• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Legolas_Katarn

For the King (Funded and Ended)

5 posts in this topic

Kickstarter

Embark on a perilous adventure with turn-based combat and strategic exploration in this single player and online cooperative roguelike.

In For The King, every turn matters. Discovering new locations is paramount to success. Choose to split your party up and cover more ground, or stick together for protection. A sound strategy can mean the difference between life and death.

Fight and die as a party in fast paced and brutal turn-based combat using a unique slot system for attacks and special abilities. Find and gather herbs for your trusty pipe to heal your wounds and cure your maladies. Set up safe camps or brave the horrors that nightfall brings.

Collect Lore and use it to strategically and persistently unlock the mysteries and mechanics of the places you find. Amass trinkets and treasure that will help you on your quest. But remember adventurer, you do this not for the riches or fame but for your village, for your realm, for the king!

01ca3b8148f7466e234d8d2c2cd0814d_origina

• Solo or Online Co-op - Control your own party or play with up to 3 people online. Travel and fight together or dare to set off on your own.
  • Challenging Roguelike Adventure - A highly re-playable, unforgiving adventure designed to keep you guessing and on the edge of your seat.
  • Turn Based Combat - A classic battle style with a unique slot and proficiency system. Choose your attack type, spend focus points, use items, and activate special abilities to defeat your foes.
  • Living World - New challenges and horrors emerge at different times of day. Encounter weather and natural events that have a variety of effects, both good and bad.

3e4887dcb47f2144caf684e09bf9e677_origina

• Procedurally Crafted Map - The map, realms, and locations you encounter are different every play through. A unique set of fascinating locations will force you to adapt your play style every game.
  • Persistent Lore - Collect lore and spend it at the town libraries to build a unique game experience. Unlock persistent game mechanics in the order of your choosing.
  • Dungeons - Unique dungeons will require new strategies every time you play. Encounter deadly traps, enemies, and legendary treasure in unexpected ways.
  • Persistent Weapon Crafting - Collect unusual resources and rare weapon recipes to craft powerful weapons over multiple playthroughs.
  • Item, trinkets, curiosities - Find many different objects and items to use along the way. Some helpful and some come with a cost...

Stretch Goals

8981d46ff01ad43a9cc3d5f96bf03188_origina

I like roguelikes, and my biggest gripe about them is that many of them are single-character rather than party-based... however I can't help but question what exactly they classify as a roguelike when the game has 'main characters' =/... it looks worth playing for sure though.

I read stuff and it mentions release date could be pushed back blah blah (which is completely understandable and fine, every game release date is pushed back these days, and it's a horribly hard thing to predict anyway), but as far as I can see, da game HAS NO release prediction to begin with! what?

Did I miss it? When is it supposed to come out? I just wanna remind myself to check it out then if I don't do so beforehand.

edit: forgot to gripe, I wanna play this, but I ahve to say.. why the fuck did they choose to use intentionally stupid looking early 3d looking models. Can actually see the individual polygon early 3d was like the 3rd worst thing to happen to gaming ever until they finally refined it to look better.

da game HAS NO release prediction to begin with!

That's always seemed like the smarter option, even more so when you have stretch goals, but it does say June 2016 on the rewards.

why the fuck did they choose to use intentionally stupid looking early 3d looking models

With the lower budget I assumed that was just the art style.

I like roguelikes, and my biggest gripe about them is that many of them are single-character rather than party-based... however I can't help but question what exactly they classify as a roguelike when the game has 'main characters' =/

Looks like it is using that to mean the world is generated, you can unlock stuff for future playthroughs, and other characters can die but I don't know if it's a get killed with the main characters and you lose game from what I read.

I'm not complaining about having no release date... but saying that it could be delayed when 'it' doesn't even exist in the first place makes me question if it does exist and Is imply missed it. I completely agree having no release date is probably for the best... provided they keep updates rolling along

as for art-style low budget, this I'm not really sure about. I have limited experience working with new and learning game developers, including modlers and artists... typically modelers make a model higher poly than wanted to begin with, and have to work on reducing it without gimping the visual quality, this is what generally seperates an experienced modler from an inexperienced ones.. more experienced means lower poly without lower quality....Making models THAT low polycount, it really has to be done as a out-of-their-way type thing, and don't tell me that it's so computers can handle it easier.. pft =P.

My best guess is these people have super nostalgia about super early 3d like FF7 and want to replicate that. I find this strange still though because even the diehard ff7 fanboys agree that the game ages very poorly in that department (It's like the one thing they'll agree to about people who don't gush over that game). 

Regarding the actual gameplay part.. I e-mailed them and they responded in a day. yay...I'm not sure if I should relay what they told me in a private e-mail so I wont. But I'll just say that nothing they assured me seemed unfaithful to rogue-likes, and everything they told me makes me want this game more... I shall support as soon as I have the cash to do so after blowing it on galciv3 =P'

edit: nm, upon backing it says estimated delivery is june 2016

Beta keys have been given out to selected backers, including myself. Excite! I uhh. think I can't talk about it though, so I wont. But I will as soon as beta NDAness is over and whatnot. That said if anyone else backed it and haven't been checking your ks accounts or whatever, stay tuned for your key =)