• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sargefan19

Why does Unity get such a bad rep

14 posts in this topic

I don't understand why people bash game for using Unity with some saying "the second i see the logo it is a huge turn off". I just don't get how some people being dicks like Digital Homicide can turn the rep of something that has produced some amazingly good games into something that some people seem to despise. I know asset flipping is a very very bad move on THE DEVS who actually do its part but why associate them with an engine that is in all sense made to help people be able to make the games making process easier. I guess it could be a case of the small percentage getting all the noise.

Despite being a great engine, The asset flip is what it gives it an awful reputation.

Same will happen to Unreal Engine as soon as people get the hang of it, it's happening already, but in a way smaller scale.

Unity does not have a bad reputation,

It has great reputation in the gaming-dev community. And it's the only reputation that matters.

"Gamers" may say that games in unity have bad graphisc, whilte it is not true. Graphisc are made by the designer not by engine. 

"Gamers" may say that games in unity have bad graphisc, whilte it is not true. Graphisc are made by the designer not by engine. 

You mean "graphics," right?

And really, the only reason Unity gets a bad rep is the asset flip controversy, but the issue isnt as much with the engine but with the company that doesn't police this activity. If Valve and Unity did anything to stop this it wouldn't be an issue at all.

Unity gets a bad rep because devs have been flooding Steam with crappy half-baked "simulator" games, personal projects that have no place on a store and generaly crappy asset flips, so when people hear "Unity" the first thing that comes to their mind is all those crappy games.

I never knew it supposedly had a bad rep... I only hear good things about it, and am semi interested in learning it for myself.

I don't judge games based on the engine unless I know the engine is weak and doesn't fit the game they tried to make [ie: destruction-based games on Unity Engine]. The gamers who get turned off at the sight of the engine the games runs on should really just give the game an unbiased shot. I know Unity isn't the only engine getting crap from gamers (I can't list all of them offhand but there are like 3 engines people use to make REALLY bad games, including Unity when you look in Steam) and basically any engine a programmer can use to run their game is gonna get a bad rep once enough people have made games with it that have bad reputations themselves. I'd account those people being weary for the same reason I am with Sonic Team anymore - they want the games made to be awesome but when you play it, more likely than not, the game is gonna have some really screwed up issues in it (depending on if you know what games match what engines they're made on).

It sad that this engine have this bad reputation because soo many great game are mad with this engine like Cities Skyline, Kerbal Space Program, Endless legend and etc...

All because of the asset flipping and steam lack of Quality check in the greenlight that give the engine his bad reputation...

It sad that this engine have this bad reputation because soo many great game are mad with this engine like Cities Skyline, Kerbal Space Program, Endless legend and etc...

All because of the asset flipping and steam lack of Quality check in the greenlight that give the engine his bad reputation...

Oh, this stuff doesn't even go through Greenlight, it just jumps onto the storefront without anybody looking at it.

When you have default skins, models etc. that allow for quick and dirty games to be made, these poorly designed games reflect on the engine. When games that are design by actual developers who use the engine but import models etc. you see some very impressive visuals and optimization. Good example is an Early Access game called Layers of Fear. 

You know what has and even worser rep? Game maker. Yeah try beating that. 

As far as i know unity isn't that bad.

Jim Sterling did a video I believe on the postives of Unity. To be honest it's not a bad engine and really if you put the effort into something you might actually get a good game. But, devs just focus on the asset flip basically throwing a game together for a few hundred bucks and try selling it for 99 cents on Steam. Unity assets should be used as a place holder where you can develop your own stuff around it. To many vanilla paste Unity games is why it gets a bad rep. But, in reality it's a good platform and engine for games.