heated discussion i decided to abandon the subject seeing that he has his own opinions that i cant change for anything. Now back onto the topic. I also used to play dota 2 and LoL. In fact i still play dota even now from time to time(some custom games nothing serious). As such i do have a lot of people in my list coming from the game. Funnily enough when i checked their profiles almost all of them play dota exclusively. 

While talking to my cousin i smacked myself on the same wall. Only LoL. And it would be understandable if they tried other genres and didnt like them, but what baffles me is the fact that they dismiss them immediately without even considering. Which is weird considering the fact that most of them hate the moba that they play. Yes you are reading right. They have a so called love hate relationship with the game. When they win, its all ok but if they lose or get bad mates, rage begins to flow. Thats is actually the reason i switched back to single players in the first place. And yet they keep playing like no other(5000 hours, 8000 hours and even more). They dream of going professional even tho that is close to impossible. It seems to me like they are trapped into some kind of drug-type addiction.

Ok i am probably rambling by now. Basically what i think is that they do miss on a lot of stuff, while not having necessarily a good experience everytime. Which is kinda weird. Anyways what do you guys think of this matter?

Demonbane775 and baronrouker like this

A lot of people only play FPS games like Halo and CoD, MMOs, just sports games, just casual games on phones or apps, or just Starcraft. Nothing wrong with that, might be kind of an asshole though if they think nothing else should be played by anyone.

After that he told me that dota 2 is the only game that he plays and the only game that deserves playing.

I couldn't imagine only playing one genre, that would get extremely boring to me. Playing only one game sounds a lot worse than that but I suppose a lot of people focus their lives around playing one sport so it isn't uncommon. That must be horrible.

Dyzzles and Laserrifle125 like this

Well maybe they just cant accept the fact that if you die/lose in a singleplayer game, it is 110% the players fault whereas in MOBA games it is very easy to throw someone else under the bus and blame them for the loss instead of their own performance ie "they died a couple more time than they should have/ they didnt heal me/ they missed a gank". Stuff like that.

As for only playing one game well....would you want to eat the exact same meal 3 times a day and never have anything else? I sure wouldn't.

baronrouker and 2and900 like this

The first thing that gets me here is if your friend only plays DOTA2 and thus must have had a system that could run the game, why did he upgrade just to play DOTA2? Either there's much more to his reasoning or he's been a little stupid.

Anyway, on topic;

I'd never stop anyone from just playing MOBAs, but I genuinely don't understand why anyone would limit themselves to just one genre of game. The expection I would mention is MMO's and I'd people that's justified becuase there is so much to do and a large variety of them out thier in, but a match backed PVP game of any kind? What's gonna be so radically different this match? I know that no two matches are the same in games like this, but there's still a point where one would more or less experienced what the game has to offer. With all due respect to you cousin and friend, they're doing themselves a disservice. It sounds pretty closed minded, especially if thier not willing to try other things.

Playing only one game or genre doesnt make someone a "gamer" in my books. But a said game/genre junkie.

I dont think someone has to be dtupid to do so, if thats all they like i wont think less of them. I just dont think they are a gamer is all.

Of course if they truly think that said game or genre is the only one worth trying in general, not just for them specifically, i will then proceed to think less of them =p.

I worked at this Lan House once, and i suggested to the owner to put a couple games on the machines, as it would attract people spend hours playing, it worked. After a year, almost everyone kept playing either LoL or Dota 2. And those where the only moba's on there. I put around 25 games on each machine. And these people only play'd one of the two moba's exclusively. I couldn't understand how and why these people are hard headed to only play these games! I play both Moba's frequently. But i sure as hell do not play them exclusively. Could you imagine how toxic someone could become just playing moba's? Considering it isn't a very good environment to begin with?! :o

Well maybe they just cant accept the fact that if you die/lose in a singleplayer game, it is 110% the players fault whereas in MOBA games it is very easy to throw someone else under the bus and blame them for the loss instead of their own performance ie "they died a couple more time than they should have/ they didnt heal me/ they missed a gank". Stuff like that.

As for only playing one game well....would you want to eat the exact same meal 3 times a day and never have anything else? I sure wouldn't.

I agree with you. That behavior is so common it might as well be the reasoning behind the exclusivity.

I've played the original dota several dozen times, and lol several dozen times.. so probably less than 100 games for each. But despite that, I've seen people with the same amount or even less than the number of games I've had blame teammates on shit (most of the time when said people being blamed weren't at fault as much as the complainer, who is like the main feeder for the team like 70% of the time, and the few times they are not, they still aren't in the 'best' position, and then they'll blame the entire team. like one game the guy was ranting at us as the entire team, and he had like 24 kills and 12 deaths, but only like 200 minion kills. meanwhile I had like 22 kills and 12 deaths, but like 1400 minion kills. AND I killed the dragon for the team at one point because it was convenient)..

Anyway I digress. My point is even if I really did make some bad mistakes and actually contributed to my team's loss, with less than 100 games played I think that's kind of natural. Because there are so many champions in the game, there's no way someone with so few games played can possibly be 100% familiar with all of them, what they can do, how they can surprise or trick you, etc. You have to experience these things at least once to not fall prey to it unless you get lucky and they didn't pull off said trick effectively or whatever. That's not even going to how some different item builds can make a character differ vastly from another despite being on the same champion to boot!

Blah

If they like playing MOBA's let them play MOBA's, everyone is different and has different taste in video games. 

With the level arrogance amongst some of the people who only play mobas, who's willing to be against these same people look down on folk who only play Fifa or COD year after year?

Not sure what you mean but I think I do... Are you saying are people willing to 'hate on' cod-addicts as much as we are willing to 'hate on' moba addicts?

To answer, I don't think anyone here is really hating on the person just because they only like mobas. Most of us who seemed to disagree with that kinda add disclaimers that personal taste is a thing, our beef is if they truly feel that mobas are in fact the only game worth playing for others, not just themselves. Upgrading your computer when you can already handle the only game you play and ask for advice to piss on advice is also kinda trolly though.

That being said, I say the same thing for codboys as I do moba boys. They aren't gamers if they only play cod, if they only WANT to play cod, that's fine by me, but I don't consider them a 'gamer'... Additionally, I kinda pride myself as being someone who is willing to admit I ENJOY playing CoD from time to time, as well as the polar opposite, which is super kawaii desu desu loli cutiee JRPG magical sparkle love edition. That's why I joined ASJA, one of the only gaming communities I know that doesn't hate the other kind.

They can play what they want. If they wanna play only MOBAs that's fine. It's not me that will never experience the full extravaganza that is The Witcher 3 or other good games. They're still gamers though. But since I have to stay in character....

Those foolish people miss out on good value like Day 1 Garry's Incident or Ride to Hell: Retribution. Who would want to miss that?

Not sure what you mean but I think I do... Are you saying are people willing to 'hate on' cod-addicts as much as we are willing to 'hate on' moba addicts?

To answer, I don't think anyone here is really hating on the person just because they only like mobas. Most of us who seemed to disagree with that kinda add disclaimers that personal taste is a thing, our beef is if they truly feel that mobas are in fact the only game worth playing for others, not just themselves. Upgrading your computer when you can already handle the only game you play and ask for advice to piss on advice is also kinda trolly though.

That being said, I say the same thing for codboys as I do moba boys. They aren't gamers if they only play cod, if they only WANT to play cod, that's fine by me, but I don't consider them a 'gamer'... Additionally, I kinda pride myself as being someone who is willing to admit I ENJOY playing CoD from time to time, as well as the polar opposite, which is super kawaii desu desu loli cutiee JRPG magical sparkle love edition. That's why I joined ASJA, one of the only gaming communities I know that doesn't hate the other kind.

I must apologise, I had a typo in my post that I've fixed. I'll try to explain a bit better.

What I was getting at is that with the arrogance than some MOBA players show that has been described by others in the thread, I find it hard to believe that these people wouldn't be amongst those who shoot people down for just playing COD, Battlefield, Fifa ect to year on year. It makes the people who this and only play MOBAs look quite hypocritical. It's all speculation though, I don't know the truth of the matter.

likes this

Guys dont get me wrong, im not trying to label anything here. Fom my POV almost everyone that plays games can be called a gamer to some extent. The thing is i am pretty amazed when i see the way that most of them chase wild gooses. Trying to go pro, even though that is VERY hard, dismissing other games considering that nothing truly ever comes into the likes of dota/lol/whatever.

Like if you havent tried something, how can you know that it's bad? Some of you are right though, there are quite some toxic players there, altough from what i saw once they get to a certain level they start to behave. 

I didn't see anyone lecture you about labeling people, I just saw people telling you their opinions because that's what you asked for.

I don't know how I would think about them.  Depends on whether or not they are able to keep their sanity amongst the toxicity.  If they managed to end up like, say JoshScorcher (ok I know that he doesn't only play MOBAs but he has professed his love of League of Legends, I'm just using him as an ideal hypothetical), I would be ok with them.  Heck I could easily see me becomming good friends with them.  If, however, they ended up like...this guy...then I would be tempted to hold up both of my middle fingers at them if we were ever to meet in person and refuse to lower them until one of us left the presence of the other.

Really I have no problem with a person's preferred choice of games.  I'm primarily a MMORPGer.  I generally detest what FPS games have become these days (graybrown military shooters with regenerating health and lazy recycled stories), but I have nothing against the genre as a whole (I have Bioshock, Metroid Prime, and Shadow Warrior to thank for that) and will willingly join in a match if it is, say a round of Halo multiplayer or CoD Zombies (the Zombies mode is the only thing I like about CoD and will defend my position that the best thing they can do for the franchise is elevate CoD Zombies from a multiplayer mode to a full on standalone game, complete with story and everything, to the death).  However, the second a game negatively impacts a player's personality, especially if they only play that one game, then I start to have problems with their game choice.

I think that devoting your entire game time to one genre or game franchise is like only watching movies that have Arnold Schwarzenegger in them, or only listening to one musical artist.  In other words single minded and ignorant.

But I have a "Live and let live" attitude about it, if they are happy doing that then fine it's not harming anyone.  But what I don't like is when gaming companies cash in on this ignorance by stripping out futures making these people pay extra money with the insulting and way to often true assumption that they will buy it no mater what.  EA Sports franchises like Fifa and Madden being prime examples of this.

nikiking and Madfinnishgamer38 like this

The thing is i am pretty amazed when i see the way that most of them chase wild gooses. Trying to go pro, even though that is VERY hard, dismissing other games considering that nothing truly ever comes into the likes of dota/lol/whatever.

It's not so amazing, really. It's all about those dollar-signs they have in their eyes.

Their hobby is video games. They want to get paid for their hobby.

People go pro playing MOBAs, and no one has ever made a living playing single-player games.

In their eyes, there's no point to playing any game that doesn't have career potential, and they look down on others who don't have as much "foresight" as they do.

They live in a childish version of reality, dreamed up by children.

ZohmBii likes this

What do you think of gamers that play only MOBA games?

well, that they are gamers like every other Gamer out there, just with different favourite Genre. ^^

People who are exclusionary for certain games are missing out on a lot of good games out there.

Madfinnishgamer38 likes this

From my experience, people who play that kind of game a lot are incredibly hostile.

This is probably just MY experience, but it was a bad one that really, really soured me on the whole MOBA thing. A few years ago I tired LoL for a bit but I wasn't really getting anywhere because I was new, so I went to the LoL forums and made a thread asking for hints and tips for new starters. Nothing heavy, or anything, just a "hey, I'm new and I want to be more help to my team"

The thread got 8 replies before I logged out and never came back, and literally every single one was in the vein of "Fuck off faggot noob". So yeah, fuck those guys, fuck those games, I don't really care about them now. I MIGHT come back to them one day, but those guys who are really into MOBA's are literally every reason I stopped playing games online.

Though i do have to admit, i like watching competitions on twitch more rather than play myself. Esports are pretty entertaining to watch from that POV.

I personally don't like MOBA's. I've tried both League and DOTA 2, and both seem to just attract a very toxic type of community. My theory on this is that due to the very competitive ESPORTS atmosphere in what is supposed to be a team-based game, it attracts the kind of people who only care about themselves and see "Teamwork" as a way to show off how much better they are than their team. 

A prime example of this is, if you've never played a MOBA or encountered a MOBA player, their mentality towards the classes. FOr some reason, many MOBA players believes that a team should be made entirely of "ADC", basically squishy DPS characters, and many will often post or say things like "Support isn't a real class" or "we need to get rid of the useless support class" 

They do these sorts of things unironically. 

That should tell you a lot about the communities behind MOBA games. 

My beef, I suppose, is not with MOBAs themselves, but the communities that gather behind them. I have never met such a toxic community as I have in MOBAs. 

Anyway, back to the point of the thread. 

Do I have an issue with people who play only MOBAs? 

In spite of what I've said here, no, not really. If someone does that, it's just a little sad they're missing out on so much else in gaming. I myself bounce between genres like a kangaroo on crack, even if I do have a preference (Third person shooters). If they say no other type of game is worth playing, though, they're an idiot and not worth my time. 

Tryed MOBA's dont really like them Smites ok but the learning curve just makes in so unenjoyable to NOObs like me