• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I think we should address the current plague in gaming.

7 posts in this topic

I'm not normally one to bitch or complain about things in gaming, especially ones that are old or already accepted by gamers as a whole. The only thing is, I don't think we, as gamers, should sit by and watch this happen to gaming any longer. What I'm talking about is dirty "DLC" and microtransactions in games.

"DLC!? Bad? You're trolling!"

No, I'm not saying DLC is bad. A lot of times DLC is pretty damn awesome - it adds more to the game and normally does so cheaply. I'm saying pay-to-add "DLC" is something we're seeing more often than not. Destiny, though a beautiful game, is a very good example of this. The original idea compared to what was released and then how much the add-on content costed players was just stupid. Other games have done it before Destiny though, with Payday 2 and even Call of Duty pulling some shit in there. DLC is downloadable content - content for a game that you have to download to add. Some games take this a step further by selling it as a DLC when all the pack or item adds is a small part of the game, a couple skins or guns.. things that we look at and go "who the hell is dumb enough to pay for those?" Even games we love (such as Destiny, to appease everyone I pissed off) are guilty of doing this even though we ignore it.

DLC coming out marked a time where devs didn't have to add so much time to make something for their game and could release the finished game before sending out a free or paid epansion that added special things to the game like a pack of items or types of items and a map that didn't fit into the game and you didn't need when the game was released. What it's become openly is a way to scam people who like their game into buying extra things. I've seen single character skins for games online for $4.99 and maps for over $9.99 each. Weapons on some games can cost (early unlocks and new content are bundled here) $0.99 to about $2.99 for one. Those are the things I'm talking about. Single things that cost more than they ever should and usually on games that don't deserve them but people pay anyways.

Microtransactions

I'd hope you all know why this is a parasite on gaming. Games are coming out where you're paying money for.. well, anything. A lot of the things I mentioned under DLC are now labeled "Microtransactions" but before the microtransaction boom they were called DLC and people ignored them. I honestly contribute these finding their way out of mobile games and into console gaming due solely to dirty dealings in DLC getting too cozy to just be left alone.

"So do we stop buying DLCs and Microtransactions?"

Do what you like with your money but we need to address and accept the fact that not all games are worth our money for DLC. If you see a microtransaction for something you want, you can do what you like. The only thing is that if we as gamers don't stand up and say what's wrong and what's right to the devolopers of these games it's going to keep happening and eventually we'll get a game where all you get is a plain map and everything else is a buy-in item or add-on. I've bought DLCs and what people now dub microtransactions (when they were all still under "DLC" )in the past myself, but on games I felt that deserved my money and that were well published. Just be careful when you're out buying things online like the games you buy at the store - pay for what you like or what you looked forward to and don't pay just because that DLC is what makes the game playable (seriously, wait for the GOTY edition. 90% of games get one.). If the game isn't playable [enjoyably] without a $10 purchase it likely doesn't deserve to exist.

The whole point is that, in my hopes, we'll eventually leave the "I'd like some game with my DLC, please" days and maybe someday get more games like Sly Cooper or Bioshock that had the whole game without the microtransactions or DLC, and like others such as the early days of Uncharted 3 or even in Skyrim where all the DLC were worth your time because they had story or multiplayer maps that didn't overcost you or their burden overstay the welcome in your wallet (especially for PS3 Skyrim players who got a 50% discount on all DLC because we got it a year late which showed good business practice from Bethesda). Games where the Devs care about their game and don't want you to buy 2 games in total before you enjoy your now $120 purchase.

DISCLAIMER:

I'm not putting any of these games or the gamers playing them down. I personally like all of the games I've listed and they're popular. I know the games under "Bad DLC" are usually given a lot of shit but in this case it's from a place of love and not hate. The games listed are all awesome and appeal to many different gamers. If I wanted to shortstick a brand or game I would have searched for something really bad to mae example of but it's easier to use an already existing example. Thank you.

I don't like when people use Payday 2 as an argument against DLC because you don't need to buy them to play DLC missions, and most of them have been free or less than $5 weapon packs/ high production missions that absolutely warrant the price like the Alesso heist or Big Bank. But in regards to the rest of the DLC argument; it's kinda like religion. You're always wrong, no matter what your opinion is.

Alexander452 and like this

I don't like when people use Payday 2 as an argument against DLC because you don't need to buy them to play DLC missions, and most of them have been free or less than $5 weapon packs/ high production missions that absolutely warrant the price like the Alesso heist or Big Bank.

I've heard mixed feelings about the gun DLCs being overpowered, not so much about the maps or other things. I'm genuinely looking into buying Payday 2 and Destiny both by their respective group bundles with DLCs included just so you know I'm not bias in this post - I'm saying that DLC which could/should have been already in-game were released seperately in dirty deals on some games people tend to flock to but get a green card to go through and people just sweep some under the rug and ignore the rest. I do understand your point and I get that Payday 2 gets a lot of shit but I'm gonna keep Payday as an example for the fact that there are about 30 DLCs which come to a total, alone, of over $100 and apparently plans for more (you gotta be honest, some of these could have been sent out as a free item added with the game no matter how cheap they are). Especially since if you want to play online without friends people will kick you for not owning DLC which means the DLC items and maps are so important to the community that they won't step down to the place of what I assume they consider the "free to play" of Payday 2? I don't know.

Edit: I made a small edit to the post on Payday 2. That should make it seem less bashing towards what is popularly a good game.

DLC for the most part is fine as those that add new levels/maps can add length to a game you enjoyed playing while skins are completely optional and it doesn't effect the game if you have them or not, This whole concept of DLC taking something away from games only really applies to a very small minority and nowadays when they try that bullshit they get called out on it so less develpers will want to risk it.

likes this

You could say that you need to weigh the price of the DLC and the content of the DLC. 

Sadly most of the times the price are higher than the actual content in the DLC. 

DLC is a tricky subject.

Madfinnishgamer38 and like this

I'll explain what this all meant. The whole point is that people are calling out games such as Destiny and Payday 2 - games well known and well loved, for the DLC bullshit that we let slide in other games without an issue. The big "microtransactions" dilemma we're seeing is really just what people used to call DLC on other games before next-gen where it wasn't blatant that they were indeed microtransactions. And I'm gonna add a disclaimer on the big post saying I'm not shortsticking or shit talking any games on the example lists because trust me, I can find some REALLY terrible games and use them as examples but I don't want to because the point will be lost. Basically guys, I'm saying to watch out for dirty dealings in DLC and other gimmicy ways for Devs to milk more money from you. I wasn't badmouthing skins or guns in general on DLCs. I was making an example that.. well, look at those prices. I didn't even list the prices I've seen SINGLE GUN SKINS go for or the highest amount I've seen for a single gun DLC because it's so stupid that you guys would think I'm lying. Those things are what I'm trying to say avoid. That and games that without the DLC you can't play "correctly" or get the same enjoyment out of. Yes, maps and extra campaign make the game more replayable but it doesn't make the game more fun - it gives you the Christmas Day feeling where you're opening a present and you feel all tingly from when you were a kid. I'm trying to say, I guess, that we're not all innocent for buying that one really cool gun skin for like $.49 or more because we felt like we deserved it or that overpriced map pack we shouldn't have got but fuck it, right? This post was to say that if we keep doing that we'll eventually see microtransactions sink into games like we have with DLC and games with no game that is purely playable via DLC (and those games already exist but they're usually rare).

Basically Jim Sterling's talked about this same thing.